Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons for not buying this game (Big Ifs and stuff)

Comments

• raschoonyraschoony Member Posts: 7

I've read alot of pro vs. con's on the game.... not sure where everyones getting the extra info than the others... seems too early to be truly hating/loving the game.

I have been out of the mmo community for 2 yrs (overseas tour) and got back a week ago... now I'm looking for my "next game". I've found a few i might "nibble on" but I have a good feeling I'll be counting down till this release.

P.S. any suggestions on a game to get my fix?!?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by benmou13

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Hauken

Im prolly gonna buy/try this game when it comes out, but there are some reasons that might change my mind...

Heavy instancing
    Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)
    RMT. I rufuse to pay extra money to be able to compete in a game.
    Poor crafting system.
    Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

Not much i guess, but that can be enough for me to stay away.

We really know too litle of the game yet for your reqsons to be valid.

If you count zooning when travel from one planet to another it will most likely have that, but there is some logic to that at least unless the game actually adds space travel. But I heard that the planets in themselves shouldn't be instanced.

The RMT seems to be a rumour, true or not. Unti we actually got some facts about it we cant say much. Maybe the game wont have a monthly fee or the RMT wont be in the game, we have to wait on this.

Do you actually know how the crafting system work? Same thing with class diversity.

This thread is way too early, Bioware havnt given us enough information on how the game will work for us to be sure.

I don't think TOR will be the saviour of MMOs (that will be Guildwars 2) but it will be something fresh that most likely will affect the other games too. It is nice that someone does something different.

RMT is not rumoured if you read the terms and conditions to beta testing it clearly states cash shop and what has put me off this game is its targetting the wow crowd its aimed at casual gamers not the hardcore which is frustrating cause then theres no real challenge but i will still play this game cause its bioware and i love starwars

Every single MMO out has the exact same sort of terms.  WoW has a cash shop. Instead of items, it offers race(soon), faction, looks, name, server changes. 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Moirae

Not again. Look, if you don't want to buy it then don't, but only idiots go by unsubstantiated rumor like you are. We know very little about the game, so you really need to get over the "jumping the gun" mentality and BLOODY WAIT.

Look this is just a few points that I feel will maybe keep me away from the game ok? Its just how it is. If you are gonna buy/play it no matter what, its fine by me. Im just not gonna waste my time and money on something that MAYBE will not be my cup of tea.

I see nothing wrong with me having opinions on this matter. Heck if I and all you others cant have opinions on this matter then this forum has no purpose.

Except that you don't even know if those things have anything to do with fact. They're all rumor from other web sites. If you were basing it on fact, then you'd have an argument. We don't have enough information to make those judgements.

Lets look at your points each in turn, shall we?

1. Heavy instancing

Nowhere has anyone mentioned instancing. I'm on the SWTOR website, and there's not even fact on the forums about that, just occasional rumor.

2. Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)

Again rumor. You don't know whether it will be completely open world or not. And its not the end of the world if it isn't.

3. RMT. I rufuse to pay extra money to be able to compete in a game.

Again rumor. They said they were considering it as one method, they did NOT say it was the final method. If you can't recognize the difference between the two, then you need mental help.

4. Poor crafting system.

Knights of the Old Republic didn't have an intense crafting system, and yet it was still fun and involved without becoming bogged down. And again, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FORM THE CRAFTING SYSTEM WILL TAKE. So AGAIN, its nothing but rumor.

5. Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

ONCE A-BLOODY-GAIN YOU DON'T KNOW THAT. Its just rumor. So you are basing your "opinion" on NOTHING but rumor.

• DraijkDraijk Member Posts: 1

Not again. Look, if you don't want to buy it then don't, but only idiots go by unsubstantiated rumor like you are. We know very little about the game, so you really need to get over the "jumping the gun" mentality and BLOODY WAIT.

Look this is just a few points that I feel will maybe keep me away from the game ok? Its just how it is. If you are gonna buy/play it no matter what, its fine by me. Im just not gonna waste my time and money on something that MAYBE will not be my cup of tea.

