Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMORPG's are HOT in Korea?

I know Aion and World of Warcraft are pretty popular there but there must be something unique that they're playing over there?

They also play Lineage 2 I believe but South Korea is too much of a perfectionist and high taste to just play those games, so there must be something I'm missing.

image Save me from this abyss of Hell Serge!

Comments

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

I met a korean guy that was playing Mabinogi (or something like that) but that was 5 years ago. There is also  AIKA which was recently added on the MMO list.

• bastiibastii Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Luneth7

but South Korea is too much of a perfectionist and high taste to just play those games

LOL

Korea, the nation that copies just about everything from the West is "too high taste to play those games".

That's the most ridiculous things I've ever heard about Korea. All of their games are watered down copies from the West or Japan.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by bastii

but South Korea is too much of a perfectionist and high taste to just play those games

LOL

Korea, the nation that copies just about everything from the West is "too high taste to play those games".

That's the most ridiculous things I've ever heard about Korea. All of their games are watered down copies from the West or Japan.

Actually they aren't.

Japan has always been a more console focused market where as South Korea has been big on PC games and mmorpgs for a long time now. 

Originally posted by Gameloading

Actually they aren't.
    Japan has always been a more console focused market where as South Korea has been big on PC games and mmorpgs for a long time now. 

Long time PC developers? You're joking right?

PC gaming companies in Korea, the few they have, were founded during the the last decade, Japane's console gaming was founded during the 1900's. I believe 100 years is a slight difference?

Also, Korea doesn't really have many notable PC gaming companies. I bet you can count them on one hand, Japan has hundreds.

Actually they aren't.

PC gaming companies in Korea, the few they have, were founded during the the last decade, Japane's console gaming was founded during the 1900's. I believe 100 years is a slight difference?

Also, Korea doesn't really have many notable PC gaming companies. I bet you can count them on one hand, Japan has hundreds.

Korea actually has loads of pc gaming companies, where do you think all those free to play korean mmorpgs come from?

Japanese console gaming is completely different from PC gaming. The games Japan made were almost always singleplayer games on consoles. Korean games were almost always online games on the PC, especially mmorpgs.

They are two entirely different markets

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Aion, FIFA and Sudden Attack are three of the really big multiplayer online games over there right now.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • minchet456minchet456 Member Posts: 42

Actually they aren't.

You're retarded........

Originally posted by minchet456

Actually they aren't.

You're retarded........

What are you not understanding? 1900+100 = 2000.... There's no reason to lash out.

Japan's console gaming companies starting around 1900, Korea's PC development around the last decade, 2000. That's 100 years difference.

Might want to actually bother to read.

Japans console gaming started somewhere around the 1970s and 80s. I don't know when PC gaming became big in korea but the oldest korean game I know of was from 1996.

That's not 100 years of difference.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Lol at console gaming companies being there in 1900's.

*Hey daddy, i just came home from the coal mine and wife seems to be playing with barbie dolls may i go play halo on my 360?*

Japans console gaming started somewhere around the 1970s and 80s. I don't know when PC gaming became big in korea but the oldest korean game I know of was from 1996.

Nintendo was making games long before that, they're from 1889. Yes, the actual production of console cartridges came later, but their foundation for games was already there.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Lol at console gaming companies being there in 1900's.
    *Hey daddy, i just came home from the coal mine and wife seems to be playing with barbie dolls may i go play halo on my 360?*

That doesn't even make sense.

Nintendo was making games long before that, they're from 1889. Yes, the actual production of console cartridges came later, but their foundation for games was already there.

Nintendo made card games in 1889, not console games.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm from Taiwan, not Korea, but the top 20 MMORPG consist of wow, aion, lineage1, lineage 2, and 16 other crappy f2p games.

I think Korea is in the same case.

You have to wait a while before the next big MMORPG release.

Nintendo made card games in 1889, not console games.

True, and you have a point, I was talking about the companies themselves.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

@Bastii are you kidding?  Did you just pull years out of your ass?  100 years???  WHAT?

The first true video game wasn't invented till about 1958 (a crude version of Pong called Tennis for Two) - note that pinball machines did exist before then, but they didn't use video so they couldn't be called a VIDEO game.  The first CONSOLE was released in 1972 (Magnavox Odyssey).  Japan wasn't really a major player in the video game industry till around the mid-late 70s.  I believe the first console released by a Japanese company (Nintendo) was Game & Watch (1980 - also first handheld), but I might be wrong about that information.

Also what do you define as notable?  NCSoft is certainly a notable Korean company.  There are a few other Korean companies that might be considered notable like Softmax and Webzen.

A major cause of Korea not being a huge player in the console market is due to ridiculous bans in South Korea.  I'm pretty sure for quite a long period of time Xbox was banned in South Korea (this could be inaccurate).  A lot of games, even ones that are pretty mild by US standards (and we all know how Puritanical the US can be) are banned in Korea too.  Lack of funding could be another reason (it costs a lot to get all the licenses and software to actually build a console game).  If you are looking for a recent game just released this month from a Korean company for the console market you could check out Magna Carta 2.

The earliest japanese console I could find was the Color Tv Game from Nintendo, released in 1977.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

What about C9 and Mabongi Heroes?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I find it funny that anyone would think there were any serious consoles or pc games before the late 70's. I actually owned the TRS-80 model 1 which I bought in 1979. The Atari 2600 was probably the first real console that could play multiple games by implementing the cartridge.

I believe it was the 1940's that there was actually a functional mainframe. And it consisted of vacuum tubes that required huge amounts of space. The first pc was in 1971 called the Altair 8800.

The pc and console really didn't start becoming mainstream until the last quarter of the 20th century.

• lovemehatemelovemehateme Member Posts: 19

how about the blade and soul..?

from what country was it developed?

i saw it's teaser and it's really cute..

im currently playing atlantica now and so far so good..

i thought it is from america but later on i found out

it's main developer was still from korea..

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Actually they aren't.

did you just say console games have been around for 100 years?

Really?

Try about 30...

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

I know Aion and World of Warcraft are pretty popular there but there must be something unique that they're playing over there?

They also play Lineage 2 I believe but South Korea is too much of a perfectionist and high taste to just play those games, so there must be something I'm missing.

high taste of rats and cats

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm not sure the below info is 100% correct.

C9 have it's korea open beta in september, Mabongi Heroes is supposely to have it's open beta now.

Blade & soul, and tera is still in development.  I don't know about blade & soul.  Tera is probably having it's korean open beta in spring 2010.

edit: C9 is f2p with cashshop.  I dont' know about Mabongi Heroes.

Many non Koreans are playing c9 with fake Korean ID.  Mabongi Heroes require you to have local cell phone identification, so if your a foreigners you won't be able to play.