Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Go anywhere...do anything...but where is the FUN?

severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264

Downloading the free trial now, the 21 day one due to the graciousness of a fellow mmorpg.commer. Have spent most of the morning reading up on the game.

I guess the glaring question I have is ...where is the fun? Many many threads talk about how eve is a sandbox and you can "do anything".  Most of those threads then go on to talk about how boring missions are, how boring mining is, how boring high sec space is, and how realistically, you are looking at at least a few weeks to pvp.

So...umm....what ISNT boring?I dont mean this to be a troll, or flame bait..I am genuinely curious where the fun lies. This from someone who has tried the trial twice in the past and quit before it was over because...i was bored.

My goal in eve, with my limited knowledge, as of now is to be a pirate. I am drawn to the "bad guy" side of games generally. Any advice on steps to take early in the game to get away from the terrible beginner missions and staring at rocks stuff they guide you through as quickly as possible?

Long story short...how far into the game do i have to get to not be bored?

Comments

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

About as far until you can fit a Thrasher with tech 1 modules.

Oh, and join a corp.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

dunno i tried the trial but i did nt go further because in the uk its around 2/3s more expensive than any other mmo while it might be good its not worth that much more .

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556
    Originally posted by googajoob7

dunno i tried the trial but i did nt go further because in the uk its around 2/3s more expensive than any other mmo while it might be good its not worth that much more .

You know you can buy game time with in game money right?

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by marinrider

You know you have to be able to make atleast 350 million isk to buy for them?

Being able to make that amount of money in less than a month of playtime  requires some serious skill.

• severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264

Hmm..50 views, some prattling about in game time cards and 1 semi on topic, but vague response........

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556
    Originally posted by nightbird305

Being able to make that amount of money in less than a month of playtime  requires some serious skill.

I'm just saying, he would only have to pay at that increased rate for a little while (and last I looked it was like 250 mill)

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

You have to stop looking at it like a game and more like investment banking, that is if you find investment banking fun.

Originally posted by SonofSeth

You have to stop looking at it like a game and more like investment banking, that is if you find investment banking fun.

hmm. That sucks because....I do not.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Well first of all, I enjoyed running missions when I just started out, in fact, 2.5 years later I still enjoy running them on occasion. (You learn to do them with a variety of ships and fittings striving for optimization and speed.)

Some folks really enjoy mining, others playing the market, others learn to build things and find all of that fun.

What do you think is fun?  I know, perhaps its pvp, but you don't want to wait weeks or months to get into the action right?

Look no further than Red vs Blue, high sec empire wars which anyone can join right, right now if you like.

Learn more here:

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/14/view/forums/post/3140803#3140803

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well first of all, I enjoyed running missions when I just started out, in fact, 2.5 years later I still enjoy running them on occasion. (You learn to do them with a variety of ships and fittings striving for optimization and speed.)
    Some folks really enjoy mining, others playing the market, others learn to build things and find all of that fun.
    What do you think is fun?  I know, perhaps its pvp, but you don't want to wait weeks or months to get into the action right?
    Look no further than Red vs Blue, high sec empire wars which anyone can join right, right now if you like.
    Learn more here:
    www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/14/view/forums/post/3140803#3140803

Well, the red vs blue thing could be an entertaining distraction I suppose. Pvp just for the sake of pvp seems a tad empty, but the experience would be worthwhile i guess.........

I fear I may just be one of those people that eve players so disdainfully refer to as the people who "just dont get eve".

At any rate, the current generation of mmos sucks, and nothing else is keeping my attention.Eve has a community who is nothing short of passionate about it, so there has to be a reason.........I just wish I could figure out what it is !

Gonna stick the trial out and hopefully "ill  get it" this time :)

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

I would just like to say, don't try being a pirate right off the bat. It's pathetic. I've seen too many people who have been playing for a week or two try to take a cargo ship hostage and have said ship's corp come in and blow them up. Then watch the little pirate cry in local about how his big corp is going to back them up... it never does. My corp had the pleasure of blowing up one such pirate.

