Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Mission Architect Awards Announced

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Today, Paragon Studios is announcing that they will be holding awards for the best use of the Mission Architect system. As a part of the announcement, our own Jon Wood spoke with Joe Morrissey about the contest and the feature that allows players to create their own in-game missions.

When Paragon Studios first launched City of Heroes: Mission Architect, it was seen by some as a bold experiment. By throwing open the doors to the tool behind their game, they were doing what very few had ever done before, taking user generated content to the next level.

On October 25th, the company will officially recognize the best that players have had to offer over the last six months and they will do so in a place that their efforts will be most appreciated, at Hero-Con, the annual fan event held for City of Heroes.

Awards will be handed out in the categories of: Best Hero Arc, Best Villain Arc, Best In-Canon Story, Best Enemy Group, and Arc of the Year. The winners in each category will go home with a prize pack that includes a Sapphire ATI HD 3650 512MB GDDR3 video card and other items.

Read Mission Architect Awards Announced and Discussed

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570

so do i sibmit the file or he arc id?

• FartmanFartman Member UncommonPosts: 21

MA killed socialization in this game , what was left of it, bold experiment ? not really , it was a way for devs to circumvent writing any new content. Champions Online however is the New Hottness, this is the old busted joint.

in calmest breeze,
    in tornadoes blast,
    no evil shall escape my gas
    let those who are an evil fink
    fear the wind of Fartman's stink.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

I wouldn't call it old and busted till the community is completely gone.  I also would hold off on that new hotness with CO till all their nerfs are done.  It is easy to bash up on CoX, but it is almost as easy to find all the same things to bash up on with CO.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• Babylon9000Babylon9000 Member Posts: 88

this contets is a great diea!

I actually just cancelled my 6 month sub of Champions online now that my first fre month is up and bought a 3 month sub on my old account at CoX I have been making some NPCs the last fewe nights and just began work on a new arc.

With the issue 16 changes to the game CoX is hands down the best super hero game on the market. I played CO in beta and then now for the last month and it's good but frustrating. Give the dev team a year to hammer out the lumps and it might look a little better.

Do we do a print screen of the first page of the arc creator screen or just submit via arc ID#?

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

MA is the best thing ever.  Letting the community develop new content allows variations unlike any other mmo.   Devs are great when building content but allowing different minds exressing their own individual creativity goes beyond the original focus adding the variety needed to give the game adventure and become less predictable.  The MA tools built for users to create Missions shows how talented game devs really are.   As well the users creating missions do amazing stuff themselfs.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

I believe you take the save file that you can download file when you save it and send it to that email.

• BegglyBeggly Member Posts: 37

I wonder how the devs decide how to check out player content?  If 50k stories have been submitted, and the devs work 8 hour days, how many per day do they check out, and still do all their other work?  How does a mission arc come to their attention?  How can they decide what is good and what is not given the time they have to check things out?

I've always wondered about that part.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Beggly

I wonder how the devs decide how to check out player content?  If 50k stories have been submitted, and the devs work 8 hour days, how many per day do they check out, and still do all their other work?  How does a mission arc come to their attention?  How can they decide what is good and what is not given the time they have to check things out?

I've always wondered about that part.

Me too. I always wondered how they can possibly check many of them out.   Maybe they look thru the votes first. 

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• jeffg316jeffg316 Member Posts: 48

So all 5 people playing the game will get a reward?  Its a really good thing CO is failing, CoX was in maj0or trouble. Hope the expansion is a massive overhaul of everything.

Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, Eve Online, DCUO, Rift

Playing: SW:TOR

Really it was in major trouble?  I didn't notice.  Does it have as many subscribers as WoW no but I wouldn't say it was in major trouble.  The game has lasted 5 years.

It seems Freedumb is working on a light load at peak hours.  Most of those are just farmers.  I remember when there were at least 30 people at the BM in Cap, now you are lucky to see 10.  Same goes for the WW on heroside.  Finding a team 1-8 is easy after that it is a ghost town.

Freedom has been light for a while now.  CoH is now a casual gamer game.  It has been that way for at least a year.  Yeah it beefed up with all the AE farms but now it is pretty much back to normal.

Originally posted by jeffg316

So all 5 people playing the game will get a reward?  Its a really good thing CO is failing, CoX was in maj0or trouble. Hope the expansion is a massive overhaul of everything.

Such negativity.

CoX is not as full as it was, more's the pity, but it isn't exactly dead, either.  I see a lot of players. 

I'd like to see more, mind you.   I miss the good old days, but if I spent all my time whining about how good they were and how bad it is now, I'd probably be posting to Everquest or something, instead of here, LOL.

CoX is still a heck of a lot of fun.  It can be better, but it needs some radical new content.  Quality of Life content has been nice, I love it, but we need something to galvanize the players into action. 

I know one thing that really gets me pumped.... more teaming and really hard missions that require a team.  Look into it.... LOL.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

I used to like CoX. That is until Architect issue were released. It sounds awsome with player made content doesnt it? Thing is its really not, its a template with what you can play with, Id agree to it being fun for a day or two but thats it. People dont play it cause its fun, they play it because of the massive increase in exp you get compared compared to playing regular missions or killing mobs in open world.

The world is empty devoid of every player not maxxed out and even some of them are crawling around those MA studios. Wouldnt surprise me if this patch/issue would be similar to pushing a free fall buttom, for me the game died 2 weeks after player content was released, it felt meaningless to continue... Im not a great grind fan and I dont like searching parties for hours.

Like what another poster said in another thread though....

"Reactivation (free weekend) and double xp weekend on the same weekend, that is a sign of desperation"

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Fartman

MA killed socialization in this game , what was left of it, bold experiment ? not really , it was a way for devs to circumvent writing any new content. Champions Online however is the New Hottness, this is the old busted joint.

Sounds like you're a CO fanboy. Or maybe a paid shill for Cryptic.

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by jeffg316

Like what another poster said in another thread though....

"Reactivation (free weekend) and double xp weekend on the same weekend, that is a sign of desperation"

Wrong.  CoX has always had reactivations/double xp weekends when new content goes live.

Sounds like the only desperation going on is from the OP.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

You guys are really missing it.

There are some very good adventures in the AE lists, you just have to look for them.  Sure, everyone is fixated on the pharms, but really, there are other missions out there, which have some clever ideas  I know, I created some of them.  And none of my missions are pharms.

Further, on CO.... CO and COX are both great games.  I enjoy them a lot.  Not having as many people is a bummer, but not a deal breaker.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

cox has had double xp weekends with the reavtivation weekends after a issue release for looong time.i play on protector an virtue atm. an seen a few more people than 5 -playing the game.full group villain side on virtue. thought trolls could count,shame on me for asuming.

contest sounds intresting dont think ill have my 1st arch done in time tho.cox is still alota fun an has many levels to it. ae only added more to the mix.for some for while it became the pl spot . now its good for low levels toons to build up points for SO's at 22 threw the ae merchant.Theirs some creative great archs their to.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• VerkainVerkain Member Posts: 24

The AE farms that people claim killed the game are pretty much a thing of the past since Issue 16 hit the servers. Now the AE buildings are virtually empty and people are out doing normal content.

Is the game dying? In my opinion, no. I'm sure plenty left for CO but at the same time I think CoX will see some players who didn't like CO come and check out what the other super hero game is like.