Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I getting too old for games? *__*

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ya know I have been a gamer for 25 years. I mean, computer games. I started my career with the old Commore C64, later to Amiga and then PC. I guess over the years I have played 1000 or more computer games. (Never was into consoles tho.) I played action, RPG and adventures mostly, but also my share of strategy, and I can honestly say of the many, many games I played, I finished about 98%.

Now, I am playing "Batman Arkham Asylum" for PC and "Venetica", both action RPGs... and on both I feel like I never gonna see the end of it. For me, gaming was always a sort of escapism, a way to play hero. I guess like for many. But recently, I face more and more games I just can't finish. I had played "Risen" the follow-up game of the Gothic series... and I just could not beat the End Boss. I just COULD NOT. It was something sequenced where you neede to react fast and in perfect timing, and granted, I never was good at that, and that kind of combat just recently came to PC games.

I just tried that damn Boss Mob 3 hours but I was unable to finish him (even WITH godmode in the end, due to the need of make the correct reaction sequence), and so the lands prolly were destroyed, I figure.

I always was proud to be a fairly experienced gamer. But recently... I feel like the old Obi-Wan, when confronting Vader, and Vader says to him that he was gotten slow or something. I so feel like that, now. Old. Getting too slow and too weak to manage a hobby I used to be quite good in. *sigh* Too many game worlds left where evil prevails. -__-

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

I know what you're talking about, I too have a number of unfinished games sitting on my shelf collecting dust. Yeah I try to reinstall and get back into my saved games, but it seems as time ticks away so does my attention span for finishing these games. It's kind of the reason I moved primarily to MMO's (I thought a game that never ends lol) but now I can't even seem to find one that can keep me playing for more than several months at a time. It does kinda make you wonder if you are indeed outgrowing gaming.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

It happens, I think as you age your taste in games start to change. I can't really get into FPS anymore, it has nothing to do with my reaction time, has more to do with me feeling like I have been there and done it, so before I reach the end I end up quiting because I feel no motivation to continue. You admit your reaction/speed in games were never the greatest, like I said, maybe you're just getting tired of playing practically the same game over and over. I played Risen, love it, played for a few hours, but I can't even launch the game without thinking of The Witcher, Gothic, or anythign to play like it.

Probably one of the best games I have played this year was Mount and Blade, fun, but my reasons for stopping was because once I mastered it, conquered 2 factions, I seen no need to continue, I already seen the out come and figured it was pointless to continue. I don't wanna blame developers or the games themselves, but sometimes it feels like the games lately have the bait to get you in, but no hook to keep you attached. Just my thought.

• TheDisposerTheDisposer Member Posts: 14

I am an old guy and also understand what u mean.  I am currently playing Red War Edems Curse and have finished quests but still enjoy playing game.  I has alot of options to PvP, Monster Race betting, Red War tournements throughout the day, Castle Sieges and many others.  Many weapons and gear upgrading options and is not a fast paced game which is perfect for me.  If u get a chance come check it out I am MasterDestroyer in the game come visit and see if u like it.

• blackangleblackangle Member Posts: 5

its not that your getting too old for gaming, its that your playing games wrong for you. alot of these games are geared more towards the fast pasted young kids who can run circles around anyone....or the teens that dont get out with all the repressed energy. i bet you could beat alot of people in games that make you think. look into more sandbox games where speed ins't required. there are people out there that like solving puzzles more then blowing up the death star with a half inch area to hit in a few seconds. you just play a different style at a different speed. hell i like to play the total war games so that i can pause and manipulate entire armies and watch the aftermath.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Grab yourself a cheap PS2 and Shadow of the Colossus. If that doesnt bring back your passion for games, nothing will.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

And that a lesson for sedentary nerds, GO DO SOME EXERCISES!! so when u can u get old u can still play fast paced games  =)

i do 1h after a 16h gaming shift, LMAO!!!

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Toquio3

Grab yourself a cheap PS2 and Shadow of the Colossus. If that doesnt bring back your passion for games, nothing will.

