Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Gamer Interview + There is exploration, it is a wide-open world

mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

New interview with MMO Gamer

"There is exploration, there is combat, it is a wide-open world. Going to have crafting and harvesting, going to have guilds and social activities…

We certainly expect you’re going to spend a lot of time doing that. We don’t want to mislead people into thinking, there’s been speculation out there, “It just looks like a single-player game!”

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

well that 's good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Joined - July 2004

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by remyburke

well that 's good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

No problem : D

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Great find!  This should lay to rest a few worries, although the I'm sure the hardcore whiners are going to just dismiss it.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Great news!

Was getting a little concerned about this game. Looks like they're headed in the right direction.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• wolfr3wolfr3 Member Posts: 24

Good news indeed, although I think people will still want to see screenshots. Because of alot of the majorly hyped games that came out over the last 2 years which failed to make good on what they said the game would have...TOR will continue to get flak up till launch day. I really hope this one won't let people down.

Originally posted by wolfr3

Good news indeed, although I think people will still want to see screenshots. Because of alot of the majorly hyped games that came out over the last 2 years which failed to make good on what they said the game would have...TOR will continue to get flak up till launch day. I really hope this one won't let people down.

Well it seem that they really don't want/intend to let people down.

Information is released only when features in said releases are fully implemented so no one is misled and has any false expectations.

If they get flak for that, then "so be it". At least they won't get criticized repeatedly like Funcom for lying about release features.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Nice find. Probably the most important part to me.

"We’re trying to really get the message out, all of the other stuff is there, it’s just a little harder to demo that. Of course we want to demo the coolest stuff, and things that we feel is new into an MMO, but all of the other stuff is definitely going to be there."

Originally posted by greed0104

Nice find. Probably the most important part to me.
    "We’re trying to really get the message out, all of the other stuff is there, it’s just a little harder to demo that. Of course we want to demo the coolest stuff, and things that we feel is new into an MMO, but all of the other stuff is definitely going to be there."

Yeah, I think people are expecting a little too much of them in terms of information, they are first and foremost developing an MMO, they do not have hours on end to spend filming fan friday movies detailing every aspect of their game, so they put out the most compelling stuff when they have time.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Great find. It sort of relives me, since I too began to fear SWTOR was all about some story co-op. Good to know. ^^

EDIT: After reading it, I think this is one of the best insights so far. I can understand why they keep things such a secret. TOR may actually be one of the big turning points in MMO or maybe even gaming history, and with the many MMOs out there the stakes are high, not only in terms of money but in prestige. If it fails, we are stuck the the same old grindy MMOs for long, so we all must hope it works out well.

And of course there is a big risk other companies can steal the ideas before TOR has launched. Blizzard is alas (in)famous to steal succesful ideas from ongoing MMOs, trying to dry them out like "look we have that now too". So it is perfectly understandable Bioware is tight lipped about many of the details.

Originally posted by Yunbei

Great find. It sort of relives me, since I too began to fear SWTOR was all about some story co-op. Good to know. ^^
    EDIT: After reading it, I think this is one of the best insights so far. I can understand why they keep things such a secret. TOR may actually be one of the big turning points in MMO or maybe even gaming history, and with the many MMOs out there the stakes are high, not only in terms of money but in prestige. If it fails, we are stuck the the same old grindy MMOs for long, so we all must hope it works out well.
    And of course there is a big risk other companies can steal the ideas before TOR has launched. Blizzard is alas (in)famous to steal succesful ideas from ongoing MMOs, trying to dry them out like "look we have that now too". So it is perfectly understandable Bioware is tight lipped about many of the details.

Not to mention that BioWare's reputation is on the stake as a game development company, and it's not that they are keeping them secret, although to a degree it's more than likely. It's that they are protecting themselves from possible backlash if features do not make it in-game, releasing them when they are implemented.

WoW will never steal the fully voiced component, it would require WAY to much work for them, it's something that a game needs to be built upon.

Aside from that innovation and the "heroism feel" we have pretty much no clue what else will be added, which I guess is a good thing for the sake of the innovation staying where it was innovated.

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

New interview with MMO Gamer
    "There is exploration, there is combat, it is a wide-open world. Going to have crafting and harvesting, going to have guilds and social activities…
    We certainly expect you’re going to spend a lot of time doing that. We don’t want to mislead people into thinking, there’s been speculation out there, “It just looks like a single-player game!”

He didn't actually find it,i did.It was part of an interview i link in an earlier post.

Wide open world..Well let's wait and see what BioWare define as "wide open" let's hope they are not in the same minds as to what Funcom define as "wide open".

That prove nothing until players get into the actual game.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

but but! It's supposed to be a tiny, linear, do exactly as told game.  I will ignore this and continue to post bad things about this game because I want to, muahahaha.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

So, how IS the Kool Aid, guys?

Seems like you guys will be just fine with buying the game without seeing anything besides some cut scenes and 1 or 2 person PvE.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• sartoksartok Member Posts: 79

The whole game os soloable huh? No raids? No duneons??

Originally posted by sartok

Their are instances but from what the devs have said "everything can be done solo" as for raids,they have not mentioned anything about raids at all.I can see why now,because the whole game is a solo casual game,giving you the choice to group and really wipe out the enemies with no chance of actually dying.

