Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Double XP Weekend & Account Reactivation

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Paragon Studios will be launching a Reactivation & Double XP Weekend for City of Heroes beginning Thursday, October 8th, and running through to Sunday, October 11th. So, if you've got an account in good standing, you'll be able to login and play free of charge starting on the 8th and you'll receive double the experience to boot.

Be sure to check out the awesomeness of the Mission Architect and the newly released Power Customization system that launched as part of Issue 16: Power Spectrum!

The official announcement can be viewed here.

Comments

• jeffg316jeffg316 Member Posts: 48

lol well its free so i might roll a rad blaster.  Though I wouldn't pay to play this game right now.  Low population, Not any real new content. AE Sucks.  Im wondering how their expansion will be if they even release that.

Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, Eve Online, DCUO, Rift

Playing: SW:TOR

• SaxtusSaxtus Member UncommonPosts: 9

This is the first time they combine both DXP and reactivation weekend.
    They must be really desperate...

• KeladorKelador Member UncommonPosts: 119

Normaly Double xp weekend is like every 6 months and well its not been that long since the last one.

But yeah the european servers population has been dropping for a long time now and in the last month and got worse.

The AE system was a good idea that should never have been added to the game, with the radio missions coh/cov became easy to solo lvl only needing to team for TF's etc which in my opinion was a bad thing.

AE farming became the only thing anyone wanted to do, No one teamed and did the story archs it has become power lvl to 50 and to flashback missions to get badges.

• Babylon9000Babylon9000 Member Posts: 88

With the release of Issue 16 the farming problem in AE has been rectified.

I renewed my sub for 3 months to this game to check I16 and have to say that on the U.S. servers, which I play on from Canada seem to be well populated. The game has been around for quite some time now so yest population has thinned out.But if you play on Freedom or Virtue server you'll find quite a large number of players.

There are still thousands of people playing this game, it is no where near its end.

• AlleahnaKaliAlleahnaKali Member Posts: 8

I haven't played since the Double XP weekend last July. Even then I only played for a few hours because I couldn't find a non AE team. I'd been playing less for some time but AE killed the game for me. After playing this game since October 2004, I'm not interested in paying money to transfer my characters from Pinnacle to more active servers.

What, specifically, did the devs do to kill AE PL farming? I don't recall seeing anything in the patch notes that addressed this directly or peripherally.

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by AlleahnaKali

I haven't played since the Double XP weekend last July. Even then I only played for a few hours because I couldn't find a non AE team. I'd been playing less for some time but AE killed the game for me. After playing this game since October 2004, I'm not interested in paying money to transfer my characters from Pinnacle to more active servers.
    What, specifically, did the devs do to kill AE PL farming? I don't recall seeing anything in the patch notes that addressed this directly or peripherally.

reduced xp for ae mobs that do not include minnion, lt, and boss

super sidekicking

Originally posted by nekollx

super sidekicking

What Nekoll said. lol

Not much point in trying to farm anymore.

I was right there with you Alahana. I cancelled my sub and started beta testing Champions months ago and didn't look back. there were no more teams outside of AE I realize now that AE wass new and af ad that everyone wanted to try out. I played a bit this week and did some work on a new mission Im creating and things are more or less back to normal. Found a sewer run, was asked to join several teams with my 50 that were non AE related..in fact I asked cuz iIwasnt into doing farm misisons.

One other nice little perk is the power proliferation, you can now choose some powers for certain archs. that werent available before. I made an electric/electric tanker and he's pretty cool lots of damage and OK damage resistance. Plus the factt hat Ic ould make the lightining golden yelow to match my dorky tights made me happy.

Over all a good update and am really looking forward to "Going Rogue" as well. I hope there will be a major graphical overhaul associated with that expansion to bring CoX up to par with the new competitor in the market.

FYI this Double XP weekend will be free to play for past players. NC Soft wants you to try out issue 16 to see if it will entice you back.

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Babylon9000

Originally posted by nekollx

super sidekicking

What Nekoll said. lol

I was right there with you Alahana. I cancelled my sub and started beta testing Champions months ago and didn't look back. there were no more teams outside of AE I realize now that AE wass new and af ad that everyone wanted to try out. I played a bit this week and did some work on a new mission Im creating and things are more or less back to normal. Found a sewer run, was asked to join several teams with my 50 that were non AE related..in fact I asked cuz iIwasnt into doing farm misisons.

One other nice little perk is the power proliferation, you can now choose some powers for certain archs. that werent available before. I made an electric/electric tanker and he's pretty cool lots of damage and OK damage resistance. Plus the factt hat Ic ould make the lightining golden yelow to match my dorky tights made me happy.

Over all a good update and am really looking forward to "Going Rogue" as well. I hope there will be a major graphical overhaul associated with that expansion to bring CoX up to par with the new competitor in the market.

FYI this Double XP weekend will be free to play for past players. NC Soft wants you to try out issue 16 to see if it will entice you back.

and i don't know about you redcoats but they have bundled double xp and reactivation prety much hand-in-hand for years. (and AE too :))

as for the AE i have like 8 published arcs, i love it for story telling!

When I left CoX and recently came back I noticesd that my AE Arcs were gone :( I only had 2 but one had taken me quite some time to put together, it wasnt there when I checked my creations out.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Whatever happened to just playing for fun anymore.. I'd rather pry my left eyeball out with my thumbnail than "farm" anything in something I refer to as entertainment.
    This game is fun as hell.
    It's wayyy more funner<--- than it used to be and personally I think the whole "farming scene" gang needs to get real jobs 8 ) Killing vigorously for a drop you really want is one thing, but if all you do is pound on the same crap night after night to catch rare stuff and sell it than I just feel sorry for you. Not to mention it ruins the experience for other people as well. JMHO

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• ozrialozrial Member Posts: 50

I always like CoX, but left it to try out other things.  When i saw the announcements regarding power customization, I was intrigued but not quite enough to resub just to try it out.  I certainly will partake in the reactivation weekend tho, and assuming I can find more enjoyment in it (which I bet I will), i may possibly resub. 

• tczueltczuel Member Posts: 1

Good timing for a reactivation and double xp weekend. Consider: it's right around the time the free month of Champions is expiring for all those who jumped on board around launch day. And given the wobbles Champions has been experiencing, this could lure some back to the motherland.

I'll certainly be firing up CoH on the weekend, as I've put Champions on hold until they give it some polish and add some more content - and perhaps find some way to give people a reason to team.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by tczuel

I'll certainly be firing up CoH on the weekend, as I've put Champions on hold until they give it some polish and add some more content - and perhaps find some way to give people a reason to team.

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why they decided to do this now.

Joined - July 2004

• Originally posted by Kelador

Normaly Double xp weekend is like every 6 months and well its not been that long since the last one.

Last one had some hardware issues, thus this "bonus" DXP weekend.

• Originally posted by Babylon9000

Depends what you were farming for.

Tthe AE farm - namely the cherry-picked LT or Boss farm - IS gone, but the standard farm is still there.

Can't bridge like you used to anymore, but that really only matters to powerleveling type farmers.