Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG today second best to SWG pre-NGE

blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

I do not know exactly how to put this.

I have been (and still are) angry and sad for what SOE  AND  LucasArts did with SWG.

BUT.. due to the server merge.  I started playing the game again. And I  found some friends in there (that had returned too), and while I  miss the freedom of a skill based system.  it is not as bad as it was just after NGE was released. Since you can respec your character, and have more than one character now  (unlike pre CU). And SOE  has added things here and there that feels right. It is a good game in its current incarnation.  I  just have to swallow a bit of that old pride.

The new Quest system (where you make your own quests) + an AMAZING (still) crafting system (and yes.. things still sell. I sold lots of stuff that I  crafted back in 2005 just in a few days).

And it still looks very good (even better today than what it did before for me since I  have a much better computer now).

SWG  deserves to live.  And it still has an AMAZING  community. People actually helps you if you ask for stuff. And the amount of "angry teenagers" are far less than most other games.

It is a bit like when they removed my favourite ICE cream (hehe).  The one I  had every Saturday :P  I  was so mad when it dissapeared but after a time I  went for the second best.  And the second best to SWG before NGE  is SWG  today.

So yeah. Untill there comes something better. Ill stick around. SWG still has a bit of that old charm.

Comments

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

That must be some sweet weed.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Very few people who frequent this particular forum will listen to a word you say.

The hate is just too STRONG here. You will never be able to convince any of these disgruntled vets that the game is anything but evil incarnate.

Originally posted by Anubisan

Very few people who frequent this particular forum will listen to a word you say.
    The hate is just too STRONG here. You will never be able to convince any of these disgruntled vets that the game is anything but evil incarnate.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Brixon

I just want to know exactly which division of SOE he works for, because weed isnt THAT strong...

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by blueshadow

SWG  deserves to live.  And it still temporarily has an AMAZING  community.

Fix'd

Eventually the beast will swallow whats left of the community, current SWG players are mostly new players (non pre-cu)  or have accepted the game for what is is (Heroic twitch based quest grinder) from my personal and social experience. If the game keeps them around now, odds are ToR will take what's left.

Originally posted by Anarchist420

I just want to know exactly which division of SOE he works for, because weed isnt THAT strong...

I think it comes wrapped on a stick and dipped in opium.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

If the guy says he simply enjoys the game, then I would tend to take him at his word and not question his motives.  Its not like he's making outrageous, false claims, unlike some others.  He acknowledges the game isn't as good as it was pre-nge and that he enjoyed that version better but is making due with whats there now.  Seems like a perfectly legit post to me, though it might have been better to have put it in the regular swg forum instead of the vet refuge forum.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Ah yes, anyone who doesn't subscribe to the "SWG is teh devil" theory is an SOE employee.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Exactly what this person said.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Logging on today would just further piss me off and fuel my hatred toward SOE. It would probably take many many hours to download the installer, then a few more hours of patching just to see that my Master Bioengineer/Master Creature Handler lost all of his skills

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

If that is the case, why would u come here and try?

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

I wouldn't say the hate is too strong, I'd say SOE's track record with this game is simply too poor.  Here's a link for the uninformed:  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies.

Pretty much all of the bugs, issues, revamps and other controversies are covered here.  Some of the bright spots in the game are also highlighted.  It seems like a pretty balanced history imo.  The game's not evil incarnate, but players have really felt shafted in serious ways on numerous occasions.  After repeatedly getting the crappy end of the stick, I think a lot of us just decided that MMOs are supposed to be entertaining, not a severe pain in the ass that also happens to cost us money.

I do not know exactly how to put this.
    I have been (and still are) angry and sad for what SOE  AND  LucasArts did with SWG.
    BUT.. due to the server merge.  I started playing the game again. And I  found some friends in there b(that had returned too) and while I  miss the freedom of a skill based system.  its not as bad as it was just after NGE was releases. Since you can respec your character and have more than one character now  (as pre CU). And SOE  has added a lot of details. It is a good game.  I  just have to swallow a bit of that old pride.
    The new Quest system (where you make your own quests) + still an AMAZING crafting system (and yes.. things still sell. I sold lots of stuff that I  crafter back in 2005 just in a few days).
    And it still looks very good (even better today than what it did before for me since I  have a much better computer now).
    SWG  deserves to live.  And it still has an AMAZING  community. People actually helps you if you ask for stuff. And the amount of "angry teenagers" are far less than most other games.
    It is a bit like when they removed my favourite ICE cream.  The one I  had every saturday :P  I  was so mad when it dissapeared but after a time I  went for the second best.  ANd the second best to SWG  NGE  is SWG  today.
    So yeah. Untill there comes something better. SWG still has a bit of that old charm.