I see nothing wrong with me having opinions on this matter. Heck if I and all you others cant have opinions on this matter then this forum has no purpose.

Except that you don't even know if those things have anything to do with fact. They're all rumor from other web sites. If you were basing it on fact, then you'd have an argument. We don't have enough information to make those judgements.

Lets look at your points each in turn, shall we?

1. Heavy instancing

Nowhere has anyone mentioned instancing. I'm on the SWTOR website, and there's not even fact on the forums about that, just occasional rumor.

2. Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)

Again rumor. You don't know whether it will be completely open world or not. And its not the end of the world if it isn't.

3. RMT. I rufuse to pay extra money to be able to compete in a game.

Again rumor. They said they were considering it as one method, they did NOT say it was the final method. If you can't recognize the difference between the two, then you need mental help.

4. Poor crafting system.

Knights of the Old Republic didn't have an intense crafting system, and yet it was still fun and involved without becoming bogged down. And again, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FORM THE CRAFTING SYSTEM WILL TAKE. So AGAIN, its nothing but rumor.

5. Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

ONCE A-BLOODY-GAIN YOU DON'T KNOW THAT. Its just rumor. So you are basing your "opinion" on NOTHING but rumor.

1. Agreed Instancing trashes immersion. 

2. Agreed, ROTW was crap

3. Disagree, I used to think this way, but now that my play time has been drastically reduced over the years I'm much more willing to chip a few bucks to keep up with the herd, only if its RMT based without subscription. I mean in comparison to subscriptions RMT could even be cheaper, considering 5 straight years of WoW, 6 Years of UO, 6 Years of SWG, and then Off and on again with various other games. 

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by raschoony

I've read alot of pro vs. con's on the game.... not sure where everyones getting the extra info than the others... seems too early to be truly hating/loving the game.
    I have been out of the mmo community for 2 yrs (overseas tour) and got back a week ago... now I'm looking for my "next game". I've found a few i might "nibble on" but I have a good feeling I'll be counting down till this release.

P.S. any suggestions on a game to get my fix?!?

Eve, LOTRO, and fallen earth are all decent games. If swtor interests you, lotro is pretty good with story. One of them should keep you busy til TOR. I Think they all have trials.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Im prolly gonna buy/try this game when it comes out, but there are some reasons that might change my mind...

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.
    Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

Wow, if you are that attuned with the Force to know all this, maybe you PM me the next lottery numbers pls. Thanks.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

Let's just take these on their face value, as if we actually knew they were in the game, which we don't.

RMT is the only game breaker here for me. You put RMT in the game, and I can buy anything that speeds up leveling, like xp potions, or health potions, pets, gear, anytthing that gives me +1 to any stat, etc., and that's it, I don't play.

Otherwise, I'm willing to go with the rest just for this game. Normally I don't like heavy instancing, but with the multiplayer dialog system, this might actually be fun.

And there will most likely be an open world at least for RvR.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Heavy instancing I love instancing! This makes me want to buy it more!
    Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)  What? How do you mean?
    RMT. I rufuse to pay extra money to be able to compete in a game. So, there's a monthly charge and micro- transactions? That's a deal breaker for me...
    Poor crafting system. How is it poor?
    Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter. They will probably fix this.

One of my main selling points is whether or not there is an open (moddable) UI.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

I just don't know why its so hard to have pre-cu crafting god save it!

Crafter specific characters make it so people want to get 2 accounts >_<

Give me mining facilities  and research stations with varying qualities minerals to craft cool stuff!!!!!!

Dont make it so I put two lumps of coal, click a button and out pops a new sword !!! >=(

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by pmcubed

I just don't know why its so hard to have pre-cu crafting god save it!
    Crafter specific characters make it so people want to get 2 accounts >_<
    Give me mining facilities  and research stations with varying qualities minerals to craft cool stuff!!!!!!
    Dont make it so I put two lumps of coal, click a button and out pops a new sword !!! >=(

You're talking about galaxies, not SWTOR. You don't even know if crafting will be better, as good, or worse then SWGs. They said they're puting a lot of work into it. SWTOR probably won't be like SWG character limit, actually I know for a fact you can have multiple characters on one account, having to pay for mulitple accounts to play seperate toons on the same server is stupid.

