Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is looking to be the #1 MMORPG ever in terms of subscribers

http://www.blizzard.com/press/011005.shtml

WORLD OF WARCRAFT® DOMINATES
HOLIDAY SALES IN <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 />NORTH AMERICA<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

Record-breaking massively multiplayer online RPG
garners unprecedented number of concurrent users in North America

IRVINE, Calif. - January 10, 2005 –Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft® has sold through more than 600,000* units to customers in North America, Australia, and New Zealand. The fastest-growing massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) has also shattered all previous concurrency records in North America, achieving over 200,000 simultaneous players during the holiday period.

"The public’s response to World of Warcraft has been simply amazing," said Mike Morhaime, president of Blizzard Entertainment. "We are very proud and excited to see such an overwhelming demand for the game, and we hope that the enthusiasm continues to build as we further enhance our online service."

Over this holiday season, demand for World of Warcraft was so great that retailers estimate that nearly all remaining supplies of the game sold out across North America, Australia, and New Zealand. To accommodate the increasing number of players eager to join World of Warcraft, Blizzard will be bringing several new servers online. After a short and successful testing period to ensure server stability, the company also plans to release additional units to retail outlets nationwide.

To support the growing population in World of Warcraft with regular content updates, Blizzard Entertainment is aggressively introducing new features on an ongoing basis. These updates will keep the game fresh and exciting, rewarding continuing subscribers with new experiences and enticing prospective players to join in even greater adventures.

Several features have already been introduced since the game's launch just over a month ago, and many more are planned for the lifetime of the game. In the near future, the promised Player-versus-Player (PvP) Battlegrounds, which will pit Alliance and Horde players against each other in a hotly-contested battlefield, as well as the PvP Reward System, will be revealed.

About World of Warcraft

In World of Warcraft, players assume the roles of legendary heroes and interact with thousands of other players online as they explore and adventure across a vast world. Whether journeying together or questing on their own, players will engage in heroic battles, develop friendships, forge alliances, and compete with enemies for power and glory. The game features customizable character classes with thousands of weapons, spells, and abilities. With an innovative, easy-to-use interface, an action-packed combat system, and thousands of quests that build an immersive storyline, World of Warcraft offers a MMORPG experience that will appeal to both veteran and casual players alike. For more information on the game, visit www.worldofwarcraft.com.

*Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners in North America.

Best known for their series Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo®, Blizzard Entertainment (www.blizzard.com, a division of Vivendi Universal Games) is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software renowned for creating many of the industry's most critically acclaimed games. The company's free Internet gaming service Battle.net® provides a forum in which owners of Blizzard's games can play in a multiplayer mode remotely across the Internet and against other gamers from around the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One can assume that once WoW goes retail in Europe/Asia, that 600k figure will double, if not triple making it the most played MMORPG ever.

Comments

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048
    The thread title, "
    WoW is looking to be the #1 MMORPG ever in terms of subscribers"

Is very decieving...What it should be is,
    WoW is looking to be the #1 MMORPG in terms of subscribers ever in NA

Death is not to fear; for it is not the end, but rather the beginning on the road to eternity.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

[quote]Originally posted by Lugnard

WORLD OF WARCRAFT® DOMINATES HOLIDAY SALES IN NORTH AMERICA
    Record-breaking massively multiplayer online RPGgarners unprecedented number of concurrent users in North America

IRVINE, Calif. - January 10, 2005 –Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft® has sold through more than 600,000* units to customers in North America, Australia, and New Zealand. The fastest-growing massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) has also shattered all previous concurrency records in North America, achieving over 200,000 simultaneous players during the holiday period.
    "The public’s response to World of Warcraft has been simply amazing," said Mike Morhaime, president of Blizzard Entertainment. "We are very proud and excited to see such an overwhelming demand for the game, and we hope that the enthusiasm continues to build as we further enhance our online service."
    Over this holiday season, demand for World of Warcraft was so great that retailers estimate that nearly all remaining supplies of the game sold out across North America, Australia, and New Zealand. To accommodate the increasing number of players eager to join World of Warcraft, Blizzard will be bringing several new servers online. After a short and successful testing period to ensure server stability, the company also plans to release additional units to retail outlets nationwide.
    To support the growing population in World of Warcraft with regular content updates, Blizzard Entertainment is aggressively introducing new features on an ongoing basis. These updates will keep the game fresh and exciting, rewarding continuing subscribers with new experiences and enticing prospective players to join in even greater adventures.
    Several features have already been introduced since the game's launch just over a month ago, and many more are planned for the lifetime of the game. In the near future, the promised Player-versus-Player (PvP) Battlegrounds, which will pit Alliance and Horde players against each other in a hotly-contested battlefield, as well as the PvP Reward System, will be revealed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One can assume that once WoW goes retail in Europe/Asia, that 600k figure will double, if not triple making it the most played MMORPG ever.

Wow Kudos to Blizzard... I have to say the game really is good but wow I really didn't expect this...

