Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age?

LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Why the fuck is Dragon Age being advertised on this site? It's not an MMO, and ads for it don't belong here. EA's money too hard to resist?

Comments

• Mattyb710Mattyb710 Member Posts: 98

First, Ads pay the bills. So they should take all the money they can get from whoever wants to advertise.

Second, the adds on this site are for Dragon Oath. I haven't seen a single Dragon Age advertisement. Dumbass.

• NemorsaNemorsa Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 131

The front page ad was Dragon Age the other day, kind of a hard one to miss. 

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Mattyb710

First, Ads pay the bills. So they should take all the money they can get from whoever wants to advertise.

Second, the adds on this site are for Dragon Oath. I haven't seen a single Dragon Age advertisement. Dumbass.

Dragon age origins is advertised here so your insult should be used for yourself too plus this is an mmorpg site and all the adverts apart of dragon age were all for mmo games.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

There are dragon age ads as well (and dragonica too, just in case you want to get confused with dragon games).

Our rule on ads has always been only if it's within the interest of our community. Dragon Age qualifies. If it was a car commercial, I'd see your argument, but an offline RPG from a company that is also making an MMO is not exactly out of left field.

Plus, when we did actually cover Dragon Age (long before the ads, and nothing to do with them for all you tinfoil hatters) it got nothing other than positive response on the site.

Is Dragon Age an MMO? Of course not. Is it on the list or will it be? No. Does a single-player RPG interest a good section of the MMORPG.com audience? I don't see why it wouldn't.

And for those who cannot find it, it's the background skin on our gamelist sections. IE: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• Mattyb710Mattyb710 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Dana

There are dragon age ads as well (and dragonica too, just in case you want to get confused with dragon games).

Our rule on ads has always been only if it's within the interest of our community. Dragon Age qualifies. If it was a car commercial, I'd see your argument, but an offline RPG from a company that is also making an MMO is not exactly out of left field.

Plus, when we did actually cover Dragon Age (long before the ads, and nothing to do with them for all you tinfoil hatters) it got nothing other than positive response on the site.

Is Dragon Age an MMO? Of course not. Is it on the list or will it be? No. Does a single-player RPG interest a good section of the MMORPG.com audience? I don't see why it wouldn't.

And for those who cannot find it, it's the background skin on our gamelist sections. IE: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

Think you quoted the wrong person there. I'm all in favor of you putting up any ads that will pay the bills to keep this place running.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

They do have forums for general gaming.   A lot of people are interested in just RPG's you know like Dragon Age (I know I am), so it really doesn't botrher me.   :)   Plus, MMORPG.com has to pay their bills somehow, so advertising is a way to do it.   :p

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

The first part was meant to you the rest for the OP.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Nothing to flip out about for sure, I really don't see a problem here. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Indeed maybe the money is too hard to resist.

Or maybe its just there to highlight how awful the story driven PvE MMO's are in comparison.

Maybe its there to inspire debates such as "Why can't MMO's be like this game? Why can't we have cool interactive stories that are told with decent cinematics and exciting gameplay? Why do MMO's rely exclusively on text files for their story telling "entertainment"?"

Maybe its there to remind bored MMO players that there are actually really good single player RPGs waiting to be played. Maybe its there to reduce the number of "Does anyone know of any decent MMO's to play or do they all suck?" posts on this website.

Maybe its just there to annoy you.

• wolfr3wolfr3 Member Posts: 24

I'm glad they put the add up, it looks like a good rpg. Besides, the company advertising that game is also making an mmo, so why not.

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Fair enough. But I don't have much hope for Dragon Age. Ever since the Baldur's Gate series and NWN, Bioware has decided that story and character interaction is more important than actual gameplay. Like Mass Effect... excellent story and characters, but shallow, bland, and generic gameplay. SW:TOR looks like more of the same.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by LethalBurst

Fair enough. But I don't have much hope for Dragon Age. Ever since the Baldur's Gate series and NWN, Bioware has decided that story and character interaction is more important than actual gameplay. Like Mass Effect... excellent story and characters, but shallow, bland, and generic gameplay. SW:TOR looks like more of the same.

And you're entitled to your opinion, but we don't apply an editorial standard to advertising. 

Off topic, if you liked BGII/NWN, you might actually enjoy DA. I was up there to see it and it "felt" like Baldur's Gate II and the developers themselves called it a spiritual successor. Basically, the impression I got, was that it wasn't BGIII because they don't own the IP, that's the only reason.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

I don't get why people care so much.  I mean it is an RPG and a video game.  Also for the guy above... I think Mass Effect was an awesome game.  It really let me play the character the way I wanted and I liked the gameplay (other than the Mako part) almost as much as the story itself (which like you said was incredible).