Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your 3 best tips for a new player?

maakaatuumaakaatuu Member Posts: 34

I'm downloading the game as we speak.

What are your 3 best tips for a new player? What are the things you would have liked to know when you started?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

1) Unsub  

2) Unsub

3)unsub..

You'll realise what crap it is given time.. trivial pve content through the whole game...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by maakaatuu

I'm downloading the game as we speak.
    What are your 3 best tips for a new player? What are the things you would have liked to know when you started?
    Thanks in advance.

I would've liked to know about globaltechatlas.com first, and their handy guides on character creation.

I would've like to know that when you first start leveling they have a nifty little class guide system under your skills and stats that you can change based upon what you want to be.

I would've liked to know that crafting recipes and books of all kinds could be gotten through missions so that I didn't spend so much money at the merchants buying books early on.

I would've liked to know that a horse, all in all, only costs 7 blue chips, and you can get one as soon as you have the chips. (I know its more then 3 tips, but good to know anyways)

Also, for the unsub guy above me, so glad you are no longer playing. thanks :)

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

1) Start in a crafting town. Nothing will prevent you from checking the content in the combat focused towns later. If you don't plan to craft at all, then don't worry about this.

2) Go to Globaltech Atlas site and use the character planner.

3) Go to the Globaltech Atlas website and look at the guides. Educate yourself.

Globaltech Atlas

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

1- do the tutorial. the combat controls are very different(no lock targeting) from most mmos out there.

i did the tutorial and still didnt totally have the hang of it for the first few levels. it gets very esy once you do figure it out but it does take a bit of practice.

2- try to figure things out on your own but use the help channel when stuck.

they recently auto disabled the help channel so you'll have to join it once you enter the game. the people AND GMs in the channel are very helpful. but you dont want to be asking questions about every little thing. i know myself personally wont answer questions such as "how do i harvest a node" and how do i attack?"

after a few minutes ingame 99% of players should be able to answer those questions for themselves

3- dont spend your AP right away. AP are points you gain from leveling and questing that you can spend in different ways to better your character. in the very beginning adding a few points into melee or rifles really wont make much of a difference. so hold off on using them until you figure out what you want to do. try the different combat weapons(melee, rifles or postol) see what you like best before spending points in that discipline.

or you may want to go the crafter route so you'd rather dump your points into crafting related things.

dont worry. i'm a level 19 crafter and i can hold my own even against some boss mobs when in combat.

the PvE is fairy easy with the exception of some chain mobs(pull one 5 aggro) so even if you go full crafting, like i am, you're still viable in combat

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

1. read the game material on their homepage about how the game system works. Since you design your own character from scratch, understanding what each skill does and how you get it to do it is a good idea.

2. use the N key . . . 

3. Go to http://www.globaltechatlas.info/

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

This ain't gonna end well :/

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

bst tip;

1 dont use the help channel. close it

2. interact with the other players in-game to get help and learn to know the commuity.

3. see 2.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

edit: this one turned out to be false after testing, sadly. 1. Adjust your bag settings (little icon top right of inventory) to show all available tabs; this way you will end up with more bag slots! (only heard about this this morning). (Also make different tabs for chat channels and don't forget to alter the channel you speak in next to the text field).

2. Alt + p and click 'create' to bookmark your current location. (all nodes respawn and stay the same type so bookmarking certain resources can be useful)

3. Don't bother about using guns for anything else than fun and part time dps increase on bosses in sector 1 if you want to go rifle. Mainly use crossbows instead.

4. Go for a horse as soon as possible, ATV's (if you still get one with a purchase of the game) are gass guzlers. You can use the ATV key later in researching advanced vehicles if you don't consume it to spawn your ATV.

5. Do the AP missions and the free tradeskill books missions in all the starter towns before you move on to Embry and upwards. Find the questgivers here: www.globaltechatlas.info/2009/09/sector-1-ap-missions.html

6. Be careful with allocating your AP! First decide on your build before you make mistakes. There are some typical builds listed at the character planner. Playing around with this learns you a lot (like raising a stat one point costing 5 AP rather than 1 AP for skills and mutations).

www.sleeping-dragons.co.uk/FallenEarth/

(click 'predefined builds' on top)

edit: most of all; don't rush it and have fun! (Also: don't mind the trolls).

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

step 1: Go to the fallen earth website and Unsubscribe

step 2: Uninstall Fallen Earth

step 3: Wait like the rest of us for a new MMORPG...

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Simple..

1. Due the tutorial

2. Figure out how to get a mount ASAP (buying or crafting) so missions are easier to complete.

3. Dissect the Help Channel (By using /ignore command on players that troll). Remember there will be 2k+ newbies in the next 15 to 30 days that got on free, so you can bet most of them your going to want to ignore).

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Look me up in game name's Killborn! Welcome to the Apocolypse!

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956
    Originally posted by vladakov

translation "come be miserable with the rest of us haters"

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• maakaatuumaakaatuu Member Posts: 34

Thanks for all the replies! See you guys online later tonight ;)

• renaldarerenaldare Member Posts: 20

1. new skills/abilities dont go to hot bar automaticly so hit N and put new ones on bar.

