Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pen and paper D&D online, does it exist?

SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

So i was just wondering if the pen and paper version of dungeons and dragons could be played online somehow, wouldn't be as much fun, but I'd still really like to know since i can only play the real version once in three weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131

I'm told there're still plenty of MUDs around. Would be surprised if one of them weren't a D&D... Don't have a link for you, but try google.

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

when 4th ed came out wizards of the coast promissed to make something on those lines in D&D insider then scrapped it for some reason that was never explained. The idea was to combine gm tools, a players power to make their own computerized mini, and a dungeon maker to make a D&D to play with your friends in any part of the world. I looked forward to this until it was scrapped.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by Ragnaven

when 4th ed came out wizards of the coast promissed to make something on those lines in D&D insider then scrapped it for some reason that was never explained. The idea was to combine gm tools, a players power to make their own computerized mini, and a dungeon maker to make a D&D to play with your friends in any part of the world. I looked forward to this until it was scrapped.

I was looking forward to this as well.  Didn't know it had been canceled.

I've tried getting a group together to play via a forum or voice program, and it never works out.

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131

Fantasygrounds is quite good, but requires your GM to know it well in order to make a good campaign...

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Here you got. A whole host of products and tools that will allow you to play D&D, as well as other RPGs online with friends.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html

I have used Dundjinni and Dungeon Crafter, both are pretty cool. Make sure to check out Fantasy Grounds. I think that is what you are looking for.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Try openrpg.com (it will redirect you).

"OpenRPG is an Internet application that allows people to play Role Playing Games in real-time over the Internet."
    It is a generic client/server application that supports all the things you would need to play an RPG over the internet. It isn't D&D only. You 'll find people running games there so you just have to read about the campaigns and their rules. Or you could try hosting your campaign.

Also if you are into that weird thing called 4th edition, i heard that WotC has done something about playing that edition over the internet.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars Β– combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• theodoriktheodorik Member Posts: 7

I wondered what had happened to that vritual tabletop demo.

I must admit I've tried online pen and paper games and it just isn't the same as getting together with friends and laughing and having a good time.

• niomolireniomolire Member Posts: 5

interesting. all my local p&p gamers moved to different states/are too busy. maybe ill be able to find a good group here.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Great info. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

I run a 2e game on Saturday nights for some of my MMO buddies (and the wife) using a virtual tabletop program and ventrilo.  It doesn't have the same 'feel' as sitting around a table, but it is better than nothing.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

Wow, this is actually pretty cool stuff, I'm glad someone asked for it, I never knew about this.  Thanks to those who replied, even though I never asked for it I'm glad someone did, this is right up my ally

imageimage

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

yep the newest version got pretty much everything needed to play ,but ddo is based on a version of it and it should be fairly easy to play

• NeverasNeveras Member UncommonPosts: 303

I find a dice-roll bot and good 'ole IRC to be the best way to run a game.

I haven't done it in a few months but I should really find a good group and run something