Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons for not buying this game (Big Ifs and stuff)

HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Im prolly gonna buy/try this game when it comes out, but there are some reasons that might change my mind...

1. Heavy instancing
  2. Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)
  3. RMT. I rufuse to pay extra money to be able to compete in a game.
  4. Poor crafting system.
  5. Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

Not much i guess, but that can be enough for me to stay away.

Hauken Stormchaser
I want pre-CU back
Station.com : We got your game
Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Not again. Look, if you don't want to buy it then don't, but only idiots go by unsubstantiated rumor like you are. We know very little about the game, so you really need to get over the "jumping the gun" mentality and BLOODY WAIT.

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150
    Originally posted by Moirae

Not again. Look, if you don't want to buy it then don't, but only idiots go by unsubstantiated rumor like you are. We know very little about the game, so you really need to get over the "jumping the gun" mentality and BLOODY WAIT.

I see other idiots claiming it to be the second coming and will be the greatest mmo ever made.  Because they have their Bioware fanboi hats on.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Sabiancym

I see other idiots claiming it to be the second coming and will be the greatest mmo ever made.  Because they have their Bioware fanboi hats on.

And Moirae's statement can just as easily apply to that other extreme as well.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Hauken

Im prolly gonna buy/try this game when it comes out, but there are some reasons that might change my mind...

Heavy instancing
    Lack of open world (SWG Rage of the Wookies kind of worlds)
    RMT. I rufuse to pay extra money to be able to compete in a game.
    Poor crafting system.
    Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

We won't know any of these things till the NDA is lifted and beta is over so for now don't get too stressed about those things.  I think what you listed here would be a bummer for everyone but we just don't know yet.  For some odd reason I'm still coming at this game like it's a single player RPG.  I know it's not, but my main goal is to see how the story plays out.  As long as the story is good, I'm still going to play.  :P

• VaniveVanive Member Posts: 49

Just because other people have different standards in regards to what makes a good MMO, or what they enjoy, or the company they support, doesn't make them idiots. Keep in mind there are fans of BioWare games, just as there were hardcore fans of Blizzard games before WoW launched and they are just as vocal.

It just so happens that anticipation of World of Warcraft was well before the days when it was “cool” or “hip” to call people fanbois for being overly excited about a game. Back then people just kept their opinions to themselves about what they hated, or said their peace and moved on to other games instead of spending months beating their “I hate this game because I think it’s like this, but should be like this” drum.

I don’t think I ever remember people saying “WoW should be like SWG” back in the day, or “this game should be like SWG but it’s not”. Not until the NGE came along and the vets learned the only game like SWG, was SWG. Reality bites ehh?

I gotz a 300,000 BTU WTFBBQ!

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think two important things to bear in mind: we aren't anywhere near retail release yet so to slam the game seems unfair, and given the prestige of the game developer this could be a treat if you approach it with an open mind.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.
    Lack of diversity within classes. No fun beeing exactly like the other smuggler or bounty hunter.

1) Define Heavy.

2) There are open worlds.  For fucks sake, Coruscant is the biggest open world EVER! :)

3) What RMT?  And what makes you think you wouldn't be able to compete without it?

4) What crafting system?  What magical details do you have about it that the rest of us do not?

5) Play your class however you wish.  It's not original, but it's pretty standard in MMO's.

In summary:  I'm glad you won't be playing, because your whiny pessimism will not be missed.

• shayneforushayneforu Member UncommonPosts: 69

after trolling the forums for a few weeks or so I think I have it figured out. There is no game out now that is amazing and take your breath away good so gamers are bored and tired of the same old thing and have nothing better to do but sit here and hate on upcoming games or released games. Games they once played and grew away from or ones that just sucked. Now we are all gathered here waiting for something to blow us away and until it comes out everyone is bored and complaining takes some anger away and helps waste time lol

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

1. They said instancing will be used, but not to the extreme. They haven't really clarified.
    2. Eh, they have said plenty times SWTOR will be open world.
    3. RMT is still being a considered, I'm with you though, I can't stand RMTs
    4. Maybe, maybe not. Article recently hinted at something new for crafting in the genre. New doesn't always mean good, have to wait and see.
    5. I never had a problem with this, if you're talking about skills, I expect them to be the same besides your build in morality points, but they might have other features to build a more unique character.

