Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting?

albob35albob35 Member UncommonPosts: 19

Has anyone heard anything about what crafting professions might be available? In the trailer it looked like they were messing with a map. I don't know if the two characters were just looking at it but a map making profession would be cool.

Comments

• phill59898phill59898 Member Posts: 15

Should be crafting in this game =D

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by albob35

Has anyone heard anything about what crafting professions might be available? In the trailer it looked like they were messing with a map. I don't know if the two characters were just looking at it but a map making profession would be cool.

I have not heard actual professions,but there is going to be a few.What they have said is the crafting profession will be weaker in combat,honestly why would you bring half of a player to combat?So you will be grinding up a Crafter and a combat player.From the direction i have gathered from this game ,they are streamlining everything.I hope this does not mean a very poor crafting game,i want it to be at least as good as in FFXI.The same for fishing,i would like to see better fishing animations ,perhaps even have the feel of a fishing sim.I know we can all pray for a lot out of this game,i feel there may be a lot of us disappointed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

The most we know about crafting is that one of the four disciplines is focused entirely on it.

The four disciplines are:

Disciplines of the Hand: Crafting

Disciplines of the Land: Gathering

Disciplines of War: Physical combat

Disciplines of Magic: Magic (healing / damage)

We also know they're considering ways for gathers to get items without fighting.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by albob35

I have not heard actual professions,but there is going to be a few.What they have said is the crafting profession will be weaker in combat,honestly why would you bring half of a player to combat?

My impression was that you could easily switch your job.  Strap on a 2H sword and play a tank one day, wear healing focus and play a healer the next day, then change to hammer and anvil and play a blacksmith.  I think you can skillup any and all on the same character and it wont divide your skills, just your time. 

Originally posted by svann

My impression was that you could easily switch your job.  Strap on a 2H sword and play a tank one day, wear healing focus and play a healer the next day, then change to hammer and anvil and play a blacksmith.  I think you can skillup any and all on the same character and it wont divide your skills, just your time. 

The crafting professions will be classes just like 'Warrior' or 'Black Mage'.  We've seen pictures of a blacksmith and they'e talked about fishing.

From what they've said it sounds like they want the same crafting 'classes' as FFXI has crafting professions.

(As a side note: for some reason they're calling them classes instead of jobs this time.)

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Rogue_Leader

Originally posted by svann

The crafting professions will be classes just like 'Warrior' or 'Black Mage'.  We've seen pictures of a blacksmith and they'e talked about fishing.

From what they've said it sounds like they want the same crafting 'classes' as FFXI has crafting professions.

(As a side note: for some reason they're calling them classes instead of jobs this time.)

the reason they are calling them classes and insisting on it so much is to seperate it from FFXI and other FFs. They dont want you to think "im a BlackMage so i nuke", they dont want people to have that preset in mind when they jump in (hence why they changed all the job names and call them classes...though we all know thats what we will think and eventually find out.

also they are encourging you to play as both a combat and craft "class" on one character, kind of like FFXI how you could be any job on one character, its a big thing that you get attached to 1 character over re-rolling every time you want to switch like in most games.

and as a note to the reason they gave crafters minmal fighting skills is becacuse if your on that class and you get attacked, you will have some minmal way to defend yourself (they said you cant change classes during combat)

They came out with a list of crafting professions.  (Remember the game is in alpha so the list may change.)

Alchemist

Blacksmith

Culinarian

Tanner

Weaver

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

They came out with a list of crafting professions.  (Remember the game is in alpha so the list may change.)
    Alchemist
    Blacksmith
    Culinarian
    Tanner
    Weaver

Thanks Rogue that is sweet info, next time post where u got it from, so I don't have to go on a mission. :P

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

Originally posted by Bellarion

Alchemist
    Blacksmith
    Culinarian
    Tanner
    Weaver

Thanks Rogue that is sweet info, next time post where u got it from, so I don't have to go on a mission. :P

Official site:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

The most we know about crafting is that one of the four disciplines is focused entirely on it.