Originally posted by Astralglide

Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)  What? How do you mean?

Rage of the wookies had horribly narrow paths and it was heavily, and I mean heavily instanced. Worst expansion imo.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Linear, themepark and casual. The basic three WoW clone recipes and reasons not to buy any MMORPG that is like that.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by Yamota

Linear, themepark and casual. The basic three WoW clone recipes and reasons not to buy any MMORPG that is like that.

Amen.  Never again will I play an MMO that funnels me.  I will also never play a leveling mmo again.  Must be skill based.  Some of you may say that, well you still level in a skill based system.  I say back that the difference is not exponential.  Nothing is more frustrating when trying to play with your friends and being separated by big level differences.  In a skill based MMO you can get together with any number of friends, head in any direction and still contribute in meaningful ways.  This type of MMO also encourages you to enjoy the journey more than the destination.

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

If you count zooning when travel from one planet to another it will most likely have that, but there is some logic to that at least unless the game actually adds space travel. But I heard that the planets in themselves shouldn't be instanced.

The RMT seems to be a rumour, true or not. Unti we actually got some facts about it we cant say much. Maybe the game wont have a monthly fee or the RMT wont be in the game, we have to wait on this.

Do you actually know how the crafting system work? Same thing with class diversity.

This thread is way too early, Bioware havnt given us enough information on how the game will work for us to be sure.

I don't think TOR will be the saviour of MMOs (that will be Guildwars 2) but it will be something fresh that most likely will affect the other games too. It is nice that someone does something different.

RMT is not rumoured if you read the terms and conditions to beta testing it clearly states cash shop and what has put me off this game is its targetting the wow crowd its aimed at casual gamers not the hardcore which is frustrating cause then theres no real challenge but i will still play this game cause its bioware and i love starwars

Wait, where did you say it says RMTs will be present?

Ah, yes, beta. Well, then it's settled. There is no way in their right minds that they would EVER change ANYTHING in beta so it MUST be... you know? Because it's just the way beta works. If it's in the beta, by god, it's in the release...

Laughable.

THE Rooster Nash

Originally posted by Ruyn

Amen.  Never again will I play an MMO that funnels me.  I will also never play a leveling mmo again.  Must be skill based.  Some of you may say that, well you still level in a skill based system.  I say back that the difference is not exponential.  Nothing is more frustrating when trying to play with your friends and being separated by big level differences.  In a skill based MMO you can get together with any number of friends, head in any direction and still contribute in meaningful ways.  This type of MMO also encourages you to enjoy the journey more than the destination.

I really I don't think anybody has much to try and persuade you, everybody has their own style when it comes to games. Some prefer a level system, some prefer skill based.

"Skill" based games don't mean anything other then the character advances through abilities and not so much levels, I actually don't see much of a difference, higher levels mean more damage, higher skills mean more damage. Most leveling MMOs encourge the destination, you're correct, but ToR on the other hand, a game where Story is a main focus, encourges both. Yes both, the journey and where you're going to end up. That's how I see it though. You might see it a different way.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by RoosterNash

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

Wait, where did you say it says RMTs will be present?

Ah, yes, beta. Well, then it's settled. There is no way in their right minds that they would EVER change ANYTHING in beta so it MUST be... you know? Because it's just the way beta works. If it's in the beta, by god, it's in the release...

Laughable.

Hey, cut him some slack. He probably played WAR where the beta was actually BETTER than the release product. 

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

Only bad feeling I get about this game is, EA+LA+ Microtrans. Hard to see how that won't be a problem, but I hope for the best still.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

Only bad feeling I get about this game is, EA+LA+ Microtrans. Hard to see how that won't be a problem, but I hope for the best still.

I see your point on LA and RMT, I don't get get the problem with EA though. Every game with the EA logo I was looking forward to lived up to my expectations. Why is EA so bad?