Click Here --->Just one of those days<--- Click Here
    What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

Originally posted by Aldaron
    The thread title, "

Actually the title was right because WoW is already the #1 MMORPG in NA and is headed toward becoming the #1 MMORPG worldwide once it opens to Europe & Asia.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Thats nice. I doubt it will hold half that many subscribers in years to come.

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Originally posted by Lugnard

Actually the title was right because WoW is already the #1 MMORPG in NA and is headed toward becoming the #1 MMORPG worldwide once it opens to Europe & Asia.

If it can pull off another million. That's possibly true.(I don't have the exact numbers of the currect subscribers of the Lineage games so...)

Although I strongly doubt it.

Death is not to fear; for it is not the end, but rather the beginning on the road to eternity.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Sorry, you can't beat Lineage nor Lineage II in the amount of subscribers worldwide.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by Orcc
    Thats nice. I doubt it will hold half that many subscribers in years to come.image

I love how certain people have finally realised they can't deny that WoW is totally dominating the MMORPG genre, so they've started clinging to the hope that it'll die out or fail in some way.

The game isn't even complete. I've always been the first person to say that. It needs Battlegrounds and a PvP honor system. But even as an incomplete MMORPG, WoW is just blatantly steamrollering the entire genre.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

No MMORPG is COMPLETE.

So you're statement there is flawed.

• PasomattPasomatt Member Posts: 221

Lineage 2 has 1.5 million subscribers, and Lineage 1 has 2.3 million.

So yeah, another million and a half and blizzard would have it.

Originally posted by Xzaro
    No MMORPG is COMPLETE.So you're statement there is flawed.

Now you're just clutching at straws, but I'll rephrase it for you anyway...

WoW needs to have Battlegrounds and a PvP honor system before it can start to realise its full potential, but even without these features it's leaving its nearest competitors in the dust.

• BendenBenden Member Posts: 103

Well, that's just amazing. Never thought that WoW could gather such a player base so fast.

I bet SOE is image

I'm not playing WoW and wont but i'm glad it worked well for Blizzard. Those guys know how to please gamers for sure. Another Blizzard best seller (too bad i hate warcraft 2 style lol. Maybe their next mmorpg will be based on Starcraft universe ).

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well article states over  600k units sold.This does not translate to having 600k customers going from the free month to pay status.

So the actual numbers that are now paying to play are not stated but I would not be suprised if it was above 400k .

However,it is the top of the bestseller of mmorpg ever in NA.

But like someone commented the big test is always Asia.Europe really is a pitful market for mmorpg as its not gone anywhere mainstream here(i am in europe).

Top atm is lineage with 2.5m so to be number 1 ever it needs to beat this.

Also have to remember lineage is an ancient mmorpg with devouted fans who have been playing for years.

Originally posted by hercules
    Well article states over  600k units sold.This does not translate to having 600k customers going from the free month to pay status.
    So the actual numbers that are now paying to play are not stated but I would not be suprised if it was above 400k .
    But like someone commented the big test is always Asia.Europe really is a pitful market for mmorpg as its not gone anywhere mainstream here(i am in europe).
    Also have to remember lineage is an ancient mmorpg with devouted fans who have been playing for years.

If you really believe that as many as one third of the people who bought WoW won't play after the first month then you either have a serious irrationally bitter vendetta against the game or you just haven't been paying attention.

Originally posted by firemagic

If you really believe that as many as one third of the people who bought WoW won't play after the first month then you either have a serious irrationally bitter vendetta against the game or you just haven't been paying attention.

The one with    a vendetta has always been you.

Talking about paying attention aren't you the one who went ranting without even knowing if EQ2 had 310k paying customers or sold 310k units.

At least I actually bother to read the articles before i post unlike  you.

And read my post before you comment i said i would not be suprised if more then 400k stayed.Which means i expect no less then 2/3 to stay and above can mean 599,999 if you did not know image

I have no way of saying how many continued to play.I gave a estimate of 2/3 and above which seems reasonable to me.

Someone like you might think it was 100% another can say 10% and i can't say any of this is right or wrong.

So read my post before ranting though you do have a chronic history of talking without even knowing what you say as seen in your previous postsimage

Anyhow GJ WoW.Good luck in europe and Asia.

Talking about paying attention aren't you the one who went ranting without even knowing if EQ2 had 310k paying customers or sold 310k units.
    At least I actually bother to read the articles before i post unless you.

As I explained in the thread you mention, I wasn't aware you were referring to an article as you didn't mention one. Of course you neglect to bring up this very important point, because otherwise you have nothing to say.

And read my post before you comment i said i would not be suprised if more then 400k stayed.Which means i expect no less then 2/3 to stay and above can mean 599,999 if you did not know image

What laughable garbage. It's one thing to twist the words of others, but to desperately twist your own words in order to try to keep your frail, dying attempt at an argument afloat isn't just embarrassing for you. You're making a fool of yourself.

I have no way of saying how many continued to play.I gave a estimate of 2/3 and above which seems reasonable to me.Someone like you might think it was 100% another can say 10% and i can't say any of this is right or wrong.
    So read my post before ranting though you do have a chronic history of talking without even knowing what you say as seen in your previous postsimage

If your post count dictated your worth as a human, you'd be in luck. As it is, you're out of luck.

