Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion recieving bad reviews?

MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

I honestly DO NOT understand why it is getting so harshly rated. The PvP is not forced, but even official game reviewers are stating this is true. They say the graphics are cheap considering, no they are not by any means cheap considering. And may I ask considering what? Also, why is the rating dropping so drastically, about .3 points daily. This is the FASTEST drop in any rating I have ever seen, but there is absolutely no reason for it. Personally I've played the game to 34 and I am enjoying it immensely and see no forced PvP. and if that is the case, WoW also has forced PvP. This game was advertised as a game focused on PvP anyways so please stop your whining about it. The graphics are superb, the gameplay is enticing, and yes there is a grind of sorts, but the combat makes up for it. I am just dumbfounded at the reviews i have read. I understand the game is fresh to the market, but not even Warhammer (which failed at delivering much that was promised) received better reviews than Aion. I just want to understand why one of the best games out there is getting hit so hard.

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Most if not all the reviews i've seen from professional reviewers have been positive about the game, the only bad reviews i've seen are just people posting here, or trolls with new accounts.

I don't really consider the ratings here accurate at all if thats what you've been looking at, for obvious reasons.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

hmm the only negative reviews have been from this site mostly.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

You kinda start a same threat yesterday, why do you open a new one? What do you care? Play the game as I am playing it . Don't mind the reviews, etc. The server are full, so this means people are playing it and the ones who rate it low, are just .. you know who :)

PS: Nothing against you, but do you look like the one from your avatar?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

The PvP IS forced.  If a rift opens beside of you and someone attacks you, then that IS forced PvP.  If the pvp isn't mutually agreed, then it is forced.  You can spin it anyway you want, but this game has forced PvP.

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

I agree with your concern, but like the others have said, most professional / editorial reviews have been moderately positive to positive.

As its been said before, Aion is going to get a lot of negative reviews from players (particularly EU players) who are hitting long queues at the moment. I'd wait a few months until they either quit or get in and play the game. Then see how the ratings look combined with the people who start playing in the interim.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Yah I know, but i did read a professional review that was quite terrible today, actually 2. But yah Tiph I do see what you are saying. I guess time is the only thing that will reveal what is in store for this game.

• AlesteAleste Member Posts: 64

I hope these professional reviews do not include Eurogamer's review.

That one was atrocious.

Improve Aion's Graphics with a simple text file that you can create by yourself:

-Increase in-game Field of View to 175% or more

-Increase view distance for players to 100 meters with camera at max distance

-Lots of other settings

Learn how by reading this guide at Aionsource

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/general-guides/84379-definite-guide-aions-graphical-settings-performance-tips.html

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by junzo316

The PvP IS forced.  If a rift opens beside of you and someone attacks you, then that IS forced PvP.  If the pvp isn't mutually agreed, then it is forced.  You can spin it anyway you want, but this game has forced PvP.

Mutually agreed can be entering the zone where rifts are possible.  Of course, you have no choice if you want to get anywhere near mid level or beyond in Aion.  To me I think 'forced' PvP is a silly term as nothing in an MMO is forced isnce you don't have to play it, I think the better term might be contrived PvP where you get these situations that are really not player verse player but either gank squad verse player or mob on mob.  Yes, some people like both of those but I don't think the average MMO player thinks of 20 people all leveled up and geared up for action coming through a rift to engage folks who may be alone or with a couple pals and engaged in PvE legitimate PvP.  It isn't like Aion is a huge world like in the old SWG days, these rifts open up and out flow the gank squads and even a well oiled faction can lose dozens and dozens of players before they have a chance to organize and respond in kind.

Moreover, I think what really gets people with the 'forced PvP' thing is not so much that someone can attack them without asking 'pretty please' first, it is that someone who is of such level, gear, or group size can attack them without them having any chance at all to offer a fight back.  If Aion, or MMOs in general, put in a hard cap that you couldn't attack a player 2 or 3 levels (depending on scaling of levels in the game for instance) below you then a lot more people wouldn't mind so called forced PvP.  If people didn't know full well there would be tons and tons of guilds/groups all maxed out in a regular group or alliance group or whatnot ready to engage any lone player or small group they come across then people would not mind so called 'forced' PvP.

