Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek coming to DVD and Blu-Ray November 17

ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Three-Disc-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B001AVCFK6/ref=pd_ts_zgc_d_16295751_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&pf_rd_p=482265091&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QQX28K4FZVJRKMZZNW0

".J. Abrams' 2009 feature film was billed as "not your father's Star Trek," but your father will probably love it anyway. And what's not to love? It has enough action, emotional impact, humor, and sheer fun for any moviegoer, and Trekkers will enjoy plenty of insider references and a cast that seems ideally suited to portray the characters we know they'll become later. Both a prequel and a reboot, Star Trek introduces us to James T. Kirk (Chris Pine of The Princess Diaries 2), a sharp but aimless young man who's prodded by a Starfleet captain, Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood), to enlist and make a difference. At the Academy, Kirk runs afoul of a Vulcan commander named Spock (Zachary Quinto of Heroes), but their conflict has to take a back seat when Starfleet, including its new ship, the Enterprise, has to answer an emergency call from Vulcan. What follows is a stirring tale of genocide and revenge launched by a Romulan (Eric Bana) with a particular interest in Spock, and we get to see the familiar crew come together, including McCoy (Karl Urban), Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Sulu (John Cho), Chekhov (Anton Yelchin), and Scottie (Simon Pegg).

The action and visuals make for a spectacular Big-Screen Movie, though the plot by Abrams and his writers, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (who worked together on Transformers and with Abrams on Alias and Mission Impossible III), and his producers (fellow Losties Damon Lindeloff and Bryan Burk) can be a bit of a mind-bender (no surprise there for Lost fans). Hardcore fans with a bone to pick may find faults, but resistance is futile when you can watch Kirk take on the Kobayashi Maru scenario or hear McCoy bark, "Damnit, man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" An appearance by Leonard Nimoy and hearing the late Majel Barrett Roddenberry as the voice of the computer simply sweeten the pot. Now comes the hard part: waiting for some sequels to this terrific prequel. --David Horiuchi"

Pre-ordered mine already. Can't wait to see it on my High Def television!

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

I havnt seen it but yes, i will buy it.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Wifey just bought a PS3 for me about 2 weeks ago and this WILL be the first Blu-Ray that goes into that load dish.....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I thought it was a pretty good movie, and I'm not a Star Trek fan at all. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequels.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Yeah, I'll definitely be buying this one when it hits the shelves.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

I'll be picking this up for sure.

"Space", the Canadian Sci-Fi channel, ran a Star Trek Movie Marathon last weekend. 'Wrath of Khan" excepted, it made me realize how much more entertaining the 2009 movie was than the majority of Trek films. Yes, I'm looking at you 'Final Frontier' and 'Insurrection'. For shame...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by X-Porter

"Space", the Canadian Sci-Fi channel, ran a Star Trek Movie Marathon last weekend. 'Wrath of Khan" excepted, it made me realize how much more entertaining the 2009 movie was than the majority of Trek films. Yes, I'm looking at you 'Final Frontier' and 'Insurrection'. For shame...

I loved those movies growing up, but looking back now I'd say that only 4 of the 10 were above average.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Kahn was by far the best movie they made.

Heavy tie in to the TV series and episode about Kahn.  Same characters that appeared in the episode about Kahn.  Lots of space action.  Genesis.  Spock biting the bullet for  the "needs of the many".

1-3 were pretty good, the rest were pretty lame IMO.  And honestly of 1-3, only Wrath of Kahn is a real standout. 

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

No, why would I want to buy that crappy movie?

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Heavy tie in to the TV series and episode about Kahn.  Same characters that appeared in the episode about Kahn.  Lots of space action.  Genesis.  Spock biting the bullet for  the "needs of the many".

1-3 were pretty good, the rest were pretty lame IMO.  And honestly of 1-3, only Wrath of Kahn is a real standout. 

Really? 1-3? I always thought 2-4 were the best 6 was acceptable. 1 was kinda a snore-fest imo.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Keyh

Really? 1-3? I always thought 2-4 were the best 6 was acceptable. 1 was kinda a snore-fest imo.

The only old ones that are still watchable for me are 2,6 and 8. The rest are either average at best or horrible at worse. They will hardly be missed.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Keyh

I liked 1 just for the voyager tie in.

