Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my newb review

joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

well i been playing LOTRO for the trial and here is my view on it.  hope you like.  if ya disagree please tell me why.

first off, love the way turbine lets you download a lil bit of the content and begin to play while the rest downloads.  The graphics and look of the game is nice.  would i compare it to EQ2 graphics on extreme? no, but the effects and "surrealness" was something i liked. the UI and the controls were also nice, the game could use a macro window like EQ2 but the ui and controls were easy enough to get used to.  The char. creation i wasn't really impressed with.  you have 4 races to choose from(man, hobbit, elve, and dwarves) and you could not assign any stat points.  the Gameplay was nice, liked the quest focus tracker(it had an arrow of showing you where to go to get to the next quest step[IE if you need to kill marsh Flys the tracker would lead you to the area of the flys])

now the things i didn't like which aren't a lot actually just 2 but these were, to me, major points for mmo's that i will sub to.

first off there isn't World PvP.  they have a thing called monster play where you can get access when one of your char's is lvl 10.  you can pick a lvl 60 monster(different types) and take on other players and stuff in like(for lack of a better word) WoW's Battlegrounds setting.  yep, two sides good guys and bad guys fight all over a battlefield, and like wow it's pretty confusing if you just go in there by yourself, but if you get in a group, you should do ok.  the Second thing is the Crafting.  now i don't have much exp on this because of me only playing while my free trial held out.  but i wasn't impressed or rather liked it.  you have to hunt for the rescources, granted for weaponsmith and others who prospect ore you get a ore radar, but overall your running over hell and highwater to find the ore deposits.  and the weapons you can craft are on par or a lil better(depends on which you make) with the quest rewards.

Overall, if you don't like PvP, and your 50/50 on crafting, LOTRO is the game for you.  there is a 10 day free trial so either way you should try it out for yourself if you got the time.

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

Comments

• cult7cult7 Member Posts: 59

About the gfx,try to download the high textures and set ur gfx to dx10 ultra high settings if ur pc can handle it.

There are only 4 races cause thats the world of Tolkien.I dont know of any other mmo where u can assign stat points to ur character from the start,at least not in the mmos i have played.

The quest tracker was implented not long ago and u can disable it from the options.

What you wrote about the pvp is true but there are nights where u can gather a whole raid or sometimes u can see 2 raids fightingn the creeps.

thx for the review

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Just a warning though - first impressions are deceiving. I really loved the game, really really loved it. So much that after my first month I popped for the lifetime sub.

However, the game really sucks after the starter areas.  Since the free trial stops, there are basically no more people, so no more grouping. And the number of quests nosedives (and the originality of said quests) despite needing more and more xp to level (and thus needing to do more quests).

I'm not saying to quit playing, just don't do anything rash like I did, and spend $200 only to find out you have stopped having fun after a month or two.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Just a warning though - first impressions are deceiving. I really loved the game, really really loved it. So much that after my first month I popped for the lifetime sub.
    However, the game really sucks after the starter areas.  Since the free trial stops, there are basically no more people, so no more grouping. And the number of quests nosedives (and the originality of said quests) despite needing more and more xp to level (and thus needing to do more quests).
    I'm not saying to quit playing, just don't do anything rash like I did, and spend $200 only to find out you have stopped having fun after a month or two.

Yay Trancejeremy the happy hobbit is back! ;)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by joojoo1975

well i been playing LOTRO for the trial and here is my view on it.  hope you like.  if ya disagree please tell me why.

first off, love the way turbine lets you download a lil bit of the content and begin to play while the rest downloads.  The graphics and look of the game is nice.  would i compare it to EQ2 graphics on extreme? no, but the effects and "surrealness" was something i liked. the UI and the controls were also nice, the game could use a macro window like EQ2 but the ui and controls were easy enough to get used to.  The char. creation i wasn't really impressed with.  you have 4 races to choose from(man, hobbit, elve, and dwarves) and you could not assign any stat points.  the Gameplay was nice, liked the quest focus tracker(it had an arrow of showing you where to go to get to the next quest step[IE if you need to kill marsh Flys the tracker would lead you to the area of the flys])
    now the things i didn't like which aren't a lot actually just 2 but these were, to me, major points for mmo's that i will sub to.
    first off there isn't World PvP.  they have a thing called monster play where you can get access when one of your char's is lvl 10.  you can pick a lvl 60 monster(different types) and take on other players and stuff in like(for lack of a better word) WoW's Battlegrounds setting.  yep, two sides good guys and bad guys fight all over a battlefield, and like wow it's pretty confusing if you just go in there by yourself, but if you get in a group, you should do ok.  the Second thing is the Crafting.  now i don't have much exp on this because of me only playing while my free trial held out.  but i wasn't impressed or rather liked it.  you have to hunt for the rescources, granted for weaponsmith and others who prospect ore you get a ore radar, but overall your running over hell and highwater to find the ore deposits.  and the weapons you can craft are on par or a lil better(depends on which you make) with the quest rewards.

Overall, if you don't like PvP, and your 50/50 on crafting, LOTRO is the game for you.  there is a 10 day free trial so either way you should try it out for yourself if you got the time.

PvP granted is not LOTRO's biggest asset and that's not new. The game again is marketed more for its PvE than for its PVP.

For the crafting, I can tell you it's the other way around once you level to journeyman and expert level. Aside from buying from time to time from the Auction Hall, I craft (or ask some generous kinsman to craft for me) and seldom care anymore for quests' rewards.

For ore, if you grew bored after a time, there is the AH where you could buy some. Otherwise, I always farm ore while questing. Plenty of opportunity to find them around.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The turbine games have much more immersion and interesting stries then the average WoW and its clones..

