Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My STO review from PAX

2»

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

You mentioned the W and S keys were nose down/up.  Were they ACTUAL PITCH or simply an ELEVATOR function with the ship's avatars graphics changing to FAKE IT into looking (but not functionaly ACTING) like the ships attitude had changed?

It makes a big functional difference as to the type of manuvers the ship would be capable of performing under those conditions (and also things like angle of attack). I'm guessing (from what I've read previously) that it's an ELEVATOR function rather then an actual PITCH control.... but who knows, maybe they changed something???

I'm asking because it wasn't clear to me what was happening functionaly (rather then cosmeticaly) from your description of the controls?

Also to confirm....no Reverse Gear???

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

You mentioned the W and S keys were nose down/up.  Were they ACTUAL PITCH or simply an ELEVATOR function with the ship's avatars graphics changing to FAKE IT into looking (but not functionaly ACTING) like the ships attitude had changed?
    It makes a big functional difference as to the type of manuvers the ship would be capable of performing under those conditions (and also things like angle of attack). I'm guessing (from what I've read previously) that it's an ELEVATOR function rather then an actual PITCH control.... but who knows, maybe they changed something???
    I'm asking because it wasn't clear to me what was happening functionaly (rather then cosmeticaly) from your description of the controls?
    Also to confirm....no Reverse Gear???

Just watch all of the PAX videos and judge it for yourself. It sure looks like an Attitude adjustment to me. Their must be at least an hour total video of space combat from PAX linked in the post sticky'd at the top of this forum. Plenty there to view and see for yourself.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Bren,

Sorry can't watch videos at work. Also trying to tell what's actualy happening from looking at a video of some-one else playing. Almost sounds like the sort of ELEVATOR function a submarine might have... I guess you could call it a "partial pitch" or something like that. Where you can only nose up/nose down to a certain angle and this will change your course on the Z axis within those parameters BUT you can't actualy change it to the point where your flip over and start flying the opposite direction from your origional course. Even with something like that ... the ANGLE on the Z axis you presented to an attacker/target has the potential to make a difference as different weapon systems might be brought, your target shiloutte would change, and different parts of your ship might be able to be struck. etc. However, from what I've read of STO previously...none of that stuff really applied and the diffrences of your ships attitude were largely cosmetic rather then functionaly.

Anyway, I don't really want to dredge up the whole debate of the merits of the various ways of modeling movement.... as your sig points out....we already discussed that in full elsewhere. I just wanted to understand if anything really had changed from my previous understanding of how movement worked. Is it an actual PITCH control....or is it a dressed up ELEVATOR function....and if it is a PITCH control did they put in a ROLL as well ??? (Be pretty wierd if you could PITCH to the point you had reveresed direction and were flying upside down but had no ROLL to right yourself). Was curious to hear from some-one who had hands on.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Bren,
    Sorry can't watch videos at work. Also trying to tell what's actualy happening from looking at a video of some-one else playing. Almost sounds like the sort of ELEVATOR function a submarine might have... I guess you could call it a "partial pitch" or something like that. Where you can only nose up/nose down to a certain angle and this will change your course on the Z axis within those parameters BUT you can't actualy change it to the point where your flip over and start flying the opposite direction from your origional course. Even with something like that ... the ANGLE on the Z axis you presented to an attacker/target has the potential to make a difference as different weapon systems might be brought, your target shiloutte would change, and different parts of your ship might be able to be struck. etc. However, from what I've read of STO previously...none of that stuff really applied and the diffrences of your ships attitude were largely cosmetic rather then functionaly.
    Anyway, I don't really want to dredge up the whole debate of the merits of the various ways of modeling movement.... as your sig points out....we already discussed that in full elsewhere. I just wanted to understand if anything really had changed from my previous understanding of how movement worked. Is it an actual PITCH control....or is it a dressed up ELEVATOR function....and if it is a PITCH control did they put in a ROLL as well ??? (Be pretty wierd if you could PITCH to the point you had reveresed direction and were flying upside down but had no ROLL to right yourself). Was curious to hear from some-one who had hands on.

I wasn't trying to dredge up an old argument either my friend... Just wanted to make sure you knew there was a lot of video to see for yourself. I always feel that seeing is believing so I didn't want you to miss a chance to judge it for yourself. Yes we have already discussed this but that was before we had all of this video.

From viewing the videos I believe that you do have pitch control to a point and you will continue to fly in the direction you are pointing but I don't think you could take it past plus or minus 90 degrees. It is pitch control... just not full 360 degree pitch control. This is more than good enough for me but I can understand if some have issues with it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

I dunno how I missed this, great review HS! I am so excited, I want beta cake!

• FritomanFritoman Member Posts: 59

Yes, great review/information.  Anything about the game at this point only excites me more.  Man, it's been a long wait for this game.  I kept searching web years ago to find something, anything on a STO game and was so excited when they announced.  I have really only been biding my time over the years waiting for STO, nothing else holds my interest for long.