Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why was it cancelled?

WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

I am sorry but I just don't understand. I played 2 hrs and I loved it but then I had a serious power outage. Why was it cancelled all of a sudden please respond thoroughly?

BTW: is it because peeps hated the controls? that was a huge issue

k they claim its due to low subscribers but WTF with only 100k at 10 bucks a month thats um let me see $1,000,000 dollars per month. Geez what more do they need!!?!?!? Thats certainly enough to keep the servers and employees happy!!! Even with 50k at 10bucks a month thats 500,000 dollars. And they were even going to charge more than fifteen. Say they charged 20 bucks with 50k subscribers thats 1,000,000. AGAIN 1 Million geez those greedy people.

Comments

• truentseatruentsea Member Posts: 11

it was cancelled because it was crap plain and simple. Sorry to be blunt but thats about it..

"k they claim its due to low subscribers but WTF with only 100k at 10 bucks a month "

the game would NEVER have gotten anywhere nearing 100k subscribers. They would of been lucky to get 2,000 players.

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Umm wow u must be new because even though a lot of people didn't care much for the game it had a pretty big following. Not everyone in beta liked the game but not all the fans were in teh beta. Wow 2k geez...with all those fansites?

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627
    I'm wondering if they opened the beta up, got all these subscribers on their server engine and realized that their servers, as designed, couldn't handle as much as they originally thought which would necessitate a complete change in the business plan for hardware and the such.

Because it was just a couple weeks ago they opened the floodgates with the download on Fileplanet and then had to back step and only allow people into beta in phases because of volume issues.

Kind of all fits..
  • WotannWotann Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Umm wow u must be new because even though a lot of people didn't care much for the game it had a pretty big following. Not everyone in beta liked the game but not all the fans were in teh beta. Wow 2k geez...with all those fansites?

They had 60k beta applications, maybe more. But due to MR's ineptness, people could create a infinite number of applications to increase their chances to get in. It's when they finally realized this fact they understood that they had seriously underestimated the playerbase they thought they had. Any investor would be quick to pul out at such new - They're too smart to lose more money that they allready have.

Maybe this taught them to IP log applications and not let every email count. image

Nemo sine vitio est

Nemo sine vitio est

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by Mutable Realms 12/29/2004
    Because of the enormous number of beta applications that we have received (more than 60,000 at the time of this writing), we will not enable all beta accounts on January 1 at once. Instead, we will only enable a number of randomly chosen beta accounts every day, starting January 1.

Originally posted by Mutable Realms 01/01/2005
    Today our Wish Beta 2.0 test has started. We received a total of 68,000 tester registrations. 10,000 accounts have been activated today, the remaining will be activated in the next days.

Originally posted by Mutable Realms 01/03/2005
    Our Wish 2.0 Beta client is now #1 on Fileplanet's "What's Hot?" list for more than two weeks, with over 45,000 downloads! Meanwhile, Beta 2.0 is in full progress, with a total of 68,000 players signed up, and 30,000 player accounts activated within the first three days.

Originally posted by truentsea
    it was cancelled because it was crap plain and simple. Sorry to be blunt but thats about it..
    Truentsea, just what do you base this opinion on? Personally, I didn't enjoy the interface, but the story line and game concept were very intriquing.

I'd really like to see where some of you got your information, what sources. I suspect dsorrent might actually be closest to the truth. I was reading the other "why was it cancelled" thread. Lot of emotion alot of statements, but you know, the only real factual comment I'm seeing, people didn't like the interface.

----------------------------------------
    Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• ymhchangymhchang Member Posts: 1

yah, i agree with Odenathus, as i play wish beta 2 for 1 week, seem like they have alot problem with server.  the server been shut down many times and patch everyday.   as for the crapy control, lacking of keyboard control. I believed it was designed that way to pervent using macro programs. 

I think wish is a promising game. i would pay for the game if they release it.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

I agree with truentsea that the game was just plain crap and unfortunately for the devs, a determined fanbase can't always guarantee to make a success of a bad game. I found it to be a very uncomfortable gaming experience.

And dsorrent, I think you're right. They probably outreached the capabilities of their hardware too.

