Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to SWG? Skip over 1/2 the grind - insta CL50!!!

TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

In an effort to attract new players to this massively growing and innovative game, SoE's newest idea is to allow players to skip the boring stuff, skip "Legacy" quests, skip the "grind" and start the game at CL50!

Link

Rather than addressing the mountains of posts and suggestions to bring back reasons for grouping, they have opted to just bump the new zombie slayers to CL50.

To quote Draakull:

Most of what we see is that level 90 players did not like that grouping with new players nerfed XP for the new person. This just remedies this situation. It does not give them the armor, weapons, etc just expertise points to that level and makes it faster for them to get into higher level content. They can still go back and do legacy quests up to 50 just like the rest of us.

It's a buddy program so that assumes that they will be joining with a friend who already plays and would be higher level.

Um...maybe I'm wrong...but...isn't joining other players kinda the entire idea behind the MMO model to begin with?!

This move reeks of desperation IMO. Unreal lol. No need to face the reality of the situation - no "reason" to grind post 90 - they simply bump people to CL50 and try to milk a few months outta them. If 50 doesn't work, I'm sure they'll add in some boost to 90 via the TCG.

But...if you're looking to try SWG, here's your best chance!!! 

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

This promotion smacks of utter desperation, however, keep in mind that the vast majority of new buddy accounts activated will be current players willing to spend the $60 for the new shinies and credit farmers. I seriously doubt that this initative will bring in any significant number of actual new players.

The current players who find themselves with four activated accounts also have access to many more lots!  If those players on Starsider think their server landscape was getting a Coruscant look to it, they haven't seen anything yet!

Any new players will skip over the legacy portion of SWG and land in the lvl 50 doldrums. Brilliant. Level 50 and fully leveled players will still not want to group with them.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Hmmm...I thought I had posted this in General Discussion?!?!?!

According to the guidelines for that forum...

General Discussion

A place to talk about the game as it is today, for gamers who currently play or are interested in trying it out.

...I thought it was in the correct location.

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

this is a SWG topic so it belongs here

also, other companies with p2p mmos have been thinking about this, im not sure if anyone actually uses this method right now, but imho its a good option for vets who know the ins and outs and are tired of the grind towards endgame. for new players i wouldnt recommend SOE to use this.

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

Originally posted by 3on1

this is a SWG topic so it belongs here
    also, other companies with p2p mmos have been thinking about this, im not sure if anyone actually uses this method right now, but imho its a good option for vets who know the ins and outs and are tired of the grind towards endgame. for new players i wouldnt recommend SOE to use this.

I believe AoC allows you another CL50 toon once you reach CL50. That way, you need to grind, but not duplicate it.

And this doesn't seem like a move to help the new players as much as it's a cop-out of fixing the REAL issues with leveling:

• Legacy sucks
    • Naboo portion is so poorly done it would make even Badger quit ( )
    • The Glancing blow nerf needs to go
    • No reason for any CL90 to do any "grinding"
    • XP needs to bank
    • Banked XP needs to be spendable
    • Grinding is a solo "thing"

And more I'm not listing...

Anyway...I feel it's just a very VERY cheap way to skip the mountain of complaints people have had over the years (post NGE). It's not a long term solution, it's a get rich scheme like the TCG loot.

• bobajangobobajango Member Posts: 43

Brick by brick it's falling apart in SWG,here,we wont/cant fix how bad the game's story line is....just skip it! It really is bittersweet.My sub is up in 2 days,i already gave away my mando armor,my BH armor,all my creds.On that last day i'll pack up my houses and delete my toons.

BTW Tux,as a 5 year reb(not counting that 6 month stint as an imp..i was drunk!),thanx for your work dood.Down with the SOEmpire!

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

skip over 1/2 the new and exciting (tm) content!

i think they finally realised the legacy quest is downright boring.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

To be fair, other games have done similiar, though those efforts were always targeted at existing or former players looking to level a new toon.  Encouraging new players to skip most of your "hard work" seems very self-defeating.  Not to mention sad.

Lots of discussion here  forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m   Any positive responses seem marginal at best and really read more resigned than anything :  "This program might not be a flawless offer but it's something which is always better than nothing. Personally, any attempt to bring new players to the game has my support."

