Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Gamer Interview + There is exploration, it is a wide-open world

2»

Comments

• realdealrealdeal Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by madeux

Originally posted by realdeal

I have to agree with some in this thread,seeing is believing.

When was the last time Bioware didn't deliver exactly what they promised?

You know the line i hate most"it's BioWare" hmm think about it for a moment.

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223

People are forgetting BioWare has recently been acquired by EA and has also been expanding as a company. From what I understand the division in Texas that's working on SWTOR is a lot of new employees. New management too.

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by billynomates

Originally posted by returnintor

I am sorry but while there is much to be pleased about in the MMO Gamer article, it does sem to me that Blaine Christine - who is not a developer or a programmer or an artist but a project manager - does not seem to understand some of the basic terms of the MMO experience or, at least, is using them in terms that suggest he means different things by them than most players would mean. That is why I, personally, am very dubious when he claims that SWTOR will be a 'open world', especially when every piece of game and concept art quite clearly shows bounadaries, walls and obstacles enclosing small-ish playable areas.

Same here..

1.Open world to me means no instances for a start.

2. If i see a mountain ,then i will be able to cross that mountain and come down the other side,right?

3. It means no invisible walls.

4. It means no loading screens only between planets because we are talking space with this mmorpg.

5.It means that i can explore a whole world without having to stop at a certain point.

Now,if swtor has all these then ,Syes it's an open world.

Some would call AOC an open world but we all know it is not. Will i be able to open doors instead of loading into them..ie lotro-aoc.

Like you ,i think BioWare really need to show us these open world or at least show us the one they have released to the public.

I hope your not entirely serious about the doors part. Did you ever play Matrix? They didn't have loads for their buildings...it was awful. I will gladly take loads into a building, as long as it isn't a private little instance for myself just to buy stuff. I'm thinking more like DDO and their doors.

• realdealrealdeal Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Delusive

I am sorry but while there is much to be pleased about in the MMO Gamer article, it does sem to me that Blaine Christine - who is not a developer or a programmer or an artist but a project manager - does not seem to understand some of the basic terms of the MMO experience or, at least, is using them in terms that suggest he means different things by them than most players would mean. That is why I, personally, am very dubious when he claims that SWTOR will be a 'open world', especially when every piece of game and concept art quite clearly shows bounadaries, walls and obstacles enclosing small-ish playable areas.

Well naturally it cannot be enirely open like lets say Vanguard. Why? Because there are planets, and a person can't walk from one planet to the next. So I would think they mean something like SWG. You will load between one planet to the next, but what the planet provides, will be yours to explore. At least that is what I take form it.

You hit it on the head,it's not open wide.As of now, no one in this thread has actually seen one of the planets. Many devs have said "its open world" but their description of "open world" is a lot different from what many mmorpg call open world.

As someone has stated, if i see that mountain far away in the distance,can i climb it and cross it without hitting a wall.If i can't climb it then ,why not,it's meant to be an open world,right.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Persephassa

People are forgetting BioWare has recently been acquired by EA and has also been expanding as a company. From what I understand the division in Texas that's working on SWTOR is a lot of new employees. New management too.

I think new basically means partnered companies such as mythic and LA. If that was what you was implying then nvm. Also even since their partnership with EA they are producing games that look simply amazing Mass Effect 2,  Dragon Age:Origins and so far ToR is looking to be absolutely amazing as well. What's the problem with EA anyways? Everybody still believe they ruined WAR? In my opinion WAR sucked because Mythic couldn't live up to the hype, and even today (now that they have had time to work on it) the game looks horrible plays horrible and will always be horrible. I don't think it would have been any different if the EA logo was not on the game box.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Awesome news!

This is the first time i have heard anything intresting about SWTOR.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

New interview with MMO Gamer
    "There is exploration, there is combat, it is a wide-open world. Going to have crafting and harvesting, going to have guilds and social activities…
    We certainly expect you’re going to spend a lot of time doing that. We don’t want to mislead people into thinking, there’s been speculation out there, “It just looks like a single-player game!”

