Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Roleplayers left?

Mattyd32Mattyd32 Member Posts: 14

I have been reading some old EvE articles, mainly about the whole Guiding Hand Social Club incident/awesomeness from a while ago. Most articles read how EvE has a huge number of people consistently in character.... I played Eve for 2 weeks... couldn't get into it at all, but i think if i had some Roleplaying to do I could definately stick around for that and potentially even become good at them game, making me like its mechanics a little bit more.

So with that said, i don't think a majority of EvE is Roleplaying anymore cause i never came across it in my two weeks with the game. I could of been in some newb area i guess.... but is Roleplaying a thing of the past in EvE? or will I find it if i come back?

Thanks!

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

In EvE, roleplaying is less saying "Good morrow, noble knight; wither goest thou this fine morn?" and more doing stuff that an immortal spaceship pilot in a cold, harsh and violent society would do.

Look at COAD. One the one hand you can see a bunch of baboons flinging feces, rocks and dead rats at each other. On the other hand you can see insults, propaganda, deception, aggession and politics pretty much exactly as one would expect if EvE were really true. You'll find that people talk "in character" - about fitting, fighting, flying and frying and buying spaceships - virtually all the time. People will talk about what alliances and corps and players are doing to each other in game exactly as if it were really happening. They are in character, but they're playing out Player Lore, not CCP's NPC background empire stuff.

On the other hand, there are what you would think of as roleplaying alliances - people who take the NPC lore stuff as their RP inspiration eg: Ushra Khan (Minmatar) CVA (Amarr), and probably several others. But they're a minority. 90% of EvE roleplay player-created stories.

PS If character names bother you or seem incongruous, think of them as HAM radio callsigns.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KevinKenobiKevinKenobi EVE CorrespondentMember Posts: 19

Yeah, CVA is a decently sized alliance and they're a bunch of roleplayers and they actively protect Providence like a police force would.

My corpmates call me a roleplayer because I hate Gallente ships and I fought for the Caldari in FW... lol.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

its interesting that CVA and UK have taken on lots of the aspects of the races that they represent. CVA actually act like an empire and UK acually are a pretty chaotic rag tag bunch of terrorists.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

UK have lost a lot of their bite when they decided to become a pet, though.

Generally, Eve players usually react allergic to anything forced to them by some arbitrary word-of-god. You don't need some fake "RP" if you have a living world where people generate all the roleplay you need.

• KevinKenobiKevinKenobi EVE CorrespondentMember Posts: 19
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Role playing is alive and well in EVE, but you won't see much of that in the new player areas.

Recommend you monitor this recruiting forum and look for RP corps advertising with new members.

www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp

Once you get hooked up with them I think you''ll be happier with your EVE experience.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by batolemaeus

UK have lost a lot of their bite when they decided to become a pet, though.

Jesus not this shit again. At least you're not calling us renters like so many provipets like to do. If you think that we're now weaker than we were when we based in curse I think you should ask SSI, Sylph, and H4X0R about that. For the first time in its history UK is up to over 1000 members and kicking some serious ass.

Apparently we arent allowed to have allies, that makes us "pets". Go on bat, what alliance are you in?

Originally posted by Xennith
    Apparently we arent allowed to have allies, that makes us "pets".

Not if you bitch and moan about other people having close allies, then become a pet of a huge political block but still try to keep the facade of the "underdog".

You are hypocrites.

judge me on what I say and do. please point out where i have said these things?
    also please point out how us "blobbing up" has defanged us and made us pets. im sorry that we're not fighting how you would like us to, but unfortunatly we dont live to please you by trying to fight an unwinnable war on our own.

You don't need some fake "RP" if you have a living world where people generate all the roleplay you need.

agreed, as you can see from this thread, the politics gets quite deep especially when talking to an ex MM with amarr victor in his bio.

Originally posted by Xennith
    amarr victor

Sinner ;)

Well we in The Initiative. have nothing but good to say about our Ushra Khan buddies.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

strange i have nothing to say about you at all... 

Originally posted by mutator

strange i have nothing to say about you at all...

thanks for sharing, who are you?

the only "mutators" i could find in game have both spent the last 3 years in NPC corps and have not run any missions, fufilled any contracts, nor have you appeared on the UK killboard or any public killboard that i could find. so im not really that surprised that you have nothing to say about much.

i dont use the name mutator on eve... i use clawblue or magicblue or magicbluie... dunno you gotta check which one it is... its been so long since i was on:( i am btw a miner not a fighter so i dont involve with battles:P 

i dont use the name mutator on eve... i use clawblue or magicblue or magicbluie... dunno you gotta check which one it is... its been so long since i was on:( i am btw a miner not a fighter so i dont involve with battles:P 

Then who cares about what you have to say about any alliances?

• gunnythokgunnythok Member Posts: 268

Yarr?

well i said i had nothing to say about it... 

well i said i had nothing to say about it... 

...and yet you said it anyway.

... are you trying to confuse me? if so you are almost doing a good job:P 

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

He is trying to confuse you... maybe.

Or maybe not.

well anyway between the time i posted that confuse message i startet the game again:P 

• MoodahMoodah Member Posts: 181

I find eve to be the easiest game to RP in, and probably the biggest chunk of playerbase does keep in character most of the times, from the simple reason that what you do in EVE universe does make a difference, so everything you do, it is very very hard to do it OOC except if you are not talking about your favorite TV show currently on.

Every time you are planning an op, mining a roid complaining how boring it is, cursing how someone screwed you over something, you are IC in eve ... it is natural and takes no effort, and thus it does not really need roleplaying initiatives by the players to get the other players to roleplay (RP guilds).

Every other game out there you exist in the artificial world, with no real influence on any outcome, so you can not create your story physicaly in game by taking certain actions, instead you are forced to try creating the "imaginary world within the imaginary world", because the "imaginary world" does not allow realising any imagination in the first place.

you hit the nail! stuff like wow and guild wars just cant try to compare to eve what so ever! especially the role play stuff!