The "entire" game can be soloed.

People are having a hard time understand what that word means.

Originally posted by billynomates

Their are instances but from what the devs have said "everything can be done solo" as for raids,they have not mentioned anything about raids at all.I can see why now,because the whole game is a solo casual game,giving you the choice to group and really wipe out the enemies with no chance of actually dying.

It means that you can CHOOSE to group, CHOOSE to do raids or "dungeons", but you will also be able to choose other paths of progression.

Originally posted by madeux

It means that you can CHOOSE to group, CHOOSE to do raids or "dungeons", but you will also be able to choose other paths of progression.

Raids,have they even mentioned raid,no they have not.As of now they have mentioned instances,not raids,this is you just assuming.

Like i said,ill go with what the dev said "The Entire game can be soloed" giving you that single player experience.This includes the dungeons as well. These are not my words but a BioWare devs words,is she lying?

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223

It's nice that they are trying to squash rumors but I hope they can deliver on their promises. Players tend to be quite bitter about being mislead... Just look at all the hatred towards Funcom after AoC's launch.

Originally posted by returnintor

I am sorry but while there is much to be pleased about in the MMO Gamer article, it does sem to me that Blaine Christine - who is not a developer or a programmer or an artist but a project manager - does not seem to understand some of the basic terms of the MMO experience or, at least, is using them in terms that suggest he means different things by them than most players would mean. That is why I, personally, am very dubious when he claims that SWTOR will be a 'open world', especially when every piece of game and concept art quite clearly shows bounadaries, walls and obstacles enclosing small-ish playable areas.

Same here..

1.Open world to me means no instances for a start.

2. If i see a mountain ,then i will be able to cross that mountain and come down the other side,right?

3. It means no invisible walls.

4. It means no loading screens only between planets because we are talking space with this mmorpg.

5.It means that i can explore a whole world without having to stop at a certain point.

Now,if swtor has all these then ,Syes it's an open world.

Some would call AOC an open world but we all know it is not. Will i be able to open doors instead of loading into them..ie lotro-aoc.

Like you ,i think BioWare really need to show us these open world or at least show us the one they have released to the public.

• realdealrealdeal Member Posts: 25

I have to agree with some in this thread,seeing is believing.

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223

Hopefully they can find a happy medium as far as world design. To me, having some open-world like zones where you can spend hours running around harvesting or simply exploring, plus having much more linear and instanced caves, paths, compounds/buildings, and things of that nature off to the side would be perfectly fine with me. I think the only thing that would really irk me is if the entire game zones are instanced like AoC/Tabula Rasa/EQ2. 

Originally posted by realdeal

I have to agree with some in this thread,seeing is believing.

When was the last time Bioware didn't deliver exactly what they promised?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Yunbei

I don't think Blizzard will steal that much from Bioware, they have always been walking very different paths.

Blizzard is Diablo and Bioware is Baldurs gate, it was true then and is still true.

Blizzard have never been that interested in telling a great story, they are more about action. If TOR have some new interesting combat features they might rip them of course.

Bioware is more going for telling a fun story, a Bioware game have always been closer to a book or a movie. Blizzard make action games and in wows case it also have a lot of timesinks, it seems like Bioware is trying to keep them short.

It doesn't mean that one of them is better, but Bioware have always been doing their own stuff and I am not so sure that the Wow fans will even like TOR, Bioware is making games for the Bioware fans and Blizzard for the Bliz fans, it is not the same people.

I hope TOR works out, we need some new thinking in MMOs (no, making a new UO is not new thinking).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Same here..
    1.Open world to me means no instances for a start.
    2. If i see a mountain ,then i will be able to cross that mountain and come down the other side,right?
    3. It means no invisible walls.
    4. It means no loading screens only between planets because we are talking space with this mmorpg.
    5.It means that i can explore a whole world without having to stop at a certain point.
    Now,if swtor has all these then ,Syes it's an open world.
    Some would call AOC an open world but we all know it is not. Will i be able to open doors instead of loading into them..ie lotro-aoc.
     Like you ,i think BioWare really need to show us these open world or at least show us the one they have released to the public.

Having a mountain in the background does not really makes the game closed, invisible walls and loading does that.

Just because you can't walk on 100% of a planet doesn't mean that the game world is closed, it is impossible to make several planets to 100%. Does any game have a full planet even that you can walk all around and come back to where you started?

We will still see if this is a truly open game or not. AoC is not an open world, since you cant walk from a city to another without talking a boat or cart (a loading screen will also pop ut there).

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by returnintor

I am sorry but while there is much to be pleased about in the MMO Gamer article, it does sem to me that Blaine Christine - who is not a developer or a programmer or an artist but a project manager - does not seem to understand some of the basic terms of the MMO experience or, at least, is using them in terms that suggest he means different things by them than most players would mean. That is why I, personally, am very dubious when he claims that SWTOR will be a 'open world', especially when every piece of game and concept art quite clearly shows bounadaries, walls and obstacles enclosing small-ish playable areas.

Well naturally it cannot be enirely open like lets say Vanguard. Why? Because there are planets, and a person can't walk from one planet to the next. So I would think they mean something like SWG. You will load between one planet to the next, but what the planet provides, will be yours to explore. At least that is what I take form it.