Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so any hints to beta?

chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Has anyone heard or read any hints about when beta will start? Being this game is currently set for the start of next year, I would think so , sence all the hype about signing up for beta. What will be the first thing you will want to do or look forward too? Me to be honest, my first AWWW will be walking around a starbase or starfleet, I can't wait for ship combat, but I really look forward to walking around known locations, hope they have details like windows that actually show space and things moving about even thou it might not be what's really there, IE animated ships flying by, docking etc.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Comments

• mach789mach789 Member UncommonPosts: 131

A few are predicting October 8th because of some interesting bus shelter ads found in the game world of Champions Online.

• SprenonSprenon Member Posts: 13

Cryptic hasn't released any information as to when the beta will begin.  Since there is a rumored 1st quarter  2010 release date, it should begin soon.  I for one have been checking my email daily.

I'm looking forward to travelling to various ponts of interest in the game, such as Earth, Vulcan, DS9 & such.  I also plan on checking to see how/if Cryptic represents Praxis.  (Praxis is the Klingon moon that exploded at the beginning of Star Trek VI)

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

ya praxis, forgot about that, same here, wanting to visit all the locations etc.. also wanting to help make the game better IE find the bugs so when it does launch, all they need to do is add more and more content! :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• James_CookJames_Cook Member Posts: 8

Yeah well Craig said in the interview that Beta will surely begin in the end of 2009.

• BidiotBidiot Member Posts: 5

I would guess nov just to get it out before the holidays to save em effort

• MattTreckMattTreck Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Bidiot

I would guess nov just to get it out before the holidays to save em effort

Yes, that would make sense.

• AracosAracos Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Sprenon

Cryptic hasn't released any information as to when the beta will begin.  Since there is a rumored 1st quarter  2010 release date, it should begin soon.  I for one have been checking my email daily.

Hehe, in the German "Gamestar" (September 2009)  they write: 4th Quarter 2009 ^^

• James_CookJames_Cook Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Aracos

Originally posted by Sprenon

Hehe, in the German "Gamestar" (September 2009)  they write: 4th Quarter 2009 ^^

yeah. the german community have many guesses. unfortunately forcasting has been wrong so far !:O Whats more reliable is what the devs say. They say "by the end of 2009". Since they have pretty much few important details to streamline (like phasor firing hardpointing to phasor banks) its very probably that Beta will not start for this and the next month though.

• apexearthapexearth Member Posts: 13

I'll put my bets on the beta starting sometime during the first half of October. Backup plan, second half. :)

I look forward to some good old fashioned torpedo shootin'.

Let my love open the door.

• NongeNonge Member Posts: 28

I'm guessing Monday, November 2nd but it doesn't matter really when: JUST LET ME AT IT!!!

• kha1esskha1ess Member Posts: 5

im still hoping for this month

• NasedooNasedoo Member Posts: 486

beta should be out sometime this month or nov for sure!

Nasedoo: You said traders would get a revamp under my supervision.

Darth Lord Blixtev: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

• desecratedesecrate Member Posts: 75

i hope it comes out soon i really wanna give it a shot tho it woulda been nice if they made it more like legacy than starfleet command

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by desecrate

i hope it comes out soon i really wanna give it a shot tho it woulda been nice if they made it more like legacy than starfleet command

The same Legacy that went down as the worst Star Trek game since New Worlds?

Nah.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • desecratedesecrate Member Posts: 75

i thought the combat was good in legacy more 3d to it

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Saerain

The same Legacy that went down as the worst Star Trek game since New Worlds?

Nah.

I love ST but legacy is the worst ever. Broken multiplayer no one can play and they still havent fixed it.

Ship battle are just ok, not as good as Armada though. Sub system targetting sucks.

Graphics are not that great, low res textures. Music is good though.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

i thought the combat was good in legacy more 3d to it

I can understand that. I know that kind of freedom is important to a lot of gamers when it comes to space, which makes sense.

But aside from that, the Starfleet Command series was far more tactical. It was delicious and Trekky, I thought.

Anyway, as for Star Trek Online, you can pitch your ship, it's not totally locked to a plane like SC. You can see this in videos, and they've said outright that WASD controls pitch and yaw. There's just a limit to how high or low you can go. Which is true of Legacy, too, if I recall correctly.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Xodus316Xodus316 Member Posts: 12

My guess is Dec 14, see my thread on sto board: forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php

• IG_SlayerIG_Slayer Member Posts: 13

Im so looking forward to the closed beta...if I don't get in I'll just have to play more CO till open beta.

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

A Q1 release with no beta yet?

Game's gonna fail.

• slingbladezslingbladez Member Posts: 26
    The closed beta is really just right around the corner. I think that there's a press release that's going to go out in just a couple of days.

www.videogamer.com/news/cryptic_confirms_sto_out_first_quarter_of_2010.html

The closed beta will start in a few days. The engine has also been tested for 1 year in the CO beta, and by the time STO comes out it'll be tested for about 5-6 months in retail. Zinc said that they mostly want people to test the content, exp curve etc. It's not   really about huge game breaking bugs because those are usually engine related and those things have already been tested for a long time.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I hope they hurry!  Getting closed beta access was part of my decision to pay for a 6 month subscription to Champions... it was a good deal even without it, but it was the cherry on top.