Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dwarf is a Playable Race !!

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/articles/interviews/4633-guild-wars-2-arenanet-im-interview-teil-1/6/

Dwarfs will have an improtant lore hold on the events that cause GW2. Seems to suggest them as a playable race in future X-pacs.

Cool huw?

Any race you want to play, other then GW2 current races?

Comments

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

centaur

• PolantarisPolantaris Member Posts: 54

I remember reading something that said that the little amount of dwarves left were turned into statues or something like that...

From http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2#Races : "The Dwarves, who pursued the Destroyers deep and long at the end of Eye of the North, are now deathless creatures of stone; the few who remain watch the ages go by, interacting little with the other sentient races, if at all. "

That doesn't sound like a playable race to me.

---
    This is but a brief parting.

• TetsunamiTetsunami Member Posts: 20

No the dwarves will not be a playable race and yes they were turned to stone, the article just says they will play an important role in the lore and future lore for the players please don't hype stuff that is not confirmed...

I would like to see the Dwarves as a race honestly but there are also the Tengu, Centaurs, and a few other candidates as well.

• gamergamergamergamer Member Posts: 6

Is Guild War II better than Guild War I

I was told that Guild War was a wonderful game

i should try

maybe it is better than Aion

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by gamergamer

Is Guild War II better than Guild War I
    I was told that Guild War was a wonderful game
    i should try
    maybe it is better than Aion

Tell us how GW2 is please....

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Maybe in an X-pac our actions will lift their curse.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• PolantarisPolantaris Member Posts: 54

Even so, there's so few left that it wouldn't be logical for them to be a playable race.

Think about it, you have like...just as a crude number....5 million players.  If Dwarf is playable, "few left" isn't 2.5 million.  That's a good amount.  (That's saying only half the players play one dwarf character)

---
    This is but a brief parting.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

GW2 i a work of video game fantasy, and writers will readily butcher and/or retcon any existing storyline if it will lead to a few extra sales of a game. Just look at the Tauren Paladins that are coming up in the next WoW expansion.

Aside from that, I doubt the inclusion of dwarves will translate into much in the way of sales for GW2, and at this stage, it's a different enough fantasy setting from the traditional MMO that dwarves don't really have much of a place in it.

Given the storyline, the only way Dwarves would make sense, is as a prestige race, only playable on particularly accomplished accounts (like Drow in DDO.)

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Asura already play the role of Dwarfs (bringers of advanced tecnology and rulers of steal) unless dwarfs had brought the dragon with some apocaliptic magic (like in Gothic series).[

And i would like to see OGREs as playable races =)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• captainnlcaptainnl Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Asura already play the role of Dwarfs (bringers of advanced tecnology and rulers of steal) unless dwarfs had brought the dragon with some apocaliptic magic (like in Gothic series).[

Charr have the most advanced technology. (aka guns and other inventions)

Asura just have the most advanced "magical" techonology. Asura arent the "rulers"  or best users of steel either.. 

• cryoracryora Member Posts: 367

I don't know I think robots are more advanced than guns personally.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by captainnl

Asura just have the most advanced "magical" techonology. Asura arent the "rulers"  or best users of steel either.. 

You do know that Asura can use Guns also. So that point is not Valid.

Iam just pointing that out. Continue.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Originally posted by captainnl

You do know that Asura can use Guns also. So that point is not Valid.

Iam just pointing that out. Continue.

What's the matter? Don't have any links to steal that prove your point? A statement that invalidates another persons opinion really ought to be backed up with meaningful linkage.

Asura are the foremost Arcanists and Golemancers in all of tyria.

Charr  "... have led the revolution of physical technology--guns, explosives, and war machines."

War machines are steampunk - crude, loud, and represents the height of physical sciences in the setting.

The Golems of GW are made out of mechanical parts, but they run on magic, not steam. There would be no need for Asura to waste their time on something as crude as a gun. If they do have them they'll likely be the arcane equivalent of a laser blaster.

In short, Captainnl is right. Kenaoshi is partially right, but it's the Charr that took over for the dwarves, not asura.

Troll fails as he usually does when he's not plagiarizing better thought out material.

• 1niceone11niceone1 Member Posts: 29

Fairly sure this rules out any immediate, if any, play of Dwarves as a race. They will most likely return, but I think chances are they will not do so as a playable race.

"Onlinewelten: Will the charr cults play a role in GW2? What about the remaining dwarves?

Ree Soesbee: The charr have changed a great deal since the original Guild Wars, and have reestablished their Legions and their original culture. The Flame Legion, led primarily by the shamans who were in charge during the Searing, still exists, but they are reviled by the other Legions.