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

I don't know what to say to all the people that didn't like it besides.. to each their own. For every person that didn't like it there was most likely one that did that was PLAYING and NOT POSTING on forums about it. Thus most of the posts you saw about beta 2.0 on forums were from the people that had stopped. Anyways, there were definitely a lot of server stability issues but that's what the beta test was for - to iron them out. On friday and saturday the server issues had really been improved.

I Wish it hadn't been canceled. I for one can't stand most of the other MMO's at the time and the 24 or so logged hours i had in Wish were bliss.

----------------------
    Jake

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring
    - Richard P. Feynman, 1988

• Pi--Pi-- Member Posts: 83

"Why was it cancelled?"

Because it was complete crap, this is not even an opinion. If you like Wish, you have never ever palyed any other mmorpgs. Read the 10's of other threads about why Wish is so crap.

-Pi

-Pi

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

Pi you and others like you are total scumbags. Its people like you who cause grief for us all. If this game is so bad why are you posting on a forum meant for people who like Wish. Jeez uve got nothing better to do i guess.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

most MMORPG devs Ive spoken with calls mmorpg.com "troll's lair" ...thats why you see them post elsewhere more often than here...

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by kishe

most MMORPG devs Ive spoken with calls mmorpg.com "troll's lair" ...thats why you see them post elsewhere more often than here...

True.

They don't like the game but STILL come to the forum to post that it sucks. They offer no contructive critisism only childish flames. I don't like Everquest 2 but I don't go to their forum to post that it sucks, that would be immature.

• RedDevilRedDevil Member Posts: 9
    Ummmm To me i thought Wish was quite good as im not mush into PvE and i started 2 love it , Petty they cancelled it.   i personly like it , and think it would of taken off and loads of poeple would of join it , It's a real shame they cancel it .

• TheTemplarTheTemplar Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by dsorrent
    I'm wondering if they opened the beta up, got all these subscribers on their server engine and realized that their servers, as designed, couldn't handle as much as they originally thought which would necessitate a complete change in the business plan for hardware and the such. Because it was just a couple weeks ago they opened the floodgates with the download on Fileplanet and then had to back step and only allow people into beta in phases because of volume issues. Kind of all fits..
    This was my impression too. I am not sure how the game was before the 'open' beta but server stability was a joke and at times latency was totally crazy. Towards the end I believe they solved most issues with server stability but I got the impression that they were not gonna keep the promise of a Ummorpg.

On a side note I think they have good ideas but I did not feel that this game were good enough to compete with the more popular MMO games today.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

To compete with other mmorpgs you do not need state of the art graphics but there has to be a certain minimum graphical quality.  Wish's graphics were 3-4 years out of date.  Wish's graphics were more similar to some type of free mud game rather a competitive game that is being marketed at mainstream gamers.  The artwork was horrible.  The interface was horrible.  Combat was horrible.  This is the first game I have seen that makes SWG  and Horizons look good.

The game appeared to be a cheap imitation of Horizons.  When I was playing it I kept asking myself why just not play Horizons where you have better graphics, better UI and a more complete and polished game.

I was very dissapointed in Wish.  I expected it to be bad and amateurish but not this bad.  I hoped it would suprise me.  Anytime a game stops developement, fires its lead designer and changes the entire focus of the game its a big red flag that its gonna be a stinker.  This happened to HZ and it happened to Wish.

I kept playing hoping there would be some depth to Wish.  But there was nothing.  I feel most sorry for the Devs.  Even though the game was poorly done they put thier heart and soul into it and seemed to want to make a deep game rather than just an unispired copy of an exisitng MMOPRG.  I want to feel sorry for the fanboys as well but I can't they will never get it. 

With the death of Wish.  What game is next to be cancllled.  My bet is Darkfall, Mourning or DnL will be the next to die.  All three of these games have been long delayed and have had little or no signigant activity the last year.  If these 3 fail there does not look like there will be a new mainstream competitive game released for at least 2 maybe 3 years except GW but I really don't consider GW A MMOPRG. 

