Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea... Mistake?

I've been a big gamer for a long time. Back when the big thing was the Nintendo and the only 2 games out were Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros.. Umm Yeah..

Small Intro of the Game -

Ok, so before Pirates of the Burning Sea I had never invested time and money in an MMO before. I was around in the games prime. A lot of people played. There was major competition, where map wins took team work, rather than the current state of who has the bigger......... population. Ha!.. dirty minds!.

The game itself offers almost endless missions, beautiful artwork on ships and avatars, the challenge of competition and for the most part based on who has the skill to be the victor in battles. However, and this is considered a good thing by most, it caters mainly to PVPers which i think personally is excellent. The PVEr's have plenty of places to go and PVE till their hearts are content. They even go a bit further and make it possible for players to form together and capture other ports to benefit from the economy perspective. Some ports however are not able to be captured.

There is the 3 nations... France, Spain and England... There is a twist! Pirates! A 4th Nation... Yes, Pirates who have a totally different set of skills as far as ship combat goes. Also, each class of each nation has a specific ship(s) that only they can use. From a  players perspective there are plenty of ways to get thrills from the game. You can find 1v1s, 6v6s or Port Battles which is 24v24, but only happen during set times. Which is like a day or 2 after the port flip happens.

Economy -

The Economy is ran by the players. I mean there are endless amounts of things to make.

One thing is usually made by a number of items going into the items your trying to make into a finished product. You sell stuff on an Auction House. Which is where you basically put stuff up at what you want to sell it for, and people come along later and buy it from either that port, or buy it, then sail to that port and pick it up.

Ok.. So I don't want to dwell too much on the economy and the game itself. What i do want to talk about is the factual downspiral this game is going through right now.

In other games like Eve, the population actually grows every day. I love Eve myself with the exception of the time investment, never heard anyone complain about it.

Pirates, has since the beginning done nothing but lose players. In my opinion, we all feel like we're stuck in BETA and paying for a a BETA product. I mean, the entire game mechanics and the way a class is can change within a month. They also change the stats on ships like crazy. All of us who have played the game since what they called BETA and till now pretty much all feel the same way.

Here is another fact about PotBS.. A while back, they downed on what they called crossteaming. Its where someone would have 2 accounts paid for to be able to do econ a lot easier by having 2 or more characters in different nations. Some resources are extremely spread out and takes a bit of a trip.

OK.. so one of the biggest fails by the developers and GMs in this game is that they were banning people for this. They banned a lot of people that caused a ripple effect of their friends quitting to resulting in loss of money for the FLS company. The best part is that once they banned people till they had lost a massive amount of accounts, they up and one day say that cross teaming is OK. The one thing that enfuriates me about this is that you only get the benefit if you pay for 2 accounts. Which means if you can only afford one account every month, that you don't get to make a character in each nation on the same server. So what that means is that if you only have one account, if you want to make a character in a different nation, either you pay for a second account or transfer your existing character that you worked hard on to a dead server and then make a new character on that server.

Those are just a couple of things that I mentioned. Look, the problems are ongoing. The people who run this game constantly make bad choices that result in player dissatisfaction. The only reason i still play this game is because of the friends i've made while playing it, not to mention the time i've invested into it.

Anyways, thats all I have for now. I can't post this kind of stuff on their forums, but i really needed to get all this off my chest and FLS bans people from their forums for speaking their mind about whats going on negatively in the game. They don't want people to know whats going on that are just starting to play the game and paying for it that are just now starting to invest in Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Edgar Dampburn

Edgar Dampburn - Pirates of the Burning Sea

Comments

• gurthgorgurthgor Member Posts: 279

They do well banning players using 2 nations, when you dont do that game goes down fast as happened with Ryzom, a game i played for long time.

Blade with whom i have lived, blade with whom I now die. Serve right and justice one last time. Seek one last heart of evil. Still one last life of pain. Cut well old friend. Then farewell!

