Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about a Hunter, crossbow or regular bow?

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

hey i am brand new to the game and will be making a hunter.  is a crossbow or regular bow better?   thanks for your input.

Comments

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Well unfortunately you'll be stuck with bow until L30.

Hunters are not able use crossbows until at least then even though there are lower level ones in game.

That being said, there is no discernable difference between the two so it's just a matter of preference and bonus stats.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• GreygonGreygon Member Posts: 75

Previous post is correct.  No real difference other than looks and preference.  It's all about the stats...

• warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

As I recall I have had the option to train the passive skill which allows crossbow use since 15 (or there abouts). 

As far as differences, I can't comment yet because I have not used one yet. Every weapon type has an innate bonus of a sort though and I would imagine the cross bow is no different. So, one potential advantage (or disadvantage) to crossbows may be found in that innate feature. I'd have to check the lorebook to see what it's feature is.

EDIT - 

Crossbow's Bonus is "Your ranged attacks are 5% tougher to block".

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

crossbows are harder to block. thats there "bonus". at one point, bows fired much faster then a crossbow, but the crossbow had a higher maximum damage, and in the end, the dps balanced out. from what i've seen lately, i'm pretty sure turbine brought both closer to together, so that the preference is a cosmetic choice, and not so much of a play style. but ya, the only real difference is crossbows are 5% harder to block, bows have a 1% higher chance to critical.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by mokoleus

crossbows are harder to block. thats there "bonus". at one point, bows fired much faster then a crossbow, but the crossbow had a higher maximum damage, and in the end, the dps balanced out. from what i've seen lately, i'm pretty sure turbine brought both closer to together, so that the preference is a cosmetic choice, and not so much of a play style. but ya, the only real difference is crossbows are 5% harder to block, bows have a 1% higher chance to critical.

I believe that's the case.

The biggest difference I've noticed is with improved swift bow.  With a long bow, the shots fire off slower at the end of the charge, at least in the animation.  Couldn't tell ya if that really effects your attack speed though.  i assume not.