Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paramore - so what do you think?

2»

Comments

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Ok Wtf, I'll put an end to this crap.

Enkindu, what is the point of talking about your professional music opion on the off-topic section of a MMO forum? I've never played a musical instrument or listened to a lot of music <90s. I enjoy listening to all sorts of music and I'll tell you straight up, only YOU and a very small proportion of society would call the bands a bunch of whining idiots. And even you know there's a lot less passion and a lot more money in music these days so perhaps you can't fully blame the bands nowadays, I dunno, I'm not a musician, I'm just a member of society.

Ok, and now the Guitar hero thing, Jesus. It's just a game people play for a laugh. Only an idiot would think being good in Guitar hero/rock band is anywhere near the accomplishment of playing a real guitar.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767
    Originally posted by Enkindu

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Don't be sorry. I didn't read your entire post for whatever reason; I had a long day yesterday and was out of my mind. I'll leave it up though as a reminder to myself to actually read through the entire post instead of skimming over it.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I got paramore tracks on my play list.  When it comes up, alot of times I mistaken it for Avril Lavigne.  I don't really think they sound too special.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098
    Originally posted by Man1ac

Enkindu, what is the point of talking about your professional music opion on the off-topic section of a MMO forum? I've never played a musical instrument or listened to a lot of music <90s. I enjoy listening to all sorts of music and I'll tell you straight up, only YOU and a very small proportion of society would call the bands a bunch of whining idiots. And even you know there's a lot less passion and a lot more money in music these days so perhaps you can't fully blame the bands nowadays, I dunno, I'm not a musician, I'm just a member of society.
    Ok, and now the Guitar hero thing, Jesus. It's just a game people play for a laugh. Only an idiot would think being good in Guitar hero/rock band is anywhere near the accomplishment of playing a real guitar.

The first post solicited opinions. I gave mine, with a little relevant criticism of stylistic trends I've seen in many bands over the past decade or so. Never said anyone had to agree, and I've responded the the personal insults in here just like I would in real life- with a grain of salt and a little humor.

What exactly are you putting an end to here? Discussion? People with ideas that bother you? I'm just expressing a point of view about something that's pretty important to me and a lot of other people.

Music and the arts in general have served as a sort of social conscience for many cultures over the centuries.. a sort of arena where people can speak the truth without fear of reprisal because it comes in the form of something that touches people directly. When that gets "sold out" it removes legitimacy from one of the last great systems of checks and balances that we have. I'm trying to think of a good analogy that might help clarify it for you...

I'm not religious in the conventional sense, but I would imagine the catholics in the world would be a little pissed if the Pope decided to turn the Vatican into a theme park to raise a few bucks... put a las vegas style roller coaster around the dome of St. Peter's Basilica. Well, when you take a great song and put it into a video game like "guitar hero" or push out some craptastic soulless arrangement for the drones on american Idol, you are messing with something sacred. I respect that you do not see it this way, and I certainly will not tell anyone what to think.

But tell me this- once you have commercialized the creative process what do you have left? That's what rock and roll was ABOUT. REFUSING to sell out. Demanding the truth regardless of how ugly or painful it was. Those are the ideals that music holds for me, and when you see that honesty it resonates. That's why it makes me sick to see people "whining" thier songs. Where else are you gonna find truth in the world? Politicians? Big business? Organized religion?

No way man. Dylan, Lennon, Stephen Stills, Cash, Springsteen, Niel Young.. and on and on. For me anyway.

One of the things that I don't get is that back when I was your age I had a hell of a lot of respect for the music that was "old" to me. I listened to everything from Woodie Guthrie to Benny Goodman on my dad's records. First time I heard Hendrix was on a reel-to-reel that my dad made hiding under his bunk in long bihn during the tet offensive. Greatness and passion isn't something that changes from generation to generation- hell go crank up Vivaldi or an aria from the Marriage of Figaro and it will still blow you out of the water.

So now you come bitching at me because I'm being too critical about this lack of passion and integrity? My question for you is why the hell isn't YOUR generation demanding that truth and intensity? Forgot how? Too numb from countless hours bathed in the cathode glow of the internet? Too busy shoveling pointless shit into facetube and youbook? Just don't give a shit?

