Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Aion compared to EQ1?

miked9022miked9022 Member UncommonPosts: 91

In terms of grinding and combat dynamics, as well as general feel of the linearity, how do Aion and EQ1 compare? Alot of threads make the grinding aspect sound similar regarding hack/slash, although not the linearity and exploration facet.

Comments

• AlwaysRemAlwaysRem Member Posts: 7

I haven't played it myself but I watched a friend play it and it did look pretty grindy to me.

They were also playing  a class that was almost identical to a magician from EQ1, they basically just toodle along with a single element-specific pet to fight for them.

• Tyvolus5Tyvolus5 Member Posts: 61

My first MMO was EQ in '99.  I love how AION brings back some of the feel of that game.  For people who have limited MMO experience (many wow fanbois) they fail to see the influence old school games like EQ have on AION.  Yet another reason I am enjoying this game.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

what made me want to play the game was teh Spritmaster class, like some one else said its almost identical to the eq magician class. elemental pets,member summon (call of the hero), earth,wind,fire,water based nukes. and they added their own flare to the class, but its obvious where they got the class from. maybe a combo of an eq necro/magician just because its more DoT nukes than DD nukes,and the life tap (heals for 1/2 the dmg done), and to heal my pet is like the necro pet heal where i give him my hp. agro mechanics are alot like eq as well, how a heal is like a taunt.

• bastiibastii Member Posts: 137

How are they even comparable in the slightest. Trying to even compare them makes people look like idiots.

Comparing WoW to EQ is possible, comparing Aion to EQ is plain silly. They are almost opposites.

EQ = almost no generic quests

Aion = quests

------------

EQ = sandbox / slight themepark

Aion = Themepark

--------------

EQ = PVE

Aion = PVP/PVE

-------------

EQ = 16 races

Aion = 2 races

------------

EQ = Primarily grouping

Aion = Solo + grouping

-----------

EQ = 54 man raiding endgame

Aion = 2 group zerging endgame

------------

They don't have even the slightest in common. Some things are comparable to DAoC, but the game is not like EQ at all.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by bastii

Did you experience AION's end game Bastii? Based on what you said, I think you did not.

... and I thought you were the one saying that lying "players" are a big issue among MMORPGs.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

How are they even comparable in the slightest. Trying to even compare them makes people look like idiots.
    Comparing WoW to EQ is possible, comparing Aion to EQ is plain silly. They are almost opposites.

Aion = quests
    ------------
    Aion = Themepark
    --------------
    EQ = PVE
    Aion = PVP/PVE
    -------------
    EQ = 16 races
    Aion = 2 Civilization (that can be molded to look like any race in every fantasy mmo out there)
    ------------
    EQ = Primarily grouping
    Aion = Solo + grouping
    -----------
    Aion = 4 group (24 man) raiding endgame
    ------------

They don't have even the slightest in common. Some things are comparable to DAoC, but the game is not like EQ at all.

Just to correct some mistakes from someone who clearly never touched Aion. Coming from the guy worried about lying in some other thread

Originally posted by tryklon

Just to correct some mistakes from someone who clearly never touched Aion.

I'm sorry, but Aion endgame is 9/10 times just 2 group zerging in the Abyss, most of the time I played was ganking. Because that gives you the biggest chance at AP.

I also was one of the first people who played CB, so don't come tell me I didn't play Aion.

You sound like another fanboy. Ignoring you since you claim I didn't play Aion.

Originally posted by Umbral

Did you experience AION's end game Bastii? Based on what you said, I think you did not.

... and I thought you were the one saying that lying "players" are a big issue among MMORPGs.

Yes I did, we were the first level 2 guild on Siel too in CB. Were you? Thought not.

Leaving you trolls alone now, because that's all you do, instead of arguing and using arguments, you throw out accusations.

Yes I did, we were the first level 2 guild on Siel too in CB. Were you? Thought not.
    Leaving you trolls alone now, because that's all you do, instead of arguing and using arguments, you throw out accusations.

No Bastii I didn´t want to play the NA CB and OB (and I had acess to both) as I was playing the end game from the asian version.(edit-just check my post history here and you will find some posts expressing a bit of my experience into the chinese version since the chinese ob, just a little bit of information but it will work as proof).

Confess Bastii maybe you played CB and OB ( as a miriad of NA players) but you didn't experienced AION´s endgame.

A lie is a lie and you lied about AION´s end game definition and about you experiencing the end game in CB.

I agree with you lying players and reviews are an issue :).

