Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

servers?

vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

I just read a post about STO servers, made me curious about servers at global agenda :)

so just asking; anyone knows if global agenda has 1 big server like  eve/fallen earth?  or are there different servers or instanced things...

regards, 

vlad

Comments

• RazzielAEtilRazzielAEtil Member Posts: 4

Currently, the plan, from what I've read, is to have one large server per region. So, for example, there might be one for all of North America and one for all of Europe.  I'm pretty certain they won't do one global server since the game has twitch elements that would put Europeans or Asians at a SEVERE disadvantage against players who live by the single server in North America.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

twitch elementals that cause disavantage? explain please :P

but, i have a good point here, the game is called  GLOBAL Agenda :P

• RazzielAEtilRazzielAEtil Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by vladakov

twitch elementals that cause disavantage? explain please :P

but, i have a good point here, the game is called  GLOBAL Agenda :P

In any game that is heavily twitch based, such as a shooter or a fighting game, having slightly less latency is a huge advantage since each millisecond of lag is 2 milliseconds on your response time. (1 ms before you see it and 1 ms before the action processes)  As such, if I'm playing with 50 ms lag against a player in Europe with 200 ms lag, he will artificially have .3 seconds added onto his response time when compared to me.

To give you an idea, lets say a rocket launcher round to the chest kills in 2 shots.  This is just an example and not based on actual game play at all.  The rocket launcher has a refire time of 0.5 seconds.  If I have 50ms lag and get hit by a rocket, I will have 0.4 seconds to respond and move to avoid having the second one kill me.  On the other hand,  if I had 200ms lag and got hit by that same rocket, I wouldn't notice it until .2 seconds after it actually hit because of the lag.  Then when I tell the server what to do it will respond .2 seconds later leaving me with only 0.1 second to react if I want to move at all before the next rocket comes.  If I had 250ms lag, I couldn't move at all.  The first rocket would hit me and deal damage, .25 seconds later I'd notice it, then I'd hit a key, and the game would go to move as soon as the next rocket hit me, and I'd die every time.

That's why having a single world server really wouldn't work out that well.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

i know exactly what you mean,  i took fallen earth as an example, but global agenda will be about 1000 times more fast paced.

im curious what itll be :o

• epicorepicor Member Posts: 60

curious what it'll be?  it'll be fun thats for sure haha.

• OnumaOnuma Member Posts: 6

Razziel:

Are you sure that this latency time is one-way?  I always thought of a ping as being like a RADAR or SONAR ping -- send something out and see how long it takes to return to you (ping/pong).  IIRC a 50ms ping would equate to 25ms outbound and 25ms inbound.

It is agreed, however that latency can indeed make a difference in gameplay of Global Agenda's nature.  I definitely would not want to have 200ms pings when my adversaries are sub-100 or better!

All other things being equal, latency will make or break your ability to win/lose.

• KreepedKreeped Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by vladakov

i know exactly what you mean,  i took fallen earth as an example, but global agenda will be about 1000 times more fast paced.
    im curious what itll be :o

Definately will be a hell of a lost more fast paced.

www.CyberneticPunks.com
    Hardcore Gaming Community