Don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm angry or even upset writing this.. if anything I'm curious and bemused. Maybe music just isn't the source for your generation. Maybe you guys are the next evolutionary step and people like me really are the dinosaurs. But tell me this- what the hell ARE you passionate about? Because I don't see ANY evidence of that flame that pushes people to be better than we think we can be. If you want to put an "end to my crap" you could do it quite effectively by explaining to me what you have that serves as your social conscience. Seriously, what MATTERS to you? I know it isn't music.. if it were YOU would be the one raising hell. Not me.

edit- put a "t" in stylistic

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I didn't think a whole lot about Janis when she was around but I've matured since then.  This is sangin'. Not that whining crap.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

The first post solicited opinions. I gave mine, with a little relevant criticism of stylistic trends I've seen in many bands over the past decade or so. Never said anyone had to agree, and I've responded the the personal insults in here just like I would in real life- with a grain of salt and a little humor.

What exactly are you putting an end to here? Discussion? People with ideas that bother you? I'm just expressing a point of view about something that's pretty important to me and a lot of other people.

Music and the arts in general have served as a sort of social conscience for many cultures over the centuries.. a sort of arena where people can speak the truth without fear of reprisal because it comes in the form of something that touches people directly. When that gets "sold out" it removes legitimacy from one of the last great systems of checks and balances that we have. I'm trying to think of a good analogy that might help clarify it for you...

I'm not religious in the conventional sense, but I would imagine the catholics in the world would be a little pissed if the Pope decided to turn the Vatican into a theme park to raise a few bucks... put a las vegas style roller coaster around the dome of St. Peter's Basilica. Well, when you take a great song and put it into a video game like "guitar hero" or push out some craptastic soulless arrangement for the drones on american Idol, you are messing with something sacred. I respect that you do not see it this way, and I certainly will not tell anyone what to think.

But tell me this- once you have commercialized the creative process what do you have left? That's what rock and roll was ABOUT. REFUSING to sell out. Demanding the truth regardless of how ugly or painful it was. Those are the ideals that music holds for me, and when you see that honesty it resonates. That's why it makes me sick to see people "whining" thier songs. Where else are you gonna find truth in the world? Politicians? Big business? Organized religion?

No way man. Dylan, Lennon, Stephen Stills, Cash, Springsteen, Niel Young.. and on and on. For me anyway.

One of the things that I don't get is that back when I was your age I had a hell of a lot of respect for the music that was "old" to me. I listened to everything from Woodie Guthrie to Benny Goodman on my dad's records. First time I heard Hendrix was on a reel-to-reel that my dad made hiding under his bunk in long bihn during the tet offensive. Greatness and passion isn't something that changes from generation to generation- hell go crank up Vivaldi or an aria from the Marriage of Figaro and it will still blow you out of the water.

So now you come bitching at me because I'm being too critical about this lack of passion and integrity? My question for you is why the hell isn't YOUR generation demanding that truth and intensity? Forgot how? Too numb from countless hours bathed in the cathode glow of the internet? Too busy shoveling pointless shit into facetube and youbook? Just don't give a shit?

Don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm angry or even upset writing this.. if anything I'm curious and bemused. Maybe music just isn't the source for your generation. Maybe you guys are the next evolutionary step and people like me really are the dinosaurs. But tell me this- what the hell ARE you passionate about? Because I don't see ANY evidence of that flame that pushes people to be better than we think we can be. If you want to put an "end to my crap" you could do it quite effectively by explaining to me what you have that serves as your social conscience. Seriously, what MATTERS to you? I know it isn't music.. if it were YOU would be the one raising hell. Not me.

edit- put a "t" in stylistic

Tbh, I think someone else needs to respond to you. I only have about 500 songs in my music library and I've never been to a concert....lol.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Ok, I'm bored and doing laundry and now I'm on a crusade.
    Here's a link to a performance by the first artist that came to mind when I saw the video in the OP:
    www.youtube.com/watch
    The video and audio quality are terrible but that can't hide the raw intensity in this clip.  It's a song Patty Griffin wrote, and you can tell when she sings it.  To me this is just as much rock and roll as enter sandman, smells like teen spirit, or shoot to thrill.  Fearless, honest, intense, but precisely controlled.  If you know what I'm talking about you might understand what is missing for me in that first clip.
    That girl has a voice, but she'd missing about 85% of what it takes to make great music.

I think I know what you're saying...

