Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power and Prestige Expansion? Your thoughts?

GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/68/feature/3584/Pirates-of-the-Burning-Sea-Power-and-Prestige-Expansion.html

Just thought I would see who still drops by?

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Exploits?

I have a major RED FLAG on what I see in this article already.

Comments?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Comments

• KaiserjagerKaiserjager Member Posts: 100

Oh dear God, Gyrus you see just ONE red flag?!

This has been in the pipes since the launch. The game basics are still screwed up and they are going to add a whole new layer of mistakes and errors to already impressive pile. It is no secret POTBS exists solely due to SOE grace and it is no secret that game is imbalanced, badly made, historically inaccurate, prone to bugs and exploits and saddled with incompetent and biased staff and developers. The sole redeeming feature is, was, and will be the open sea combat. Everything else is subpar and worse than many F2P.

That being said this game is my hobby wreck so I check back on the forums now and then just to see how far will Rusty and his dolts go. I guess very far. Anybody normal would call it quits by now, McQuaid at least quit after VG tanked but not Ol' Rusty. He will yell scream, lie, swindle, browbeat until the Hell freezes over. Stuborness  of this magnitude combined with incompetence can only mean FLS is staffed by idiots. My personal view, of course.

As for Red Flags, Dear God Almighty... Where to start?

Democracy in an online game? Election of who will control in game resources? Possibility of cheating in voting? It is a recipe for yet another disaster and that if the system works as intended.

Should be fun to watch though.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Yeah, there might be more red flags than just one.  Though I think the one Gyrus means is the port governance election thing, so easy to manipulate.  

First we will have to wait and see if there are any concrete advantages to being governor, so far all I can see is setting taxation rates (port defenses are not really useful, since the map resets anyway).  But if I remember correctly, taxation under port governance was meant to be a money sink, not a money transfer, at least according to Isildur's original plan.  Either way, it could become an extortion racket very, very quickly -- but think of it this way: the large guilds will want to be back!  And if you gather influence points just by playing the game, wouldn't it make sense for gold farmers (if any are left) to just seize the opportunity to grab the governance of a port and make everyone pay through the nose?

I'm just amazed that the game is still alive, though.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Kaiserjager

Oh dear God, Gyrus you see just ONE red flag?!
    No, but I don't bother to count with this game any more.
    That being said this game is my hobby wreck so I check back on the forums now and then just to see how far will Rusty and his dolts go.
    He heh.  Yeah... it's like watching a 2 year episode of Judge Judy where Rusty has driven drunk and keeps saying "But THEY put the fence there!  If they hadn't o' did that I wouldn't have crashed!"
    As for Red Flags, Dear God Almighty... Where to start?
    Democracy in an online game? Election of who will control in game resources? Possibility of cheating in voting? It is a recipe for yet another disaster and that if the system works as intended.
    Re read for juuu! 

"This is accomplished through influence. Players generate influence as they play Pirates of the Burning Sea and can then pledge it towards someone who is a candidate for governor. Societies (guilds) can also pledge on behalf of an entire guild."

But yeah, that's a minor point in an avalanche...
    Should be fun to watch though.
    You bring the popcorn - I bring the soda?

Originally posted by Vetarnias

Yeah, there might be more red flags than just one.  Though I think the one Gyrus means is the port governance election thing, so easy to manipulate.  

That, and the removal and some stuff I would like more info on.

After a year of running a live 'MMO' - FLS still does not understand their customers - how they play and think - and what motivates them.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by Vetarnias

That, and the removal and some stuff I would like more info on.

After a year of running a live 'MMO' - FLS still does not understand their customers - how they play and think - and what motivates them.

I have to agree. I hope FLS got their money from SOE  on the front end, because they can't run a game for jack. FLS makes SOE look competent by comparison, and how sad is that?

• KaiserjagerKaiserjager Member Posts: 100

I am not actually surprised it still floats around, VG and SWG are also still alive although anyone will half wits will tell you both are flops big time. SEO did well, don't get me wrong I don't like its approach but take a Station Pass monthly sub and load yourself with number of games. Most are of poor quality but SOE sells you the quantity.

FLS though are for me a continuation of general trend in the gaming industry, and even wider economy. Namely low competency company trying to pull a quick one regardless of consequences. Yes, there were flops like VG (lack of money) and SWG (NGE) but after them came shallow and poorly made games like WAR and AoC with little excuse above and beyond basic greed and incompetence. So if Funcom can try it why not FLS? That, for me, is exactly the problem. FLS is a small incompetent vulture trying to imitate the game of bigger predators. I find that trend unsettling. I mean think of it, what can we expect for online gaming (hobby for me) in the future?

And all that for a game that arguably has one of the most, if not the most, original concept out there. Honestly POTBS is a complete waste because in the future it will be used as a reference of why MMO's outside of standard fantasy genre cannot fly. Fro the record, and based from what limited data I got, I suspect SWTOR and other SFish MMOs will just entrench the attitude. So we can look forward to more WoW clones because everythign else will be deemed unworkable or too risky.

Personal opinion, of course.

Originally posted by Kaiserjager

Honestly POTBS is a complete waste because in the future it will be used as a reference of why MMO's outside of standard fantasy genre cannot fly. Fro the record, and based from what limited data I got, I suspect SWTOR and other SFish MMOs will just entrench the attitude. So we can look forward to more WoW clones because everythign else will be deemed unworkable or too risky.

Personal opinion, of course.

Sadly, I agree on SWTOR as from the little I have seen they have already generated too much expectation through their own hype for what will probably be more instanced online gaming.

FWIW I am reading Richard Bartle's "Designing Virtual Worlds" ATM and PotBS actually violates many of the 'guidelines' he sets out in that book.

Can they at least sell the rights to the code back to SiD Meier so his company/some company can make Pirates 2?

FLS are pretty much done with it, looks like...

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Can they at least sell the rights to the code back to SiD Meier so his company/some company can make Pirates 2?
    FLS are pretty much done with it, looks like...

true dat

Make it so...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

People still play this game?  Who knew? 

Glad to see they have enough subs to expand the game though.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

People still play this game?  Who knew? 
    Glad to see they have enough subs to expand the game though.

At one point one of the FLS people came out and basically said that the deal they made with SOE paid them up front for SOE running the game for however long (or words to that effect). FLS is still doing something, probably because they are getting paid to. The sub numbers for this game have to be so abysmal, I can't see any way for them to actually make money, if they had to rely on the subs.

But who really knows.... this game has been a turkey almost since launch....

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

I think Potbs has long suffered from a lack of clear vision & expertize to implement even some of the more simple features on their own out of date wish list; after a long delay they have a new lead designer & the dev team has been re-enforced.

Power & Prestige is meant to expand the game to give individuals a more rewarding experience but could lead to more cheating & exploits. It will basically allow players to manipulate under-developed functions that mostly already exist in one form or another so unless it is complimented by some exciting new content it may not make that much of an impact.

One issue that FLS hope to address is that of rewards which until now have been cancelled or mainly negated on every map reset.

P&P will turn around the fortunes of Potbs lagging populations only if it exceeds players expectations backed up by some serious hype & major publicity prior to its release; the fact that Rusty now rarely posts on the official forums is not a good sign.