You could only have one character per server pre-cu; not more as you suggest.  This added to the immersion.  You didn't need more than one character because you could mix and match skills, and drop/add skills at will.  You also therefore didn't need a respec.  People that wanted additional characters for various reasons had to purchase a second account, or unlock a jedi, which was a very, very long process.  You'll remember that all of this progress to unlock was also intentionally removed from the game by SOE.

You say that the game is better than it was right after the NGE release.  In order to be better, all that would have to change would be that you could actually move, chat and engage in combat.  They screwed up the code so badly that core systems were completely inoperative.  Once you could move and chat again, your heals would heal enemies and trying to interact with objects would cause you instead to go into combat with them.  Any worthwhile MMO is better than this before it hits beta testing.

You say that crafting is still an excellent selling point for the game.  Have you seen the reactions to all of the new items that are only introduced to the game via the Trading Card Game?  Did you realize that new structures, ground vehicles, space-ships etc. used to be available via crafters, and that this was what made the game enjoyable for many of them?

If you want to compare this game to my favourite ice-cream, I'd say someone left a turd in my Rocky Road.  Frankly, I don't find that very charming at all.  If I'm looking for a second best game to the original SWG, I certainly wouldn't look at what it has become.

Also, if anyone happens to take your advice and return to the game after Oct. 15, there's a good chance they're going to have to cough up an extra 50 bucks to transfer off of a server that was closed.  Welcome back...

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Have you heard about the trading card game yet? 

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

This is the OP's second post supporting SWG recently so I'm not sure what his agenda is.  I personally never had the blessing of playing pre-NGE SWG.  I was stuck in EQ then GW and DAoC but all the stories I hear make it sound like pre-NGE brought about much the same feelings as my precious EQ so I really wish I would have had a chance to try it.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by dreamer05

This is the OP's second post supporting SWG recently so I'm not sure what his agenda is.  I personally never had the blessing of playing pre-NGE SWG.  I was stuck in EQ then GW and DAoC but all the stories I hear make it sound like pre-NGE brought about much the same feelings as my precious EQ so I really wish I would have had a chance to try it.

I  will try to explain. Back in 2004 I started playing SWG. I instantly fell in love. A year later I  had 4 accounts (since you could only have one character pr. account). I  was a guild leader. We had a player city and I had a mater dancer /  master tailor and a master doctor /  master TK. Our guild was large. It had 120 active members.

Then NGE  hit.  And everything died. My guild had 5 people online. I could no longer be a tailor and imagedesigner on one of my chars and that char had a business in the game :P ( a tailor shop with imagedesigning. Having lots of ingame customers).

In anger and frustration I  tried to forget it.  And for 3 years I  played other games. I ended up in Wow. And I  am still there and love it. I love that for what it is.

Then I  went back to SWG together with some RL friends that played it back in the NGE. And what I  discover after playing all other games for 3 years is that SWG  is not what it was. Skill system is gone.. but thats about it. Everything else + more is still there and I  honestly think that the game today is one of the best but it suffers a lot from people like myself spent years just to talk shit about it.  Without even trying it.

And when I  write things here on this forum, people who never played origninal SWG  nor NGE comment my posts. This forum seems to be full of people who dont actually play the games, but just hang around enjoyting a good discussion and arguments.

My advice to everyone that played SWG back in the days or never tried it is:  TRY  IT! Play it.. and THEN  make up your mind. If you still hate it.. well you are allowed to. I can just say that having played lots of MMORPGS  the last 5 years. My Favourite list is:

1. WOW /  Pre CU SWG (one theeme part and one sandbox. both best in their classes)

2. SWG  NGE (TODAY)

3. EQ2

4. LOTRO

I  also tried AOC, COH, Eve Online but they were just not my cup of tea. I  have stayed away from Aion because I already play wow and have high level characters in EQ2.. so why play another game with almost the same system ? And that is where SWG  shines its a DIFFERENT  kind of system even today!

What I  like about SWG  is that it is unlike most other games. Complex. That means you cant expect to PVP or get to end game level in 2 or 3 days. It takes time.  But you can establish yourself in a deep and complex universe and the game has something thats lasting more than many other games.

I just hope that people that blindly hates swg and soe would put that behind them and move on, because this attitude is actually hurting the game and the people who love it and seeing what the game is I strongly feel that the game does not deserve it. Its an amazing game.  Reading this forum is sometimes like listening to an old record with a scratch.. things go again and again.

If SWG  dies. A truly unique. Deep and complex game dies and we are left with only wow clones. Wow is amasing but we dont need more games like it in just new wrappings.

Last but not least. What SWG  has given me today is a feeling that I  have not had for a long time. That I  am eager to log in and when I am at work.. I look forward to come home and log in. It almost feels a bit new again.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    If SWG  dies. A truly unique. Deep and complex game dies and we are left with only wow clones. Wow is amasing but we dont need more games like it in just new wrappings.

Do you not see that that is EXACTLY what they're trying to turn it into mate? WoW is WHY we have the game the way we do today. Smed didn't care about his customers...he ju$t $aw how many WoW had and that'$ all he'$ been after the pa$t 4 year$. If SWG could be just another WoW in a Star Wars wrapping, Smed would wet himself. The last 4-years have been spent trying to capture WoW's crowd...nothing more.

Below is how "complex" the game is now:

• TCG loot lottery provides the bulk of all new "items"...not Crafting Updates
    • IG-88, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Tusken King, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Axkva Min, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • ISD, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Exar Kun, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Hoth, where the goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • House packup, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Battle Fields, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Chronicles, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Zombies, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff

Holy freaking Chucky Cheese! If WoW went to this type of a system, they too would need to close half their servers. The "complexity" is gone IMO.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

Tux,

there are no tokens to be earned in the zombie release. All draft schematics or loot drops.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Gutboy

Tux,
    there are no tokens to be earned in the zombie release. All draft schematics or loot drops.

HOLY CRAP!!! Are you **edit**ing with me? But...but...Crafters craft schematics...

Why I'll be...huh.

• I-s-k-akaJOI-s-k-akaJO Member Posts: 5

Ya know coming back and seeing todays news was outstanding.

This should have happened years ago, when I logged in during one of the 12 free come back please trials...

The game is ruined and has been since the NGE hit. Hence the people in masses leaving. Use a tad bit of sense and ask yourself why they did? And why is there so little people that play the game?

I have talked to everyone from Smedley, down to Meet and Greets and more or less they all admit they failed. The question should not be why or how long will it last but why has it lasted this long and why make people pay for a known mistake.

In the end SWG is known as the WORST (Even from this site) MMO ever, that alone is a outtanding statement of how bad it is.)

What it set to be was a amazing, what it ended up was a shell of itself with no risk or reward....(yeah I used that Phrase) and more or less one giant bad twitch fest of fail. All that was earned or worked for in the Pre -CU was made into fodder and now the game is trying to last... It has gone through more Devs than just about any MMO out there too.

Crap some have left and got all wacky, emo and posted about it. Some even took things to even more of a extreme of argument.

So while we wait for the game to just go away we should also hope that anyone that supports the current game does not ever become some sort of a Dev of any kind for any product. If they can tolerate this or have been, then the standard is set at the lowest setting and by all means that would make for one bad Dev.

From Beta until the day I quit I have NEVER seen another game do or perform like SWG has... It has been one of the best games and worst ones ever in history now.

They need to shut down more servers... and let it end as it began... with the 3 --

I myself look forward to the release of the new SW game.. I cannot wait to see SWG close shop and go under the rug of fail.