We also know they're considering ways for gathers to get items without fighting.

This sort of thing kind of reminds me of some other games i played,i believe EQ2 also had this right?basically you worship different gods for different effects,and if done like those other games,you will only have one choice.

I also noticed crafting will use tools as did VG.

I also drew a different conclusion than everyone else, on the  crystal use.FFXIV core seems to think it means auto use,i don't,i think you may have to choose how many crystals you want to use,instead of the traditional one FFXI used.As for controlling the heat,i don't think they will go as far as EQ2 crafting using icons to control various things like "heat",they tend to go more for the elemental/day/moon magical type of crafting lol.

My opinion is that crafting will in this game ,continue to be as boring as usual,too bad really i think developers do not understand there is a lot of players who like a good crafting system.I also realize there is the WOW type of gamer,who wants to work for nothing,they complain of time restraints,every excuse in the book,they just want to login and have auto rewards.So to balance crafting to cater to the whiners and to the people who really like crafting,is a monumental task.

I say make crafting huge and not worry about the people who don't like it,nobody is forcing them to craft anyhow.However this game seems to be angling towards a streamlined FFXI,so expect little.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Wizardry

This sort of thing kind of reminds me of some other games i played,i believe EQ2 also had this right?basically you worship different gods for different effects,and if done like those other games,you will only have one choice.

I also noticed crafting will use tools as did VG.

I also drew a different conclusion than everyone else, on the  crystal use.FFXIV core seems to think it means auto use,i don't,i think you may have to choose how many crystals you want to use,instead of the traditional one FFXI used.As for controlling the heat,i don't think they will go as far as EQ2 crafting using icons to control various things like "heat",they tend to go more for the elemental/day/moon magical type of crafting lol.

My opinion is that crafting will in this game ,continue to be as boring as usual,too bad really i think developers do not understand there is a lot of players who like a good crafting system.I also realize there is the WOW type of gamer,who wants to work for nothing,they complain of time restraints,every excuse in the book,they just want to login and have auto rewards.So to balance crafting to cater to the whiners and to the people who really like crafting,is a monumental task.

I say make crafting huge and not worry about the people who don't like it,nobody is forcing them to craft anyhow.However this game seems to be angling towards a streamlined FFXI,so expect little.

Its not going to be done like those "other games" You can change classes from a caster, to a warrior type to a crafter type.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

After reading the latest info that's been released this past week...  I'm being oddly reminded of my Monster Hunter days.  And my Pokemon days >.>

I mean, there's a codex for the beastiary and specific items from said beasts have been named that obviously make them ingredients for equipment and/or items.  That in itself is pure win.

Also, they've already stated you can get to "end game" by just crafting/gathering.  Not exactly sure how that's going to work, but it's intriguing nonetheless.  I've always wanted to purely play a merchant type class in a MMO =)

Originally posted by skoreanime

After reading the latest info that's been released this past week...  I'm being oddly reminded of my Monster Hunter days.  And my Pokemon days >.>
    I mean, there's a codex for the beastiary and specific items from said beasts have been named that obviously make them ingredients for equipment and/or items.  That in itself is pure win.
    Also, they've already stated you can get to "end game" by just crafting/gathering.  Not exactly sure how that's going to work, but it's intriguing nonetheless.  I've always wanted to purely play a merchant type class in a MMO =)

The recent releases are also reminiscant of the WoW armory.  Just sayin' >.>  (Note: Personally I don't think it matters much if games include an armory like system.  If FFXIV doesn't it's likely someone will just collect the data anyway.)

I don't think you'll see blacksmiths or tanners helping take down leviathan.  You will likely see them before and after the fight (probably some of the fighters changed over) keeping people's gear in shape and skinning the beast.

• xiirotxiirot Fallen Earth CorrespondentMember Posts: 328

I found the crafting in FFXI to be one of the worst out of any game I've played. I sincerely hope they do something different.

