Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Risen

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

So I recently purchased this new RPG by Piranha Bytes, the makers of the Gothic series!  Was released Oct 2nd!  {Well Gothic 3 was rather horrible at first but the original 1 & 2 were excellent}  If you're a fan of the Gothic series then you'll love this one as it plays almost identical, yet slightly different. 

First off, I love that it has mouse support finally, unlike the Gothic series; well I don't recall if Gothic 3 used a mouse but the first 2 did not.  Second, the style of the adventure is really raw where you start with nothing, though u find a stick a few gold coins nearby and you have to make your way through this new world not knowing what is around the next bend, or if there is a cliff to fall off on the other side of that brush.  It really feels like you're deep in the woods when you enter the raw parts and the viewing distance is that of reality...its friggen hard to tell sometimes whats coming up next, but those that do risk exploring can find hidden goodies and extra items

The combat is rough as ever, and I really enjoy the real-time blocking system, you have to block attacks with the right mouse button, and its not easy as the enemies don't just stand there, they block too, back off and even strafe around you as well, so fights aren't about just jumping in there and swinging mad hoping to win.  You will die trying to play like that!  Another thing I like is some NPCs may have a weapon or armor you like and well if you don't want to wait to find or purchase them later on, you can attack and attempt to kill anyone, then take all their stuff, and if you're really brutal, perform a finishing move and stab them in the back while their down so they never reappear in the game again...kill them off permanently.  One major difference I noticed from Gothic 3 to this one is the combat doesn't let you keep swinging constantly which pretty much made you invulnerable to other enemies attacks.

Anyway, I always enjoyed these games because they have a very huge world to explore and it was also very dangerous and deadly, and the creepy feeling you get when exploring those dark caves with just a bit of torch light to see maybe 5ft around you are enticing!  When you die, you're dead so you'd had best remembered to save or you lose all the progress you made.  Thankfully there is an auto-save that pops up at various locations for those stubborn or forget to hit save frequently.

Well I'm greatly enjoying this, only recently got started; saved the girl and almost to the first town now.  I highly recommend picking this up if you're a fan of the Gothic series, and those wary of the BS that was Gothic 3 at launch, thus far Risen is working flawlessly and I havn't encountered any bugs or errors

Well, heading back to the game now!  Enjoy it if you decided to purchase it also!

A few links too videos and a demo!

Risen Demo @Gamershell

Videos of Gameplay and CG @GameTrailers

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

I'm gonna kill those boars there anWHAT THE HELL!

But seriously, fun game =3

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

+ Great graficks, nice scenario,good thrilling atmosphere especially when near ruins at night.

-  too much loading and compared to Gothic 3 with comunity patch 1.73 combat sadly feels clunky,less tactical and easier. Enemies are extremelly strong making too unbalanced the game which makes the game non-free and linear when we are talking about options now where we go. Block also isnt timed,just keeping held down right mouse gives good protection again Gothic 3 is better on this too.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

After considerable time spent playing, I've found the combat to be much more involving than at first. The encounters with some monsters can be incredibly tough, while others are rather easy to defeat. For example there are these large moths with various names depicting their difficulty and for the most part they only have a single forward attack and then a 2-3sec CD before they attack again, so they're easy to take down. Now wolves and humanoids on the other hand, yeah so hard most the time, they don't just float there idly waiting for u to strike. The wolves in particular have a really fast 3-strike forward lunge, sometimes will only do 2 or even 1 to catch u off guard and frequently and quickly jump from side to side and then strike where you're unprotected and do incredible damage.

Then there is the whole trying to take on a pack of wolves or any enemy in this case, yeah the AI is just incredibly deep and super smart, they are always actively attempting to flank you and circle around, and attacks can and will come from all sides but u can only block one, you must be holding block and facing said strike, other will hit even with block held....I really like that cause its realistic.

Another thing I noticed when taking on groups of like monsters is after you damage one a good amount it won't stay there to get killed, it will back off and fade to the rear of the group allowing another members of the group to move forward and protect it, and many times that weaker one will try to circle around further outside and try to do a flank attack while you're taking on its brethren with more HP. I've found that one has to constantly be on the move either backing up to keep their flanking attempts down, or try to funnel them into smaller areas to prevent them from the constant side stepping as well as single attacks instead of multiple from several directions!

You know I'd love to see an MMO with this style of combat, its just incredibly fun and and its exciting cause no 2 encounters feel the same cause of this insanely smart AI and with the terrain things can be an advantage or the death of you rather quickly.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by tazarconan

-  too much loading 
    Enemies are extremelly strong making too unbalanced the game which makes the game non-free and linear when we are talking about options now where we go.
    Block also isnt timed,just keeping held down right mouse gives good protection

What do you mean too much loading...it loads once when you start the game and never again...its all seamless! 

So you'd rather you can kill everything in the game from the beginning with no challenge and not have to earn the right to go someplace and explore it...that's dumb.  Having tough monsters to build your character up too overcome is a lot of what an RPG is about.

Yeah, sure you can just hold block down but that doesn't protect you from enemies that can break your block and quickly get in a  second strike nor does it stop enemies that are trying to flank you and attacking from the sides or different angles...u can only block in the direction your char is facing!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That game looks nice,but inside the game i have no idea.It also looks like a nice engine with added features,but it also looks like they compressed the textures too much,losing out on detail.It kind of defeats the purpose of a nice lush environment if you lose out on detail.Speedtree is a name i have heard a lot of lately,I'm not a fan of generated lighting/worlds,environments.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

"Enemies are extremelly strong making too unbalanced the game which makes the game non-free and linear when we are talking about options now where we go. "

lolwhat. that is only the case in the first hour of play.

besides since you are probably talking about wolves and other fast dangerous beasts i have to disappoint you - if you cant beat them or find a way around them (kill later) ...  you wont go very far in this game.

when you get hang of the game - you rule.

lets say... if you are fireballing mage you will probably have easier time against a lot of mobs in the game, while melee or even archer/crossbowman experience will be totally different.

harder in some aspects, easier in others.

now... you got full array of stuff. picklocks, scrolls, different weapons, spells, potions etc...

and you see a goal of some kind. so all you have to do is use your mind and beat it somehow.

most of piranha bytes games (this one is made by the same guys so...) have that kind of freedom.

didnt have so much fun since gothic 2.