Close 13 servers? Close them all and end the fail with some dignity.

isky

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by I-s-k-akaJO

Ya know coming back and seeing todays news was outstanding.
    This should have happened years ago, when I logged in during one of the 12 free come back please trials...
    The game is ruined and has been since the NGE hit. Hence the people in masses leaving. Use a tad bit of sense and ask yourself why they did? And why is there so little people that play the game?
    I have talked to everyone from Smedley, down to Meet and Greets and more or less they all admit they failed. The question should not be why or how long will it last but why has it lasted this long and why make people pay for a known mistake.
    In the end SWG is known as the WORST (Even from this site) MMO ever, that alone is a outtanding statement of how bad it is.)
    What it set to be was a amazing, what it ended up was a shell of itself with no risk or reward....(yeah I used that Phrase) and more or less one giant bad twitch fest of fail. All that was earned or worked for in the Pre -CU was made into fodder and now the game is trying to last... It has gone through more Devs than just about any MMO out there too.
    Crap some have left and got all wacky, emo and posted about it. Some even took things to even more of a extreme of argument.
    So while we wait for the game to just go away we should also hope that anyone that supports the current game does not ever become some sort of a Dev of any kind for any product. If they can tolerate this or have been, then the standard is set at the lowest setting and by all means that would make for one bad Dev.
    From Beta until the day I quit I have NEVER seen another game do or perform like SWG has... It has been one of the best games and worst ones ever in history now.
    They need to shut down more servers... and let it end as it began... with the 3 --

I myself look forward to the release of the new SW game.. I cannot wait to see SWG close shop and go under the rug of fail.
    Close 13 servers? Close them all and end the fail with some dignity.

isky

No.. the game is not ruined. People think that. They read others say that. Its like a religion. ANd the name of the religion is:  We hate SWG  no matter what and we will never change. And you close your eyes and ears.

The game is destroyed.. I belived that myself. Untill I returned and actually gave the game a chance and I  love it. 

And belive me, I was as hardcore PRE  SWG  as you can get. It took me more than 3 years to get over it.. and I  am glad I  waited that long.. becuase they have fixed lots of things.

Also reading SWG  forums.. proves that people are happy. Lots of returning people on their forums saying that they really like the game now. To be honest. all this SWG  bashing is just silly. Many of you people sound like old frustrated men that cant move on from the past. Why all this anger towards the game ?

This is what I did ingame today.

Went to my friends new bunker with my crafter. Crafted lots of furniture as I  am also leveling. She made me some new outfits as she is a tailor. We had lots of fun.

After that I took my Jedi and she her Bounty Hunter. We went killing creatures to harvest hide for my crafting and her crafting.

After the hunt we went to her big house and mall to see all the trophys that she had gathered and how she had decorated it. Fantastic.

I  had lots of left over furniture from crafting so I  set up a vendor in my house and made it searchable from all over universe and a few hours later I had sold most of it.

I also put up some resource gatherers outside my hoses so that I  can have lots of new resources waiting for me tomorrow.. because i  will craft more furniture for my friends.

I learned that now entertainers can buff XP gain too. We went to the cantina in theed and some nice dancers game me lots of + xp and we just chatted a bit before taking off again.

I  mean.. what other games can you do this ? just socialise and craft. You can basically play the game forever without even bother combat.. all other games are just about combat, pvp, healing, combat, pvp, healing, combat. pvp, healing and so on..

• Unrivaled1Unrivaled1 Member UncommonPosts: 34

It doesn't "deserve to live" anymore than Pre-CU does.

The fact that they had to have a massive server merge shows SWG for what it is and has been since the mass-exodus after the NGE.. A decaying corpse of a game marionetted around by profit-driven fools that smugly think that when they put out their next cookie-cutter mmo that the player base will come running back to lap it up.

SOE products aren't fit to wipe my ass with.

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by kobie173

Ah yes, anyone who doesn't subscribe to the "SWG is teh devil" theory is an SOE employee.

You dont pick up on sarcasm too well do ya chief?  If he was a fucking SOE employee he would be fixing his uber game not be in here ranting on how great it is.  I dont think SWG is the devil, it just sucks.

Responding to this comment:

"No.. the game is not ruined. People think that. They read others say that. Its like a religion. ANd the name of the religion is: We hate SWG no matter what and we will never change. And you close your eyes and ears."

-People's professions were deleted.  They played the game, and enjoyed it, because of those professions.  

-People enjoyed the skill system.  It was deleted. 

-People enjoyed finding, taming, raising and training pets.  This was deleted, and non-existant for about 2 years.  Then it was eventually replaced by an apparent WoW rip-off, beast-master system.  

-People spent months or years, literally, unlocking and completing a jedi character with mutiple skill boxes to choose from and mix and match.  SOE deleted all of this. 