"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know." William Saroyan

Originally posted by xiirot

I found the crafting in FFXI to be one of the worst out of any game I've played. I sincerely hope they do something different.

What didn't you like about it?

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90

Really? It's actually up at the top of great Crafting in an MMO.

It was such a simple yet complex system, and it actually mattered if you were good at it and had a high skill.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by CDCosta

It was such a simple yet complex system, and it actually mattered if you were good at it and had a high skill.

yeah it was good but i dont know about it being complex..... I do hope they put a bit more intricacy into it.

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by jadan2000

yeah it was good but i dont know about it being complex..... I do hope they put a bit more intricacy into it.

Did we play the same game? o.O;;

Depending on what day it was, the weather, the direction you sat in, the moon phase, and time effected the outcome of your craft.

Originally posted by jadan2000

Did we play the same game? o.O;;

Depending on what day it was, the weather, the direction you sat in, the moon phase, and time effected the outcome of your craft.

Like many things in FFXI the crafting system was more complex than it appeared.

And it's complexity was something you had to search out.  If you just take into account the 'use a crystal and select items to combine' it is simplistic.  If you search for more information (sadly easier to find outside of the game) you learn the important of weather, day, time, direction, and/or furniture in your mog house.

No it was not very complex,it had a set of luck features that in their own offered very little influence.It had the 20 level gap for ++,it had the moon phases that offered around a 3-5% bonus or fail.It had a 3-5 level gap just to be able to craft or fail severely.There really was not much complexity to it at all.

To have complexity,you need several mechanics and FFXI crafting had next to none.Pop in your crystal ,pop the mats into the boxes and sit back and hope.

I did like the size of the database,but i feel it could have used a little more thought into the crafts.There was the main ONE item every 20 levels or so,then the rest were just there to skill up on.I don't like the cap idea.i would rather see a game structure itself well enough to allow players to use any food anytime.I mean in real life is there an age cap other than booze? lol.

• Originally posted by CDCosta

I have to agree.  FFXI crafting is better than any I've seen in other MMO's.  You need a craft system that's not easy to master (otherwise everyone and their brother is a maxed out crafter and the market is too watered down) yet worth every bit of effort you put into it.  FFXI accomplished exactly that.

• Originally posted by Wizardry

No it was not very complex,it had a set of luck features that in their own offered very little influence.It had the 20 level gap for ++,it had the moon phases that offered around a 3-5% bonus or fail.It had a 3-5 level gap just to be able to craft or fail severely.There really was not much complexity to it at all.

To have complexity,you need several mechanics and FFXI crafting had next to none.Pop in your crystal ,pop the mats into the boxes and sit back and hope.

I did like the size of the database,but i feel it could have used a little more thought into the crafts.There was the main ONE item every 20 levels or so,then the rest were just there to skill up on.I don't like the cap idea.i would rather see a game structure itself well enough to allow players to use any food anytime.I mean in real life is there an age cap other than booze? lol.

Sure FFXI crafting could be improved, but I can't think of any other MMO's that did a better job.  I hear SWG had decent crafting but I didn't get into that aspect in the short time I played it.  I liked how DAoC relied heavily on crafted items (many of which were better than any drops), but there wasn't much complexity to it.  All other MMO's I've played had terrible crafting implementations.

I think my ideal crafting system would take FFXI's as a baseline and add the ability to alter the item based on optional materials that you added.  That way crafters could experiment with different recipes to make something better than the standard recipe.  I would also add a quality rating to every material so the better the quality the better the crafted item.  Merchant bought materials would have an average quality, but materials you harvest/craft could be low or high quality.

VG has a pretty good crafting system. Im constantly working up my stats and skills to balance them, and there are choices to be made all through the crafting process whether to use skills that focus on high quality or high progress, or whether to go slow to get more skillups, whether to fix problems that occur or leave them and just plow through to the end. A good crafting system should require thought for tactics just like a good combat system.

Not an advert for vg, just stating what I think a good crafting system needs to be.