Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new game, PvE oriented, sandbox(?)... (WARNING: WoW qq included)

DeuiDeui Member Posts: 61

I've decided to stop playing WoW. It's not final decision yet, but I'm pretty much done with that game. Other games I've played: Warhammer, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane, Darkfall, Runescape, f2p games such as Dragonica, Rappelz, Priston Tale.

I'll use WoW as an example of things I don't like, as it's a game most people know:

Linearity, vanilla had several leveling areas to choose from and you didn't complete every quest in each area. After two years of playing one could still find new areas to level in and new quests in the areas you've already spent some time in. In TBC leveling was total tunnelvision playing. One character and you pretty much saw everything Outland could offer, only last 2-3 levels you could choose from two very different areas.

Repetiveness and no requirement for brains for completing quests. In Valley of Trials I killed 10 boars and gathered apples, 60 levels later it was Felboars and planks, another 10 levels later it was Nerubians and ammunition boxes.

General easiness, no challenge. Hit 80, faceroll through TotC normal 20 times a day for full epic, woohoo.

Current WoW endgame, it is quite sad to be honest. The coliseum patch was obviously filler content and as such not meant to be anything amazing, but it is the worst content patch yet seen. Some many things lack innovation and dedication in the patch, that I don't bother listing it all.

Dailies, heroics, reusing content. Dailies... let's not go there. Heroics... I don't even have the energy to write down what all is wrong with these things.

Faction change and race change services. Name changing is okay.

Achievements... UGH.

Shiny, unrealistic, eye-catching armor and weapons. I prefer simple, rough and ugly looking items. If some item is überpowerful compared to 95% of the items, then I don't mind if it's a bit more shinier.

The absolutely terribad, whiny, attention-seeking, short attention spanned, childish, wannabe community that WoW has. I ask myself why I've spent my younghood playing games like Runescape and WoW.

Etc... Sorry for bout that, but I felt like I needed to say few things about the game, made me actually realize even better how crappy of a game it is. The game I'm looking for should not be identified very well from the qualities listed above.

I found Anarchy Online and Shadowbane somewhat interesting, but I didn't play them even nearly enough to judge them. The futuristic atmosphere of AO didn't appeal to me though. Darkfall too, but I've realized I'm more of a PvE person, and maybe RP. I love exploring and crafting. The absolutely best thing are long dungeon brawls towards unknown with few other people. Sandbox category attracts me. Random PvP fights are okay, I like those too. Not instanced arenas or battlegrounds where you try to get as much some stupid marks or points as you can. I also enjoy having very complex ways to specialize my character. In WoW there's only one good spec to play at a time and it's extremely easy to figure out. I'm not gonna be hardcore about gaming in the future though, so something that fits for a casualish as well. Above all, game needs to be innovative and most likely not meant for mainstream. 

At the moment I've put my eyes on Ryzom and Everquest II. I don't know much about Everquest, understood it's in same category as WoW, but different. Tbh, it doesn't require that much for a game like WoW to be descent, so Everquest might be totally different story. Ryzom seems like a very potential game. I just can't test any game really, as I have only mini pc where I'm for the next couple weeks. If you have any opinions about these two or have any other game to recommend, you are free to leave a comment.

Thanks for reading and sorry again for the whiny part. 

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

FFXIV~

PvE game, sandboxy elements (although its still quite a themepark), crafting has a big role, comes out in a year. If you have any questions do ask.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

The basic problem with any game that effectively doesn't have an end and one that you might end up playing for years is that it is going to be repetitive. With WoW and all the other games they try to keep things fresh but you are right you are doing the same thing at level 10 as you will be at 20, 30, 40, 50, etc just with different names and more impressive numbers.

WoW has decent lore but they aren't a slave to it and they are working to make everything accessible to everyone that plays. This has the result of making it too easy for some.

Everquest II is a fantasy MMORPG and as such has all the same elements of the genre. Questing, exploring, leveling by gaining experience, etc. EQ2 did evolve from the original Everquest so it does have very deep lore and they took many of the original elements and expanded on them. There is a ton of content to explore and lots ways to spend your time in the game. The general community is very good and the game overall is a lot of fun. But, the servers can be a bit empty and leveling is going to be a bit lonely for quite a few levels. But, this is going to be true if you are starting new in any established MMO game.

