Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returned after nearly three years.

kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Well with trying out a few of the newer MMO's and getting burnt out, I decided to give EQ2 a shot.  Now unlike most people, I purposely keep in touch with a few of the guildmates that have played with just incase I decided I wanted to ever go back.  Lucky me, instant guild invite and got to raid even being 100% ineffective so I could lie face flat on ground for half the 2hrs roughly raid.

So why did I go back?  Simple, I knew people.  If I did not know anyone, I would not have came back.  I'm one of those guys that is super picky about who I play with and have to gel really well in order to enjoy myself, otherwise I'll stick to Single player RPGs.  So what changed?

• Level cap to 80 and shortly after next expansion in Feb or so 85 or 90
  • More AA points..a lot more..
  • Easier access to a lot of areas via Guild Halls(this is amazing)
  • New starting areas for Freeport make playing a new toon interesting
  • A smarter loot system, one of the reasons I quit was because I'd go in an instance and try to get the same thing for weeks at a time only to have a no-trade drop for a class that was not even present.
  • Simplified ability level system, Apprentice, Journeyman, Adept, Master, Grandmaster(might have missed one) instead of App I, AppII, AppIV, Adept I, Adept III, Master I

Now what is not great from my perspective:

• Graphics.  Man they are decent, but nothing compared to AoC, FE, or Aion I can tell you that.
  • Crafting changes, looks like you have to press it to all four bars now-could be a plus though

Is it worth going back to?  I think it is if you want to have many things to do like collections, questing for ever in a million years, getting an apartment and decoratiing it, and playing with a good core group of friends.  Like I said, if you have a group you'll have fun faster and it maybe easier for you to level a new toon.

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by kilun

Crafting changes, looks like you have to press it to all four bars now-could be a plus though

The only thing I know of where you get results on only three bars is food/drink: you get half the normal quantity and it doesn't count for the "first craft of this recipe" bonus. All of the other 3-bar fails just give back some materials or fuel.

• nathanvandynnathanvandyn Member Posts: 98

Definately a great game , even if u are completely new. there is never a lack of content, or old zones that are not re visited. I've played every mmo out there and they just all fal short of what eq2 can do(and does very well).

What new mmos do succeed in, in my opinion, is making their games smaller when expansions come out. In other words making old content worthless. In this aspect, eq2 has the best system to gain "talent points" because you get xp for going back and doing all the old quests and killing the low bosses, so ppl arent just rushing through to end game as much as in say WoW, or any other mmo out there for that matter.

EQ isnt for everyone, its for goal oriented gamers, or at least that is how i play it. any other mmo is instant gratification ( and not in a good way) Dont get me wrong i have like other aspects about certain mmos, but eq2 offers the most of the things i like doing and some of the most fun pvp out there on top of that.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

well, welcome back to the game. im a noob on it myself, just started playing less than 2 weeks ago... and im amazed i didnt start sooner. i absolutely love it. i was hopping around so many other games and stuff and never even gave this one a shot until now, and im having so much fun already just running around soloing doing quests, crafting, collecting, etc. cant wait to see some of the later content and get myself in a guild and all that good stuff. looking forward to the pvp as well, its about my biggest reason for playing MMOS.

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

truly one of the better MMOS out there.  

• IRNUBIRNUB Member Posts: 22

* Graphics. Man they are decent, but nothing compared to AoC, FE, or Aion I can tell you that.

* Crafting changes, looks like you have to press it to all four bars now-could be a plus though

Not many cons there tbh. I mean, i played AoC too. It had great visuals but did it have anything else?

Crafting? Tons and tons of recipes and all that. Not the same as back in 2004 but easily still better than most other games with the "craft all" -button