Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a logical posibility within FE?

SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

having followed the game throughout its creation and having fallen victim to CO only to be sadly disappointed (i wont go into my personal reasons why), I am now drawn to the idea of purchasing FE.  As a fan of the Post-Appoc style gaming genre I believe it may finally be the game ive been waiting for for a while.  That said, I am curious about one thing.  Should i decide to pick up FE, I think it would be really sweet to create a group of "raiders"  that would traverse the desert via Motorcycles and roll into towns causing general mayhem and destruction.  Basically, i guess im saying it would be nice to create/join a digital motorcycle gang.  My question is, is this possible to do in FE and if so, what sorts of Goals/objectives could such a gang accomplish or perform?  Quite obviously the anti-hero is more or less the style of character and overall feel id like to create.  That said, Im not necessarily concerned with the overall PVE aspects of the game as in the end - it appears that FE's endgame is that of PVP.  Is it possible for said motorcycle gang to fight from their motorcycles? (if so can you melee from a motorcycle or only shoot) and how much of FE is PVP based? I have seen many of the dev videos which state that only certain "areas" of FE are PVP but i guess im just curious how big those "areas" are and whether a higher level player or players could essentially "live" within one?

If anyone has any details or anything theyd like to add to help me with my decision please let me know.  I was a prior closed beta member and thus have already seen the engine and the graphics (so i dont need anyone dishing out the graphics card on me as i already know what im buying there) but unfortunately didnt spend much time beta'ing the game as i was then called to beta CO.  I will state that i noticed during closed beta that some of the controls felt a little...(for lack of a better word) clunky, like there was a slight delay between pressing W and moving forward...miliseconds, but enough that i noticed it ever so slightly.  Have they since smoothed the gameplay a little?

Just looking for some answers/oppinions/etc.  I am aware of the factions as well and was thinking that CHOTA or the travelers might be the best fit for such a gang if i were to play.  So if anyone can help me with which woul in that area as well it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!!!

Comments

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

You can shoot from a motorcycle, but not melee. Don't know much about PVP, not my cup of tea... but this game might change it, we shall see.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

I would have to answer that it's not possible in  any way that would make it as cool as it sounds. Heh. Vehicles just aren't that viable for combat.

• SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

in what sense are they not as viable?  would you mind elaborating a bit?  would it be viable to ride into town - hop off your motorcycle and attack?  if so is it possible to have your "ride" stolen while your in combat?

And thanks so far for the input gang!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Vehicles can't be used by non-owners. Horses can be "killed" in PVP areas but doing so outside those areas can result in a banning. Mounts cannot be permanently damaged.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by grunty

Vehicles can't be used by non-owners. Horses can be "killed" in PVP areas but doing so outside those areas can result in a banning. Mounts cannot be permanently damaged.

When you say "banning", what exactly does that mean?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

As of yet I would have to say no it isn't really possible to do.  However the devs proposed an idea some time ago where players could become outlaws or sherrifs so it is a possability sometime later.  I guess it would depend on how they impliment the whole idea and what kinds of restrictions they put on how or when you become one or the other.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by rodingo

At least a short term lack of access to the game. Longer/permanent if repeated. No matter how much you dislike someone parking their horse in the bank doing something about it will have consequences

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BedouinBedouin Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by SequenceLost

having followed the game throughout its creation and having fallen victim to CO only to be sadly disappointed (i wont go into my personal reasons why), I am now drawn to the idea of purchasing FE.  As a fan of the Post-Appoc style gaming genre I believe it may finally be the game ive been waiting for for a while.  That said, I am curious about one thing.  Should i decide to pick up FE, I think it would be really sweet to create a group of "raiders"  that would traverse the desert via Motorcycles and roll into towns causing general mayhem and destruction.  Basically, i guess im saying it would be nice to create/join a digital motorcycle gang.  My question is, is this possible to do in FE and if so, what sorts of Goals/objectives could such a gang accomplish or perform?  Quite obviously the anti-hero is more or less the style of character and overall feel id like to create.  That said, Im not necessarily concerned with the overall PVE aspects of the game as in the end - it appears that FE's endgame is that of PVP.  Is it possible for said motorcycle gang to fight from their motorcycles? (if so can you melee from a motorcycle or only shoot) and how much of FE is PVP based? I have seen many of the dev videos which state that only certain "areas" of FE are PVP but i guess im just curious how big those "areas" are and whether a higher level player or players could essentially "live" within one?
    If anyone has any details or anything theyd like to add to help me with my decision please let me know.  I was a prior closed beta member and thus have already seen the engine and the graphics (so i dont need anyone dishing out the graphics card on me as i already know what im buying there) but unfortunately didnt spend much time beta'ing the game as i was then called to beta CO.  I will state that i noticed during closed beta that some of the controls felt a little...(for lack of a better word) clunky, like there was a slight delay between pressing W and moving forward...miliseconds, but enough that i noticed it ever so slightly.  Have they since smoothed the gameplay a little?
     Just looking for some answers/oppinions/etc.  I am aware of the factions as well and was thinking that CHOTA or the travelers might be the best fit for such a gang if i were to play.  So if anyone can help me with which woul in that area as well it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!!!

There are conflict towns that can be flipped by factions in order to access the vendors and npcs there. So, if you were able to get a good group of like minded people to clan with you, in essence, you could try to keep control of one of these towns. Or the lot of you can ride around from conflict town to conflict town and harrass the players there. 

The Pvp areas in sector one are small arenas, though the farther you travel north the bigger they become. 

You can't attack anyone in the PvE towns, but nothing is stopping you and your gang from rolling through and being all rowdy, especially if you are RPing a marauder type clan. 

You can shoot handguns from your motorcycle, though you can not melee or use a rifle. I'm guessing this is done so you can theoretically keep a hand on the throttle.  The problem with actually trying to pvp from a vehicle is that your vehicle can be destroyed pretty easily. You can repair it just as easily too with a repair kit, after you take out the person who broke it of course. 

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I think the conflict towns are setup in such a way that you'd probably be at a serious disadvantage if you were roaming on a motorcycle. 

Maybe later expansions/Sectors will allow you your dream.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

At least a short term lack of access to the game. Longer/permanent if repeated. No matter how much you dislike someone parking their horse in the bank doing something about it will have consequences

Please tell me that isnt true. You can be banned from the game for doing something that the game designed by the devs allows you to do? That doesnt make any sense.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

By the way OP I really like your idea. Unfortunately although this game looks like it could be open to more creative input than most MMO's, I doubt your neat roleplaying plan will ever realise its full potential........which is a shame. MMO's are always far too limited for such levels of creativity.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by neonwire

Please tell me that isnt true. You can be banned from the game for doing something that the game designed by the devs allows you to do? That doesnt make any sense.

No, it doesn't. But lots of games do it regardless. The rules may be stupid, arbitrary, contradictory, and annoying, but God help you if you break them.

• BedouinBedouin Member UncommonPosts: 26

There was a time when you could poison horses, which people would do out of spite. This is no longer the case, if you can attack a horse/vehicle, then you are in a pvp area and there are no restrictions.  

• SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

Thanks for all the info gang.  i may still give this a shot and see if I cant make it work.  the elements are all there (combat, motorcycles, PVP) as is the right setting, so perhaps ill give it a shot and hope the dev's see my vision :).  if anyone might be interested in helping me out with creating such an idea please shoot me a PM.  i still havent fully decided as to whether im gonna pick it up yet, and plan to spend the next 2 days (until pay day) researching the whole game a little more. 

i do appreciate all the responses so far and you have all been a big help!!

As for factions can anyone help me out in that department.   given my OP what faction within the game would best suit such an idea? <-- From an RP standpoint primarily but also from a logical standpoint as well.  (i.e i dont want a faction that matches up perfectly except it totally blows in pvp LOL).

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

You choice of faction I'd say, depends entirely on your own personal preference, and what appeals to you most. There are no 'good guys' in the game (except, maybe the Lightbearers, and even they have a corps of assassins at their disposal), and every single faction can find a 'legitimate' reason to destroy/invade a town.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by thecipher

You choice of faction I'd say, depends entirely on your own personal preference, and what appeals to you most. There are no 'good guys' in the game (except, maybe the Lightbearers, and even they have a corps of assassins at their disposal), and every single faction can find a 'legitimate' reason to destroy/invade a town.

Yeah and all factions have at least 2 sub-factions some even have secert sub-factions that need to be discovered in-game, so i am sure everyone will find something to there liking.

For example the CHOTA, the melee guys have the following sub-factions

Slaughter Kings – see themselves as the ultimate survivors and evolution of humanity and feel all other humans should be made to serve.

Spirit Seers – a shaman dominated group of mutants

Claw of Redhand – the eyes and ears of Redhand

Fist of Redhand – the bodyguards and muscle of Redhand

Quiet Ones – a sect of non-violent CHOTA that prefers to allow society and civilization to collapse without their help.

Tainted – a sect that contains the disfigured and freakish

Blood Horde – a sect who wants to rise up as a mighty army and storm the entire Province killing everyone and destroying all technology.

Oathtakers - A sect only concerned with destroying the Enforcers and the hated children of Alec Masters.

And here are the Enforcers sub-factions:

Peregrine Company – Intelligence Unit

Sentinels – a more philosophic branch of the Enforcers

Strike Team Gamma – Covert branch, emblem may be an upside-down “L” over a white rabbit.

Or if you perfer you don't need to join a faction at all, makes the game tougher but it is a valid path to take(as planned by the devs).