LotRO is also very good if you are into PvE and running around doing quests and it has some appealing aspects and the community for it also very strong.

Vanguard is probably is the most detailed MMO but most of the servers seem very quiet of late.

Aion is going strong at the moment and is very much worth serious consideration. It doesn't have the details that the other games have or the content but the added element of PvP does give it an interesting twist if you are into that. It is not a perfect game but it has a lot of potential.

Ryzom didn't impress me enough to stick with it so I can't really give it a fair appraisal.

Lots of good games out there to play and try and really the best thing to do is to not listen too much to either the doomsayers or the rabid fans and just give the game a try. It doesn't have to be new to the market to still be fun.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I would suggest you try VG first. Coming from WoW, it would feel the most familiar but has nothing of the stuff you hate about WoW. It's one of the best MMOs I've played, but SOE seems to have it on life-support. It's still worth trying to see what a really good, PvE MMO with a gigantic world looks like. Also, VG's druid class is the best druid class in any MMO I've tried.

I currently play Ryzom, but it's different than WoW. Actually, it's a LOT different, but it has the best world of any MMO I've tried mainly because of the mob AI and weather/seasons. It feels more "alive" than any other MMO I've tried. The community is tiny, but mature, friendly and very helpful. I won't go into all the things I like about the game, but will say it's worth taking a look at. Especially since it has a 3 week long trial.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

you said something about enjoying plainer items and not so shinny...as well as something different from wow and you said you enjoyed AO....

Come play fallen Earth its got what you like...and if you want non-liner...this is the best you go (aside from EvE but that is up for debate)

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

I don't think you hate WoW.  You're just bored.  You've done it all to varying degrees and it's time to move on.  I'm in the same boat.  I want something new also, but nothing has caught my fancy yet.  I quit playing WoW about 6 months ago or so after 3 or 4 years on and off.  I went back to trying all my old games like AC, AO, AoC, EQ, EQ2, SWG, D&DO, etc.  Nothing can keep me interested for more than a month. I don't care whether it's sandbox or themepark, pve or pvp, I'm just looking for something entertaining.  So I keep doing trials and waiting for the new stuff to come out. 

• DeuiDeui Member Posts: 61

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I kind of scrapped Aion, Fallen Earth, EvE and maybe LotRO off the list. Mainly interested in Ryzom, Vanguard, Everquest II and Darkfall at the moment. The final fantasy one sounds interesting too, but I'm looking for something that has been already released. Is there any other gems I might have missed?

Indeed it's about the time to stop playing WoW. Spent quite a lot time in it, so it's normal to become bored of it. Even feel physical sickness sometimes, when I log in the game. I lived in denial, not fully realizing I was addicted in unhealthy way. Still reading forums.

I forgot to add one thing, even though I'm going to "pointless" details now, but I'm quite fond of animalistic races, something less human-like. Game like Aion is aesthetically a nightmare for me when it comes to races and armor/weapons at least. Something so predictable and cliché about it, makes me yawn. Reminds me of a 90's Hollywood movie with Matt Damon and Julia Roberts as main actors... or something the like. In WoW my favourite was female tauren druid bar none.

Just read about blood mage class in Vanguard. Offensive healers, who use their blood to transfer health to others and can grow symbioses on themselves and stuff like that. That's what I'm looking for!

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

You mentioned animalistic races, so I'll half seriously point you to Earth Eternal. It's Free to Play/Item Mall, and after a download it "plays" in your browser.

I'm not recommending it, but it can be a diversion.

• I think you'd enjoy Vanguard, at least for a while. It has animalistic races and I'm sure at least one of them is able to be the blood mage class that caught your eye.

I played Vanguard for a month or three recently... in the end it was just too quiet on the server I chose and the world felt souless almost. Like an empty playground. That and the white lines that upon crossing would cause my screen to freeze for a moment, my character to die for no reason or my pc to just crash completely. After a while, I got so nervous about crossing the lines I'd put it off for as long as possible, which was just stupid lol.

In fact, before you get too excited about Vanguard test to see if your pc can really handle those white grid lines.

I'm playing Fallen Earth at the moment and absolutely love the change from elves and orcs to shooting a zombie clone in the head, looting a can of beer and cracking it open on the spot for a well earned post-apocalyptic drink. :) It's the only thing I've played, apart from EVE, that truly felt different to WoW.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

Its normal to get bored with a game, but keep in mind there are some people who either don't get bored so easily, have played more casually, or who have recently found WoW and it still has their interest.  I'm not defending WoW, just all games in general.

One that wasn't on your list is DDO.  I'm an ex-WoW player also, and I've found the switch to DDO very acceptable.

For me, the F2P works.  I work 7 days a week, so best I can do is very casual.  I spend a little at the cash shop and that lasts for months.  The gameplay is linear, it lacks huge overland areas to explore (I've only found two overlands and both were small), but the quest driven dungeon crawls are excellent!  So far I've got a level 5 Pally and a level 1 Cleric (don't laugh, I'm trying to see how far up in rank I can get her without leveling up).

Community is decent, albeit a bit nerdy for some tastes (when I left last they were arguing about whether or not its possible to miss on a swing and still crit).  There is some sort of PvP but I never tried it out.

GL finding your game,

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

My comp should be able to run Vanguard pretty well. I don't mind small playerbase either.

Ah, yeah, what I said about WoW is just due to the fact I've played it too much. If any new player or person who is considering starting to play it, don't be let down by what I said, it can be very enjoyable for new player and will have a lot of content to offer. My opinion =/= fact.

DDO is also a game I'm probably not going to play. I think Vanguard is quite similar, and I figured the latter is more my type.

Another thing I forgot to say is that I'll play it with my better half, so something that is convenient to play together would be great.

Current plan is to try Ryzom for starters, that is for sure. Next I'll ponder if I'll buy Vanguard or Everquest II or both. If all else fails, I'll try to get bit deeper into Anarchy Online, see if I like it after all. I'll keep Fallen Earth in my mind as well.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

When you first log in to Ryzom, bump the graphics settings to max. The default settings look like crap. Also, there's no jump in Ryzom. It's a small thing, but you'd be surprised how many people that puts off.

And with VG, it's default graphic settings seem to be set to destroy your computer. It's possible to tweak the ini file and get it to run quite nicely on even a middle of the road machine. You'll still get the pause across the chunk line, but my comp never crashed while crossing one.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Sounds like EQ2, LotRO, VG or AoC to me.  EQ2 is hard to get into today though because servers are very top heavy and not just in pure level but gear.  I have an 80/175 bruiser in EQ2 but since he's only T1 geared it means I sit out for 9/10 events.  Catching up is damn near impossible since there is no incentive for those in T3/4 gear to rerun other tiers... until they can't make numbers then they gear up "someone".

LotRO and VG are open world though personally found VG invisible zone lines annoying and LotRO combat less than thrilling.  AoC is another option its instanced but large explorable areas with many "look see" moments and solves the group/solo thing by giving you the option to enter a solo or group version of the zone.  Combat in AoC is wildly different than most MMOs and is either great or terrible depending on your preference.

Visually AoC looks best, LotRO has the next best environment followed by VG, EQ2 has the next best PC/NPC models with VG and LotRO trailing.

Performance wise AoC and LotRO perform great, EQ2 and VG are pigs even 5 years later on current gear.

Games to avoid like the plague for you... Aion, WAR, DDO, GW.  All pretty much on rails or repeated content to advance.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you right now having a hard time locking down an MMO.  I actually currently have a sub/trial in CO, Aion, EQ2, EQ, AoC and CoX.

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Well EQ2 has TONS to do, but... they wowinized it.. they made leveling super fast, and they turned down the pve challange to supereasy "until you get ot endgame" so much, that i left before they started changes i was having the mmo time of my life.  I think of trying it again, but it just isn't for me....

Lotro to me is where it's at, my issue is there isn't alot of instances pre expansion, but if you can stop and smell the roses.. it's a GREAT trip.. lots of fun, tons to do at cap too now..  I really enjoy the classes

VG has the best classes in any mmo but err. it's just as you say "on lifesupport"

to me, lotro being only 2 years old, and with things they have added, and will add, are not affraid to ramp up the challange.. the game gets harder as you progress which is cool.. If you want long term potential, play lotro.. imo.. i personally feel like i keep leaving to try everything, and comeing back..