Even better, get a SNES and play "Paladin's Quest" or "Chrono Trigger", Or FF VII, Now THOSE were the good 'ole days.

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by Mithios

Even better, get a SNES and play "Paladin's Quest" or "Chrono Trigger", Or FF VII, Now THOSE were the good 'ole days.

Well the point isn't about playing older games (especially those beaten to death already), but recent games not being liked.

It's all about aging really.. when i was 13 i could play zelda or Mario on SNES hundreds of time beginning to end and still not get bored... now at 28, i have played many games and let's be frank, they are all just a better looking version of what came before, and i've played them all, so buying a new version of the same game just doesnb't cut it, especially now that i'm paying; also, games appeal less to adults who feed more on social relationships than video games leisure.

One thing that i really hated in a game i loved was the push-buttons sequence at the end of god of war 2: it took me 2 hours to do it... tell me about wasting an otherwise awesome game.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Too old???? Never!!!!!!!

I will be 80 years + in a diaper holding a Xbox 6000 remote talking shit to all the kiddies "BOOM!!! Head shot!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Old" is a state of mind.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

Although my reaction time hasn't slowed down considerably, I have noticed that I'm not as fast anymore. Doesn't stop me from playing games tho. Its starting to affect which games I chose to play tho. Playing more strategy games now, either turn-based or real-time. Most new games dont have the same appeal too, prolly due to the fact that I've seen so much, everything seems like a retelling of some old story.

Then theres one thing I picked up from an anime show (guess who said it) "I'm starting to prioritize sleep over games. I really must be getting old."

• UshibaruUshibaru Member Posts: 65

Too old for the game??

nahhhh... whatever your age is i think its ok for you to play online games or any kind of games..

it's up to you I was amazed by you for playing Online games for 25 years.. You're cool dude..

Aww... You know there is an advertisement I saw last month, It's about the Old woman who's very good in computer stuffs, and she's palying Counter stike, she's blogging, twitter, facebook and other internet related thing. And for me she's really a cool and awesome granny. even it's only an advertisement I like it. So Cool!!

So i think there is no age limit in playing, it's one way of relaxing and having fun. ^^

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I can't say that I've been playing games for 25+ years because, well, I'm only 26, but I can say that I can relate to what you're saying. Not so much what you said about the twitch based aspect of games, but the complete lack of innovation. I use to play a mix of single and multiplayer games but I've noticed that I pretty much stick to multiplayer games now. I'm tired of games having the same mob pathing, the same core story line. The only...challenge I can derive from games is when I'm playing againt people. Will that guy run left or right? Does he have a friend over the hill, ready to ambush me as soon as I attack? Until some new game concepts come out I fear I will have to depend on my fellow gamers to create some challenegs.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

I'm 57 and still playing. I have played alot of games, and to be honest I prefer a mix of types... especially lately strategy games like EU III.  My reflexes are still good, but I am tired of listening(seeing really) the crap that passes for chat in recent games.  I turned off general chat in LOTRO once because for 90 minutes it was spammed by 3 people talking about a car show in Iowa.  So to me it isn't the games online it is the people playing the games online.  I guess old age = crabbiness in my case.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Very similar situation here with me as well, except that I'm even younger, being only 21 and all. But we agree that games lack serious and tangible innovation, especially when it comes to MMOs... it's still basically the same ol' formula that Everquest established and it's pretty similar in other genres as well - developers are basically rehashing the same old formula and approaches, only wrapping it up in fancy graphics for next-gen kids to admire. Of course, not to say that my RL  doesn't get in the way, but the magic is gone for me.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Heh, I don't think age has anything to do with it, though some people's tastes change as they get older purely because they've played so much there's an inevitable build-up of experience.

I've only recently dipped my toes into MMO PvP games & found that, when done well (shame it is so rare) PvP is really engrossing.

I'm a crusty old gamer too, started out with a commodore vic 20 & had every games computer & console available in the uk up until the Gamecube & PS2, I never had much interest in console gaming after that point & PC gaming (predominatel online games) finally won out & mostly because of the social element.

I have met other veteran gamers along the way, particularly in EverQuest, in my top end hardcore raid guild we had a few 60+ year olds one of whom was a 75 year old great-grandmother (she was a Necromancer & a hell of a good player), and I've met a lot of the Pre-WoW gamers who too started out on the c64/spectrum era, always nice to chat about "oldskool" games.

I think though you just need to venture out of your "comfort zone" try different genres & appreciate that what you may not have liked 25 years ago you might like now, if you give it a chance.

• NavydtNavydt Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Mithios

AMEN to that, chrono trigger and paladins quest were the shit! i used to play those games for ages...

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

Try playing some soilitaire.  My Grandad seems to be good at that and he's 83  :P

• BioNutBioNut Member Posts: 414

You know its funny. You hear a lot of people get all dreamy eyed talking about heaven or whatever after life you believe in. They say how great it will be to see so an so and be closer to (insert diety here). Then you have the new age types that talk about humanity ascending into some form where were break the bounds of our fleshy bodies and our souls float free for eternity.

Both of these things sort of turn me off because they completely clash with two things that I love. Video games and sex.

Are my priorities screwed up or what? LOL.

Anywho, with that said I will never stop gaming. In fact, I think I want to be buried with a console or controller or something. Just on the off chance that I get to take it with me.

:D

Playing: Tera, BF3, ME3

Waiting on: Guild Wars 2

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm 37 and you are never too old for games. I find myself playing more multiplayer fps and rpg games then mmos these days because mmos are becoming too time consuming. Not to mention I am sick of monthly fees for craptastic mmos.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

lol I know how some of you feel,I had guitar hero 5 out yesterday and there is a rush song on there that I just cannot get even on easy mode I was thinking I am gettin too old and slow for this crap.I see the notes my brain says push the damn buttons but my hands are like huh wha lol

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ya know I am all a PC gamer. I do have a PS2 and PS3 but only for the few Asia RPGs. Generally, console games never were my thing. Essentially there are two different design concepts: the characters strength is based on the players skill (extreme example: Soul Calibur, Tekken) or based on the character's skill. (Things like Baldurs Gate et al.) Now I am all an old fashioned RPGer, I never was very quick and nimble, so as much as I visually love Soul Calibur, for instance, I NEVER can play it because I am just too slow, try as I might. I always loose duels against everyone there.

Now in the present in my fav genre, RPGS, I see more and more PC games with such "consolish" reaction elements like it used to be typical for console games like Mario and the like. Boss fights with timed things where you need to jump and run and duck and press exactly the right thing at the right time. Its why I HATED The Force Unleashed, even tho I would have LOVED to play it, since I am a huge SW fan. But... I just would never ever have been able to finish it. When ever there is a jump sequence, I ALWAYS fall into the abyss, and whenever there is a button sequence to press in the right moment, I ALWAYS bork it. No these elements have, alas, come more and more into fashion in RPGs. I prefer a "simple" and classic skill based boss fight like in Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale, because that is little dependent on MY skill and almost entirely on my characters skills.

Insofar there is a sort of paradigm change in my beloved RPGs, but there is also the moment I am not as nimble and fast as I used to be. Or maybe those games just get more difficult??

Lets just say I was quite happy to make the last 10% of Batman Arkham Asylum with a working Trainer. :/

(Uber cool game btw. Go buy it NOW. ^^)

But I recall days of Ultima IV or Might and Magic of Wizardry and whatnot - when they were new - and boy they were TOUGH. In some ways they were much tougher than most of today, but it was the characters skills, or usually that of the party, not your personal quickness of fingers. And I preferred it that way. (God, I feel like old granny is telling stories about the war... lol, but seriously I DO feel games used to be better. Dunno, having more "soul". I can still quote the entire end of Ultima V, after 20 years, while most things I played this year are already dim. Shit like Divinity 2... sheesh.)