The dwarves have left the surface of Tyria to hunt Primordus and the destroyers below ground. There is one dwarf active in Tyria, and the players can interact with him, but the others have not been heard from in generations. They have become little more than legend to those races who remained behind."

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/articles/interviews/4666-guild-wars-2-arenanet-im-interview-teil-2/6/

• VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71
    It said they're NOT a playable race
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Vespura

It said they're NOT a playable race

Necromancer just summoned this undead thread. :P

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Polantaris

Even so, there's so few left that it wouldn't be logical for them to be a playable race.

Think about it, you have like...just as a crude number....5 million players.  If Dwarf is playable, "few left" isn't 2.5 million.  That's a good amount.  (That's saying only half the players play one dwarf character)

Maybe the dwarfs get busy...

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by skeaser

But they aren't cursed, they've become the Great Dwarf. It's supposed to be good.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Exilor

Originally posted by skeaser

But they aren't cursed, they've become the Great Dwarf. It's supposed to be good.

For the entire world. They are much stronger this way and they fight Primordus without stopping until either they die or they defeat him. Without the stoned dwarves the destroyers would have been a much bigger problem. Dwarves are very unlikely.

My guess is that the Tengu will be added next since Anet stated that the Dominion of Winds is a Tengu city and it will not be accesible with the initial release of GW2. Besides they fit with a story focused on overthrowing the xenophobic emporer of Cantha.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Yeah, according to the lore the dwarves that had any interest in interacting with the other races have turned to stone, they're long dead and they won't be coming back. They chose to do it to themselves knowing the risks. The only other dwarves we know of are the Stone Summit dwarves, and they hate everyone, even dwarves that aren't Stone Summit (not that any of those exist any more).

But yeah, there is hope for other races. They kind of left the Tengu hanging, so as I said in another thread, there's a damn good chance that we'll get to rescue the last of the Tengu and bring them in to repopulate in Tyria. I mean, the asura and the charr are building airships together, big ones, they have to be planning to use them for something, and reconnaissance for other potential allies would be a potentially handy thing to do.

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Yeah, according to the lore the dwarves that had any interest in interacting with the other races have turned to stone, they're long dead and they won't be coming back. They chose to do it to themselves knowing the risks. The only other dwarves we know of are the Stone Summit dwarves, and they hate everyone, even dwarves that aren't Stone Summit (not that any of those exist any more).

We don't know if there are any Stone Summit dwarves left at all. We killed all their leaders and a lot of their soldiers, maybe only a few disorganized groups.

But yeah, there is hope for other races. They kind of left the Tengu hanging, so as I said in another thread, there's a damn good chance that we'll get to rescue the last of the Tengu and bring them in to repopulate in Tyria. I mean, the asura and the charr are building airships together, big ones, they have to be planning to use them for something, and reconnaissance for other potential allies would be a potentially handy thing to do.

There are already Tengu in Tyria and as I said, the Dominion of WInds which is a Tengu city is also already there (just not accessible). The Tengu which did not get out of Cantha in time most likely were turned to slaves or were killed but most of them will be gone from Cantha. The part about the airship building sounds like speculation based on concept art.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Yeah, but the Tyrian Tengu hate us as much as the Stone Summit dwarves did. However, the Canthan Tengu were much more reasonable. Hence why it would make sense for the next expansion to be a Canthan expedition, so we can find out what's been going on there and rescue the Canthan Tengu in the process.

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Yeah, but the Tyrian Tengu hate us as much as the Stone Summit dwarves did. However, the Canthan Tengu were much more reasonable. Hence why it would make sense for the next expansion to be a Canthan expedition, so we can find out what's been going on there and rescue the Canthan Tengu in the process.

What I was trying to say was that most of the still living Canthan Tengu are already in Tyria, specifically in the Dominion of Winds. 200 years before GW2 Cantha is already purging non-humans from it's lands so there won't be a lot left there.

From The Movement of the World:

In the year 1127 AE, Emperor Usoku, successor to Kisu, took a firm hold of his nation. He raised the Canthan military, spending millions in gold to arm his troops, and then swept the countryside. He defeated the Luxons and the Kurzick, incorporating these disparate people back into his nation. Usoku unified Cantha behind a strong national identity and began to drive out all non-humans. His regime was ironclad, tyrannical, and fierce. Those Canthans who did not agree with the emperor's dictates were given no choice but to leave their homeland, seeking refuge and sanctuary in Elona and Tyria.