Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solo won't actually be solo

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Dam this is a major turn off for me in GW2. We still need NPCs to solo. dag man

Comments

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

Companions are a feature in Guild Wars 2. Companions will have customisability similar to the Heroes of the original Guild Wars game series. Players will be allowed to bring a single companion with them, who will not take up a party slot. When a player chooses not to bring a companion, their character will instead be buffed so that they will not be disadvantaged by not bringing a companion.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by Gennadios

Companions are a feature in Guild Wars 2. Companions will have customisability similar to the Heroes of the original Guild Wars game series. Players will be allowed to bring a single companion with them, who will not take up a party slot. When a player chooses not to bring a companion, their character will instead be buffed so that they will not be disadvantaged by not bringing a companion.

I hate when people don't read, like the OP.  This quote was in an interview.  Granted there are scant few details, but grasping at straws is silly.

I like the option of having something to help. Especially if you are a healer/support class.

• thafireballthafireball Member Posts: 200

People only read what they want to read and hear what they want to hear...this is why you get people flipping their shit over something that is only partially correct.  If someone would take the time and read and comprehend what was said it would cut down on stupid posts like these.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

[QUOTE]

Mike O’Brien: I can’t directly answer your question because we really haven’t announced what we’re doing with companions this time around. One thing I will say is that companions, pets and minions is a very active area of development. Some people have been publishing articles assuming that things we talked about early on back in 2007 about the companion system is a canonical companion system so that’s how it’s going to work in Guild Wars 2. That’s something that we are actively working on and doing a lot of design on as we speak so I’m sure there will be a lot of iteration of how that works before we make any announcements on it.

[Quote]

[QUOTE]

Solo is too lonely

(IT-2) You will be able to play Guild Wars 2 on your own. You'll have the possibility of leaving other players out in the rain, and go out and explore with AI-henchmen and/or your Companion.
    (which means Solo won't actually be solo?) This last NPC is comparable with "Heroes" from GW1, with one difference; it doesn't take up a partyslot, which means there's more room for real players. Because even though you will be able to finish the game with just NPC's perfectly fine, there will be some MMO-challenges which require players to work together. The makers of the game are planning to implement a so-called sidekick-system comparable to the one used in City of Heroes. This system will level the playing field for players with a higher level and lower level to allow them to play together. Comes in handy if you want to play with a friend but he just hasn't put that much into it as you have and he doesn't feel like getting chopped to pieces. Whichever way you play, everyone will start at the same level. Because of the way the game works, you won't be able to take your Guild Wars 1 character and play it in Guild Wars 2. You can, however, reserve your name and above all, the 'Hall of Monuments' will pay tribute to your achievements in the original Guild Wars and give you unique rewards accordingly. The precise details are yet to be revealed.

• dynamo122dynamo122 Member Posts: 162

This doesn't imply no REAL soloing at all. It just says you have the OPTION to use henchies if you *really* want to.

So now we have:

- Option to play with henchies

- Option to play alone

- Option to play with friends

The more the merrier right?

Originally posted by dynamo122

This doesn't imply no REAL soloing at all. It just says you have the OPTION to use henchies if you *really* want to.
    So now we have:
    - Option to play alone

That was towards the first Quote.

That info is old. THe new info says no true Soloing

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by tro44_1

So now we have:
    - Option to play alone

Dude I don't know why you would have a problem with using henchmen, seriously do you really want to take on a Guild wars lvl 30 boss alone? And what's with this "true soloing" you keep yammering on about, doesn't make any sense to me. The quote you posted earlier clearly identifies 3 options and the guys who commented before that have mentioned something that is very recent (I know because I read it only a 2-3 weeks ago) so please don't tell me there's a fire when there's no smoke.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

So now we have:
    - Option to play alone

Dude I don't know why you would have a problem with using henchmen, seriously do you really want to take on a Guild wars lvl 30 boss alone? And what's with this "true soloing" you keep yammering on about, doesn't make any sense to me. The quote you posted earlier clearly identifies 3 options and the guys who commented before that have mentioned something that is very recent (I know because I read it only a 2-3 weeks ago) so please don't tell me there's a fire when there's no smoke.

That Lvl 30 Boss, could be Group fight. but not the whole game. I dont want to drag aropund a RP NPC. I want to RP with my own toon as I explore the world.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

[QUOTE]
    Mike O’Brien: I can’t directly answer your question because we really haven’t announced what we’re doing with companions this time around. One thing I will say is that companions, pets and minions is a very active area of development. Some people have been publishing articles assuming that things we talked about early on back in 2007 about the companion system is a canonical companion system so that’s how it’s going to work in Guild Wars 2. That’s something that we are actively working on and doing a lot of design on as we speak so I’m sure there will be a lot of iteration of how that works before we make any announcements on it.
    [Quote]
    [QUOTE]
    Solo is too lonely

(IT-2) You will be able to play Guild Wars 2 on your own. You'll have the possibility of leaving other players out in the rain, and go out and explore with AI-henchmen and/or your Companion.
    (which means Solo won't actually be solo?) This last NPC is comparable with "Heroes" from GW1, with one difference; it doesn't take up a partyslot, which means there's more room for real players. Because even though you will be able to finish the game with just NPC's perfectly fine, there will be some MMO-challenges which require players to work together. The makers of the game are planning to implement a so-called sidekick-system comparable to the one used in City of Heroes. This system will level the playing field for players with a higher level and lower level to allow them to play together. Comes in handy if you want to play with a friend but he just hasn't put that much into it as you have and he doesn't feel like getting chopped to pieces. Whichever way you play, everyone will start at the same level. Because of the way the game works, you won't be able to take your Guild Wars 1 character and play it in Guild Wars 2. You can, however, reserve your name and above all, the 'Hall of Monuments' will pay tribute to your achievements in the original Guild Wars and give you unique rewards accordingly. The precise details are yet to be revealed.

Ah. More copy/pasta. Hopefully it'll net you a few more positive rep points from our mods, who just don't seem to read posts or care all that much.

Quote 1: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/74119/page/4

Quote 2: Narojis Gw2Guru article <- Interesting, eve the (which means Solo won't actually be solo?) comment wasn't your own. 

As a little hint, try to actually give some background info on the sh** you post so people actually have an idea of where you're coming from, instead of just heaping ucontextless info in as some kind of conclusive proof.

The quote is a direct source that tells you that the system is incomplete and we don't know specifics.

The second quote is an a fan-made (ie - not professionally done) translation of a Danish article that may be one of those articles that Mike O'Brien accused of  "... publishing articles assuming that things we talked about early on back in 2007 about the companion system is a canonical companion system so that’s how it’s going to work in Guild Wars 2." It's pure conjecture in other words.

P.S. If you really want to solo, Aion is currently out. Supposedly it's really popular /w the 12 year old demographic.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Let's approarch this from a different angel. In GW you had to use henchman/heroes, which worked well because the game world was entirely instanced. After playing other games that implement a persistent world I must admit that a world filled with players being followed around by a group of henchman, or even a single companion will look odd. :) Like it or no, persistence changes a lot of things. In this brave new world groups can be formed anywhere at any time so it makes sense to me that being solo has the better feel to it.  Why do we need henchman/heroes/companions at all?

• 1niceone11niceone1 Member Posts: 29

The henchmen/heroes/companion system is in to create variety, you play how you want to, be that alone or in a group of friends or NPCs. One of the heavily criticized elements of GW was the lack of solo play, it generally meant that your hero felt less important and "free". The new GW will be made up of a majority of persistent play which ultimately means it will be geared much more towards solo play. The interview where it was implied that solo play isn't really solo is taken from old information. The plethora of other interviews contradict it which suggests that there will be available "real" solo play. The whole mentality of Guild Wars 2 is giving the players what they want. They created Guild Wars 2 as a whole new game simply because they wanted to go about and do things right, learning from their mistakes. OP don't panic, it's not the end of the world.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

If you want to play alone, play a single player game or a f2p mmo 

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

If you want to play alone, play a single player game or a f2p mmo 

Uh GW2 is a F2P game. :)

It's not about playing alone. It's about being tied down with the annoying henchman and and heroes.  I am a huge fan of GW but after playing other games since I must admit I don't miss henchies, and never liked the heroes.  Removing these elements from the game will go a long way to encouraging group play for group content.

• BeartosserBeartosser Member UncommonPosts: 94

Will solo players be able to progress their characters at end game, or will they run into the type of glass ceiling they encounter with WoW?

Originally posted by Beartosser

Will solo players be able to progress their characters at end game, or will they run into the type of glass ceiling they encounter with WoW?

So far the Alpha leaks, show that it will be both.

You can play and progress solo at end game like in WoW, but PvE end game is all mostly group game play.

PvP also supports Solo gameplay. But in this area, Grouped fighting would be more succesful, like in WoW, were the a group will be more easier at attacking Lake Wintergrasp Keeps and attacking a city, then a Single player, (even though a single player could still target kill in a slow progessing fasion)

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

So now we have:
    - Option to play alone

And you care so much because? It is supposed to be an MMO after all. That means massive amounts of players online at the same time. To think a game would be dedicated so that  you dont have to interact with a single person in an MMO game is just kind of stupid and silly. Thats what Single Player rpgs are for. In those games you dont have to interact with a single person, you can play as casual as you like and you get the bonus of being able to save and reload. The fact they even took the step where you can limit your interaction with a bunch of computer personalities has allready taken the game too far in the wrong direction in my personal opinion. Although I am guessing the main point of the game will still be the arena style pvp combat in which case throwing a bone to the pve'ers is all right.

Overall though I am not yet convinced this will be a good game yet. Too little info and so many publishers have royally screwed up sequels in the past by totally changing the focus of the new game and ignoring what made the first game succesfull. Since the game wont be out in the next six months regardless I can wait to find out more.