2. when in a town its easy to lose site of which horse is yours as there tends to be alot parked infront of stores/bank. you can tell  which is yours by walking thru the horses, yours will be the only one you cant pass through.

3. once summoned a mount(horse or vehicle) can not be put back into pack but you can store them in the garages(theres one around every town). and if you die the mount will stay where you left it but shows on the minimap as a green circle. you can have it towed to a garage instead of running all the way back to where it is. also mobs will attack your mount (the ones saround starter towns generaly wont but farther out they will) so watch where you dismount.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

1.Dont waste your chips.

2.Have your build and faction you want before you create your char, there are no RESPEC'S.

3. If you have a mount, try to always stable it when you log out.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

.. And I dont mean to derail this post...

I like your 3rd step and then your Signature as Global Agenda..

Though I am a fan of FPS games, I believe GA will be nothing but a Tribes Online.

And thats a good thing, I loved Tribes back in the days, but as it being a real MMORPG as well, I guess we will see

and I will make sure I come back and haunt ya on this one if it ends up sucking.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

#1 Free Trial

#2 Add/Remove Programs -> Fallen Earth

#3 Paint a wall and watch it dry - this will suddenly seem like skydiving to you.

I'm really trying to like this game but everything about it irritates me.

• Ridiculous camera angle
    • Clunky, il-thought controls
    • Bland graphics
    • Dim lighting
    • Short draw distance
    • Constant server lag
    • Stupid mount system
    • Ridiculous npc/mob title fonts
    • Bland quests
    • Help channel fanboys
    • Single inventory panel (filtering != segementation)
    • Lack of special effects - did the mob just hit me or sneeze?

The rest of the game is probably ok but you'd have to be a monk to persist through all that.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• xxlilDevilxxxxlilDevilxx Member UncommonPosts: 245

Is funny how these carebear trolls posts about this game, this game isnt wow and dont play like wow.

This is a game that will really pick up once you leave Sector 1, the functions are where this game focus (other then craftings).

This game is more like

- Do whatever you want, whenever you want. Not totally sandbox but is closer then any other mmos out there.

- Craft requires massive amount of time @ higher levels.

- Requires thinking, something like where to put AP into the skills, when is a good time to get a new mount, or how to undercut someone and make money in AH.

- Explorations! This isnt those liniar mmo where u grind quests again and again.

My advice is, take the trial and test things out. Join a clan, some clan really help other people out (avoid massive invite clans like SoF, FoE..etc)

Find a location with tons of nodes? Waypoint it and farm it or come back later for it.

This game has one of the better community out there. Alot of people will help new comers out, check out their offical forum for any new stuff also.

However, the pvp in this game do sucks.

I really like when posters state:

I am really trying to like it..

If you don't like it, don't force yourself to like it..

Games were made to be fun, not make you feel like your going to a dentist.

If it doesn't grab you, don't punish yourself and stick around. There is so many other mmo's out there now,

there has got to be one that grabs you.

• rafaelrehnrafaelrehn Member Posts: 235

Yeah that

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Well the tip's given are very useful so wont post them again(trolls aside),1 tip I will give is..

Open up your map and when out of town and maybe feeling a bit lost uncheck the "overhead" option,you will now see a more detailed map and can find your way back home,once in a town click back on "overhead" to mouse over and see each vendor/trainer.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by grunt187

translation "come be miserable with the rest of us haters"

Indeed.  Hi Ho.  Hi Ho.  Its back to WOW they go..

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

First of all this game is my new addiction. It is the MMO I have been waiting for and welcome on board.

Lots of good tips already but I would say dont spend your AP too fast.  You don't need to spend that many in the start, best to just level up for the weapons and armour you want to use. Then decide what you want to do.  Use the little icon top right on the skill page to see the various suggested classes.

Dont try and level up all combat skills.  You can but I would stay with one and try and concentrate on it.  Maybe have melee as a backup but only to a moderate level.

The game is not linear so thre is no 'start here then go to this town then go to this town'  I have been in Sector 1 for a whole month now and still no where near finished.  The game is set up for roaming and you can pretty much go anywhere and do what ever you want.  Best to clean out the town you start in and save on petrol. 

Game really grows on you and right now its a good addiction

• DubelDubel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Vaedur

1) Unsub  
    2) Unsub

3)unsub..

You'll realise what crap it is given time.. trivial pve content through the whole game...

I couldnt agree more. I tried it again because of all the people talking it up.  Its feels like its in the alpha stage, not even ready for beta yet.  I love the rubberbanding too.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Dubel

Originally posted by Vaedur

1) Unsub  
    2) Unsub

3)unsub..

I couldnt agree more. I tried it again because of all the people talking it up.  Its feels like its in the alpha stage, not even ready for beta yet.  I love the rubberbanding too.

How can you say the game isn't ready for beta yet?  Rubberbanding was around for one night and it was fixed, and I have not come across it again.  I have played more than 12 MMO's at launch and this game is more polished than the lot of them.  Not enough pretty trees for you?