• kagdakagda Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by tryklon

Aion = quests
    ------------
    Aion = Themepark
    --------------
    EQ = PVE
    Aion = PVP/PVE
    -------------
    EQ = 16 races
    Aion = 2 Civilization (that can be molded to look like any race in every fantasy mmo out there)
    ------------
    EQ = Primarily grouping
    Aion = Solo + grouping
    -----------
    Aion = 4 group (24 man) raiding endgame
    ------------

Just to correct some mistakes from someone who clearly never touched Aion. Coming from the guy worried about lying in some other thread

I've never played Aion... however I just thought that i should point out.... Race does not have "anything" to do with what you look like (molded to look like any race in every fantasy mmo out there)..... "Race" in MMORPG's (and i mean, ALL of them) refers to having different "races" having different abilities: Race A has +5 str.... Race B has +5int..... Race C has +5 health .... sure they appear different, but this is about gameplay not pretty pixles....... Sorry buddy but that statement alone makes you look like you are VERY inexperienced with MMO's... and like I said i've not played Aion but am thinking about it (hence checking this thread), so im not a fan boy.....

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Can you actually go to the Abyss in CB?

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by miked9022

In terms of grinding and combat dynamics, as well as general feel of the linearity, how do Aion and EQ1 compare? Alot of threads make the grinding aspect sound similar regarding hack/slash, although not the linearity and exploration facet.

Honestly I always play healers in any game I play but the combat seems pretty auto-attacky just like EQ, just add in some chains like EQ2.  Although I agree you can't really compare the too and I really am enjoying my time in Aion, Aion is definitely more linear than EQ.  It is also a much smaller world and feels a little more closed off than EQ.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Kagda

AION has one playable race but 2 different civilizations.

Elyos and Asmodians are the same race with distinct development with unique lore and appearance.

This is not the typical MMORPG detail but it fits well into the game universe and feels unique in a roleplaying point of view.

You can create an unique character (fat, strong, skinny) and that helps to create a more deep sense of civilization, just like in human race we see all kind of different humans...

No Bastii I didn´t want to play the NA CB and OB (and I had acess to both) as I was playing the end game from the asian version :).

Confess Bastii maybe you played CB and OB ( as a miriad of NA players) but you didn't experienced AION´s endgame.

A lie is a lie and you lied about AION´s end game definition and about you experiencing the end game in CB.

I agree with you lying players and reviews are an issue :).

sorta along the lines of my previous post... I've never played this game, just simply shopping around at the moment.... however... if im understanding you correctly you said that "Bastii" did not experience the "end game" because he only played "CB and OB" and not the Asian version.....i have no idea what CB and OB mean, nor do i really care... however, if i do end up getting this game, i could care less what is in the UK and or Asian version, i just care about the game i am currently playing.... granted the fact that you played the "asian" version is cool, you also have to remember the "asian" players are on a different level then the NA players, and if you don't know what that means, then well - i'll just leave this at that.......... Im here to play the NA game not the Asian game.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Kagda
    AION has one playable race but 2 different civilizations.
    Elyos and Asmodians are the same race with distinct development with unique lore and appearance.
    This is not the typical MMORPG detail but it fits well into the game universe and feels unique in a roleplaying point of view.
    You can create an unique character (fat, strong, skinny) and that helps to create a more deep sense of civilization, just like in human race we see all kind of different humans...

Fair enough.... but all of that is just pretty pixels, are there any actual "advantages" of going one way over the other... I think my friend was telling me there is a "light" and a "dark" typically in a regular MMORPG this means that the "light" have enhanced healing magic, while the dark have enhanced DMG magic.... is there any difference between the two except the appearences?.... to truly have a game that is not "cookie cutter" is having different combinations of races (each with their own strenghts and weaknesses)  and classes  - not how one looks skinny and the other is fat.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Originally posted by kagda

sorta along the lines of my previous post... I've never played this game, just simply shopping around at the moment.... however... if im understanding you correctly you said that "Bastii" did not experience the "end game" because he only played "CB and OB" and not the Asian version.....i have no idea what CB and OB mean, nor do i really care... however, if i do end up getting this game, i could care less what is in the UK and or Asian version, i just care about the game i am currently playing.... granted the fact that you played the "asian" version is cool, you also have to remember the "asian" players are on a different level then the NA players, and if you don't know what that means, then well - i'll just leave this at that.......... Im here to play the NA game not the Asian game.

I think you misunderstood me Kagda. (not about the race)

OB and CB are open and closed beta. There was no real Closed Beta in NA he didn't experienced the end game because he had no time to do it in open and closed NA game previews. What he said about AION end game is not exacly truth.

The only reason I made this comment is because bastii was calling some users here liers and made a big deal about people lying positively about AION... and then he start lying here... just that.

Chinese and Korean versions are up for a long time so a lot of western players already experienced AION´s end game in asian servers ...(not the case with Bastii).

I did not say that most people playing in NA and EU servers did not experience end game (now players are starting to experience it) because they are not at the same level of asian players. It was just a matter of time (and bastii lies).

I enjoy AION in both versions.

Fair enough.... but all of that is just pretty pixels, are there any actual "advantages" of going one way over the other... I think my friend was telling me there is a "light" and a "dark" typically in a regular MMORPG this means that the "light" have enhanced healing magic, while the dark have enhanced DMG magic.... is there any difference between the two except the appearences?.... to truly have a game that is not "cookie cutter" is having different combinations of races (each with their own strenghts and weaknesses)  and classes  - not how one looks skinny and the other is fat.

