Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surviving the sea of MMOs

serudanthserudanth Member Posts: 13

Online games are nothing new to most of today’s youth and the multitude of young at heart net savvies. Some of the more tenured in massive multiplayer online RPGs began with game now only remembered by few of today’s mainstream gamers. Although I’ll admit I’m not one of those fossils, I’ve played my fair share of games online.

But since the boom some years back, the sheer number of online games that saturated the market was filled with half-baked poorly made copies of each other. It was like eating at a buffet that only served boiled eggs. It was tiring and unhealthy.

Yes, there are a few notable titles out there like Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, etc. The only differences these games had were graphics, maintenance and a couple of features. But essentially these games just refined the battle process.

So how does an MMO stay afloat amid all these big-shot titles? The answer is fairly simple; the two paths to MMO enlightenment. The first is innovation and the other is refinement. Innovation should be obvious enough. If it’s an original idea and it happens to make the playing experience enjoyable, it’s bound to become successful which would hopefully send it down the second path: refinement.

Naturally with anything new, there are bound to be a few kinks in the system that needs to be addressed. That’s why so many RPGs came out claiming they filled in the missing blanks that the big MMOs missed out or refuse to address. Often times, they end up falling short of expectations or fail to fulfill other needs as a result.

I’ll make Luminary: Rise of the Goonzu as my example. The concept is intriguing.

You have a world that can be as simple as every other MMO if that’s how you roll or you could choose to get involved more economically or politically. Economically because almost everything you’ll be purchasing after the initial tutorial quests will be from other players. Why? It’s because the game encourages players to craft and sell because there is a real demand; thus the real-time economy. You choose what items you’d want to specialize in crafting: medicine, food, armor, weapons, etc. and make a living out of it.

Politically, each town sells shares of its income to players. Each shareholder is allowed to vote who the Town Chief is going to be. So the Chief assigns other positions and so on. On a much larger scale, there’s a server ruler called the Goonzu whose powers are almost on par to that of a Game Master.

But since the game thrives on a democracy, you’ll really need to build a reputation to get elected.

So what’s my verdict on the game? It’s pretty solid. Sure, it has cute graphics which might not be everyone’s thing but damn, the gameplay is addicting. A few things I would want to change though would be the interface and speed of battle. It can sometimes be more of a bother than helpful because it causes clutter; especially the quest dialogue box when in full view.

As for the battle, I just want it to be a little faster. It just has a tendency to drag if you’re out killing the same thing for hours. So does this MMO have the stuff to stay afloat? Sure it does. It has its worthy perks and all it has to do is try to make the interface less bothersome and maybe tweak the graphics for some folks and speed up the battles. Luminary has the potential to be a mainstay online game for a couple of years to come.

Well, I’ve been playing this lately so I think it’s good. How about you guys? Any criteria for a mainstay MMO?

Comments

• UshibaruUshibaru Member Posts: 65

wow.. nice post..

nice meeting you dude, I'm from Luminary also. I enjoy it a lot..

am happy that you find this game interesting eventhough it's pretty simple game.^^

welcome and nice meeting you.^^

• knighteeknightee Member Posts: 6

I usually stay clear of f2p anime style games, but I must admit your post caught my attention enough to want to find out about how they implemented the player affected social, economic and political -system.

thanks for posting this

To err is human, to Yarr is pirate

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

IMO, if you want to fairly compare games you need to compare P2P game to P2P games, and F2P games to F2P games.

Goonzu is a P2P game, so no need t compare it to WoW or LotRO.

In WoW or LotRO, unless you cheat, you must complete  content to progress the same as everyone else playing the game.

In F2P games, you progress at different rates depending on how much you use the item shop.

I think these are very different games. If you like progressing through the game depending on how much you spend in the item shop, that's fine, but I don't play those games.

I like a game such as WoW (not WoW really but the P2P model) where all characters progress the same depending on hours played in the game, and there is no way to buy your way past these hours with an item shop.

All characters in WoW are roughly equal per hour played.

All characters in Goonzu will depend on hours played PLUS money spent in item shop, which IMO means characters are not equal.

I mean look at the item mall in this game:

http://luminary.ijji.com/center/mall/item_main_list.asp?main_category=20

Looks like an Iwin button you purchase with your credit card.

The item mall even says:

"Want to accelerate? Buy these items to level faster and easier!". WTF??!! Why not just send them a bunch of money, and they can give me a maxed out toon, and I can quit the game?

• serudanthserudanth Member Posts: 13

I apologize for any misunderstanding. I didn't mean to compare these games outright but merely used those big titles to represent what they are: highly popular MMOs with strong backgrounds. Since today's MMO market is getting more and more saturated, I wanted to discuss what features and/or strategies does a new MMO have to employ in order to somehow be able to stand out at least a little.

Sure, it's not wise to try and compete with big name games right away. But in order to be successful, it takes more than just to have a solid game formula that's been done to death.