Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

StarCraft II pushed back.

dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339

I just read this on Yahoo.com that StarCraft II and a few other games wont be coming out this year as expected. :(  

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/the-great-game-delay-of-2010-six-potential-pushbacks/1359357

Comments

• solistussolistus Member Posts: 10

This isn't a new delay.  That article was just pointing out that Blizzard still hasn't set a release date, which means it's almost certainly not coming out this holiday season.  This was already fairly obvious - Blizzard typically has an open beta of a couple months at least before launch, and no open beta has even been announced yet for SC2.  "Probably sometime in 2010" is as good a prediction as anyone can offer.  If progress leaps ahead on D3 or their unannounced new MMO, things could change further.

• DarkJedi007DarkJedi007 Member Posts: 14

Hahah classic Blizzard of course. Their games constantly get delayed so I'm not surprised. I remember when I first bought StarCraft, the box had a pamphlet that said Diablo 2 was coming out later that year. Diablo didn't get released until 2 years after StarCraft was hahah. While it's sad to hear that Blizzard is pushing back SC2, considering their track record, I'm sure it's for the best and that SC2 will just be that much more awesome as they put more time and effort into it.

I am however a bit upset that one of the reasons that SC2 took so long to be developed was because a lot of the developers were pulled off the project to help with WoW. I know this is a MMORPG forum, but I can't help but feel that WoW is really screwing with some of Blizzards other IP's. Regardless SC2 and Diablo 3 are definetely on my top to be watched lists as next year turns around and these games are closer to release. If they count me in beta for SC2 all the better!

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Personally i would rather it got delayed a bit more as in the end it will mean a more polished game.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I believe the game is ready but delay is due to battlenet. Wonder why Blizz will make such a decision to scrap lan support, angering thousands of fans...

RIP Orc Choppa

• DemonykDemonyk Member Posts: 3

I don't think its entirely surprising that we haven't seen the game release this year, this is blizzard after all, and they do like to take their time.

As far as battlenet and lan support are concerned, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them quietly put LAN support back into the game if not at release, then some time afterwards.

• AlwaysRemAlwaysRem Member Posts: 7

Removing lan support is an anti-piracy move. Like 90% of anti-piracy techniques employed by companies, it only serves to hurt legitamate customers and doesn't dissuade genuine pirating so i'm not sure why they do such things.

Starcraft will be impossible to play multiplayer without connecting online directly to battle.net so they can confirm your valid and unique CD keys.

It hurts the honest player more than the pirate but blizzard has become more about profits than actual customer service or even relating to their consumers anymore. I have loved that company for years, since the original games Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and the original Diablo, etc. They basically revolutionized gaming every time they put something out, but the bigger and richer they get, seems like their quality is slipping.

I'm not ready to give up on them just yet, but I am more wary of them now than I ever have been and it is kind of painful to see a company i've loved and respected for so long start becoming so... I don't know, greed oriented I guess at the expense of customer satisfaction.

And yeah, the game is prettymuch done already, the delay is exclusively for battlenet as someone already said, but like I said you can't play multiplayer at all now without their new upgraded battlenet so they can't release it without multiplayer.

• ginaedrapaginaedrapa Member Posts: 1

Hard to get pissed at Blizzard though, they do it to ensure their product is absolute gold.

gina edrapa

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the official Blizzard response from Aug 5, 2009

forums.battle.net/thread.html

Today we announced that StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will not be ready for release by the end of 2009. Over the past couple of weeks, it has become clear that it will take longer than expected to prepare the new Battle.net for the launch of the game. The upgraded Battle.net is an integral part of the StarCraft II experience and will be an essential part of all of our games moving forward. This extra development time will be critical to help us realize our vision for the service.

Our mission is to develop games that deliver an epic entertainment experience. As part of that commitment, we will always take as much time as needed to ensure that our games and services meet the expectations of our players and the standard for quality that we set for ourselves as developers.

As we work to make Battle.net the premier online gaming destination, we’ll also continue to polish and refine StarCraft II, and we look forward to delivering a real-time strategy gaming experience worthy of the series’ legacy in the first half of 2010.