Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Like The Design Of The New Alienwares?

MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167

http://www.gameverdict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428

Think i might save up for the Micro desktop one. :) Looks amazing.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

You're willing to spend an extra $500-$700 for something that looks pretty? Maybe for a car or a house but not a computer.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

I played some at TGS. They are nice and come with a lot of room to upgrade. I will most likely be picking one up come November.

• colddogcolddog Member Posts: 173

I had hoped that it was common knowledge that Alienware computers were overpriced and that they were only meant for the most basic PC gamer user.

I suppose that I was wrong about that, but I would highly recommend piecing together your own PC for $1k less depending on the model you plan to purchase.

• smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by colddog

I had hoped that it was common knowledge that Alienware computers were overpriced and that they were only meant for the most basic PC gamer user.

I suppose that I was wrong about that, but I would highly recommend piecing together your own PC for $1k less depending on the model you plan to purchase.

Truth

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133

Agreed. Never buy a Alienware. You are paying for the name and nothing more. As the above poster said, you can build the same computer for easily $500-$1000 cheaper depending on the model you buy.

Unless you like throwing money away, dont buy an Alienware.

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

think i will buy two . personally i always use alienware to work out the maximum price i would pay for a cutting edge system last time i checked it was around £7k

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Well, if you like the design and don't have a problem with the price, then go for it. Saying "Don't buy Alienware cos they are so expensive" is like saying "Don't buy Mercedes, get a Lada. It has four wheels too."

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

I cant see paying extra cash(could be spent else where)for what to amounts to fluff

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I just purchased an M17x laptop from Alienware. Sure, I paid a little extra for the name and the novelty design and color schemes but I went into the purchase knowing that. Did I trick everything out? Of course! Did I pay for it? Of course!

I wouldn't say Alienware is for everyone or that their computers are the end-all-be-all of gaming rigs. But they put out a great product and are reliable. I'm not 18 anymore with an abundance amount of time and patience to hunt for hardware deals and assemble my own computer. I'm a single, 26 year old male who saves 33% of his income and is earning tax free and hazardous duty in the prestine desert of Bahrain. Sometimes paying for convenience is worth it.

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Mortemia

Well, if you like the design and don't have a problem with the price, then go for it. Saying "Don't buy Alienware cos they are so expensive" is like saying "Don't buy Mercedes, get a Lada. It has four wheels too."

Haha not true at all. When a Mercedes as has a different motor then a Lada or any other comparision. You get what you pay for, when buying an expensive car, except some is towards the name, but its a hell of alot better quality.

Buying an Alienware over another computer when you can build the same for easily $500-$1000 less, when using the exact same components, then again, not compareable to buying a car. Nice try though.

Originally posted by shepx22

Haha not true at all. When a Mercedes as has a different motor then a Lada or any other comparision. You get what you pay for, when buying an expensive car, except some is towards the name, but its a hell of alot better quality.

Buying an Alienware over another computer when you can build the same for easily $500-$1000 less, when using the exact same components, then again, not compareable to buying a car. Nice try though.

Not everyone has the time, patience and knowledge to assemble their own computer.

• JDexterJDexter Member UncommonPosts: 128

Although I loathe the 'pretties' on computer systems (lights would annoy the hell out of me), those fan gills on top of the machine are really an interesting idea. It's a great concept.

I'd build my own though and leave out all the lights and Plexiglas.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Nothing wrong with buying Alienware computers, especially if you can afford it.

In my experience home computer builders frequently overstate the amount they save by building it themselves, and understate the headaches they encountered trying to make all the pieces work well together.

I buy gaming laptops, so building your own really isn't an option.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Yoottos'Horg

Not everyone has the time, patience and knowledge to assemble their own computer.

it doesnt take that long ... and it isnt hard to learn. Hell i built my first computer when i was 16 and i mostly went through the manual to figure out what goes where. Just lazy people who dont mind paying a little extra.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• AntipopealanAntipopealan Member Posts: 62

Most people were getting laid at 16. You were building computers. You win!

• colddogcolddog Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Antipopealan

Some people were getting laid at 16 and not so stupid that they couldn't figure out how to put 4 pieces together.

Originally posted by tvalentine

it doesnt take that long ... and it isnt hard to learn. Hell i built my first computer when i was 16 and i mostly went through the manual to figure out what goes where. Just lazy people who dont mind paying a little extra.

