Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SGW official website down?

Maybe it's just me, but I only get a "server not found" when going to stargateworlds.com... CME & Firesky sites are still accessable though....

Anyone else not getting through to SGW official site?

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Same happening for me.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Nope, can't get here either. The domain name is registered/owned by MGM, and oddly the registered IP for the site (69.16.140.23) brings you to the Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment website now, not the SGW site... derive from that what you will.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• AngeluxMediaAngeluxMedia Member Posts: 47

Interesting.....

The WHOIS shows that MGM owns the domain, and the nameserver is ns1 & ns2.taetechnologies.com... taetechnologies.com takes you to an active webpage, so it doesn't seem to be a down server issue (unless it's a down sub-server on taetech's network that happens to host SGW)....

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how long this version of "media blackout" lasts...

EDIT: wasn't trying to copy Darkholmes' post... just a slower typer :)

• bctrainersbctrainers Member UncommonPosts: 17

They are having DNS issues.

From the IRC in #stargate-worlds topic: How to access SGW forum: start - run - type in: %SystemRoot%system32driversetc - ok - open up hosts file in notepad, add in: 69.16.140.10 forums.stargateworlds.com - save the file - refresh sgw forums

The websites are still there, but name resolution is currently down.

• JStrikeJStrike Member Posts: 12

They are undergoing a DNS change.

• ariccaronariccaron Member Posts: 95

They probably didn't pay the bill.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

Tkksnow said yesterday that the server would be down for a non specific amount of time for maintenance. Also the SGW website has being under MGM for over a year now.

• FumblesFumbles Member Posts: 88

There was indeed an announcement on the forums stating there would be maintenance on the site resulting in unknown duration of downtimes.

• ATLjumppilotATLjumppilot Member Posts: 1

Thx for the info about their server problems.  Initally had that "i've got some bad news timmy, old rex had to be put down" feeling when the website wouldn't load.  I always check the site half wondering if it will still be there.

• ariccaronariccaron Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by ATLjumppilot

I always check the site half wondering if it will still be there.

Don't worry, its just 2 weeks downtime before a major upgrade.

wait, that was beta,.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

haha i thought the game was done, thanks for info guys.

• bctrainersbctrainers Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by ariccaron

Originally posted by ATLjumppilot

I always check the site half wondering if it will still be there.

Don't worry, its just 2 weeks downtime before a major upgrade.

wait, that was beta,.

You should get use to the Valve Time setup than, http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time :P

• OrisaiOrisai Member Posts: 6

LOL this is funny how they take 2 days to fix nameservers.

Mate it went down over the weekend so none would be working in CME. Also follow what bc said on the first page to access the forums for now.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

It's a pretty bad sign from a technical perspective to have your DNS servers go dark. It's why they allow you to list more then one Name Server. Also good tech companies don't just serve DNS from a single server... they do it from a cluster sitting behind a load-balancer or director. That way you can take an individual server offline to do maintenance or whatever, without interrupting your services. Even if you need to take the director/load-balancer offline... you should always be able to NAT the ip address to something that can provide those DNS services for as long as it takes to do the work.

DNS going dark is the kind of thing you expect out of something hosted out of some-ones garage...not a multi-million dollar project... it's kinda scary.

Originally posted by supremeaaron

Mate it went down over the weekend so none would be working in CME. Also follow what bc said on the first page to access the forums for now.

Even on weekends there must be at least one IT administrator available to fix such problems, either in-house or via remote console/desktop. A company losing their Web presence for two entire days is a very bad sign of how things are being handled inside.

so none subscribes to the belief of that shit happens at the worst time? Also CME is under manned with a dev team of under 30 people.

