Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some suggestions please.

GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Ok so its been two weeks i have been trying to get my hands on ATI 5870 video card and i can't wait anymore. This sexy little thing sells like hot cakes in Paris. Every store i have been to is out of stock due to high demand. There are some less known companies like Connect 3D which are selling these cards too but i want to get either MSI or Powercolor brand.

So my question is how much performance drop i will get if i go for 5850 instead? i really don't want to wait for another 12 days.

My PC specs are

Core Duo E8400 @ 3.0ghz

4gb ram

Gigabyte G33DS3R motherboard

500 gb hard disk.

How much my system will be bottle necked with new ATI card? do i need to upgrade anything else?

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

I'd get a 5850 in your place, your cpu hinders the total performance noticeably already. 

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

If i get Quad core will that help? if yes which one should i get?

thanks for your suggestions ;)

• MonkeykingZXMonkeykingZX Member Posts: 47

oc the e8400 to like 3.6ghz+ and play at a decent res with a healthy amount of AA and there will be little to no bottlenecking, i'd still go for a 5850 though you can oc them up to the performance of the 5870

i7 [email protected]//Titan fenrir//asus p6t se//6gb patriot viper pc3-12800//powercolour hd5970//CM-690// OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w//500gb WD caviar black and 500gb WD caviar blue//3x 24" monitors running in eyefinity

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The HD5850 has about a 15% performance difference then the HD5870.  A dual core can handle the cards.  Its when you are using 3 or 4 cards that a quad core becomes necessary.  Also there are only a few games that utilize quad cores extensively.  The only notable one is Grand Theft Auto IV.

I am not saying a quad core wouldn't hurt considering DX11 will have wider multi-core support.  However, it isn't necessary.

• MonkeykingZXMonkeykingZX Member Posts: 47

although if you did go for a quad core i'd recommend the q9550, oc it a bit and you're good to go

i7 [email protected]//Titan fenrir//asus p6t se//6gb patriot viper pc3-12800//powercolour hd5970//CM-690// OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w//500gb WD caviar black and 500gb WD caviar blue//3x 24" monitors running in eyefinity

Thanks guys, i ordered 5850. However i will hold buying Quad for now. I would like to test the performance of the new card and see how it goes. if i find anything lacking i will get the Quad core like MonkeykingZX suggested

Also i am using Corsair 550 watt power supply. Is it enough? i read that new ATI cards are very power efficient.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Their idle power makes me think they made a contract with the devil.  Its lower then any high end discrete graphics card on the market by a HUGE margin.  However, they also consume the most power at peak.  Considering Corsair is a good brand, and the last generation's recommended PSU was 450 watts, 550 watts should be sufficient.  Its also unlikely you will ever use 100% draw on the HD5800's.  No game on the market right now forces 100% utilization on these cards.

Originally posted by Cleffy

Their idle power makes me think they made a contract with the devil.  Its lower then any high end discrete graphics card on the market by a HUGE margin.  However, they also consume the most power at peak.  Considering Corsair is a good brand, and the last generation's recommended PSU was 450 watts, 550 watts should be sufficient.  Its also unlikely you will ever use 100% draw on the HD5800's.  No game on the market right now forces 100% utilization on these cards.

Cool, thanks. This will save me lot of Euros. I was quit afraid that i would also need to upgrade my processor and power supply. My budget was quit tight so thanks again for your help.