There is an artificial feel to her performance, as if her singing is technically correct but it lacks heart and soul?  In short, it looks like she is play acting?

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

Tbh, I think someone else needs to respond to you. I only have about 500 songs in my music library and I've never been to a concert....lol.

No worries man.  It's all about trading ideas, and everyone comes from someplace different. 

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

Originally posted by Wickersham

Ok, I'm bored and doing laundry and now I'm on a crusade.
    Here's a link to a performance by the first artist that came to mind when I saw the video in the OP:
    www.youtube.com/watch
    The video and audio quality are terrible but that can't hide the raw intensity in this clip.  It's a song Patty Griffin wrote, and you can tell when she sings it.  To me this is just as much rock and roll as enter sandman, smells like teen spirit, or shoot to thrill.  Fearless, honest, intense, but precisely controlled.  If you know what I'm talking about you might understand what is missing for me in that first clip.
    That girl has a voice, but she'd missing about 85% of what it takes to make great music.

I think I know what you're saying...

There is an artificial feel to her performance, as if her singing is technically correct but it lacks heart and soul?  In short, it looks like she is play acting?

Yeah that's pretty much it.  Who knows, maybe they were nervous doing a live radio gig.  At some point I want to have a sense that an artist is so completely focused that they forget about who's watching and just go for it.

There's a great old song that says "you got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt... dance like there's nobody watching.. it's got to come from the heart if you want it to work." 

What can I say... I just love music, and love makes you crazy sometimes.  It's really not fair of me to expect that same level of passion for music in other people.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I wish her more success and think she will get even better in time.  She does need to get better band members or have them train better,  there are way too many disposable bands now a days, the industry doesn't care about these people, they just want a couple good albums to make them cash then the kick them to the curb and find the next kids to exploit.

hopefully she doesn't end up another one of these groups.  

There's just not a lot of long lasting groups around anymore, they break up after so many albums, their solo albums usually suck arse, they try to get back together and fail.   I blame part this on the people, always screaming about innovation when everything has pretty much been done already and twisted to death already, i see the same thing with MMO's...omg make something new!! *game company comes up with some neat ideas*   people "OMG! i seen this in X game, you fail!!! your not getting my cash!!!!"  

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

all the people who are haters.. what the hell do u consider good music then? loud screamo rock with zero singing ability? at least linkin park singer actually can sing.. and they play instruments.. what the hell is there to hate?

unless ur the typical white guy who just hates anything thats popular and claim ur crap is good when nobody likes it... i dont get it.. probably wears leather to look cool even tho ur super weak with no athletic ability.. probably can't dance

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

I love people who claim to be these music conneseurs then in the same breath call good bands in a genre they don't like bad.

She is an incredibly talented girl. The band has had great success and quite frankly if you can't tell one "screamo" or "whiney" song from the other, why the hell do you think anybody cares what your opinion is; You just explained that you can't tell one from the other, thats like a guy telling you he's colourblind and thinks your paintings are boring cause they're all black and white.

FYI: I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I do own a lot of Paramore's music. I'm a sucker for female punk/ska vocalists (mostly since they are so rare) and to find one that can actually sing is quite a treat for me.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• reikaleereikalee Member Posts: 79

She's good, but I think I prefer Lacey Mosley from Flyleaf.

I am simply myself, no more and no less. And I only want to be free.

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

I like two of their songs...

Despite not really being a fan in general, I think she has such a great voice.. her tone is amazing.. way better than Amy Lee. She gives me a headache.. I actually don't like her voice haha

But I really like ..umm... that Crush one.

• AimieAimie Member Posts: 9

Paramore is the rock/pop band that is one of my favorite.. I Like Hayley Williams voice rather than other singers her voice has an orginality that once you heard that voice you know that it's paramore.

• UshibaruUshibaru Member Posts: 65

well for me paramore is good.

I like the acoustic version of misery business and hailey looks cool. she rocks ^^

• tutubitutubi Member Posts: 47

back to the first post, no doubt used to be a good ska band. not that great but they dont suck either. i guess its fair to compare them to paramore since theyve gone commercial... i think paramore is just one of the bands that was manufactured by the recording companies for commercial purposes. music is not good at all... much like all of the boybands..

• UshibaruUshibaru Member Posts: 65

they're not the best but hailey's voice is unique for me.. i like the way she sings!! she's still rocks!!!!