Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here is something you might have missed about the beloved $OE.

ZartanyenZartanyen Member Posts: 72

From the following article:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19807.cfm?utm_source=newsletterENG&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20091015

"Thousands of Sony PlayStation 3 ('PS3') video game owners who downloaded a system update required by Sony found that the update caused their PS3 units to malfunction and actually damaged the hardware on many units," read the claim, via Ars. "For owners who sustained hardware damage from the Sony-required update, Sony is charging a $150 repair fee per unit. Sony, responding to the numerous complaints about the unacceptable effects of the defective update, released a further, optional update that it claimed 'improves system stability'—yet performance problems continued, and the new update did nothing to remedy the systems of users who sustained hardware damage."

Wow, if this is true, I guess PS3 owners now know what it's like to download "updates" from Sony, just like SWG vets. Oi vey. Until now, I thought consoles would be safe from the kind of b.s. gamers have had to contend with re. unwanted updates that makes things stop working. I guess that's no longer the case.

Makes me really glad my PS2 is still working, and that I don't receive any updates online.

OMG this is funny as hell.

I must /fall to knee's and give worship to the great and all mighty $OE.

As soon as I am done laughing.

I can almost see the bored meeting that took place.

CEO sony "Bob report status of $OE".

Bob" well even after droping the price on the PS3 sales are not where we want them to be FFXIV is still not even close to release we realy need DC univerese to help pull us through and bioware is puting out SWTOR probaly around spring at least that will be the final nail in in the coffin for SWG and we will not have to listen to the old vets bash us any more because the game can be brought off line for good."

CEO "This is not good how can we suck more money out of our fan base with out puting out anything new?"

Tom " I have a idea."

CEO "let's hear it."

Tom " ok well we can put out a update that will damage or cause the PS3 to malfunction then charge the customers a repair fee to fix their now damaged PS3 and they will not think of geting a new one because the patch will damage their new PS3 as well its like adding a free fee on top of the price of the PS3 just in time for the holidays."

CEO " thats a great idea you my boy just got a promotion."

Bob " thats kind of unethical is it not?"

CEO " bob we do not care about ethic's or our customers here at $OE we care about profit and any way to increase it at all costs."

Figured most of you do not check out the console section of these forms but just wanted to show you the pure greed of $OE no one is safe from the profit machine...

Comments

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

What does SOE have anything to do with SCE? They are two different companies. They just happen to be owned by the same stock holders.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Agreed, you are comparing two totally separate branches that have pretty much nothing to do with each other I suspect.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZartanyenZartanyen Member Posts: 72

They are difrent branches of the same tree do not think for one minute that a division starts to fail or leak money that funds can not and do not get  redirected from one of the various sony franchies including music and movie.

I would bet money on some sort of joint conection when it came to the EQ franchies in general when they launched it for the PS2 and also a joint profit sharing over FF.

I do not even want to get into their back door dealings with old 989 sports and verant over EQ. or knife in the back would be more to the point.

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138

Sigh....fail.

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Zartanyen

They are difrent branches of the same tree do not think for one minute that a division starts to fail or leak money that funds can not and do not get  redirected from one of the various sony franchies including music and movie.
    I would bet money on some sort of joint conection when it came to the EQ franchies in general when they launched it for the PS2 and also a joint profit sharing over FF.
    I do not even want to get into their back door dealings with old 989 sports and verant over EQ. or knife in the back would be more to the point.

This post is almost as bad as people who complain that the developers ruined the game. The developers do not get to make the overall design decisions. They can only make suggestions or are forced to come up with suggestions that will accomplish the tasks set forward by the executive producers.

The board and the executives of the Sony conglomerate do not micromanage what goes into each of the products. They simply assess risk and choose whether to invest in a specific market or not. They leave the overall direction and actual risk to the executive producers. Which in turn will outline very specific demands for the developers to meet in an SOW (statement of work). Usually, in large companies, several co-producers will act on the behalf of the executive producer and manager specific areas (such as art, programming, etc.) - which will leave the exec. producer free to deal with marketing to try to drum up development money.

SCE, has absolutely nothing to do with SOE. It has completely different teams with completely different goals. The board of Sony will divert money from one area to another area. However, they probably don't even know what Star Wars Galaxies even is - as their focus is assessing risk and investing. In fact, some people should be glad that the Sony parent company hasn't demands SOE to compeletly pull the plug on SWG seeing it as too high of a risk with little to no return.

