Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

...So whats nvidias newest card?

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I was thinking about buying a nvidia 9800 gx2 over my 8800 GTS , But then I heard about the Geforce 100 series, then then Geforce 200 series.

I was wondering what a NEAR TOP (but not top) video card to get would be.  I use an Asus P5Q motherboard, so if its supported by the motherboard too, that would be great to know.

-------------------------

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ifr i recall it a 295 or close to that 

big mfk tho if you dont use os 64 bit version you ll hate it

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Best bang for the buck right now would probley be ATI 4870 or 4890, as far as nvidia goes id probley say 260 gtx or 275 gtx, I have a MSI 260 GTX oc atm. good card but nvidia been really crapy with drivers now for months so im saving up for ati's new DX11 card eather a 5870 or 5850

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I'm assuming that means that The 275 gtx is better then the nvidia 8800 GTS right?

And, is it compatible with the P5Q motherboard?

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

a 275 will stomp the hell out of your 8800gts. i think the 275 generally out performs the 280... which is why they released the 285. the 295 is there top of the line, but thats a dual gpu card... and a lot more cash then any of the rest.  if your trying to save money, and still go with nvidia, the 260s with the 216 core, are damn good for the price. though, ati has the performance per dollar pretty much secured, now that they released the 5870s, the 4870 and 4890 came down a lot.

oh! does your pq5 have pci-express or agp for graphics? i'm assuming it has pci-express..... i can't remember if nvidia released agp 8000 series.... i know ati has been supporting agp for longer.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Yea, right now ATI is winning every category in price verse performance.  However, if you are dead set on nVidia then I would wait for them to lower their prices in response to ATIs HD5870 and the lowering of the HD4xxx's.  They have to lower the cost of the GTX285 to $199 for competitiveness.  Also the cost on the GTX 295 has to drop below the price of 2-HD4870's, which is below $300.

nVidia stopped supporting AGP some time ago, definetly before the 8XXX.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Im thinking the nvidia card, simply because its the same as what I got and I am aware of how it works.. (and im not paying for it.. hehe)

However, you said that the drivers for the 2xx nvidia cards had bad support?  Do you mean the drivers are bad and cause constant blue screens, or do you mean that they cause lag / minidumps?

or, if its really not that bad, just let me know.

• DarkJedi007DarkJedi007 Member Posts: 14

nVidia is supposed to come out with the GT300 sometimes later this year. The card is plagued by delays and setbacks by the architecture of the chipset. Rumor has it that the silicon fabrication plants that were supposed to be creating prototype gt300 chips for nvidia to test were returning under 7% yields. The card that they recently showed at one of their conferences is also reputed to be a fake non-working card, despite the fact that they explicitly stated otherwise during their 'unveiling'. All this probably means that the GT300 chip is unlikely to come out any time soon and it will probably take until at least the end of the year or even next year to get acceptable chips for card manufacturers to start selling.

Best bang for your buck right now is the 4870. You can even crossfire them and get amazing framerates in most games that are out right now. The 5870 just got released which means it's at it's early adopter pricing right now, meant to gouge the most hardcore enthusiasts of their hardearned cash because they are the ones that absolutely can't wait and must have the best card right now. For people like me that are a little more cost conscious, I'm going to have to wait until the gt300 comes out until we can probably see a significant price drop in the ATi HD5870. There's a chance that it won't go down at all, especially if the gt300 proves to be disappointing in benchmarks. I doubt this will be the case however, so I'll be waiting for a while until I drop a couple hundred on a new graphics card.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by DarkJedi007
    For people like me that are a little more cost conscious, I'm going to have to wait until the gt300 comes out until we can probably see a significant price drop in the ATi HD5870. There's a chance that it won't go down at all, especially if the gt300 proves to be disappointing in benchmarks. I doubt this will be the case however, so I'll be waiting for a while until I drop a couple hundred on a new graphics card.

I don't think any prices on dx11 parts are gonna be dropping due to the gt300 release.. Nvidia will be wanting to price it high to cover the more expensive large die they are using compared to the 5870 so they should be more than happy to price their 5870 equiv at $20 above the 5870, and their 5870 killer at ~$150 above it, so ATI won't have any reason to lower the price right away.. at least that's how I see it going. The 285 and such will probably get pushed down a bit though.

So, the Asus P5Q apparently supports Crossfire and not SLI, so you may want to look into getting a Radeon 5850.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Originally posted by NagelFire

Im thinking the nvidia card, simply because its the same as what I got and I am aware of how it works.. (and im not paying for it.. hehe)
    However, you said that the drivers for the 2xx nvidia cards had bad support?  Do you mean the drivers are bad and cause constant blue screens, or do you mean that they cause lag / minidumps?
    or, if its really not that bad, just let me know.

BSOD with some games, issues with clock rates not going up and not lowering with 3d apps are enabled, duel monitor issie hdmi issue. issue with forcing aa in games list goes on. Dont get me wrong I love Nvidia but here lately there drivers havent been the greatest.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138

The best Nvidia "bang for your buck" card to me is the gtx 260.  It's what I upgraded to from my old 7900 gt and WOW what a difference.  Here is the exact card i got: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

On another note.  Make sure your case can house this card or any of the 200 series cards for that matter as they are quite long.  I had to move my hard drive and plug it into a different sata port to fit the card.

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

• marshviperxmarshviperx Member Posts: 2