Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth playing ?

eledrianeledrian Member Posts: 10

Thd title is perhaps a bit provoking.... sry about that ;)

I've heard it's a good game, character building, questing and so on.

But... I'v also heard, that the PvP is imbalanced... not the PvP itself, but the clan vs clan. After what I've heard, most servers are dominated by one or two huge clans, and the rest can live as villains in the woods...

my question is: has there been done anything about it, or is my informations true or not true?

øhh hallo.... er der no'en ?

Comments

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

its worth playing trust me

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Well there isnt any questing in the game beyond trying to find the gear and runes (discipline and stat) that you need to round out your character.  PvP is fairly balanced (think paper rock scissors), but the ability to build your character in a multitude of ways does sometimes produce some powerful hybrids at times.  The new server that is going up will provide a fresh start for the game along with including some limiting factors on guilds and nations which will hopefully prevent the two nation server wars which has plagued the game in the past.  The villains as you speak (errant people with no guild I assume your referring to) are not very prevailant, and if you're in a decent enough guild/group they wont pose too much of a problem.  The character building is awesome tho, best in any mmorpg imo.  The Pvp can't be matched either.image

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• CarraraCarrara Member UncommonPosts: 111

Hello all,

eledrian 1/09/05 6:58:34 AM Novice Member Registered: 12/26/04 Posts: 1 Thd title is perhaps a bit provoking.... sry about that ;) I've heard it's a good game, character building, questing and so on. But... I'v also heard, that the PvP is imbalanced... not the PvP itself, but the clan vs clan. After what I've heard, most servers are dominated by one or two huge clans, and the rest can live as villains in the woods... my question is: has there been done anything about it, or is my informations true or not true? øhh hallo.... er der no'en ?

Good question actualy.
    Let me break down this first question into 3 parts.

"I've heard it's a good game"

Yes it is a great game. But don't expect any tender emotions from players. This is a game about survival of the most easy going. If you don't like War games, then you should not play this game. You have to fight for everything you want and fight to keep it. The PvE provides you the training necessary to learn about your character class abilities and gain XP. That's it. And if you don't like Point and Click controls like Dungeon Siege, don't play this game.

If you enjoy most of what I've laid out, then you might do well in the lands of Shadowbane. Try it for 14 days and learn. The learning curve is not steep. You'll play more Shadowbane in 14 days than in ANY/ALL other 14 day trials. It gets the adrenaline flowing. 5 hours can feel like 10 in the best of times and 10 hours can feel like 5 minutes other days. It's a game that I love very much.

"character building"

Yes. Character building isn't very clear at first though and there are some serious booboos to be made in building solid characters for PvP. This causes alot of "amazing templates" to be very popular. Unfortunatly some people don't like Template Games. However when you're building an army you want to have things pretty much standardized in your guild, so that your guildies follow along easily and get the most out of playing the game and not character building.

Character building in Shadowbane is a minor feature in contrast to the Guild vs Guild warfare. This is a War Game afterall. The point is to build your character as fast and as good as possible and then get to the Politics and Warfare of the game.

"questing and so on"

Nope. No quests. The only quests you'll go on are the commands given by Guild Leaders. There is no need to go far to get some action though.

Quests, in other MMOs or RPGs, just provide you with false sense of accomplishment along with some cool stuff. Well in Shadowbane all that cool stuff you get from PvE takes a beating in Battles and often breaks unless you keep up repairs. It's a War Game. Not Diablo 2 like Questing Game.

Now to the other questions. Again I will treat them in parts.

"But... I'v also heard, that the PvP is imbalanced... not the PvP itself, but the clan vs clan."

Nope. This is not true. What IS true, however, is that if you are in a guild or with a group that is disorganized and doesn't understand the Class Powers and how to use them appropriatly specificaly for PvP, then it's logical to deduce a poor outcome for your group.

That being said, it's good to understand the reasons for poor outcomes A.S.A.P. in Shadowbane. No one is going take it easy on you. It's a War Game. People flock to Shadowbane to come flex their RTS skills in a more broad stroke. They are there to WIN. It's a War Game.

"After what I've heard, most servers are dominated by one or two huge clans, and the rest can live as villains in the woods..."

This is true for the most part. But you can almost think of Shadowbane as being a game of "Robin Hood". I know it sounds stupid, but basicaly you the "Little Guy" out in the wilderness trying to demoralize the "Big Guy". This is all part of developing Alliances with other small guilds or groups to take down the bigger ones. It's VERY political. If you play Rome Total War in SP, then you can understand what Shadowbane is. It's a War Game.

And to your final question.

"my question is: has there been done anything about it, or is my informations true or not true?"

Again, for the most part it's true. It's up to the Players to do something about it. It's a Player Driven Political RTS/RPG.

You get to be a Leader or a Follower in Shadowbane. If you have the stomach for conflict and can handle yourself emotionaly well, there is nothing preventing you to become the next Great Leader in-game.

The game was designed with this purpose in mind. Let me be clear about this.

Player driven conflict. Player driven economy. Player driven politics. Player driven justice. Player driven.

It's really not that hard to understand I hope.

Carrara

• sicsycosicsyco Member Posts: 18

also they are opening a new fresh start server in the next week or so so its starting from scratch for everyone wooohhoooo

• eledrianeledrian Member Posts: 10
    Thankyou for the informative posts, all of you :) I think I'll give it a shot, after my examens :)

øhh hallo.... er der no'en ?

• Rad_RooferRad_Roofer Member Posts: 153

I played the original version of ShadowBane.  I'm interested in giving it another shot.  It has been a long time since I played.  I miss it dearly!

Reason I quit, my whole entire guild left the game...I tried to stay and play without them, but it was rather difficult seeing they were the only 50 people I knew.

So, I'm headed to get the free trial now!

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.simulatedsports.com

http://www.hattrick.org

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.simulatedsports.com

http://www.hattrick.org