The books (main stire quests) are really awesome.

Currently i play the other Turbine MMO because it has a more high fantast theme with more sorcery among the swords...(Dungeons and dragons online) I really like high magical settings, like DDO. Also it reminds me of my happy times with pen and paper D&D.  Next to that DDO has the most inrigueing character development system of all MMO's, the best combat system so far and a bit of PvP compared to LOTRO.

But Lotro's epic stories are a bit better then DDO's .....

Needless to say, i like both games and if you haven't tried both you should try them both out, wether by free trial, or even free to play (DDO)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

The graphics are second only to AoC, with the high res client and DX10 settings.   I find the crafting to be very enjoyable, until later levels where it becomes a big grind.  Those crafting guilds are insane.  I like the main storyline quests, quite unique and fun. 

Someone also mentioned that there is no one to play with after the beginner area.  I run into people all the time at the questing hubs on Brandywine.  That server is quite populated and fairly easy to find a group.

Fairly good review.  There is a lot of opinion, though. Of course, that's what a review is...lol.  Good luck finding a game you enjoy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

This is complete rubbish. I've soloed a Minstrel to level 56 and still going strong in Moria. There are literally too many quests in LOTRO to be able to do them all and the majority are solo quests. There is still a large and responsive community on Laurelin, especially if you join a Kinship. I played LOTRO since launch, went away for a while when AoC came out but went back to it and it's still brilliant. For immersive PVE it is the best mmorpg out there bar none, and i've played them all (seriously) so i can make that judgement. The number of quests nosedives? It makes me laugh when people who fail to understand how to play an mmo come up with uninformed criticisms.

Go play something else.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

You need to bounce around to the different areas for more quests. After the additions they made over the last year plus, there are way more quests than you could ever complete before out leveling them. You just have to find them by exploring different areas.

The grouping is hit and miss depending on your play times and server. I had a problem with my late night play times. I was in a good kin so I could find players if I needed them most of the time. But I had to get them early or I was out of luck. The later I played, it was just a SPG for the most part. I still have never finished the epic book quests. It sucks because those are the best storylines with cut senes and good rewards.

What killed the game for me was Moria. I loved the outdoors and large explorable areas to quest in. Moria is just one large dungeon with the same stone structures and mobs. I would play less and less til I just don't play anymore. I will probably go back for the expansion and the outdoors areas of mirkwood.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Wow, I found the exact opposite, the starter areas are ok, but the game can appear shallow and you wont really get the scope of how deep it is until later. The game really comes into it's own around level 30 or so.  When you have a wide array of skills, tons of traits to choose a build from, and some great group dungeons.  I play on Brandywine and it is packed, every level of content there are tons of people LFF.

I don't think it would be wise to get a lifetime account now, 2.5 years into the game, but I did at the game's launch and I am really glad I did.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Add me as one who completely disagrees and wonders what game you were really playing....

I never once ran out of quests. In FACT, I had to abandon some quests when I wanted to move on to other cooler areas around my level. Yes...there was more than one area you could move to depending on your level. And you could do many quests in many different areas per level.

I also would add that besides WoW, in the amount and look/atmosphere of different starting areas, LotRO's starting areas were tops among MMOs.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by ghettobooste

Wow, I found the exact opposite, the starter areas are ok, but the game can appear shallow and you wont really get the scope of how deep it is until later. The game really comes into it's own around level 30 or so.  When you have a wide array of skills, tons of traits to choose a build from, and some great group dungeons.  I play on Brandywine and it is packed, every level of content there are tons of people LFF.

I don't think it would be wise to get a lifetime account now, 2.5 years into the game, but I did at the game's launch and I am really glad I did.

This is my experience on Elemindir too, no trouble at all finding groups at any level of play. After two years of playing, I think I enjoy LOTRO more than I ever have, and I can't wait for December 1!

• sunlirsunlir Member Posts: 3

Been playing this since closed beta and have never had a problem with finding a group. I moved from Brandywine to Nimrodel  early on because of the crowds. Still have toons on that server but like playing on Nimrodel better. :)  I am a horrible alt-holic and am running 14 active characters on two lifetime accounts. Couldn't be happier with the game, its graphics and players.

John

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Matt_UK

This is complete rubbish. I've soloed a Minstrel to level 56 and still going strong in Moria. There are literally too many quests in LOTRO to be able to do them all and the majority are solo quests. There is still a large and responsive community on Laurelin, especially if you join a Kinship. I played LOTRO since launch, went away for a while when AoC came out but went back to it and it's still brilliant. For immersive PVE it is the best mmorpg out there bar none, and i've played them all (seriously) so i can make that judgement. The number of quests nosedives? It makes me laugh when people who fail to understand how to play an mmo come up with uninformed criticisms.

Go play something else.

Majority are solo quests?  Where? From the time I hit Lone Lands and Trestlebridge, it seems like 50% of the quests are for fellowships.  When I quit 30/35 quests in my log were fellowship (level 37 toon).  I certainly didn't find any shortage of quests, though, especially hopping between areas.

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

What killed the game for me was Moria. I loved the outdoors and large explorable areas to quest in. Moria is just one large dungeon with the same stone structures and mobs. I would play less and less til I just don't play anymore. I will probably go back for the expansion and the outdoors areas of mirkwood.

While Moria is a combinations of many dungeon areas you clearly had not played it long... they have some very different areas and I still find myself stopping to admire some of the in game art work.  I actually find myself enjoying the game more recently.. it could be that I don't live on it like some.