Agreed the rest of the movie was marginal at best, but the V-ger(Voyager) tie in bumps it up for me.

I'm an old NASA geek, lol.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• le102071le102071 Member Posts: 12

Yes, I will be buying that...  :)

And as far as the films...  I always accepted the notion that the even numbered films were better than the odd...  I forget when that was a popular notion...  but it held true for me, for a long while...

ST4 The Voyage Home was my favorite.. 

McCoy: You're going to try time traveling in this rust bucket?

Kirk: Well we've done it before.

McCoy: Sure, you slingshot around the sun, pick up enough speed you're in time warp. If you don't, you're fried.

Kirk: I prefer it to nothing.

McCoy: I prefer a dose of common sense! You're proposing that we go backwards in time, find humpback whales, then bring them foward in time, drop 'em off, and hope to hell they tell this probe what to do with itself!

Kirk: That's the general idea.

McCoy: Well that's crazy!

Kirk: You've got a better idea? Now's the time.

:D

• ZalaciousZalacious Member Posts: 7

I had my doubts before I saw it on the big screen, but I have to say I was impressed. Can't wait to get in on blue ray

• KamenevKamenev Member Posts: 7

Anybody hear the rumor that the next Star Trek will have Kahn? I thought I read it somewhere, but I cannot track down the source. I hope it is not true...

• SuricataSuricata Member Posts: 89

Comes out on my 30th birthday, I think my girlfriend has picked up on the subtle hints :-P

---- "Fate protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise" ----

• elionbelelionbel Member Posts: 9

Oh I loved this movie! I was a little skeptical at first with Sylar and Sean of the Dead being in it (as well as Harold). But I was completely thrilled! And Mr. Scott actually made me laugh so much! He was really cast well! Sadly, Uhura still filled the same type of role she had in the TOS - mostly there as a small filler with not much screen presence.

I'm totally getting this when it comes out

>^.^<

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by Kamenev

Anybody hear the rumor that the next Star Trek will have Kahn? I thought I read it somewhere, but I cannot track down the source. I hope it is not true...

Ugh. That would be horrible.

I think Abrams has enough of his own stories to tell without rehashing stuff like that. I'm hoping for a Klingon beat-down in the next film, myself. We've never really seen The Federation and The Empire go at it. This is the perfect chance to get gritty with it.

IMO, if done right, the Abrams franchise will be set entirely before anything seen in TOS. If done really well, the final installment will reset the TOS timeline and then the Continuity Nazis can sleep easy in their Starfleet Issue PJ's.

But that's a theory for another day...

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Kamenev Anybody hear the rumor that the next Star Trek will have Kahn? I thought I read it somewhere, but I cannot track down the source. I hope it is not true...

Ugh. That would be horrible.
    I think Abrams has enough of his own stories to tell without rehashing stuff like that. I'm hoping for a Klingon beat-down in the next film, myself. We've never really seen The Federation and The Empire go at it. This is the perfect chance to get gritty with it.
    IMO, if done right, the Abrams franchise will be set entirely before anything seen in TOS. If done really well, the final installment will reset the TOS timeline and then the Continuity Nazis can sleep easy in their Starfleet Issue PJ's.

But that's a theory for another day...

Yeah, the alternate timeline is great and all, but there's a whole lot of lore in the books and episodes that could get played off of. Not every single milestone needs to be the same, and there ought to be a few years of adventures before the years of TOS. Remember that Kirk made captain a bit later in Universe Prime.

The Eugenics Wars an alternate timeline to our own, also. I think they risk losing non-fan's interests if they start talking about a war that didn't happen in the 90's.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

*sad panda face*

I don't and refuse to get blueray anything, once they stop making dvd's I will just keep buying on ITUNES, Im a sad panda that I will miss out on this, but I won't pay the way overpriced model for blueray discs. This coming from a guy who has again the life time to CO 200 bucks, just to get the stuff for STO. ya, kind of an oximoron but alas, I won't support the blue ray effort for my own reasons. However from my understanding same thing for dvd? So woot to that! I hope at least, but usually only blueray get's the special deals to get people to buy into it which again I refuse.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

Sweet just in time for my Birthday.