Fallen earth.. is pure crap imo.. great idea, but horribly implimented.. the PVE is so so easy it's sad, crafting pointless with lack of boa.. infact.. it is more like a post appoctolypic walmart then wasteland..

lotro might feel alot like wow and that "could" turn you off..

DDO is a blast.. great "2nd" mmo..

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Idk...my suggestions are games like:

*Ryzom

*Fallen Earth

*Vanguard

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691
    Originally posted by Vaedur

DDO is a blast.. great "2nd" mmo..

Its also free so no harm in trying it but kind of everything you didn't want in one package =(  Also because of how D&D works your toon can be ez-mode or wicked hard depending on your gear/build.

• SerulithSerulith Member Posts: 92

To be honest with you i felt the same way about WoW. I have tried many MMOs since i left WoW and i end up getting bored with those ones too. A LOT of the MMOs on the market today are very similar and offer the same crappy experience.

I have tried Lotro, Aion, Champions Online and Fallen Earth.

LotRO was great, however it now has become another mindless game that offers no challenge or entertainment at all. Aion is perhaps the worst MMO i have played when it comes to offering players new experiences and challenging content. Champions online...well it was fun for the first hour or so.

Now as for Fallen Earth. I went into this game expecting to quit after 10 seconds of play, however now i am planning to Subscribe to the game. A lot of people dont like it because its too different, and IMO thats what the MMO market is lacking at the moment.

I think your feeling a little sick of the way current MMOs play out and the type of content they provide, your sick and tired of the same crap all the time. Unfortunately most of the MMOs on the market at the moment offer the same lackluster experience. I suggest giving games you would not consider playing a go, you will be surprised.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I would, like many people, put my vote in for vanguard.  Lots of races, classes, huge world, great gfx  (if you got a ok comp), complex crafting and diplomacy line.  You will notice a bug once and a while but the game has come a long way! 

my 2 cents...

ohh and also quite a few ground mounts, and theres flying mounts, player crafted boats you can fish off of..

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Thank you so much for the informational posts. I'm going to test these games:

Anarchy Online

Ryzom

Vanguard

Everquest II

Age of Conan

Gonna keep a long break from games if none of them interest me. My better half wouldn't like Fallen Earth, and Age of Conan is pretty questionable as well. For some reason I have big hopes for Ryzom. What  is the minium level I should reach in each game before judging them? 

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by Deui

Anarchy Online

Ryzom

Vanguard

Everquest II

Age of Conan
    Gonna give up on MMORPG's altogether if none of them work for me. My better half wouldn't like Fallen Earth, and Age of Conan is pretty questionable as well. For some reason I have big hopes for Ryzom. What would be the minium level I should reach in each game before judging them?

I played AO so long ago im not sure, want to say i got to 30 something.. then SWG came out and i bailed. 

Ryzom sounds perfect till i cant jump or fall over a 3 inch cliff- but it is a great sandbox from what everyone says. 

For Vanguard i would play a few char. to 20's just to see what you like.  with 15 classes or so, trying multiple one would be in order.

EQ2  not sure here, i got to 15 and had to bail, i had a gfx card that just wouldnt work.

AOC couldnt play the beta even, just not my cup of tea.

Good luck on your quest :)

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• AbalisAbalis Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Deui

Anarchy Online

Ryzom

Vanguard

Everquest II

Age of Conan
    Gonna keep a long break from games if none of them interest me. My better half wouldn't like Fallen Earth, and Age of Conan is pretty questionable as well. For some reason I have big hopes for Ryzom. What  is the minium level I should reach in each game before judging them? 

Vanguard: The classes really open up at around adventuring level 20 and each are pretty unique in how they can be played.  Each of the spheres levels up independently...if you want to really get into the lore (and the lore is really interesting, imo), diplomacy is where you want to go.  I found some interesting and rich diplo questlines in my racial starting zone (my character is a Kurashasa) and you get gear and rewards for it, too.  Depends on how deeply you want to go into VG...if you're just interested in adventuring then I'd just focus on that one sphere.  Crafting is deep and interesting as well...with my carpenter it really opened up in the 20's since I could begin learning how to build sloops (first tier of ships), and that was great. :)