Only things that bother me are 1 and 2. 3 will be a game breaker if it offered gear.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

I see little to nobody claiming ToR to be the second coming. If anybody is hyping the game it's people like yourself. Btw, welcome to the SWTOR forums, a game you have not interest in, loser.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

Please, build a post with 4 points of speculation (which 2 and 4 have already been confirmed as not as you described them), and 1 point of opinion.

Oh shit, you already did.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Thats all in your head and it doesn't exist. If you hang out here at all, you will see that pretty much all anybody is doing is bashing the game and freaking out over unsubstantiated rumor about things that they don't like. Seriously, all they are doing on this forum is complaining. And the little things that SOME people say that they LIKE about the game is getting shot down by the doomsayers.

Its extremely aggravating and has honestly been making me think about not coming here anymore because they won't knock it off.

Not a single person has been talking about this game being the second coming and claiming otherwise just shows that you aren't paying attention.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

We really know too litle of the game yet for your reqsons to be valid.

If you count zooning when travel from one planet to another it will most likely have that, but there is some logic to that at least unless the game actually adds space travel. But I heard that the planets in themselves shouldn't be instanced.

The RMT seems to be a rumour, true or not. Unti we actually got some facts about it we cant say much. Maybe the game wont have a monthly fee or the RMT wont be in the game, we have to wait on this.

Do you actually know how the crafting system work? Same thing with class diversity.

This thread is way too early, Bioware havnt given us enough information on how the game will work for us to be sure.

I don't think TOR will be the saviour of MMOs (that will be Guildwars 2) but it will be something fresh that most likely will affect the other games too. It is nice that someone does something different.

• benmou13benmou13 Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by Loke666

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

We really know too litle of the game yet for your reqsons to be valid.

If you count zooning when travel from one planet to another it will most likely have that, but there is some logic to that at least unless the game actually adds space travel. But I heard that the planets in themselves shouldn't be instanced.

The RMT seems to be a rumour, true or not. Unti we actually got some facts about it we cant say much. Maybe the game wont have a monthly fee or the RMT wont be in the game, we have to wait on this.

Do you actually know how the crafting system work? Same thing with class diversity.

This thread is way too early, Bioware havnt given us enough information on how the game will work for us to be sure.

I don't think TOR will be the saviour of MMOs (that will be Guildwars 2) but it will be something fresh that most likely will affect the other games too. It is nice that someone does something different.

RMT is not rumoured if you read the terms and conditions to beta testing it clearly states cash shop and what has put me off this game is its targetting the wow crowd its aimed at casual gamers not the hardcore which is frustrating cause then theres no real challenge but i will still play this game cause its bioware and i love starwars

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Look this is just a few points that I feel will maybe keep me away from the game ok? Its just how it is. If you are gonna buy/play it no matter what, its fine by me. Im just not gonna waste my time and money on something that MAYBE will not be my cup of tea.

I see nothing wrong with me having opinions on this matter. Heck if I and all you others cant have opinions on this matter then this forum has no purpose.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back

• HovdeHovde Member UncommonPosts: 11

Hard to form a good opinion when you don't have all the facts...

The journey is more important then the outcome

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

I strongly agree with 2, 3, 4, and 5.  There are some other issues that could happen that would make me think twice such as anything that is nothing but the same old same old crap that we've been seeing lately lol.  I am ready for something new.  I think you hit my big ones in your list actually.  I don't like the fact that they choose to go with a level system or a class system, but since they are I suppose that I'll just have to hope that they don't allow anything of the things you mentioned in this game.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think since many of Bioware's rpgs use levels, classes and skills for character progression this isn't unexpected. I would suggest that if players don't like immersive story driven gaming then this is unlikely to be your game.

• RansomDentonRansomDenton Member Posts: 111

Points 4 and 5 are big ones for me but the biggest reason I will be skeptical and may not buy it is the SWG horror.