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

Well, the nameservers aren't down, they just aren't serving the addresses:

Header:

ID=40791, QR=Query, Opcode=QUERY, RCODE=NO ERROR

Authoritative Answer=No, Truncation=No

Recursion Desired=Yes, Recursion Available=Yes

QDCOUNT=1, ANCOUNT=2, NSCOUNT=0, ARCOUNT=2

Question:

Name=stargateworlds.com, QTYPE=ALL, QCLASS=1

Answer Section:

- Name=stargateworlds.com

Type=NS, Class=1, TTL=86396 (23 Hours 59 Minutes 56 Seconds), RDLENGTH=22

Name Server=ns1.taetechnologies.com

- Name=stargateworlds.com

Type=NS, Class=1, TTL=86396 (23 Hours 59 Minutes 56 Seconds), RDLENGTH=6

Name Server=ns2.taetechnologies.com

Additional Records Section:

- Name=ns1.taetechnologies.com

Type=A, Class=1, TTL=3600 (1 Hour), RDLENGTH=4

IP Address=69.16.150.163

- Name=ns2.taetechnologies.com

Type=A, Class=1, TTL=3600 (1 Hour), RDLENGTH=4

IP Address=69.16.150.164

---

This is what I get when I query ns1.taetechnologies.com.

Either a) they are trying to wait for old records to die, b) they don't know what they are doing (but the nameservers aren't part of SGW's site anyways), or c) TAE took SGW's site down on purpose. Anyone have any other ideas?

Since you can get to the forums by putting in a static hosts entry, I don't see how it could be maintenance on SGW's side.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

I don't think we should read too much into this website being down thing yet. Websites go down sometimes. It just happens. Hosting companies have problems. Sometimes its a random problem out of the blue, sometimes its something major. I had one hosting company that just dissapeared on me one day. Just shut down with no warning or explanation. The next hosting company I had after them was located in the area struck by hurricane Katrina and I couln't get their tech support to reply for three months. So yeah, sometimes things do just happen at the worst possible time and there isn't anything to be done about it.

And if every time one of my websites went down for some reason or other there was a group of people screaming "OMG! RALTAR IS SOOOOO STUPID! LETS KILL HIM!" then I would probably have given up on the internet a long time ago.

So lets just chill for a bit and see where this goes. If the site isn't back up in a couple more days then we may want to send someone to check out the CME offices to see if all the furniture has dissapeared or if any of the employees are in the process of fleeing the country. And THATS when we can call them stupid.

• OdesuOdesu Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by supremeaaron

so none subscribes to the belief of that shit happens at the worst time? Also CME is under manned with a dev team of under 30 people.

Which is more likely (not to mention damning), shit happening at the worst time or this demonstrating their lack of resources to complete even the most mundane maintenance in an industry-standard timely manner?  If you can excuse this, then what does this foretell about the sustainability of the game itself?  This isn't a simple iPhone app; that "undermanned" dev team is supposed to be working on an MMORPG to rival TOR and STO.

• Originally posted by supremeaaron

Tkksnow said yesterday that the server would be down for a non specific amount of time for maintenance. Also the SGW website has being under MGM for over a year now.

Convenient excuse.

My God.  I knew it was amateur hour over there, but this truly is new levels of incompetence.

DNS issues don't take 3 days to fix.

What can you expect from a company that couldn't run their main game beta test (which was more an Alpha than Closed Beta) for more than 12 hours per week?

• Originally posted by Orisai

What can you expect from a company that couldn't run their main game beta test (which was more an Alpha than Closed Beta) for more than 12 hours per week?

That sort of thing is pretty typical for early alpha's / beta's.  Much longer than a few hours, they're getting more data than they can possibly make sense of, and any more than that tends to muddy up the waters even more.   All they're really wanting to do is help establish that yes, people can log in, that they can move around, and they can zone in/out.  They aren't even looking at playtesting or bug testing beyond the UI working and the client/server hook up.

THAT said, that F/F alpha had something like 19,000 people in it, which is laughable.

• TylantiaTylantia Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Orisai

You ofc know all the reasons for that amount of slotted time?

# SW:TOR : Tylantia, Sivis, Aeonis, Aehris, Xaehrin, Vhyce, Tehren, Suvis
    # Ryzom : Kasumi / Secor / Anuihlm
    # City of Heroes/Villains : @Tylantia
    # Age of Empires Online : Tylantia (Abydos server)
    # Stargate Worlds : Kadael
    # WoW : Tylantia, Siinaar, Sivis, Moofangles, Aehr, Cehr, Chaizen, Ocep, Tzias

• jonassevanjonassevan Member UncommonPosts: 24

the address works fine, its the stargate been stole again .

there in negotiations to get the 2nd stargate off the Russia's

or maybe were being invaded by the goa'uld ,repelicators , ori ,wraith and are using Anubis's power ring to keep the stargate open longer than 38 mins .