I don't think you're necessarily taking everything into account. Some people are lazy and don't mind paying extra but I wouldn't group every person who purchases a pre-made PC into that category. What about that father/mother who wants to purchase their child a computer but doesn't have the knowledge to assemble one or the time to (they work 9-5 and have to cook dinner after work) research hardware and build the PC?

Originally posted by colddog

Originally posted by Antipopealan

Some people were getting laid at 16 and not so stupid that they couldn't figure out how to put 4 pieces together.

Pray tell. What 4 pieces were those? I can think of more than 4 off the top of my head and each one requires some though. Hell, just think of the power supply. How much is enough? How many components will I have to supply power to? Will it fit into my case? How will it hold up against future upgrades? And those are questions are just for the power supply! Don't even get started on the video card(s) or the motherboard.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Know what? I *can* cook a fully gourmet quality, 4 course meal for 6 in a couple of culinary styles too...does that mean I shouldn't treat the family to a dinner out at a 5-star restaurant, since I *could* make it for less?

People spend money on convenience and simplicity all the time; and the people in this thread screaming "build your own" completely discount the value of their time, knowledge and work.

I'm fully capable of assembling and setting up my own PC, but guess what? I don't want to. I spent years working in various tech support and operations jobs earlier in my life...I *loathe* fiddling with the innards of computers and have zero interest in staying current on the latest tweaks...so why shouldn't I pay a bit extra to have a reputable 3rd party do the scut work for me?

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

A clear sign you haven't obviously ever owned something like Alienware, Sager, Falcon? Ok it's cool. You know you get the components cheaper. That's about it. High end computers are so much more than just the CPU and GPU inside it.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893
    A clear sign you haven't obviously ever owned something like Alienware, Sager, Falcon? Ok it's cool. You know you get the components cheaper. That's about it. High end computers are so much more than just the CPU and GPU inside it.

Unless you are obsessed with LED lights, moving access doors and vents which move for no reason the Alienware offers nothing over a good tower case. Get a case like mine designed for SOHO servers and you get vertical cooling, hot swappable sled bays, a locking system all without plastic doohickeys to break. Just pick up the appropriate PSU and you're golden.

No LEDs, but you can always attach some Christmas lights to it for the holidays.

I don't think you're necessarily taking everything into account. Some people are lazy and don't mind paying extra but I wouldn't group every person who purchases a pre-made PC into that category. What about that father/mother who wants to purchase their child a computer but doesn't have the knowledge to assemble one or the time to (they work 9-5 and have to cook dinner after work) research hardware and build the PC?

this is a gaming forum... most people here are nerds who have atleast a very basic knowledge of computers. Even so what kind of parent would buy their kid a $3,000+ computer? A lazy person who doesn't mind paying extra for a pre-built computer

this is a gaming forum... most people here are nerds who have atleast a very basic knowledge of computers. Even so what kind of parent would buy their kid a $3,000+ computer? A lazy person who doesn't mind paying extra for a pre-built computer

I would hardly call a parent who can afford a $3,000 computer lazy. They probably do something worth a decent amount of money with their time and it isn't sitting on the couch reading PCGamer.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I obviously think yours is biased with nerd-elitism (if there is such a thing) but hey, what can ya do? <shrug>

I would hardly call a parent who can afford a $3,000 computer lazy. They probably do something worth a decent amount of money with their time and it isn't sitting on the couch reading PCGamer.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I obviously think yours is biased with nerd-elitism (if there is such a thing) but hey, what can ya do? <shrug>

yes and your opinion is so much greater. It isnt nerd elitism its a discussion on a gaming forum ... like i said is a place where people know the very basic parts of computers (like 4gb of ram is better then 2), also there is a hardware forum here .... you could literally learn how to build a PC in no time. People who usually don't have money to spend another 700$ for a fancy case and accessories. Now if we were on some forum that isnt related to gaming or tech stuff i would say .... it's for people who are lazy and dont want to spend alot of money. They could learn in an hour how to build a computer and save 700$ but they wont because they are lazy and dont want to spend time saving money. Instead they would buy the expensive computer for 700$ more then you could get it because they have extra money to spend.

Actually i guess it isnt lazy, what i would say would be more, buying pre-built computers is for people who dont know anything about computers and have extra money to spend. Since you know .... they have time to browse forums but not find out how to save 700$..... This is really a pointless argument you're using to convince yourself that its ok to spend more money then you should on a computer ... its ok though dude, you don't need to.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Ok, so you dont know how to build a computer? Get someone to build it for you and save 950$ instead of saving 1000$.