This article seems pretty good and I'm happy that they aren't "forgetting" about some of the aspects of the MMO experience that help keep people around.  Honestly, I would never have played WoW as long as I did had it not been for a fantastic guild and just enjoying the experience with friends.  Beyond that the game lost it's luster for me about a year in.  I'm not sure I'm ready to buy into the 'wide open world' until I see it.  I mean, from a certain point of view, you could argue that planets like Dantooine in the KOTOR series was 'wide open' but I never thought it was.  Either way I don't give a darn.  Bioware is getting my $60 and at least a few months of subscription fees because it's still Bioware and it's still Star Wars.  I'd rather dump my money to a company like Bioware who's never made a game I played of theirs that I didn't like than a company like SOE. 

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

If SW:TOR is an MMORPG then so is Fable 2...

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Finbar

If SW:TOR is an MMORPG then so is Fable 2...

hurp hurp ur so clever

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

So, how IS the Kool Aid, guys?
    Seems like you guys will be just fine with buying the game without seeing anything besides some cut scenes and 1 or 2 person PvE.

Hellz yeah, Ima go out and preorder the special edition. Head start here I come.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

deleted

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Loke666

Same here..
    2. If i see a mountain ,then i will be able to cross that mountain and come down the other side,right?
    4. It means no loading screens only between planets because we are talking space with this mmorpg.
    5.It means that i can explore a whole world without having to stop at a certain point.
    Some would call AOC an open world but we all know it is not. Will i be able to open doors instead of loading into them..ie lotro-aoc.
     Like you ,i think BioWare really need to show us these open world or at least show us the one they have released to the public.

Having a mountain in the background does not really makes the game closed, invisible walls and loading does that.

Just because you can't walk on 100% of a planet doesn't mean that the game world is closed, it is impossible to make several planets to 100%. Does any game have a full planet even that you can walk all around and come back to where you started?

We will still see if this is a truly open game or not. AoC is not an open world, since you cant walk from a city to another without talking a boat or cart (a loading screen will also pop ut there).

You are actually repeating what i have said.As for a mmoropg that i can walk around, well yes their is,it's called Vanguard.Remember i am using Vanguard as an example,so before anyone says 2well go and play it then",it's an example.

Same here..

I hope your not entirely serious about the doors part. Did you ever play Matrix? They didn't have loads for their buildings...it was awful. I will gladly take loads into a building, as long as it isn't a private little instance for myself just to buy stuff. I'm thinking more like DDO and their doors.

Yes, i am serious..?

Originally posted by uttaus

Has there ever been this much hate and desire for a game to fail before it even has come out. . It reminds me of the republicans who want president Obama to fail no matter the cost. 
    I really don't get it. Did Bioware go around kicking people in the balls or  something? Can anyone shed light on this crazily intense reaction?

I am 100% serious I just want to understand where the hate is coming from?

It's not hate,it's called learning your lesson from over zelous dev teams who really will say anything to get your cash.Unfortantly for BioWare,they come into the mmorpg arena when mmorpg gamers are very dubious about what dev team say about thir games.

Where have you been for the last 5 years.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

one aspect of a games success is to not overhype the game and have unrealistic expectations. Thats already happening with this game. It coudl be alright but from what people think its gonna be it'll never live up to it and bee seen as a failure.

• Minion552Minion552 Member Posts: 67

The Devs words and I quote  a Massive open world to exsplore in.  This means nothing more then every planet you see will be open to exsplore in houses,buldings,caves,sewers, ect ect...  There is already a name for it *Sand Box*  most sand box games you can go anywhere and do whatever however so buildings and houses and such you can not access.  SWG is a sand box game and you on the map can go anywhere over hills on the water in the water.

I am sure that the Devs wide open world is nothing more then telling us that the maps will be sand box feel where you are able to go anywhere and not like in wow for exsample where you can go up some hills but not all and be limited to where you can go and where you can not.

Why some of you people think this is anything more then what it is i will never know and further more why you have to talk trash about a game without even knowing wtf your talking about.  Sorry one thing i can not stand and i am not trying to start anything is people who open their mouth and spurt out mind numbing giberish without even having a fing clue what the real topic is.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by uttaus

Has there ever been this much hate and desire for a game to fail before it even has come out. . It reminds me of the republicans who want president Obama to fail no matter the cost. 
    I really don't get it. Did Bioware go around kicking people in the balls or  something? Can anyone shed light on this crazily intense reaction?

I am 100% serious I just want to understand where the hate is coming from?

It's not hate,it's called learning your lesson from over zelous dev teams who really will say anything to get your cash.Unfortantly for BioWare,they come into the mmorpg arena when mmorpg gamers are very dubious about what dev team say about thir games.

It's funny that you say that, its over-evident that you are completely ignorant and uneducated about this game and BioWare.

First off, if you had followed the game in the slightest you would know that BioWare does not release any features in news articles or interviews that have not been implemented 100%. That alone is a good reason to separate BioWare from other game makers such as Funcom. If you think this game is going to be anything but fun, you are extremely mistaken.

And also, the developers cannot be blamed for over-hyping a game, they have so far, only been excited that this is a story driven game that focuses on making the player feel heroic during their playtime. Any over-hype that has been created is solely due to the fans themselves getting a little excited.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Playing Bioware games. And they've all been awesome.

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

And to atest to Bioware's quality on single player games every one I have played, I played in excess of 3 plus times and their KOTOR single player game 8 times.

If they can make a single player game with enough depth and story to get me to replay it many times over then I imagine they can make an in depth enjoyable MMO.   

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• KordacKordac Member Posts: 80

The first reviews of Dragon Age Origins are also very, very promising. People are calling it the best RPG of the decade and it's  also a challange which seems to be getting rarer in games these days.  I can't wait for it now and with ME2 due to land in the new year I'm glad TOR isn't out yet :D

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Originally posted by remyburke

well that 's good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

lol to true huh.. That WAS what it has looked like " a single player game" .. Just got a wait now to see more

• sadeisinsanesadeisinsane Member Posts: 58

After reading the interview about SW:TOR, I think Bioware is just trying to reaffirm that the game is an actual MMO, not a single player game.  That seems to be a big concern to people who have seen the videos on it and read that the game is completely soloable.  On that note, they also stated that you can group and there are group quests, but it is not required to be in a group to play the game all the way through. I think they are addressing the issue that some people do like to play MMOs but don't want to be confined to playing a lot of the content by being in a group.  I myself like to be able to log onto a game sometimes and play by myself when it comes to a particular quest or objective in the game, and it drives me nuts sometimes that I can't without getting a group to help me.  By stating that the game is open world, I don't think they are looking at an actual definition of what that means, just that the game is open to explore, its not linear, meaning once you complete this quest you must go to point " x"  and only to point "x".  That if you chose to you could go somewhere else, and not continue on towards that particular goal at this point or never, then you don't have to.

I don't understand why everyone reads soo much into this.  Why do soo many people overanalyze what is said and start hating on something that they haven't even played yet.  I think Bioware is just trying to answer some "simple" questions that people have concerns about and not trying to make it a 2 hour lecture about one little detail.  I am 100% that once more information is released to the public, new trailers, and if your lucky enough to make it into the beta, all your questions and concerns will be answerred.  The interview was really simple to understand, it's not rocket science people! 

• VaniveVanive Member Posts: 49

Not sure how this is "new" news, they said this long ago. www.massively.com/2008/10/23/swtor-overview-part-2/

Massively: Will the game make use of instancing?

Rich: Yes, there is going to be a form of instancing. That's very important to a lot of different things – being able to do storytelling, being able to do experiences that aren't disrupted in public areas ... they are a part of our game. We do have both though, and we want to make sure you don't feel like you are in a single-player game.

Jake: We feel because it's an MMO and players play MMOs because they want to feel like they're a part of a vast world, you can't make too heavy use of instancing or you take that feeling away. It is a balance, though, like Rich was saying.

Rich: I met my first friends online by getting in trouble with a monster and they came over to rescue me. That is the kind of experience you can't get without public areas.

I gotz a 300,000 BTU WTFBBQ!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I had to laugh at this, pretty much what I have been saying.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75

Well naturally it cannot be enirely open like lets say Vanguard. Why? Because there are planets, and a person can't walk from one planet to the next. So I would think they mean something like SWG. You will load between one planet to the next, but what the planet provides, will be yours to explore. At least that is what I take form it.

You hit it on the head,it's not open wide.As of now, no one in this thread has actually seen one of the planets. Many devs have said "its open world" but their description of "open world" is a lot different from what many mmorpg call open world.

As someone has stated, if i see that mountain far away in the distance,can i climb it and cross it without hitting a wall.If i can't climb it then ,why not,it's meant to be an open world,right.

CMON DUDE... DO YOU SEE THE EVEREST? JUST FKG CLIMB IT NOOB OR YOUR NOT IN A FKG REAL WORLD. THIS IS THE MATRIX. Caps intended for retarded behaviour so this retard can understand me.