-Crafters spent a lot of time and energy building up businesses that were an integral part of the ingame economy.  This was replaced or watered down first by superior loot drops and then by the Sony online store.  Crafters who lost much of their business, lost their joy for the game.  Crafting now plays a much less significant role in the game with all the loot drops and trading card game loot items.

-People enjoyed the combat system with all of the numerous professions, skills, animations and real-time strategy.  This was erased and replaced by a psuedo fps combat system.  Entire combat classes were wiped out of the game.  Those who enjoyed a range of skills and animations lost these.

-People had built up massive ingame communities, guilds, cities, and when all of the above (and much more) was taken away from them, they lost their communities, guilds, cities, and now many will lose their servers.

You say that people who claim the game was ruined for them are blind and out of touch with reality?  You compare them to delusional, religious zealots? 

I think I've listed far too much reality that has led thousands to walk away from this MMO with a very bad feeling.   This is an abbreviated list btw. 

I respectfully disagree with your premise.  I think there is ample evidence to suggest that people have a long list of very legitimate reasons for leaving and not returning to SWG.

P.S. Just because people don't agree with your point of view, doesn't make them religious zealots or grumpy old men who are stuck in the past.  (You seem to have an interesting way of trying to invalidate anyone who doesn't agree with you.)  They simply may not have liked what was done to their MMO, and they may not like what it has become.  They also may not like the way SOE seems to treat their players, and they may continue to talk about it as long as they like.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by TUX426

Do you not see that that is EXACTLY what they're trying to turn it into mate? WoW is WHY we have the game the way we do today. Smed didn't care about his customers...he ju$t $aw how many WoW had and that'$ all he'$ been after the pa$t 4 year$. If SWG could be just another WoW in a Star Wars wrapping, Smed would wet himself. The last 4-years have been spent trying to capture WoW's crowd...nothing more.

Below is how "complex" the game is now:

• TCG loot lottery provides the bulk of all new "items"...not Crafting Updates
    • IG-88, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Tusken King, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Axkva Min, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • ISD, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Exar Kun, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Hoth, where the goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • House packup, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Battle Fields, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Chronicles, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff
    • Zombies, where your goal is to collect tokens for stuff

Holy freaking Chucky Cheese! If WoW went to this type of a system, they too would need to close half their servers. The "complexity" is gone IMO.

I'm gonna have to stop reading Tux's posts I swera I'm gonna choke on my drink one of these days lol but the funny thing is this is true,  I am ashamed to admit a few months back I tried the trial because they finally stopped asking me to turn off my antivirus software and allowed me to play with it on and I was underwhelmed I knew the population would be low but I didn't realize it would be so devoid of content meaningful that is.  I am mostly a solo player(I know a bane to mmo's as some would put it) but I found there was little to nothing fun to do in Galaxies gone were the days of true competition for goods and services because the multitude of vendors had absolutely nothing of value on them(for me atleast) and there was really absolutely nothing outside of the legacy quest series to do.  I moved one of my more advanced toons from my original server and made the mistake of making him a crafter since I had switched my main to a jedi (he at my last play time was still a creature handler) and that was even worse,  levels passed the legacy quest I found my crafter was still too weak to really tackle any combat so I just sat there making fake $hit all day because you can't do anything with most of what you make.  I think that was around time I finally realized that I would soon slit my wrist if I kept playing again the game was devoid of population and content I can hardly see how anyone could play this game to level 90 to get to try all of that content that Tux just listed which as far as I know was all mostly inaccessible til level 90.

I've noticed this as a disturbing trend in mmo's but sometimes they treat the early part of their game like bootcamp some real torturious shit that you have to go through to actually get to the meat and that just doesn't work for me I don't see how anyone could make it through the months it would take to get to level 90 just to see the stuff that's listed above expecially when so many games offer those same types of bonuses throughout their game.  I played wow and I feel a twinge of anger at anyone who insults wow by saying this game is a knock off of WOW, really what the hell does this game do like wow in wow every ten levels I've got an atleast fairly designed instance to tackle and multitudes of actual meaningful (if you read the lore) quests to do otherwise SWG offered none of that just the same old garbage random mission generators that take five minutes to destroy an unguarded base and while that was fun with friends it sure the hell isn't alone.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....