Originally posted by bobajango

BTW Tux,as a 5 year reb(not counting that 6 month stint as an imp..i was drunk!),thanx for your work dood.Down with the SOEmpire!

Gracias! :)

It was too easy though mate. The game sold itself, the players KNEW what they wanted...all I tried to do was get the Devs to listen.

SoE is filled with fools to let the customers they have/had slip away. A very passionate bunch, but that passion could have been so damn easy to capitalize on with just a few bones here and there. Sadly, Bioware gets that opportunity next...with a timeline many SW fans dislike (or maybe just me ;) ) and with things that are only "kinda like" what people want...they "kinda" have Mando, they "kinda" have Stormtroopers, they "kinda" have Rebs and Imps, they "kinda" have R2-D2 and C3PO droids. SoE had the golden egg...they dropped it, stepped on it, kicked it, scrambled it, let it rot and never delivered. Sad really.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

The game just isn't fun anymore. I've come back and given it a chance and there are some fun things like the puzzles in one of the meatlump quests but after you've done them a few times it becomes repetitive. The legacy quests are repetitive aswel everything in the game feels pregenerated and copied and pasted over and over. Nothing feels unique so like in WoW you feel like you're exploring the lore and it's fun to see new areas but in SWG quests and dungeons you'll see the same caves and bunkers over and over so you don't get that feeling. Even when you do some of the instances none of them stand out they're mostly a bland, boring room with a box a computer term and some elite mobs standing in there.

Then you have the piss poor combat which for my Light spec'd Jedi I have one attack and one AOE and a heal........ the combat is so fucking boringgggggggggggg. The expertise gives you a choice really of two cookiee cutter builds and if you don't choose one then you are gimped and can't do alot of PVE. Atleast with the old profession style you'd only be gimped in PVP and you could pick anything to do PVE with. All I'm doing now is holding down the mouse and hitting one special and a heal once in awhie.

Combat speed and run speed ruin all the animations and most of the time combat wont animate so you wonder if youv'e done anything. So you turn animation priority off and it looks stupid at ultra speed cause the combat speed is too fast.

They hand out loot from any NPC so you end up with tons of the crap and no wonder why the games laffin so much. The economy is a mess and everyone has so much stuff. You can instant fast travel everywhere so they killed most of the social features already but thats thr icing on the cake so now the world feels small.

PVP is all instanced now with BGs so it has no world meaning and the combat is shit so it isn't even fun.

No decay or anything so Crafters wont get repeatable business for alot of items.

Anything thats kool or actually has good art is done in TCG.

The UI is a complete mess it's so frigging ugly.

The game is just crap.

However I brought up all these points on the forums and all the fanbois called me a troll and the post got deleted and I was banned. Even though I didn't insult anyone and I didn't swear I just gave constructive criticism on how to fix these things.

So you know what fuck em.

• KramericaKramerica Member Posts: 47

I'm not sure I understand SOE's intentions here. Are they saying that a large portion of their product is sub-par which results in people cancelling?  Or are they desperate for players and willing to concess advancement in exchange for hoping people stay?

Considering how easy the game is in all its facets I would lean towards the desperate part.  SWG in it's current form is like tic-tac-toe; children will keep playing until they realize that it is utterly pointless.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Kramerica

I'm not sure I understand SOE's intentions here. Are they saying that a large portion of their product is sub-par which results in people cancelling?  Or are they desperate for players and willing to concess advancement in exchange for hoping people stay?
    Considering how easy the game is in all its facets I would lean towards the desperate part.  SWG in it's current form is like tic-tac-toe; children will keep playing until they realize that it is utterly pointless.

It just seems like a promotion aimed at gamers looking for instant gratification from an MMORPG.  Those potentially put off by a level grind can get it significantly shortened with this promotion.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Originally posted by Kramerica

It just seems like a promotion aimed at gamers looking for instant gratification from an MMORPG.  Those potentially put off by a level grind can get it significantly shortened with this promotion.

I got a better solution.

Get rid of the levels so you don't have to wait 90 levels before you can play with your friends and do end content. Then add a skill box profession system into the game so you can play the game how you want, when you want.

Oh we already had that solution before they wanted to ruin the game. I remember new players coming into the game and inviting them into the guild, giving them everything they need to get started and they were doing content with the guild by the end of the day... though at that time the very little content there was.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Varny

I remember new players coming into the game and inviting them into the guild, giving them everything they need to get started and they were doing content with the guild by the end of the day... though at that time the very little content there was.

Yes, I agree that was an excellent aspect of the old game.  I'm always pushing for systems that would lead to a return to this kind of gameplay where new players can adventure with veterans and it would be a rewarding experience for everyone.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

/agree  ^ ^ w/ the skill points.  That system rocked

I too wish that SOE would just ditch the CL altogether.  insta Jedi sent me looking for a new game and I doubt that handing out more gimme's will bring many of the vets back.  Maybe if they give insta- CL80 and 250million credits they'll find that elusive new playerbase....

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Originally posted by Varny

I remember new players coming into the game and inviting them into the guild, giving them everything they need to get started and they were doing content with the guild by the end of the day... though at that time the very little content there was.

Yes, I agree that was an excellent aspect of the old game.  I'm always pushing for systems that would lead to a return to this kind of gameplay where new players can adventure with veterans and it would be a rewarding experience for everyone.

Personally, I was naively hoping for a level-sync/mentor type of system akin to what exists in FFXI to remedy this problem (i.e. the inability to group with low-level players). In FFXI, I believe the synchronization system kicks in at level ten, at which point one can mentor down to the level of the lower level player and still receive the same amount of experience (if the higher level player isn't capped) the player would otherwise receive if he or she wasn't a mentor.

I'm not too pleased with the "insta-50" program since any TRULY new player won't have knowledge of the basic functions--or have the skills necessary--to properly play his or her character, as another poster said. Some people will argue that SWG in its current iteration is an insanely easy game to grasp as it is; however, as a veteran player, I know that any level 50 character with little to no badges will be ostracized by some members of the community, and this will only serve to alienate newer players even more so, which seems counterproductive. That is, unless the newer player has friends and/or a guild already lined up from the start. Still, I see this move as being a boon to veteran players rather than new(er) players.

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

I been playing since pre-cu and played several MMO's. Im too am tired of the games content.... however, when it comes to SWG, all i care about is the moment both factions engange in a huge 'coordinated' pvp battle (no Baveheart pvp). The minute a huge engagment begins and ends and its in that period of time (doesnt matter if it was pre-cu, pre-nge, or nge) that i believe SWG holds the best kept secret. This style pvp is simply off the hook guys and i havent found a game that can prove me otherwise. The problem is that the rest of the game is clouded with boredom (in one way or another). I tell my friends about this game but from the time they enter the world, they never reach the core.

SWG pvp'ers are exited about Old Republic. Not because of stylized graphics :| I think their hyped because its new and also use SWG pvp as a referrence for how great SWtOR could be and hope BioWare sticks to that model in some way and rid them selves from this game.

With the status of the game, i believe its a good idea to give a new account CL 50, but with lack of content for a starter player (at lvl 50), it would also make sense to give them 10 million credits. For those that still play the game know that 10 mill is a b#ch to get, yet it doesn't do much for you except give you the basics.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Recon48

/agree  ^ ^ w/ the skill points.  That system rocked
    I too wish that SOE would just ditch the CL altogether.  insta Jedi sent me looking for a new game and I doubt that handing out more gimme's will bring many of the vets back.  Maybe if they give insta- CL80 and 250million credits they'll find that elusive new playerbase....

I think even the Devs or the Devs we had would agree that the old system rocked, but it was conflicting with the fast paced combat that  Freeman designed to give people instant gratification.   

In anycase I saw this long ago posted on the forums, but back then the Devs thought it would be a indication to how bad the changes were.    Its been one long rocky road for anyone that Devs this game, I really think they have given in to the cry babeys too much and that its gone from sad to plain embarrasing.   

The Devs working on SWG have absolutly no vision, they are complete hacks, this and alot of things have been stolen from players.   I would say that ever since the NGE 99% is from other games or stolen ideas from players.     

