Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pretty clever idea if you ask me

Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

I've never watched Star Trek myself, except for that funny as hell fight scene on youtube. But I know it has a huge fanbase and I think it's a great idea by Cryptic. I might check the game out when it comes out if GW2 is a disappointment, what do you guys think?   

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Comments

• RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66

Try both. I mean GW2 isn't going to do subscription fees anyway, so can't lose anything by it. They're both worlds-apart in terms of style (fantasy / sci-fi) so it might be a nice duality no? Alternating between the two depending on your mood =D

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

My vote is for GW2, hands down.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I would also suggest both as Guild Wars 2 shouldn't have a sub fee anyways. This would definitely give you a good bit of diversity depending on your mood during any given play session and would only cost you one subscription. If GW is any indication GW 2 should be a great game and STO is shaping up nicely so far although it's still to early to tell for sure. I would say try both and if you like them continue to play both. It's a win win scenario.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• soassoas Member Posts: 14

I will probably try STO first due to the long history and fan base of the series.

• KinneasKinneas Member Posts: 29

What is this...Guild Wars...thing?

j/k

• HythianHythian Member Posts: 7

I'll probably play GW2 for the same reason I played GW, the occasional fun PvP itch in need of scratching.

But as a full game and time-sink, it'll be STO all the way for me.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Hythian

I'll probably play GW2 for the same reason I played GW, the occasional fun PvP itch in need of scratching.
    But as a full game and time-sink, it'll be STO all the way for me.

Same boat, I am so hyped for this game I can't wait, however GW2 will be a buy just because I love what it will have. But STO will be my overall time sink and I hope for years to come!

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• longshotskylongshotsky Member Posts: 5

I'd also recommend both -- they're apples and oranges, as other posters have mentioned. I haven't tried the original Guild Wars, but what I'm seeing of Guild Wars 2 looks very promising. Star Trek Online also looks phenomenal, and in my opinion has more potential for long-term gameplay investment. Since only STO involves (as far as we can tell) a traditional subscription model, you really don't lose anything by having GW2 for the action and STO for the holistic experience.

• KhorolKhorol Member Posts: 8

Man1ac:

I'd honestly say try both. Then when you realize that STO > GW2 you'll be welcome here :)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Khorol

Man1ac:

I'd honestly say try both. Then when you realize that STO > GW2 you'll be welcome here :)

I really wouldn't go as far as to say one is going to be better than the other as they will be totally different experiences. If anything they should complement each other as they will give you choices dependent on your mood during any given play session. GW2 will give you a good fantasy based experience whereas STO will fill the need for compelling science fiction. They can coexist quite easily as they are as different as night and day. Also only having to pay one sub to play both helps.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• OsiasOsias Member Posts: 14

Yeah i'm in agreeance. Try both, either you'll like em both and keep playing or you'll dislike one and gravitate to the other.

Personally STO is my priority when it comes to purchasing, i'm really looking forward to it. That being said though Everything i've seen for GW2 looks amazing and if it really doesn't require subs I may pick up a copy as well.

Variety in gaming is Key to enjoyment and happiness !

• DominatamDominatam Member Posts: 4

The games will be very different, so that should make the decision easier.

For me, I've been waiting for a good space game for a while (not a spreadsheet game that happens to be set in space :p), so I'll probably be chosing STO.  Most of what I've seen so far looks very appealing, I just hope they get all that economy stuff sorted out.

• SprenonSprenon Member Posts: 13

I suggest you try them both and play the one you like the best.

• law573law573 Member UncommonPosts: 89

I think STO has a ton of potential. Hope to see you there.

You are playing a video game. By definition that means you are not hardcore.

• NongeNonge Member Posts: 28

I agree with other posters: try both. Don't have much to lose . . .

• sdgdsdgd Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Raltar

My vote is for GW2, hands down.

I have never met a free MMO that didn't disappoint me. Free tends to mean they cut corners in development and they run a support team of less than a skeleton crew after release.

GW2 may not disappoint. I will give it a chance. I'm just saying that I'm not getting my hopes up before release.

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

Im going to try both. STO will be my main and GW2 will be something to breakup slow times for me.

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!