At least I actually bother to read the articles before i post unless you.

As I explained in the thread you mention, I wasn't aware you were referring to an article as you didn't mention one. Of course you neglect to bring up this very important point, because otherwise you have nothing to say.

What laughable garbage. It's one thing to twist the words of others, but to desperately twist your own words in order to try to keep your frail, dying attempt at an argument afloat isn't just embarrassing for you. You're making a fool of yourself.

I have no way of saying how many continued to play.I gave a estimate of 2/3 and above which seems reasonable to me.

Someone like you might think it was 100% another can say 10% and i can't say any of this is right or wrong.

If your post count dictated your worth as a human, you'd be in luck. As it is, you're out of luck.

Er okimage

If maths is the problem for you can't be bothered to teach you.Usually any 10 year old knows above 2/3 can mean up to a whole.Only you seems to think above 2/3 means 2/3.

But hey not here to teach maths  just got to go back to class i guess and learn it.

Even if I did want to say 600k copies sold and it retained 1 person or 600,000 or more as they did not give the number to the exact figure you have no backing to say yes or no unless you have access to the blizzard account books.

I gave an estimate I feel comfortable with which is even too comfortable because I have said from 400k to above(again learn what above means).

At least you acknowledge your lack of attention  or lack  of reasoning concerning your rant on EQ2 image

Yeah I know I am a worthless human being ,homosexual and what else have you called me in the past?You insult so much its hard to believe .

Grow upimage

Whenever your argument falls apart, out comes this emoticon>>::::02::

Lost majority of the post on first click for some reason.

Anyhow there is no arguement as you are yet to show why you feel 400k and above is equals to 400k only and not greater then.

I can't be bothered to teach maths as i say.

Also you have no factsheets and at least I say its an opinon rather then a fact on the numbers .

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474
    The fact that WoW had 200k people playing simultaneously proves the current playerbase must be 600k+ That's 1/3 of the entire playerbase playing at THE SAME TIME... I've never heard of any MMORPG have that many people playing at the same time.

The fact that WoW had 200k people playing simultaneously proves the current playerbase must be 600k+ That's 1/3 of the entire playerbase playing at THE SAME TIME... I've never heard of any MMORPG have that many people playing at the same time.

Could be ,could be not.Its a brand new mmorpg and it is holiday period  so a good majority could be on at a specific prime time.

Brand new mmorpg tend to have a lot of people spending a lot of time on it.

Only other company to state numbers at same time over 100k was EQlive back in  dec 2000 with 120k at a prime time when its numbers were about 300k subs which is less then 1/3 .And that  is an old mmorpg even then at 2 years when many have winded down and spent less playing sessions.

Yep think 200k at  same time might be a record though lineage never gave any figures of number at same time but i would imagine with 2.5m it would have at least at some point more then 10% at same time.

Anyhow I am sure blizzard will release more numbers after it had its euro/asia release.

Edit-remembered it was dec 2000 that happened not 2001 because i was talking to server gm that day when he told me it seemed they gone above 100k mark that day.

• Pi--Pi-- Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Aldaron
    The thread title, "

Well, sure its "heading towards" becoming the #1 MMORPG in terms of subscribers, but still there is along way to top the +4million Lineage subscriptions. This doesn't come as a surpirse though, Blizzard makes the best games in the genres they work in, be it RTS(Starcraft), Action-RPG(Diablo 2), RTS/RPG(Warcraft 3) and finally MMORPG(WoW), games that have all sold in great numbers. With the release of WoW, many players from all these games bought the game, plus a whole deal of players from other MMORPG's looking for something new.

-Pi

-Pi

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Whenever your argument falls apart, out comes this emoticon>>::::02::

ahahahahahahahahah! i never get tired of reading your posts. im may find you a bit of a prick but your funny as hell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I suppose anyone who spends most of their time doing one thing has their head up their ass and if they do something that you enjoy but make money off it they must be evil.

But i bet if i wrote a song about my bitches sippin on my 40 and how i like to grind them then beat'm i'd be your hero and you'd give me your money?

-Copeland

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

i couldnt care less how many people are playing WoW....number of subscribers is no measure of quality, just hype and marketing...

it will be interesting to see the figures for actual subscriptions after 8 months

---sig---
    currently training 'hoping for more sci-fi mmorpgs' to level 5

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

Lineage 2 got 1.5 million of subscribers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L2>WoW

here : http://www.mmogchart.com/

• FaithRavenFaithRaven Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by binary_0011

Lineage 2 got 1.5 million of subscribers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    L2>WoW
    here : http://www.mmogchart.com/

WoW have only 600k subscribers because:

1) It wasn't released in Europe and Asia.

2) Blizzard curently don't send anymore copies to stores because they want first to setup more servers. Right now if your in NA its very hard to find a WoW copy in a store.

1 month after Asian and European releases WoW will have more than 2 milion subscribers.

Killer: 80%
    Achiever: 60%
    Explorer: 33%
    Socializer: 26%

Killer: 80%
    Achiever: 60%
    Explorer: 33%
    Socializer: 26%