Oh well... enough whining. ^^

EDIT: My first computer game I played - Sword of Fargoal, from 1983, Commodore 64 (I was 12 then heh)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

I'm 37 and you are never too old for games. I find myself playing more multiplayer fps and rpg games then mmos these days because mmos are becoming too time consuming. Not to mention I am sick of monthly fees for craptastic mmos.

What are you playing, SaintViktor?

Agreed, gaming is ageless.  Fun is fun.  I grew up on a C64 and Atari2600 (Impossible Mission ftw.)  At some point I just got more interested in girls, music, and..uh..other stuff.  But then I came back years later when Age of Empires came out and crapped myself (no, I'm not THAT old, just an expression)...moved to MMOs and been going hard since.  But, I think it's just time for another 5+ year break.  I'm sure I'll be completely blown away and excited again if I can pull that off, instead of begging for a revolution today when the industry is content to take baby steps.  

EDIT: oh, and to the point, I definitely have moved more to the strategy side over the years, and I certainly run into some players in pvp who make me think they must be a 12-yr-old who plays 12 hours a day and just drank a 3 liter of Mountain Dew to prepare to run around me in circles at hyperspeed beating me into a pulp.  I lean toward healing and range dmg so I don't have to stay right on top of someone.

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

I understand what you are saying.. but never feel too old! :)

Old folks home will never be better than when us, the commodore 64 (and older) generation gets there. We will have fun playing games as long as the eyes and nurses allows us.  

As others have pointed out.  Taste changes. I was more into action /  compeeting games before. Now I  like games with a little slower tempo, more depth and a lot more variation. And also community is more important for me than before and general chat in certain games reminds me that I have grown older.

I played Counterstrike 7 or 8 years ago but have no interest in such games anylonger.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by garbonzo

Originally posted by SaintViktor

What are you playing, SaintViktor?

Agreed, gaming is ageless.  Fun is fun.  I grew up on a C64 and Atari2600 (Impossible Mission ftw.)  At some point I just got more interested in girls, music, and..uh..other stuff.  But then I came back years later when Age of Empires came out and crapped myself (no, I'm not THAT old, just an expression)...moved to MMOs and been going hard since.  But, I think it's just time for another 5+ year break.  I'm sure I'll be completely blown away and excited again if I can pull that off, instead of begging for a revolution today when the industry is content to take baby steps.  

EDIT: oh, and to the point, I definitely have moved more to the strategy side over the years, and I certainly run into some players in pvp who make me think they must be a 12-yr-old who plays 12 hours a day and just drank a 3 liter of Mountain Dew to prepare to run around me in circles at hyperspeed beating me into a pulp.  I lean toward healing and range dmg so I don't have to stay right on top of someone.

I played Age of Empires, that was an awesome game. We grew up on both the same types of hardware then because I also had a C64 and an Atari 2600.  Right now I am waiting for the Borderlands console release tonight at Gamestop and then I'll be playing Torchlight on the pc. Also I will be playing Dragon Age and Left 4 Dead 2. All games that I don't need to justify a monthly fee for. Only mmos I am looking forward to is Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I think it has less to do with your age and more to do with you having played mostly RPGs.

I think your problem can be solved with practise.

You said you had a Playstation 3, and there is one franchise that is great for practising your reflexes and reaction time

That franchise is Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Ninja Gaiden is a hack and slash game similar to games like Devil May Cry. The reason why I suggest you practise with Ninja Gaiden is because there is no game out there with better combat or better combat controls. The controls in Ninja Gaiden are very responsive and accurate and the combat system requires pin point accuracy and timing and is very deep. Button mashing is not going to help at all.

Ninja Gaiden is not an easy game. You will probably die quite a lot, but keep trying. It's one of the old school games where you have to keep trying and get better at the game.

Currently there are two Ninja Gaiden Sigma games out there. Ninja Gaiden Sigma and  Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

Now, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is an older game and you can probably find it cheap. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 has only come out a little while ago so it's probably stll full price.