Just wait until your skills are trained high enough you can actually pop pilots that are combat centered before you attempt to do a lot of pirating. Or have a corp that you KNOW will back you up. I don't pirate, but I think that that'd be a pretty smart idea.

As for what's fun in EVE? The game is fun as a whole. A lot if it is the satisfaction of getting that perfect fit, and killing that one pilot that's been annoying you. Or just watching your ISK numbers go up and up. I don't think it's like a normal MMORPG though where I could rate it on the combat system, missions, and crafting systems alone. Because, the combat isn't anything all that special, the crafting is really just a lot of queues, and the missions are go kill X or Y. Although, unlike other MMORPGs, it's a challenge and it rewards you in many different ways. If you want the full experience, I recommend joining an experienced corp that has many members to help you. Even if you want to be an evil outcast, be polite to people more skilled than you for a bit. They may help you out. If you're a complete jerk, all you've done is lost a possible resource in your journey. Polite pirates do exist, and they're some of the most successful.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by nickelpat

I would just like to say, don't try being a pirate right off the bat. It's pathetic. I've seen too many people who have been playing for a week or two try to take a cargo ship hostage and have said ship's corp come in and blow them up. Then watch the little pirate cry in local about how his big corp is going to back them up... it never does. My corp had the pleasure of blowing up one such pirate.
    Just wait until your skills are trained high enough you can actually pop pilots that are combat centered before you attempt to do a lot of pirating. Or have a corp that you KNOW will back you up. I don't pirate, but I think that that'd be a pretty smart idea.
    As for what's fun in EVE? The game is fun as a whole.

retracted due to edit.

Originally posted by severity3

Originally posted by nickelpat

As for what's fun in EVE? The game is fun as a whole.

To sum up your response......"the thing you listed as something in eve you would like to do is a bad idea, and as for what is fun, I have no examples for you" ?

It's a good idea, I'm just saying wait before you jump into it. Pirating is a career path in which you'll be pitted against a lot of unknowns. Successful pirates are very skilled players, because they must defeat other players who's fits are complete mysteries, even the number they may be fighting is a mystery. I would recommend you roam with a group at least, until you have learned the game.

I am sorry about the lack of examples, I noticed that soon after posting and edited it.

---
    ---

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

I guess Im just looking for specific examples. Perhaps I should try asking in a different way.

You guys who love eve.........can you tell me about a moment where you were like "holy shit , this game is awesome"?

I swear to god im not trying to troll, but the guy who just responded to me a couple posts ago said pretty much the same as i kind of referred to in my OP.."crafting is boring, missions suck, mining isn't fun" etc.......

I dunno, maybe its just one of those abstract things that people have a hard time putting into words. Maybe the whole can't be disected into parts.........

• carackcarack Member Posts: 1

The reason that I keep coming back to Eve is for the immersion.  I love the feel of the game.  I love that you can multitask.  Lots of people explain it as more of a hobby than a game.  I have honestly never played more than a few months at a time, but I keep coming back because of the community, the immersion and the coolness factors of the game. 

The actual mechanics of the game can become boring and repetitive, but that is why it is a true sandbox game.  You are supposed to create your own missions and goals.  Usually that is why people say that you should get in with a group of people because it is an MMO; unlike some MMOs that are simply single player games that have people around you and some grouping.  I think most of the actual "fun" comes from your interactions with others and growing those relationships.  A lot of the time I would only log on to talk to the people in game and to contribute to my corp.

It is a niche game.  It is not for everybody.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i was nt trying to knock the game i hear its good i just think even with free expansions its overpriced . i did nt know its free when your earn a certain amount of isk which is interesting but i m guessing you have to play it pretty much non stop to make that amount . with me its not that i cant afford it because lets face it , its about the same as one night out but to me it seams quite greedy . i guess it does keep away the casual players and kids though . shame really because it keeps a lot of other people away too .

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by nightbird305

"eh ehm" I can testify to that fact, it does require some sort of skill but it deals more with understanding the FUNdamentals of eve itself.

The only way to learn these FUNdamentals is to pvp. PvP is the soul of eve you learn alot from it, you learn about fittings, skills to train, in what order to train said skills and how to capitalize on everything you have in your arsenal. And when you pvp you're usually moving from one place in the world to another slowly plugging yourself into the "eve system". Once you understand that "system" you will be making a cool 200mil a week if not more and I should know cos I do it.

This is not a game.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

o, come on guys, let's face it - some one was bound to notice eventually.

OP, EvE is a pyramid scheme, nothing more, nothing less. We all pretend on various forums like it's a deep, compelling, intensely competitive MMO, but actually we just recruit more suckers in return for the rewards

It's not an MMO.

We do it for the M&Ms

Give me liberty or give me lasers

I guess Im just looking for specific examples. Perhaps I should try asking in a different way.
           You guys who love eve.........can you tell me about a moment where you were like "holy shit , this game is awesome"?

I swear to god im not trying to troll, but the guy who just responded to me a couple posts ago said pretty much the same as i kind of referred to in my OP.."crafting is boring, missions suck, mining isn't fun" etc.......

I dunno, maybe its just one of those abstract things that people have a hard time putting into words. Maybe the whole can't be disected into parts.........

The best "Holy shit" story I have:

A while ago we were having trouble with a pirate. They had been bothering us and at the moment, had had us wardecced and kept in the same spot. Skirmishes were intermittent, but it really wasn't going anywhere. They declared war on us again for another two weeks, although this time they also kept our miners held up. So, we got tired of it. Being we couldn't take the lot of them ourselves we pooled the isk we had and hired three merc corps. So, one day, the pirates were out doing their trash talking act and we gave the word to all three corps at once. Suddenly, local becomes a lot more populated and the mercs dive in on the pirates. Two of the 5 pirates got popped and the three ran. The mercs chased them until they were deep, deep within Amarr space. We have not had one more problem.

At least, I remember that off the top of my head. There was also a time when I was out with a group and we were baiting and waiting for a pirate out in an icefield where we had an op going on. About 2 hours tracking the pirates patterns and then making our move. Sadly, he was more warp stable than we had though and got away.

Otherwise, it is a rather abstract thing that's hard to really explain. I guess it's not really each piece of the game, but the experience of playing it period.

---
    ---

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Maybe you have to be wired in the right way to like (love?) Eve?

For example, though my degree is in musical compositon, I don't really "get off" of intense muscial analysis. Oh, I find it interesting to a point but in the end I prefer listening/writing music to dissecting it and seeing how it's put together, where the macro beats are in relation to the micro beats and then discounting the macro beats to a point there the micro beats become the macro beats. Fun huh?

Ok, so the point.

I oftentimes get together with friends to listen to music. Some of the friends just have to follow along with the score and I prefer not to. I dont' really enjoy seeing the music while hearing it unless I want to see how something is done. It's not fun and it tends to muck up the real pleasure of music for me.

It is possible that the enjoyment of Eve really is greater than the sum of its parts or that the die hard fans are just wired in "just" the right way where it evinces true pleasure.

Just like I enjoy slow, deliberately paced movies I have friends who, no matter how intelligent they are (and they are very intelligent) just prefer quicker pacing and perhaps more strict time lines.

From what I can see, Eve is a great game. It seems like it has created a community that truly does live in the world. But there are some people who respond well to Eve and some who just aren't wired in a way to immediately appreciate it. I'm sure there are people who will never appreciate it.

So I wouldn't kill yourself trying to like/love eve. You need a sort of micro reason to keep at it. If you aren't being spurred on by some sort of internal pleasure at what you are doing at the moment or what you will be doing in the future then perhaps it will never happen. In any case, I hope you have fun and good luck.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

misleading new player also can be funny :D:D:D

griefing new players outside start system also is funny

BestSigEver :P

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Holy crap! What a tough question. It's not that it's hard to list great features it's hard to list bad ones.

This makes the so called "Fun" list extremely long.

Maybe you can help me out what do you want to do in Eve?

You want to Pve by running agent missions, exploring combat sites, ratting or maybe getting into wormholes with those crazy ass sleepers? Maybe Fleet up for L5 missions? 

A little pvp? Maybe some high sec baiting/flipping or 1v1 fights outside stations? Maybe a little solo pvp in low sec hunting available targets? Maybe some Faction Warfare? What about joining a high sec pvp corp that does some Merc work and War Decs for hire? Maybe you want to go around in a fleet through Wormholes and mess up people trying to colonize? Maybe Join some 0.0 alliance and get into those crazy 1000+ ship battles?

What about industry? Wanna be a trader/blockade runner? Wanna Mine solo or Mine in huge mining Ops in all types of safe and dangerous space? What about ninja salvaging or exploration using hacking and archeology tools? Wanna get into ship production?

Back to mining what type are you looking to get into? Ice? Gas? Roid? 

See it's not what you can do it's what you can't do. Now that's the question.

All of those things I listed are fun for some and boring to others one of the cool parts of Eve is finding out what you want to do.

For myself I learn something new all of the time in Eve, shit I know next to nothing about industry and i;ve been playing for two+ years.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

So many moments, where to start might be the challenge.

I was out in 0.0 about 4 months into playing the game when the SmashKill alliance attacked mine and wiped us out of space in a huge campaign that lasted about a month.

Or maybe it was POS-busting against BOB a few months later as part of a 75 battleship fleet and taking a station for our corp, which we traded for a mothership.

Then there was a return engagement teaming up with the Goonswarm to crush SmashKill and send them out of empire for good.

Or perhaps it was when my empire based corp was fighting for our lives against a superior merc  force.  One one epic battle we flew out in a 'hydra" fleet of about 50 frigates and raced through empire trying to out maneuver our foes, only to be totally surprised by a single suicide raven armed with smartbombs that killed over 2/3'rds of our forces.

I could go on, and every EVE player has their epic stories to tell.  Sure, there's lots of hard work and mudane tasks earning the ISK in order to go PVP (I"m in wormhole space now bringing in about a billion ISK a week) and soon I think I'll be returning to 0.0 with the upcoming changes to it in the December expansion.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

What kept me playing the game was actually just looking at all the cool looking ship possibilities there were from. I joined a corp within the first 14 days and started making money and interacting with my corpmates and training towards each ship goal I set. I ran missions, I joined corp mining ops for the community of it not so much the fun mechanics, I went ratting in low sec in a pack of frigs and desty's. I definitely got involved in the backstory of NPC factions and set a goal of getting to 0.0. I of course played at a time when ships were coming out in droves with each patch that made for new goals and new challenges. While it was pretty much grinding it never seemed like it because I interacted with my corp and we helped each other achieve all our goals.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139

I've played EvE for quite some time now. At first I apreciated the way the skills system worked, after reaching 1,6 million and going back to 00% bonus. It all started going downhill at this point. Long term games usually appeal to me, I figured I was patient. Well I guess I'm not. You really start to feel how long term the game actually is.

Despite having gotten fairly succesfull in-game, I just have gotten bored because of the constant waiting. Patience and wait is rewarded. The whole game is a time investment. I will admit, there are many endless possibilities in EvE. But only if you're an elite player with 80 million SP. Otherwise, as a newb, you're going to be restricted by many limitations. The skills system is just another universe with filled doors. Skill books are keys so you can open those doors. This process will consume alot alot of time, and overtime you reduce your restrictions and limitations.

Just the Trade section of skils alone is very time consuming to invest in. Wich seemed like a very usefull section to me personally as you can influence the Market with it.

For a period of time, I was addicted and obsessed. But the further you go, the more you realise its going to be a long road ahead of you.

Still playing atm, but I have the feeling I won't last long anymore.