Originally posted by greed0104

I see your point on LA and RMT, I don't get get the problem with EA though. Every game with the EA logo I was looking forward to lived up to my expectations. Why is EA so bad?

Who said they were bad? It's just the nature of the business they're in.

See you in the dream..

Who said they were bad? It's just the nature of the business they're in.

ah ok, thought you was saying they was to be watched out for, lot's of people seem to think so. I just was not sure why. But yeah I agree then.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

And yet in your player profile it says currently playing Aion and Champions Online, 2 games that are even more linear and themepark than WoW.

Next time you attempt (and fail miserably) at being a smartass you may want to check your profile and make sure it doesn't make you look like a total hypocrite.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah completely agree. Skill based games are so much more open and allow you, the player, to take the decision in which direction you want to go rather than the devs do it for you (or give you a choice of A or B).

WoW, with its massive success, seems to have convinced MMORPG devs that linear, themepark and casual is the way to go. In many ways it is the curse of the MMORPG genre, despite drawing alot of people into it.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

And yet in your player profile it says currently playing Aion and Champions Online, 2 games that are even more linear and themepark than WoW.

Next time you attempt (and fail miserably) at being a smartass you may want to check your profile and make sure it doesn't make you look like a total hypocrite.

Just a suggestion.

Not being a smartass, I am saying how I feel. I am sorry if that hurt your feelings.

And have you stopped to think that those games are the very reason I am saying I dont want to play any games like that again? Champions Online, I dont play anymore, and Aion I play only for the pretty gfx and while I wait for Mortal Online to be released.

But maybe I should amend my statement and saying that linear, themepark and casual MMORPGs are crap but better than nothing since there are no sandbox game currently worth playing.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670

Yeah completely agree. Skill based games are so much more open and allow you, the player, to take the decision in which direction you want to go rather than the devs do it for you (or give you a choice of A or B).

WoW, with its massive success, seems to have convinced MMORPG devs that linear, themepark and casual is the way to go. In many ways it is the curse of the MMORPG genre, despite drawing alot of people into it.

Skill based game with no cap or allocation considerations will mean endless grinding much like xp levels.  DF is a failed example of such implementation.  Allocation schemes like SWG might help, but then the old issue of dabbing into each tree for a vital skill or something like that, will lead to very rigid FOTM issues.

In simple words, no scheme is fool proof, yet

I really I don't think anybody has much to try and persuade you, everybody has their own style when it comes to games. Some prefer a level system, some prefer skill based.

"Skill" based games don't mean anything other then the character advances through abilities and not so much levels, I actually don't see much of a difference, higher levels mean more damage, higher skills mean more damage. Most leveling MMOs encourge the destination, you're correct, but ToR on the other hand, a game where Story is a main focus, encourges both. Yes both, the journey and where you're going to end up. That's how I see it though. You might see it a different way.

The difference is quite huge.

In level based games it is primarily your level and the level of your opponent that decides who will win. In a skill based game it is your skills (and attributes) that decide.

That sounds like it is not a big difference but in reality it is. Gaining levels is a linear path that you cant influence (you gain exp and your level go and and you automatically gain new skills) where as gaining skills is very much not linear. You choose what skills to advance in and in the end it is your choices that influence if you will defeat your opponent.

For example take Asherons Call. There you had a level indicator but that was just a measurement of how much experience you have gained. The efficiency of your character was based on your skills and that was (mostly) up to the player to decide what skills to focus on. So for example you could have a level 75 character that picked a various number of skills (combat and on combat related) and you had a level 50 that focused on a small set of combat skills and then it would be very possible that the level 50 would come out as the winner because his choice of skills was much more suitable for combat where as the other ones was a mix.

In a level based game that would be more or less impossible as someone with 50% higher level would have such an advantage in HP/Mana/Hit ratio/Dmg modifier and etc that the combat would be no contest.

Also big difference would also be that in a level based game the devs decide how your character plays (they define what skills you can have at level X) where as in a skill based game you the player decide. That for me is huge...