• marshviperxmarshviperx Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Agreed, you are comparing two totally separate branches that have pretty much nothing to do with each other I suspect.

actually SOE is now under control of the playstation end of things now. they were under sony pictures but not anymore. this update fiasco is just another sign of greed and lack of concern for customers on sony's part.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

LOL. Wow. Sony and SoE may be different entities under the "Sony" brand...but this shows that the problems with Sony are not limited to just SWG. Their contempt of customers may stem from the top.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Humans make a misatke, news at 11.

Also, this is no different than the recent Wii update.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by TUX426

LOL. Wow. Sony and SoE may be different entities under the "Sony" brand...but this shows that the problems with Sony are not limited to just SWG. Their contempt of customers may stem from the top.

This is news?

The CEO that Stringer replaced even stated that Sony Corp had lost touch with its customers and their needs.

The large share holder meetings have been hostile to say the least for years now...  At one point (possibly still) to even be able to sell TV's they had to buy the picture tubes from a competitor (samsung maybe.. was a korean company regardless).

Where at one point they really were a leader at least in electronics.

Tho SOE has nothing to do with the PS3 development.  SOE was actually part of Sony Pictures but it was moved over into the same branch as the PS3 a while back.  Tho to be honest....  It was originally SCEI (or close to that) before the name was changed various times (989 Studio's, Verant) and finally to SOE.   That's one of those things I always love when someone says that SOE bought EQ.. when it was always a Sony property.

Oh and the only reason the name was ever changed to begin with was that SCEI went into being Console only and now SOE is back under that same umbrella.  However, the news posted in the OP has nothing to do with SOE...

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

When SoE merged with SCE part of their press release said  "According to today's announcement, SOE's integration into the Japanese giant's computer-entertainment business will "mutually benefit both companies by further accelerating the PlayStation business through SOE's strong online-gaming expertise." SCE also plans to keep SOE on the MMOG beat, developing games for the PC and PS3. SOE president John Smedley will retain his role at the publisher, reporting now to Hirai."

That implies to me a fairly strong connection between the 2 divisions.

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

While the story may or may not provide some with the opportunity to bash SOE , it does give the Xbox 360 owners the opportunity to say "Our console is great and that over priced hunk of junk PS3 is still not worth the money you spent on it" to all those uppity PS3 owners.

I am laughing with glee at this. 

Thanks for the news I'm going harass some console owners I know who think they are superior for their PS3 Purchase.

my condolences for those non arogant  PS3 owns stuck with a repair bill.

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by uttaus

While the story may or may not provide some with the opportunity to bash SOE , it does give the Xbox 360 owners the opportunity to say "Our console is great and that over priced hunk of junk PS3 is still not worth the money you spent on it" to all those uppity PS3 owners.
    I laughing with glee at this. 
    Thanks for the news I'm going harass some console owners I know.

What do you mean over priced? Both 360 and PS3 cost the same nowadays. I have to wonder how many people really had a problem with their PS3s. With the Internet nowadays everything is blown out of proportion, comparing with the 50%+ Failure rate of the 360 that even Microsoft didn't deny. I guess in the end one should poke more fun at the 360 *shrugs*

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by uttaus

I am laughing with glee at this. 
    Thanks for the news I'm going harass some console owners I know who think they are superior for their PS3 Purchase.
    my condolences for those non arogant  PS3 owns stuck with a repair bill.

Yah the 360 rocks, I had 3 of them that all red ringed.  As far as the price they were technically the same before the ps3 dropped its price to the same as the 360 considering the 360 doesn't have built in wireless and that is another $100 you will spend so yah, same price.  So now a PS3 is actually the better deal, blue-ray and built in wireless for $299 and you won't go through 3 of them.  Oh and you don't have to pay monthly to get online with the ps3.  Got my ps3 about a year ago and have not had one issue with it nor have i ever once regretted buying it.

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

Sorry about your luck wth rrd.  I have had access to 7 360s over the years and of all 7 only 1 has had the RRD.

I was hoping to go harass real life people about PS3 upityness not get in a pointless flame war about which is better on a forum.

I want rib people I know on that.  I was just doing a happy dance for the helpful information.

I know the PS3 fanboys are unshakable as I am unshakable about my support for 360.

So how about we stop and  do this:

Me:  Mine is better

You:  No mine is better

Me:  No mine is better

You:   No mine is better

Both of us: Nana nana boo boo

etc etc etc

we are done yeah {happy dance}

now go back to SOE hating.

Laters

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR