Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to decide on buying it? Possibly some help

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I bought FE about 5 days ago and started a running blog on the game and just finished my second update.  May help those of you that are thinking of buying it. 

http://www.mpog.com/blogs.cfm/blogId/84/entry/4783

Comments

•  

Thanks Chryses, I quite enjoyed the read and pretty much agree with everything you said. I've only been playing a couple of days but I think this would be helpful for people trying to decide.

It really is true that Fallen Earth has managed to acheive some rather amazing things here, especially in areas where much more heavily financed games have failed.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thanks, that was very helpful. I still have a ton of questions, though. (Not sure if they all can be answered at this moment) ;

1- What is the death penalty like? Different in pvp / pve? Can enemies loot your stuff?

2- Is there a system / bank to store your mounts / vehicles?

3- How does the faction balance look so far? Is it spread evenly or do some factions have a much bigger popularity?

4- In PVP / ffa zones, can you only attack your opposing faction and the two partly opposing ones or is it truly free for all?

5- Is there any standing gain / bonus rewarded for making (the right) kills in pvp?

6- Is there an auction system?

7- Is there a day and night cycle? Is it really dark at night or not / how long does the cycle take?

8- Can you communicate with every faction's members?

9- What kind of communication channels can you use? Any global chat? Limited to zones?

10- Are there any rare mobs and / or other rewards for exploring?

Thanks! <3

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

My first feelings in game are like this game is as if SWG and AO had a child. It's got this cluttery and thoughtfully placed asset thing going on that makes towsn feel like mos eisely, and a lot of the UI windows and how inventory works, even a little bit of the skill system reminds me of AO. I'm having a bit of fun with it, but the game is quite vague and doesn't hold your hand much, just like the aforementioned (at one point). My only beef is that animations are a bit wonky, especially when jumping or strafing, but as for how combat works - look at a video for borderlands - like that but it seems to take far less hits to kill something atm, and it's quite easy to die. I figured I go go guns all the way but almost died to a rat that requiered a run with my wooden board. Melee is just a matter of click click click, but if you aim at the head you do crits and they ragdoll to the ground, it's nice.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Thanks, that was very helpful. I still have a ton of questions, though. (Not sure if they all can be answered at this moment) ;
    1- What is the death penalty like? Different in pvp / pve? Can enemies loot your stuff?
    From what i hear there is no looting of anothers stuff.
    In pve i died twice yesterday in quick succession and noticed a de-buff appear = 10% less XP gain for 5 minutes. To me that was a pretty good incentive not to die in future.
    There are banks and stables/garages to store your mounts/vehicles.  You can not keep a mount in your pocket here, once out of the garage/stable it is always present(which is cool)
    3- How does the faction balance look so far? Is it spread evenly or do some factions have a much bigger popularity?
    I am not yet high enough to get in to factions, but the beauty of this game is that you can change faction. They say WAR suffered cause there were only two factions, here there are 6, and if one gets two powerful players can move to a weaker faction of vice versa. How it will work out i am not sure, but it seems all the bases are covered.
    4- In PVP / ffa zones, can you only attack your opposing faction and the two partly opposing ones or is it truly free for all?
    Not sure about this.
    5- Is there any standing gain / bonus rewarded for making (the right) kills in pvp?
    Not sure about this but assume there will be.
    Yes
    7- Is there a day and night cycle? Is it really dark at night or not / how long does the cycle take?
    Not that i have nioticed, but i may be wrong.
    Not sure about this.
    9- What kind of communication channels can you use? Any global chat? Limited to zones?
    There is a New player channel that acts as some sort of Global. There are Region Chat channels as well.
    I am sure there are

Thanks! <3

I try and answer your questions as best i can, as i am only lvl9 at the moment. Please see my answers in blue above.

Another thing to note about this game is that it is currently set in the Grand Canyon with a lvl cap of 45. They do plan to release regular expansions to include other areas of the States and a level cap of 150. So there is much to come.

@GTwander you can just hold down your mice buttons when doing melee instead of clicking each time you want to hit.

Originally posted by VultureSkull

From what i hear there is no looting of anothers stuff.
    In pve i died twice yesterday in quick succession and noticed a de-buff appear = 10% less XP gain for 5 minutes. To me that was a pretty good incentive not to die in future.
    There are banks and stables/garages to store your mounts/vehicles.  You can not keep a mount in your pocket here, once out of the garage/stable it is always present(which is cool)
    I am not yet high enough to get in to factions, but the beauty of this game is that you can change faction. They say WAR suffered cause there were only two factions, here there are 6, and if one gets two powerful players can move to a weaker faction of vice versa. How it will work out i am not sure, but it seems all the bases are covered.
    Not sure about this.
    Not sure about this but assume there will be.
    Yes
    Not that i have nioticed, but i may be wrong.
    Not sure about this.
    There is a New player channel that acts as some sort of Global. There are Region Chat channels as well.
    I am sure there are

Thanks! <3

I try and answer your questions as best i can, as i am only lvl9 at the moment. Please see my answers in blue above.

Another thing to note about this game is that it is currently set in the Grand Canyon with a lvl cap of 45. They do plan to release regular expansions to include other areas of the States and a level cap of 150. So there is much to come.

@GTwander you can just hold down your mice buttons when doing melee instead of clicking each time you want to hit.

Thanks a lot, mate :)

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

Thanks! <3

1. The death penalty is kind of light in my mind. There is the XP debuff which affects how much xp you gain for the next X minutes while also damaging your items. In PvP, the item degradation is much more severe it seems like.

2. You have sector vaults in all of the towns, which are linked and accessible through all three sectors. Then you have barter vaults, which are only present in some of the towns, mainly in ones with an auctioneer, but not always. These are also linked across sectors. Then you have VIP vaults, which are only present in capital cites, of which there is only 1 in each sector. They're also linked across sectors. Last, you then have clan vault versions of all these. As far as vehicles/horses, you have the garages where you can park them, but generally, people just leave them out, as they will log out when you do and appear when you log back in.

3. Seems people like the Enforcers a lot, then the travellers perhaps. Ranged is definitely favored over melee.

4. PvP is truly FFA. You do damage to whomever you hit, regardless of their faction, so you do have to watch  your fire when you're participating in group PvP.

5. Well, you have quests that affect conflict towns that require you to PvP to gain faction influence with that town. You also have something called 'Death Toll', which I'm told is similar to honor in WoW. Basically it gives you access to special merchants that sell items. So far, it just seems to be run of the mill items that are more powerful than weapons available in the surrounding area.

6. Auctioneers are present in some of the towns and are linked.

7. Yes. It is pretty dark, but most people just do the old 'gamma/brightness' so that it's not much of an issue. I believe that it's a 4 hour cycle, but am not totally sure.

8. Yes. You have region and local which are visible to everyone in the area. There are no 'hidden' channels, other than clan related. The identification of other faction members is through a solid bar beneath their name. Red means mortal enemy, yellow is enemy, teal is ally, while green is same faction. I may have yellow and teal mixed up, but you get the idea.

9. You have regional chat, which is visible to everyone in that region, then local, which is visible to everyone around you. You also have clan and officer, as well as an auction channel. You have a global channel, New Player Chat, but it's for new players to seek help and get answers to questions, rather than a general chat channel. The GM's lurk there and moderate it to make sure it stays focused.

10. They've talked about instituting boss mobs that will drop rare items and such, but at this time, mobs don't drop anything special and usually items below your level. As far as exploring, there are scavenge nods, as well as some areas that have a mission or two to complete. For instance, I was running between S1 and S2 and came across a little collection of tents with a couple of people standing around a fire. Turns out they're the survivors of a walled town just a little bit further that got taken over by bandits. They give you missions to go retrieve stuff and kill bandits. Another instance, I came across a house with dead bodies strewn about and some salvage.

Hope that answers your questions.

Originally posted by twhint

Hope that answers your questions.

Sure does, mate, thanks for the effort. Downloading it right now :)

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Death penalty is a 5 minute 10% reduction in XP but I guess this is stacked
    Yes any garage and you can recall it.
    Havent hit the faction level yet.
    Yes and its packed
    Yes and you have a flashlight on the vehicle and also on person to use at night.
    I believe so but I cant say for sure.
    one global chat which is extremely busy and region, local, team, auction plus more.
    best part of the game is exploring and you can roam around looking for wreckage to salvage. I love that part.

Thanks! <3

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I have just finished my final verdict on the game. I hope it helps gamers who are sitting on the fence or just interested.  I am enjoying it a lot and a good sign is, I only finished the blog today due to the patching!!

http://www.mpog.com/blogs/chryses/092009/4783