Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no such thing as a cool character name

It is entirely subjective. I'm spend large amounts of time trying to come up with the perfect name for my character and If I look hard enough, every name has a flaw in It, everyones, not just ones I make up personally.

Sure, there are names that are really lame or completely out of place but I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about regular and acceptable fantasy names with a unique, original and creative flavor.

I've seen names that I would personally consider cooler than others even though they are on the same vibratory wave length. But that's besides the point.

It's personal taste.

Comments

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

depends on what names you choose ^^

Demonskull, Healbotter, Killyoudead, Blackhawk, Darkhawk, Skullcrusher, Nightblade, Darkblade, Bloodblade, Bloodhawk, Bloodskull, Skullblood, Darkblood and Bloodydark

don't have subtile, inherent flaws... they just suck.

Cool names are - in my book - names that seem like the actual character's parents could have given the name to their child. Like Morveth for a dark elf or Hinrich for a human paladin,...

M

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

i think names like dickhertz are pretty cool 

• mortharxmortharx Member Posts: 293

There is no such thing as NO!

Why? Because I say so!

R.I.P Chikaca Whachuchuimage

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

What is cool is entirely subjective.  So how can you draw conclusions.  You're not the only judge of cool.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694
    Originally posted by UknownAspect

What is cool is entirely subjective.  So how can you draw conclusions.  You're not the only judge of cool.

That's one of my points exactly.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

No.. I think the OP is wrong, there is a perfect - cool - character name.  Its MoonBear5.   Best name ever, its got your moon group, your bear group, and your number group all in one. The only one cooler is CaptainBananaHammock for a super hero game. 

BUT NO, those are the only 2 perfect names, and that is so totally the truth.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

I still think that playing FFXI I saw the best name ever. It was a Mithra (a cat-woman race) named Selinakyle ... people failing to see the irony ... Selina Kyle = Catwoman ... >.>

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by NeverLand7

It is entirely subjective. I'm spend large amounts of time trying to come up with the perfect name for my character and If I look hard enough, every name has a flaw in It, everyones, not just ones I make up personally.

Sure, there are names that are really lame or completely out of place but I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about regular and acceptable fantasy names with a unique, original and creative flavor.

I've seen names that I would personally consider cooler than others even though they are on the same vibratory wave length. But that's besides the point.

It's personal taste.

Why did you post this? It seems so random, if unprovoked. Will this be the first in a series? With the next posts having topics like 'There is no such thing as cool music', or 'there is no such thing as cool movies'?

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Its easier to get a cool name you like if more MMO';s went to a 1st and last name process like Eve and Fallen Earth.

(fires plunger at Rayman while using the can......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

I want a spinoff thread where people just state their favorite character names, just for fun.  Nope, no perfect names, but there are some really amusing one's out there. 

• masterbbb26masterbbb26 Member Posts: 181

Bilbo Teabaggins is universal an awesome name. lol

Currently Playing: Fallen Earth
    Played and liked: TCOS, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DDO
    Played and didn't like: CO, MO, STO, DF, AoC, WAR, WoW, EQ2, EVE, most f2p
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, Secret World

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

It's personal taste.

I don't know about you but my name is totally fucking rad.

• PharoinPharoin Member Posts: 90

Moonbear5....ROFL my stomach was hurting so bad. Im good now tho. I think it is cool characters tho. I usually choose historical names or names that have a meaning. It dosent make a difference but i just like to kinda relate to my character i guess u can say.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Its easier to get a cool name you like if more MMO';s went to a 1st and last name process like Eve and Fallen Earth.
    (fires plunger at Rayman while using the can......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Eve and Fallen Earth seem like they would need a two name system a lot more than a lot of the other mmos, because they each have all the players on one big server. Another game that had two names that could be added to the list is Guild Wars. With most mmos being broken up into smaller servers to spread the population out two names isn't needed as much. I do agree though that it would be easy to add two names into the game for everyone, and allow for more name freedom.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Sorry but your wrong.  My name is perfect haha :)

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Sorry I disagree with the OP. There is perfect names for characters. In World Of Warcraft  I have a pink tutu haired fairy gnome who is a pimp daddy warrior! His name of course is "IRONBALLS!    True.....Perfection!!!

Originally posted by someforumguy

It's personal taste.

Why did you post this? It seems so random, if unprovoked.

I personally find the name of your character in MMORPG's an important and unique aspect of this genre. And I personally have found coming up with the perfect name or a cool name that I can agree on for a long period of time, nearly impossible.

To some of us, names actually have a certain level of importance.

Maybe not to you, but to some of us It is an important aspect of the overall atmosphere, immersion and likeness of our own MMORPG characters.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

No.. I think the OP is wrong, there is a perfect - cool - character name.  Its MoonBear5.   Best name ever, its got your moon group, your bear group, and your number group all in one. The only one cooler is CaptainBananaHammock for a super hero game. 

BUT NO, those are the only 2 perfect names, and that is so totally the truth.

MoonBear5 what a great name KING NATTAL Kamalo. I see you have risen in the court of the Marsupial animals.

Shastriji speaks!!

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Sorry I disagree with the OP. There is perfect names for characters. In World Of Warcraft I have a pink tutu haired fairy gnome who is a pimp daddy warrior! His name of course is "IRONBALLS! True.....Perfection!!!

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

Well for starters, I would avoid names ending with wolf =P

Lonewulf shouts, "HLP im stuck @ the tutoral!!"

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

So someone make up or give a list of cool character names then.

A kind of cool name I saw was this Drakkin in EQ named Aramill Windfury.

Some names I've come up with that are not utterly horrible :

Valion

Zethos

Zethryu

Cyrel

Myseriul

Grathsmar

Sethriel

Gilraneth

Just to name a few. I'm still not happy with those and the other hundreds of names I've come up with.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

I had a female woodelf ranger that wore a full set of hot pink armor named Piritien Pynk. Also a Vahl Shir Beastlord named Zalasar Razorwhiskers. I liked having the option of the two part name system in EQ.

Had an undead priest in WoW named Maggotbuffet.

I usually browse through a dictionary looking for cool sounding words to use for names, or use words that aren't very common that have similar meaning to the effects of the class/race/world my character is playing in. =)

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I have a Draenei Paladin named Divinegoat.

Holygoat was taken.

If you play WoW, you'll know why I picked goat.

That is all.

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

Rule of thumb is the harder you try to be cool, the more you fail. Works for everything, not just names.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85

Your only as cool as you think you are. Least how i think about it. People can say your name is not cool, but you know you are. ;)

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.