Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This compared to CO

Do you guys expect this game to be better that CO on the pve front?  I don't know much about this game, but I like superhero themed mmos.  Currently CO is one of the games I play and I enjoy it, so I was wondering how you guys feel about the development of this game and how it might comparedto CO (how it is going to be better and/or worse than CO).

Comments

• TatsuOyamaTatsuOyama Member UncommonPosts: 33

I will be super honest. I have so little faith in Sony Online Entertainment that until this comes out and I have at least 5 friends, close ones, playing and loving it that I would rather just steer clear of it all together. That is how burned I am on SOE. Besides that it looks interesting, but I want to hear more about their F2P+Cash shop architecture before I even hazard a guess. They could offer scads and scads of pay content that forces you to have to pay for simple things. Also the rumor that you will only get 2 character slots, generic costume options (unless you pay) and limited powers sets (again...unless you sell out the cash) has me worried. All this is speculation.

With Champions, you have it sitting there. You know what it is about. There isn't a lot to worry about coming down the pipe or mysterious features/costs that still loom. It is all laid out for you. CO has serious content issues, that is for sure. The PvE aspect of the game is limited. Scary limited. You play the missions though a linear progression and God forbid you do anything else. All the missions are practically essential to power/level up. Essential. There is a good chance you will have to grind in the higher levels since the content (XP and mob difficulties) have been adjusted and you will have missions handed to you that you will be too weak to take on for a little while.

I love CO even with all the faults in PvE.

I WANT to love DCUO, but HATE SOE.

At the end of the day we will all be sitting around with bated breath waiting to see what DCUO becomes. Right now there is too little concrete to say anything intelligent other than what we can glean from our past experiences...

-Tatsu Oyama

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

If they want to succeed they will have to stand out. Some features are nice, but not ready to give the super hero MMO title to them - not by a long shot.

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

we're all waiting for blizzards next mmo

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• TinkerGnomeTinkerGnome Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Sabradin

we're all waiting for blizzards next mmo

No we're not..

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Jigsawz

Do you guys expect this game to be better that CO on the pve front?  I don't know much about this game, but I like superhero themed mmos.  Currently CO is one of the games I play and I enjoy it, so I was wondering how you guys feel about the development of this game and how it might comparedto CO (how it is going to be better and/or worse than CO).

For the love of God, I hope so as I hated CO! I really enjoyed CoH/CoV and was very disappointed with CO as I didn't feel that it was enough of an improvement over CoX. Some would argue that it actually was a step back in some areas.

I myself was never a part of the SOE catastrophe, so I personally don't have any dislike for the company (although some will say,
    "give it time").

I'm putting a lot of hope in DCUO as it is MHO that Cryptic failed on CO, because they were too distracted/sidetracked with Star Trek, but I could be wrong.

I like the DC Universe and it's characters (if you couldn't tell), so that obviously is in the game's favor. Finally, I have faith in Jim Lee and the pride he takes in his work.

Your fail comment, failed.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I hate to say I'm in the same boat as the poster to first reply in that SOE has so damaged their reputation with me my expectations with them are very low and I simply refuse to get into an SOE product without it having been released first and being able to gain a decent amount of knowledge up front about what is going on with the game.  I do look forward to hearing about this game when it does release as obviously DC is a very rich IP with a good deal of potential but then again so was Star Wars....

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163

I would love to play DCuo but...SoE ??? Hahaha, I dread to see what their 'magic' touch will do to this game. They have a tradition for (1) Ignore all objective criticism/suggestions from subscribers, (2) Ignore customer service, and (3) Milk the subscribers for their blood if you can.

Bah ! EQ was such a great game until they got their hands on it. I'm gonna wait a few months after DCuO comes out before I even take a look at the reviews.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

F2P with Cash Shops can not be bashed when you state you are playing an MMO that is P2P with a cash shop.

In any case, Cryptics actions have put them in a position where they are frequently compaired to SOE due to making the same mistakes that SOE has made and then some.

While SOE seems to be learning from there mistakes (Hence cash shop games being F2P instead of the P2P + cash shops they started doing) Cryptic has not and seem to be on the road to making SOE look a bit better by comparison.

In any case, I personally expect DCUO to be better. For one it seems to be recieving more development time. Secondly SOE is a much larger and more experienced developer than Cryptic and have launched successful products before.

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163

Something happened today that helped to convince me that Cryptic wasn't following in the footsteps on soe. For awhile there they were really making it up the charts in my book, towards where soe stands as king of uhmm, well, crap.

The devs there listened, interacted and generally discussed with the players on fixes to the Archery powerset. And then...they made, what i believe to be the properly balanced, changes based on the feedback and they're going to implement it. From the posts I read, everyone who tested the changes seem to be of the opinion that the changes works. Can't wait to test it fully during the weekend. I don't know about anyone else but I have never come across this sort of interaction with soe before.

Brings a tear to my eye :P

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

DC is the far better IP, it's got far better super heroes to make the stories with, the DC IP just dwarfs the CO IP!  Most had never even heard of the CO IP until Cryptic made a MMO based on it, CO feels very lacklustre as a IP and a MMO,  it was never a popular IP even as a card game, why they thought  it would make a appealing super hero MMO is beyond me, SOE won this race for sure.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Champions is a PnP RPG IP, not a card game.   I've not played PnP RPGs for years, but it was well known and popular with gamers and CO got a lot of buzz because of it.  The main problem with CO is they  used the backstory, but not the mechanics of the PnP.  So while enjoyable, technically other than the skin its not Champions.

Definatly though, DC is a strong IP.    Although personally I'm not conviced SoE will do it justice.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    Originally posted by grapevine

Champions is a PnP RPG IP, not a card game.   I've not played PnP RPGs for years, but it was well known and popular with gamers and CO got a lot of buzz because of it.  The main problem with CO is they  used the backstory, but not the mechanics of the PnP.  So while enjoyable, technically other than the skin its not Champions.

Actually the CO doesn't even use the existing backstory. Steve Long gave rights to Cryptic to create their own backstory and characters. The PnP game changed the backstory with every edition, but you did see something like character development between editions.* The new edition of the PnP game was released about the same time as the online game with a "fresh" backstory designed by Cryptic and using the remants of Marvel Universe Online.

*Several villain characters like Dr.Destroyer and groups like Viper and Deathstroke, which extend over multiple editions of the PnP game, had those earlier versions integrated into their histories in 5th edition.

• MalikyeMoonMalikyeMoon Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Azareal

I would love to play DCuo but...SoE ??? Hahaha, I dread to see what their 'magic' touch will do to this game. They have a tradition for (1) Ignore all objective criticism/suggestions from subscribers, (2) Ignore customer service, and (3) Milk the subscribers for their blood if you can.
    Bah ! EQ was such a great game until they got their hands on it. I'm gonna wait a few months after DCuO comes out before I even take a look at the reviews.

/still mourns the death of Verant

Good hunting,

Malikye
    Now Playing: WaW2
    Played: EQ - 5.5 yrs, WoW - 4.5 yrs, Diablo, Myth2,
    Tried: AoC (played it about 3 times that month), WAR (fun for a month), RoM (sorta, Aion (for 2 months), Allods (bored at lvl 13).
    Waiting for: DC Universe, Diablo 3
    Own: Atari 2600, NES, Game Boy, GBA SP, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Modded Xbox, Wii, PS3, PSP, gaming PCs
    Sold like a dumb@$$: SNES
    Broke: PS1
    Melted in a fire: Turbograhpx 16 w/ a ton of games
    Gave Away to a child: Nintendo 64