• shaunathanshaunathan Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by gurthgor

They do well banning players using 2 nations, when you dont do that game goes down fast as happened with Ryzom, a game i played for long time.

Naw that's not true at all, look at Eve.  They actually GIVE YOU A DISCOUNT if you buy more than one account from them. Check out this link,  you get a cheap 6 months with your second account.  Looks like Eve is doing just fine.  They have done a difficult thing and through programs on their server they can tell with very good accuracy the difference between someone owning two accounts and a gold farmer.

http://www.eveonline.com/news/newsOfEve.asp?newsID=627

Bad game design on the part of PotBS, that's why our guild left.

signed a former PotBS beta tester.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

EVE isn't a good example though. It's not RvR. Parts of it are, I suppose, if you join the militia. But being one race and another isn't really frowned upon. I'd be curious if they consider having a second account used specifically to infiltrate another corporation and destroy it a breach of some kind.

PotBS is specifically about RvR. You can't really have 100% RvR (+pirates) if there are no Realm restrictions. It becomes particularly disatrous if, after several successful attempts, all the new players are shunned for fear of being some enemy alt.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by whpsh

EVE isn't a good example though. It's not RvR. Parts of it are, I suppose, if you join the militia. But being one race and another isn't really frowned upon. I'd be curious if they consider having a second account used specifically to infiltrate another corporation and destroy it a breach of some kind.
    PotBS is specifically about RvR. You can't really have 100% RvR (+pirates) if there are no Realm restrictions. It becomes particularly disatrous if, after several successful attempts, all the new players are shunned for fear of being some enemy alt.

I think the main RvR in EVE is not so much Gallente versus Caldari or something like that. Most corporations actively recruit from all races anyway.  The RvR you get nowadays is turf wars between various alliances, Goons versus Band of Brothers.

For that reason, I think new players being shunned is much less a case in PotBS (where you can only play one faction per server per account; so to be an enemy alt, you would need two boxes) than it is in EVE.  Some of the recruiting horror stories in the latter game (skill point minimum, referrals, etc) are particularly disturbing.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

I'd be curious if they consider having a second account used specifically to infiltrate another corporation and destroy it a breach of some kind.

I'm pretty sure that would be met with a pat on the back and an "good job" for the person that pulled it off. CCP would not consider that an issue at all.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by mklinic

I'd be curious if they consider having a second account used specifically to infiltrate another corporation and destroy it a breach of some kind.

I'm pretty sure that would be met with a pat on the back and an "good job" for the person that pulled it off. CCP would not consider that an issue at all.

Yeah, CCP would actually applaud and use it as just one more instance of Why EVE Is Fun To Play.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Vetarnias

Originally posted by mklinic

Yeah, CCP would actually applaud and use it as just one more instance of Why EVE Is Fun To Play.

I thought CCP did make some changes after the Goon Swarm vs BoB coup?

But in any case, EvE is not a good example for many reasons.

The alliances in EvE are totally different as is the way they work.  As well as that the EvE Universe does not end and there are no winners (so all EvE players are losers??? :P)

In games where the RvR is critical sensible developers DO put rules and protection in place about multis.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Gyrus

I thought CCP did make some changes after the Goon Swarm vs BoB coup?

But in any case, EvE is not a good example for many reasons.

The alliances in EvE are totally different as is the way they work.  As well as that the EvE Universe does not end and there are no winners (so all EvE players are losers??? :P)
    In games where the RvR is critical sensible developers DO put rules and protection in place about multis.

If anything, the changes would be to the ability for one person to dissolve an alliance, but there have been no changes (that I am aware of) to the ability to have an alt and spy/sabotage a rival corp.

That said, my original response wasn't meant to distinguish whether EvE was a parallel to PoTBS, but moreso to answer the previous posters thoughts as to whether "multi-nation" activity was frowned upon in EvE. Both games have their unique circumstances that warrant different approaches to ensuring a semi-fair/fun gaming experience.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence