Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to have a discussion about WoW hating...and the reasons behind it.

Comments

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

People hate WOW for same reason they hate Titanic and Michael Bay. Why? because its cool to do so. People think they are being different but they don't realize they are just part of one big drone community.

Remember.. all cool kids hate WOW and wrestle tigers.

And no i never played WOW and no i do not HATE on a video game. Bite me!

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Getalife

People hate WOW for same reason they hate Titanic and Michael Bay. Why? because its cool to do so. People think they are being different but they don't realize they are just part of one big drone community.

You forgot Metallica too? Remember when it was cool to hate on all things Metallica eventhough they are the greates metal band ever.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Fortenc

I 'hate' it because there's no 'content' at endgame if you're not in a raid group at all times.  Anything you do will not improve your character unless you count farming gold as improving your character.  Crafting will cap quickly and that's the only other real thing you can do except for sit in Dalaran.
    Most of all though I'm just tired of WoW.  I'm tired of sitting in X city looking for X raid every time a week I can and otherwise maybe doing a bit of lack-luster PvP.  I'm tired of the graphics, the quests, the mechanics and the small step progression.
    Good game, probably still the best generic MMO if someone has never played an MMO before, tired and old for many of the veterans and nothing to do except sit in Dalaran.  I suck at making my own fun, I want things to do that make some small degree of improvement to my character.

Well like I said, you play a game for too long and eventually it'll get tiresome....this is what's to be expected...=/

Originally posted by Zarynterk

You forgot Metallica too? Remember when it was cool to hate on all things Metallica eventhough they are the greates metal band ever.

Well if someone HATES a video game, he or she might have nothing real to care about in life. Also adding Ben Affleck to the 'cool kid's hate list'.

Originally posted by LuckyR

Why WOW is hated. Hell that's easy! They took MMOs and down graded them to make it sooooo easy that my granny could be ubber. MMOs before WOW were challenging and fun to play, now you can jump into most MMOs and solo your way to max level.
    WOW is resposible for this, UO, EQ, and games like that were hard to play, required you to group and DID NOT hand feed you.
    Complain all you want, but if you were not around this type of game in the late 90s to early 2000 then you really do not know what an MMO should be. OH YEAH, and Blizzard advertised the hell out of WOW which is something no other MMO ever had to do.
    Thanks.

WoW is just one game, and considering it's been played for so long shows a sign that it was somewhat worth the effort...but like I said every game gets tiresome eventually.

WoW is just one game, and I blame other gaming developers for not having the talent to try something else, new and different...or at least something good enough.

Anyways I find all MMOs easy to play....they just also happen to be a grind which a lot of people mistake as a challenge...=/

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Try eating nothing but your favorite food everyday for a month. After that month see if its still your favorite food.

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Try eating nothing but your favorite food everyday for a month. After that month see if its still your favorite food.

I have actually done that and TUNA is still my favorite food.

Originally posted by Zorndorf

Why WOW is hated. Hell that's easy! They took MMOs and down graded them to make it sooooo easy that my granny could be ubber. MMOs before WOW were challenging and fun to play, now you can jump into most MMOs and solo your way to max level.
    WOW is resposible for this, UO, EQ, and games like that were hard to play, required you to group and DID NOT hand feed you.
    Complain all you want, but if you were not around this type of game in the late 90s to early 2000 then you really do not know what an MMO should be. OH YEAH, and Blizzard advertised the hell out of WOW which is something no other MMO ever had to do.
    Thanks.

Oh yeah Blizzard already made all those other blockbusters in the PC gaming field, while those "older " mmo makers couldn't pull out a decent PC game from the beginning (I played Ultima OFF line in the 80's, craptastic stuff).

See, that wasn't too difficult :)))))

Agreed.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/254301/The-problem-I-see-with-developers-that-make-nothing-but-MMOs.html

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by madeux

I'm just wondering why the thousands of previous threads with the same topic weren't good enough.
    I want to have a discussion about why we need to keep going over this again and again and again.
    Have people just given up on reading posts that are already out there?

Because for every 10 "I hate WoW!" threads there is only one I love WoW thread.  All the WoW hating on MMORPG.com gets old after a while.  So just maybe if people would stop posting I hate Wow threads, people wouldn't feel the need for this kind.  A person would have better odds on winning the lottery every day than seeing a day go by without a "I hate WoW!" post here on mmorpg.com.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• LilanLilan Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Harabeck

Originally posted by Lilan

Originally posted by Jackio81

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by luciusETRUR

To say WoW is the best the genre can do is a best non-sensicle. Sure, it has the most numbers, but that doesn't mean it's the "best". These are console systems where there are only two or three out at any given time. MMOs have direction and there are plenty of variety as long a you know where to look.

Saying it's the best MMO out right now is what I'd consider it....but even you or anyone else has to agree it's very popular for a reason and it's ranking is up there.

Look at it this way, even the video game critic Nazi Yahtzee says WoW is as good as it gets...and that guy hates MMOs and 80% of all games...lol

Heh, Yahtzee hates EVE, which utterly invalidates his opinion about any other game including WOW in my eyes.  In fact, if he likes it, game is deficient in many ways.  (which it is).

That which makes it popular does not make it good, at least to a player with my tastes. 

I'll agree, most new games have been poor, mostly because they try to be WOW, and you just can't do that and create a successful game.

Developers need to try to do something different (and perhaps some are about do do so), in order to really carve a new niche in the market.  (and get say, 1M steady subs))

I agree with Yahtzee...EvE is boring...=/

EvE is a niche game and nothing else.

half a million peopel disagree with you, so back and toy with your korean grind fest

It's 300k, including botters and people who own multiple accounts after 7 years of growth.

350k curent subs, zomg a game that tells there number of subs not total number of acounts like certain other companies

Originally posted by grandpagamer

I have actually done that and TUNA is still my favorite food.

Then you are one than can continue to enjoy the same thing year after year and will never understand how many get bored with it.  So you can play WOW, year after year and enjoy it.  Many of us cannot.

• ZeelotZeelot Member Posts: 126

Ive recently cancelled my subscription, as I was a bit disappointed with the content. You can basicly do 2 things in wow; pvp or pve - You HAVE to kill stuff. It would be cool to have housing or more features to fill in the gaps between raid nights.

I agree with the OP - there is nothing else than wow worth playing at the moment, hence I am without an MMO home :(

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Thanks.

Why Wow is so much loved by millions? Heaven's sake, that's easy ...They took MMO's out of the  junkyard and upgraded them to make them playable for everyone, the hardcore AND the casual player. So granny can ALSO feel she is ûber and no longer needed to live in a basement on coke and chips.

Before WOW MMO's were dull, underdevelopped and lacking gaming features. You can jump into an old mmo anytime these days and say "what the fuck were we playing back then".

Wow is responsible for bringing MMO's on the frontpage of the general news. Wow can be played both in group and as a solo experience with or without a group ("pug").

Complain all you want, but if you were not around in the late 90's and 2000 then you really don't know the lack of polish and extreme boredom and waste of time these early games had.

Oh yeah Blizzard already made all those other blockbusters in the PC gaming field, while those "older " mmo makers couldn't pull out a decent PC game from the beginning (I played Ultima OFF line in the 80's, craptastic stuff).

See, that wasn't too difficult :)))))

I feel the exact opposite I think  all the games from the late 90's early 00's were sweet and WoW is extremely boring. But hey thats great cuz like ive said many times it would be boring if everyone liked the same damn thing. Variety is good but to much of the same thing is bad. Just like all these themeparks coming out but like we get like a sandbox game every few years.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Zeelot

Ive recently cancelled my subscription, as I was a bit disappointed with the content. You can basicly do 2 things in wow; pvp or pve - You HAVE to kill stuff. It would be cool to have housing or more features to fill in the gaps between raid nights.
    I agree with the OP - there is nothing else than wow worth playing at the moment, hence I am without an MMO home :(

The whole idea of "housing" making this game better, considering it as real "content" , just blows my mind...

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

This is my take on the WOW  "Hating" thing.

Wow is a good game.  But, i think most people thought it was better be for  BC.  I feel that most people started hating when it became obvious that they where "DUMBING" it down so any one and everyone could get epics, lowering the raids  etc etc.

They started hating what was taking place in WOW, and because WOW was getting so many people playing it and making LOTS of money more and more MMO's started saying hey, we want a peice of that cash pie as we,, and started dumbing down their games, and making everything so easy that the hardcore players, (and there r a lot of them) started not to hate wow, but what was taking place and turning a good game into something less.  And because so many other companies started doing the same thing you naturally blame the one that started it.

Lets face it, WOW is one of the easiest games to play, i can solo to 80, never need a group, i can get full epics with just spending a little time in BG's etc .. there is little effort involved any longer.

So i think people r more upset with what the companies have done to the game thus hate what the game has become not hating the game as it once was.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

Or, you could, you know, maybe get up and walk around your *real* house for awhile.  Maybe even leave it out that rectangular opening and go into the zone of your front yard.  There isn't even a loading screen!

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• DaX.9DaX.9 Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Eben

Or, you could, you know, maybe get up and walk around your *real* house for awhile.  Maybe even leave it out that rectangular opening and go into the zone of your front yard.  There isn't even a loading screen!

LOL, this rulezzzz!!!

• jmccarthy14jmccarthy14 Member Posts: 42

This thread Would be 5 pages after only a few hours

Playing: DO Trial, EVE 1 Day Buy a PLEX promo.
    Played: UO, EQ, AC, GW, WoW, CoX, EQ2, AoC, WURM Online, Ryzom, Eve Online, FE Trial
    Genres: 4x strategy, Sim Racing, American/Euro RPG, Fighters

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by luciusETRUR

To say WoW is the best the genre can do is a best non-sensicle. Sure, it has the most numbers, but that doesn't mean it's the "best". These are console systems where there are only two or three out at any given time. MMOs have direction and there are plenty of variety as long a you know where to look.

Saying it's the best MMO out right now is what I'd consider it....but even you or anyone else has to agree it's very popular for a reason and it's ranking is up there.

Look at it this way, even the video game critic Nazi Yahtzee says WoW is as good as it gets...and that guy hates MMOs and 80% of all games...lol

It's only popular because any foam helmet wearing drool bib recipient can pick it up and play it. 1 to 80 in less than a month...which is sad. They made it more like a console game than an MMO.  The youngest player to play WoW (From another article/thread I read) is 3 yrs. old, if that doesn't say it all...

I don't hate WoW for the game, I hate it for the crowd it drew into the genre. Now almost every MMO community is a virtual daycare full to the brim with idiocy. Not that it didn't exist already, but it is a thousand times worse than it ever was prior to that games entrance into the arena.

Originally posted by Goatgod76

It's only popular because any foam helmet wearing drool bib recipient can pick it up and play it. 1 to 80 in less than a month...which is sad. They made it more like a console game than an MMO.  The youngest player to play WoW (From another article/thread I read) is 3 yrs. old, if that doesn't say it all...

I don't hate WoW for the game, I hate it for the crowd it drew into the genre. Now almost every MMO community is a virtual daycare full to the brim with idiocy. Not that it didn't exist already, but it is a thousand times worse than it ever was prior to that games entrance into the arena.

It is NOT popular, it is succesful.... bringing in more money than 90% of African states.

Popular is when you get something for free and listen to a popular song on the radio.

Succesful is when you blow the competition out of the water by setting a record.

Like Bolt in the 100 meter.

WOW sprints in 9.6 and the others are finishing in 55.8.

So your argument fails as ... you "hate the people that play it".

It shows your attitude very well sir.

How can a game be "not popular" and be succesful?

It is NOT popular, it is succesful.... bringing in more money than 90% of African states.

Popular is when you get something for free and listen to a popular song on the radio.

Succesful is when you blow the competition out of the water by setting a record.

Like Bolt in the 100 meter.

WOW sprints in 9.6 and the others are finishing in 55.8.

So your argument fails as ... you "hate the people that play it".

It shows your attitude very well sir.

LOL, ok.

Obviously I hit a nerve. Sorry, but I'm not having an attitude...as you put it, just stating the obvious.

Also, it can be, and is, both popular AND successful. If Blizzard had not been advertising the game all over the internet and T.V., it wouldn't of had NEAR the subscriber's it boasts...at least not near as quickly. They are the first company to mainstream advertise an MMO. So it became popular through advertisement and word of mouth, and became successful in the process due to it.

Tell me advertising multiple famous people as being "supposedly" players of WoW didn't have an impact on it's popularity with pre-teens to college age players (mainly console players they were attempting to introduce to MMO's).

You can think (assume) what you will...I'll say it again, I don't hate WoW the game. It's great they made an MMO that not only young kids can grasp, but a lot of their (probably not too computer savvy) parents as well so they could play WITH their kids. But the double-edged sword of it is that it introduced a MASSIVE amount of douchebags to the genre that are bad news for MMO communities as a whole.

The advertising brought in the large numbers, the ease of play kept them there.

People play it because it is easy to pick up. I played it from release until a bit after BC. I quit DUE TO THE COMMUNITY.  Which was brought on due to it's mass popularity and ease of learning. NOT due to the game itself. It was fun enough to keep me interested for 2 years, so I don't know how I am being close minded here. THAT is what I was saying, plain and simple.

I'm not getting into a deep philosophical argument about it with you. You must apparently enjoy still playing WoW, so sorry if I offended you with my comments. I was simply answering the OP'ers question based on my own  experiences with the game.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

WoW the best mmo... your a funny guy arent ya OP? It may be the most famous but cmon the game has more haters then pre-SWG for a reason

People play it because it is easy to pick up. I played it from release until a bit after BC. I quit DUE TO THE COMMUNITY.  Which was brought on due to it's mass popularity and ease of learning. NOT due to the game itself. It was fun enough to keep me interested for 2 years, so I don't know how I am being close minded here. THAT is what I was saying, plain and simple.
    I'm not getting into a deep philosophical argument about it with you. You must apparently enjoy still playing WoW, so sorry if I offended you with my comments. I was simply answering the OP'ers question based on my own  experiences with the game.

VERY weak argument.

Community = society as WOW is vastly more represented in all class/age groups. And you can choose to play on a PvP OR PVE server.

http://www.wow.com/2009/04/09/nielsen-wow-is-most-played-core-game-by-25-54-females/

-------

The only argument that is valid I always see is "I played it for 2 or 3 years" and now "I played it just too much".

But that's not the game's fault. That's the fault of the competition and YOU the player for playing it 150 days 24/24...(or a complete full year out of your life).

Self control and knowing your inner workings has nothing to do with the "quality" of a game.

So I don't see ANY valid arguments why WOW would be hated massively.

Sigh...rabid WoW fans. Just no getting through to you. Enjoy your game.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

People hate on WoW, because its the top MMO. Other games drop in population over time. while WoW's population rises