• ElwalpoElwalpo Member Posts: 23

LOL omfg skip to CL 50 whats next why dont they let you skip all the way to 90 LOL sad.

played: EQOA,EQ1, EQ2, SWG, DAOC, FFXI, GW, WoW, Eve, Vanguard, COH/COV, Pirates of Burning Sea, Pirates of the Carribean, Freerealms, AOC, Warhammer, UO, Secondlife (LMFAO), The Matrix Online.
    Waiting for: SWTOR, STO

• SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Elwalpo

LOL omfg skip to CL 50 whats next why dont they let you skip all the way to 90 LOL sad.

I can't tell if you're being a troll or if your English is just that appalling naturally.

--

I think this change is welcome, though I would have made it skip to 80 instead of 50. SWG is a sandbox game, and most of the content is player-devised. This is particularly the case given the new quest-building system in update 13.

A lot of people coming in to the game expect something like World of Warcraft, which bases its fun on a lot of centrally-designed content. When they hit SWG's largely decentralized content, they're confused, lost, and eventually, bored. They leave for more familiar pastures.

Similarly, SWTOR will not attract the same crowd of gamers as SWG for much the same reason; SWTOR is centrally-directed content, and SWG is decentralized content.

Obviously, this is not to say that either approach is bad, just that the two groups are incompatible.

Myself, I like the sandbox style that games like SWG and Ryzom offer.

• ElwalpoElwalpo Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Riceman

I can't tell if you're being a troll or if your English is just that appalling naturally.

--

I think this change is welcome, though I would have made it skip to 80 instead of 50. SWG is a sandbox game, and most of the content is player-devised. This is particularly the case given the new quest-building system in update 13.

A lot of people coming in to the game expect something like World of Warcraft, which bases its fun on a lot of centrally-designed content. When they hit SWG's largely decentralized content, they're confused, lost, and eventually, bored. They leave for more familiar pastures.

Similarly, SWTOR will not attract the same crowd of gamers as SWG for much the same reason; SWTOR is centrally-directed content, and SWG is decentralized content.

Obviously, this is not to say that either approach is bad, just that the two groups are incompatible.

first off im not trolling, second im sorry if i didnt puncuate the sentence correctly, who the hell cares, its just funny how SOE has came to this to desperately try to get people to play now, oh im sorry not play the game now but have it played for them instead of playing the game for themselves.

played: EQOA,EQ1, EQ2, SWG, DAOC, FFXI, GW, WoW, Eve, Vanguard, COH/COV, Pirates of Burning Sea, Pirates of the Carribean, Freerealms, AOC, Warhammer, UO, Secondlife (LMFAO), The Matrix Online.
    Waiting for: SWTOR, STO

• mosespeachmosespeach Member UncommonPosts: 2

Originally posted by Riceman

--

first off im not trolling, second im sorry if i didnt puncuate the sentence correctly, who the hell cares, its just funny how SOE has came to this to desperately try to get people to play now, oh im sorry not play the game now but have it played for them instead of playing the game for themselves.

Wow.  That is a lot of commas, Brainiac. 

• JatwhalJatwhal Member Posts: 162

Isn't it just funny how experiences differ?

Ultima Online was selling advanced characters years, years ago.  They just celebrated 13 years!!!!!!!!

Boring low level content?

ok now for a power gamer all low levels in all games are boring.  You seek one thing and one thing only, max level.

The problem isn't SOE it's an elder game and that's where the root of it lies.

Legacy is awesome for a new player and a Star Wars fan.

Oh come on people have you forgotten?  Are you all just mad power gamers.

WTF??

Do you not remember logging in your first time.

FFFFFFFFFFWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP!!!

OMG!!!  I'm standing on Tatooine, Naboo, holy sheeit. 

What's that noise? What the ?? My screens all messed up, there's a freaking sand storm!!!

OMG, I feel like C3PO and R2D2 I'm really thirsty walking to Jabba's!!! 

God I hate questing but I'm going to get into Jabba's room.  I wonder if I can attack him? lol...

Every elder game is tough to come in as a new player when 90% of the players are max level.

Just because you don't want to or you think there's no low level game or content doesn't mean there isn't.

Ever notice that when elder games introduce 10 new levels people disappear, max out, then "return" to playing the game...

There's some people who just keep playing the game and let the levels come naturally...

It's just different play styles, not game inadequacies...

I would like to state that in no way shape or form that anything I receive from SOE influences my opinion about SWG or their company. I’m pretty much a typical average player enjoying the game.