There are some differences in some skills especially stigmas (a different view on talent trees).

The zones are different too with different stories and atmosphere.

There is not good or evil side. The game lore is not a high fantasy expression with good and evil defined.

They look different as a result of the place they live and the type of life they have... if you play the game you will see what I am talking about and understand the lore behind it.

I don't belive a game need combinations of races, some games have only humans some don´t to tell the truth I am a bit tired of the multi race cliche.

As I said they are the same race but in different sides of a shattered world.

I think you misunderstood me Kagda. (not about the race)

OB and CB are open and closed beta. There was no real Closed Beta in NA he didn't experienced the end game because he had no time to do it in open and closed NA game previews. What he said about AION end game is not exacly truth.

The only reason I made this comment is because bastii was calling some users here liers and made a big deal about people lying positively about AION... and then he start lying here... just that.

Chinese and Korean versions are up for a long time so a lot of western players already experienced AION´s end game in asian servers ...(not the case with Bastii).

I did not say that most people playing in NA and EU servers did not experience end game (now players are starting to experience it) because they are not at the same level of asian players. It was just a matter of time (and bastii lies).

I enjoy AION in both versions.

ohhhh, I see, thank you for clearing that up for me...... Now its making a lot more sense, and I see you point very well. And I would have to agree that you can not "experience" an "end game" if you are only allowed to play the game for two months or so...... or how ever the betas were (but im sure stuff was wiped and limited most of the time)

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

OMG, you people completely missed the point of the thread.

How does Aion compare to EQ1.

Here is the biggest reason it compares closer to EQ1 than any other MMO out there.

FEAR!

Now, what I mean by this is that in PVE, there is fear to be had. Hundreds of thousands of kinah can be lost due to death. Death is something to be avoided as much as possible. Try doing the three keys quest (asmodian side) and then come back here and tell me it did not bring back any of that EQ1 fear and frustration, that is 2-3 hours of pure hell and that is only to get keyed for the bigger dungeon lol. Sure its not as bold and in your face about it as EQ1 was, but it is there.

Stop being so literal and look deeper into the gameplay and you will see a fair bit of old EQ1 in Aion.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Aion = quests
    Yeah, EQ quests came second to grinding, but to be honest Im not killing any less mobs in Aion's quests then I did in EQs camps... The only difference is I get a regular XP boost for killing what it makes sense for me to be killing anyhow.
    ------------
    Aion = Themepark
    I am not sure EQ qualifies as sandbox... More like 'Open Themepark'...The rides were still there in place, but the player (because of a lack of quests and wider zone choice at any given level) just had more choice of which one to ride.
    To be fair though, you could easily play this way in Aion by ignoring the non campaign quests and just grinding/ hunting nameds.
    --------------
    EQ = PVE
    Aion = PVP/PVE
    I played classic EQ on a team based PvP server (V, and to be honest this feels very  similar. Except we can't smack talk each other lol.
    -------------

I think Aion and EQ have a lot in common personally, but they are also massively different.

• DAVIDMINDYDAVIDMINDY Member UncommonPosts: 27

The very first time I played it , EQ1 came to mind. The more i played it (played on Chinese servers for 4 months) the more I thought that was the game they wanted to emulate the most. kill stealing and training, strait out of EQ. Class structure and how they play are similar, but I always felt the feel of the game, even though significantly different, reminds me the  most of EQ1. I played EQ1 for years and WOW for at least a year and once i got past the interface (strait from WOW) the games just don't seem the same  to me. My argument that i always  use and no one can debunk is that WOW (friends) say that it is an Asian grinder or a WOW clone. It can be one it cant be both. Personally I believe that when they sat down to do this game they asked what they thought was the best thing about the two biggest MMORPG at that time and EQ1's play style and WOW's interface won out. It does not guarantee success but it does bring a comfort level  to a game that will bring some fans to it because they feel like they have done it before,in a good way, like their favorite TV show and some how it feels new. You would not think it, but that has been a winning formula for years.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

I've never played Aion... however I just thought that i should point out.... Race does not have "anything" to do with what you look like (molded to look like any race in every fantasy mmo out there)..... "Race" in MMORPG's (and i mean, ALL of them) refers to having different "races" having different abilities: Race A has +5 str.... Race B has +5int..... Race C has +5 health .... sure they appear different, but this is about gameplay not pretty pixles....... Sorry buddy but that statement alone makes you look like you are VERY inexperienced with MMO's... and like I said i've not played Aion but am thinking about it (hence checking this thread), so im not a fan boy.....

Well, WoW / EQ2 and many more games races are just a skin. You hardly get any bonuses worth mentioning in the meta/late game so what it boils down to is a skin anyway

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

aion is less cerebral then eq1

you will use your brain a lot more in eq1 at the start

dont know later in any of those 2 since i havent played far in either eq1 or aion yet