Lucasarts proved themselves to be on a level of irrational behavior and business sense that anything they touch is HIGHLY suspect to me. I have loved Bioware for years now and purchased games in the past due to their name and rep alone. It all came out that Lucasarts, not SOE, forced a dumb-ing down of SWG and when faced with a massive exodus of players stood firm to their thin, vapid and sub par gameplay and ideas. It is a shame that someone cannot purchase their death grip on this IP.

I am not bashing nor saying I will not try the game but I will not only have to try it out but I have no plans to save up money for this title. As per the released footage...wow the smug GIANT blue "hey hide here, here or here or maybe here" transparent stand-ins make me not confident that things have changed.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    RMT is not rumoured if you read the terms and conditions to beta testing it clearly states cash shop and what has put me off this game is its targetting the wow crowd its aimed at casual gamers not the hardcore which is frustrating cause then theres no real challenge but i will still play this game cause its bioware and i love starwars

Not like that. It was rumored to have an alternative to subscription model where you would pay for extra content - presumable you would pay for content like new dungeons, new epic mission arcs etc. So instead of getting big patches every 3-6 months, you would get new content implemented in shorter intervals, but you would have to pay for it. It was not a cash shop as you perceive it at all.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• benmou13benmou13 Member Posts: 89

It clearly states "Game store" in the terms and conditions anything else is assumption because nothing has been stated your not saying fact your saying what everyone believes to be, and people think of some pretty radical things. Game store says to me cash shop for p2p games call it whatever they like its still a cash shop for a p2p game.

Sheep in wolves clothing ;)

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Moirae Not again. Look, if you don't want to buy it then don't, but only idiots go by unsubstantiated rumor like you are. We know very little about the game, so you really need to get over the "jumping the gun" mentality and BLOODY WAIT.

Because they have their Bioware fanboi hats on.

Honestly...you kinda have to be an idiot NOT to have a Bioware fanboi hat on.

They've earned it. Besides it's chic and stylish and keeps your head warm during these cold winter days.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649
    Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Because they have their Bioware fanboi hats on.

Honestly...you kinda have to be an idiot NOT to have a Bioware fanboi hat on.

They've earned it. Besides it's chic and stylish and keeps your head warm during these cold winter days.

Personally im a huge fan of Bioware. KOTOR is one of the best games ive ever played. They have a good reputation for making polished games. But this is their first MMO and thats a whole new ballgame...

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Heavy instancing
    Poor crafting system.

1. You don't know, in fact, in the gameplay demo we saw (seamless) instance triggers near storyline npc's. Which points towards the rest of the planets being relatively open.

2. You don't know, see previous.

3. Huh? Payment model hasn't been announced. (No idiotic speeches by some bigshot don't count).

4. Again, playing mr. Prophet are we?

5. Look, every mmo, even sandbox ones have certain routes for your character to take.

Most mmo's have: a DPS caster / a healer / a tank / a high damage melee / a ranged physical damage dealer

So I think TOR's choice of classes is actually pretty damn original.

We've been told there's a good deal of customization to be had.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by benmou13

It clearly states "Game store" in the terms and conditions anything else is assumption because nothing has been stated your not saying fact your saying what everyone believes to be, and people think of some pretty radical things. Game store says to me cash shop for p2p games call it whatever they like its still a cash shop for a p2p game.
    Sheep in wolves clothing ;)

Where does it "clearly" state that there will be a game store? I would very much like to see it. You just making it up, right?

Here is a link for the main article that started the rumors: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56292

In the article, he talks about mid-session microtransactions and elaborates them as "Other "mid-session" EA titles include FIFA Online and NBA Street. These games are either provided for free, or for a nominal charge, and are then supported by further microtransactions--small payments in exchange for services or content. "

Regardless of that article. They have since retracted those comments, but the misinformation persists:

http://darthhater.com/2009/09/14/misinformation-on-microtransactions/

Blaine Christine: "The bottom line with that is that it’s a total rumor since we haven’t talked about pricing structure or subscription plans at all. So people don’t need to worry about anything if that is a worry – we will do whatever makes sense for the game."

Link to the original TentonHammer interview: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/74219

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."