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

http://pc.ign.com/articles/578/578596p1.html
    "After careful consideration of all the facts and analyzing all the data which we have gathered from the Wish Beta 2.0 test so far," read the update, "we have decided to cancel the Wish project."

...So the feedback from Wish Beta2 was so immense they decided to cancel it(?). (Also beta accounts DO NOT count towards PAYING accounts).

One more mmorpg shot down before it hit the market ::::30::

[Edit:typo]

• utopianhvnutopianhvn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7

I personally liked Wish -- it stayed true to its pegan/celtic roots and storylines with magic(k) and nature. However, Wish did take a while to get used to. The first three hours of play was painful and I went to bed thinking I wasn't going to play it agian. But like some movies, I woke up thinking it wasn't so bad.

I liked the skill system. Crafting was a decent system, where you really had to work to get good crafts -- so everyone and their dog wasn't expert crafters. However, the combat system was HORRID. It made me want to cry pressive F4, F5, F6, F4, F7, F4, F7, F4, F5, etc. And it was too hard to tell how good something was; you went by the color, but it was impossable to get the exact number of health points or any real stats.

As far as the beta 2.0 response, if a game is going to get the shaft -- it has to have been in the works for longer than nine days. Beta 2.0 started on Jan 1st and they closed shop on Jan 9th; no one does that without something already else in store.

And, as already pointed out, their big UMMORPG idea wasn't going to fly. While the server was beta-stable (up for at least 95% of the time) after the mid-beta 160 MB patch, I couldn't see it supporting all 68,000 people.

However, the game was stable. If they only got a mere 10,000 subscribers (Asheron's Call still has that many!), they could have a programmer or three stay around and keep the game spinning. I think they could've got back a little money off their investment by making it a download game and have a low subscription fee ($10-ish) -- but I'm sure there were other issues.

• sblmnlsblmnl Member UncommonPosts: 8

Has everyone seen this?  Project Wish - seems some folks don't want to see Wish die. If you are one of them please email them to register your interest / volunteer if you can.

http://www.projectwish.com/

On another note, I've been reading as many new threads as I can, not just here but anywhere, to try and find out any facts about why it was cancelled.. and its becoming quite tedious seeing so many  unsupported, and typically negative opinions.

Posting "It was cancelled cos it sucked" just wastes everyone's time, yours, writing it, and mine, reading it. You didnt like the game? Fine. You are entitled to your opinion, for mine, I pretty much agree with the previous poster utopianhvn, and I probably would've subscribed as  I was really encouraged by the progress they were making with fixing a lot of the issues. But opinion is neither fact, so don't present it as such - nor relevant, since the game's been cancelled. 

Please go dance on someone else's grave.

MR killed my elf! Damn them!

Mutable Realms killed my donkey! Damn them!

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by sblmnl
    Has everyone seen this? Project Wish - seems some folks don't want to see Wish die. If you are one of them please email them to register your interest / volunteer if you can.
    Project Wish

Yes, it will be interesting to see if that goes anywhere. If they can get some organzied adults focused on it, I think it could work, but I'd be more afraid of a bunch of kids ruining the attempt by sending mails to Mutable Realms giving the impression that it isn't an organized, focused movement to get Wish back on it's feet.

• NiarenNiaren Member Posts: 4

From a letter that was posted on the Wish Forum just prior to everything being taken down....the letter was from MR to one of the live event moderators.....the decision was a financial one, as they didn't think they'd get the client base to support the game.

My personal belief is that the techonolgy was too advanced to support the average gamer's systems and lacked support for some of the more popular, though outdated vid cards.  For the rest, it was still an early beta so many of the guides and tutorials weren't yet in place, like some of the races and professions for this beta, but get real....any normal gamer of the genre didn't take long to figure things out.  They had a rough few days with server stability, but that settled out rather quickly.

The interface was odd to get used to, but once settled it was easy to get around.  Chat was the hardest to get used to and the most awkward for communication, but they were working on that as well.  The concept, however was fresh and allowed an incredible amount of freedom for the gamer.  I'll miss the live content as well.

I do hope that Wish is only shelved until technology can catch up to them though.  It was the ideal that WOW, EQ and UO have strived for and never reached.

• LochnessLochness Member UncommonPosts: 12

sad thay cancel the game.... but i know there are some ppl's working on to get it up agen....

Great game to play...

• sblmnlsblmnl Member UncommonPosts: 8

Any interested Wish fans should keep an eye on the Project Wish News page http://www.projectwish.com/news.php

Sadly, it seems there is no prospect of MR reviving Wish in the short term. That reason has been confirmed again - the plug was pulled, simply, because:

"[The Wish subscriber base] is simply not large enough to support a group of over 32 full-time game developers, plus many others that worked as consultants."

Not because of major technical or copyright issues or anything else (although I guess the speculation about the underlying factors that lead to this to this assessment will inevitably continue). Seems odd though that so much development effort would be based on such apparently wobbly numbers, at this late stage. 

Annnnd it does make me wonder just how much those people spamming the Wish beta boards with "Wish suxxor WoW/Horizons/other MMORPG roxxor/WASD r00lz kthxbi" posts contributed to this outcome. I have at least two friends who were originally enthusiastic enough to sign up for the beta and dl the client, but were put off from actually installing it by those posts...I told them yes, there were problems with the servers and the interface etc but it looked like MR was getting on top of it and they should just wait a few more days... *sigh*. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, isnt it.

Niaren - maybe you're right and MR's Wish will be revived when the average gaming rig has caught up - but it seemed pretty clear from the reply from MR to Project Wish, for the foreseeable future it's  dead. 

For the foreseeable future, Project Wish is Wish's only hope of ever seeing daylight in any guise. It will be a long haul, as they are basically having to start from scratch, starting with an open-source engine.

Sign up and support Project Wish if you can! http://www.projectwish.com/contact.htm

MR killed my donkey! Damn them!

Mutable Realms killed my donkey! Damn them!

• LochnessLochness Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by sblmnl

Any interested Wish fans should keep an eye on the Project Wish News page http://www.projectwish.com/news.php
    Sadly, it seems there is no prospect of MR reviving Wish in the short term. That reason has been confirmed again - the plug was pulled, simply, because:
    "[The Wish subscriber base] is simply not large enough to support a group of over 32 full-time game developers, plus many others that worked as consultants."
    Not because of major technical or copyright issues or anything else (although I guess the speculation about the underlying factors that lead to this to this assessment will inevitably continue). Seems odd though that so much development effort would be based on such apparently wobbly numbers, at this late stage. 
    Annnnd it does make me wonder just how much those people spamming the Wish beta boards with "Wish suxxor WoW/Horizons/other MMORPG roxxor/WASD r00lz kthxbi" posts contributed to this outcome. I have at least two friends who were originally enthusiastic enough to sign up for the beta and dl the client, but were put off from actually installing it by those posts...I told them yes, there were problems with the servers and the interface etc but it looked like MR was getting on top of it and they should just wait a few more days... *sigh*. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, isnt it.
    Niaren - maybe you're right and MR's Wish will be revived when the average gaming rig has caught up - but it seemed pretty clear from the reply from MR to Project Wish, for the foreseeable future it's  dead. 
    For the foreseeable future, Project Wish is Wish's only hope of ever seeing daylight in any guise. It will be a long haul, as they are basically having to start from scratch, starting with an open-source engine.
     Sign up and support Project Wish if you can! http://www.projectwish.com/contact.htm

MR killed my donkey! Damn them!

Yes I support Project Wish.... I hope it can come back online.... (havent unstallet from my PC yet... hopeing it soon come back online agen) image

• KarujiKaruji Member Posts: 47

I didn't play it or read a whole lot about it but from what I read it seemed like the storyline was the only cool thing that they had going on. It also seems like alot of Wish fans moved to DnL. Maybe some of the other games can pick up on the kinda things that Wish had in mind.

Your type is: KAS
    80% Killer
    46% Achiever
    40% Socializer
    33% Explorer
    If ya can't take the PvP stay out of the combat zones! Period!

Your type is: KAS
    80% Killer
    46% Achiever
    40% Socializer
    33% Explorer
    If ya can't take the PvP stay out of the combat zones! Period!