Personally, I think the lack of controls in MMO PvP to account for the obvious advantages of level, gear, and group are what make PvP in MMOs such a controversial element requiring such a stupid decree of consent.  But the reality is that most MMO PvPers these days do everything possible to go for ganks and little to get in fair fights so the natural reaction is to want an opt in system to be able to avoid the whole gank or be ganked thing and that is understandable.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Their are zones you can go to without rifts

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Most if not all the reviews i've seen from professional reviewers have been positive about the game, the only bad reviews i've seen are just people posting here, or trolls with new accounts.
    I don't really consider the ratings here accurate at all if thats what you've been looking at, for obvious reasons.

Most pro reviews gave WAR high marks and its on life support right now. Aoc got high marks as well at release and its gone through a couple rounds of server merges. The list goes on and on.

Pro reviews are as much horse scat as anything else at release.

Reason some people have turned on Aion is for them its just too formulaic. If this is your second or even thrid MMO Aion is still a thrill, but if you have played more then that the 4 year dry spell of formulaic MMO's is tiring.

Why the stampede to indies has been happening lately.

This is not a bad thing though, at least when MMO's start doing the same thing over and over adnauseum the player base leaves forcing the industry to redefine itself.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Can we get some links to the Reviews you are speaking of?

• SerulithSerulith Member Posts: 92

Most of the people bashing Aion are the fools who think some sort of MMO savior will be released soon that will redefine MMOs, or are racists who cant accept a MMO from the eastern market.

If a reviewer were to say they hate Aion because it doesnt match their playstyle, thats fine by me. Unfortunately i have not encountered a negative review that doesnt have a racist remark or some sort of prophecy rubbish predicting a MMO savior will come and save us all.

Do what i do...ignore every single review about anything and just test it out yourself. Its more fun that way :D

• Mialily191Mialily191 Member Posts: 12

Aion will do good not great.. its a decent game i log on in my down time (at night so i dont have the wait time) the servers have droped a bit sense realse yet but this is everyone biting into the hype that it was better then WoW and Aion are 2 very Diffrent games Aion is a more PvP based Game WoW is PvE with decent PvP and Aion has Okay PvE but not great they are kinda completely diffrent but both games will do good =] and i will continue to play Aion rather it gets back reviews are not its a good game play it if you want ...

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Serulith

Most of the people bashing Aion are the fools who think some sort of MMO savior will be released soon that will redefine MMOs, or are racists who cant accept a MMO from the eastern market.
    If a reviewer were to say they hate Aion because it doesnt match their playstyle, thats fine by me. Unfortunately i have not encountered a negative review that doesnt have a racist remark or some sort of prophecy rubbish predicting a MMO savior will come and save us all.
     Do what i do...ignore every single review about anything and just test it out yourself. Its more fun that way :D

Give me a break with the racist BS.  Calling Aion a Korean grinder, even disparagingly, is simply a way of classifying the game just as you would anything else.  The reason is that many games from that region have similar styles (anime character looks), similar gameplay (grindy type timesink leveling), and other such common elements that do fairly fit under a descriptive title.  Now, whether that descriptive title is synonymous with something good or bad is subjective but it is fair to say that Aion is a Korean grinder or typical Asian game, just as in Korea they might say LotRO is a typical American game with little to no PvP and very solo/casual friendly.  Racism has very little to do with people's like or dislike of Aion, at least in the broader sense of people's commentary (as I am sure there are folks who hate Aion because they hate Asians or hate WoW because it is controlled by the jews or whatever crackpot theory such morons have).

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Quoted the wrong post...oops

Can you reach max level in these riftless zones?  Or do you need to go into zones where rifts appear in order to advance your toon?

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

Can you reach max level in these riftless zones?  Or do you need to go into zones where rifts appear in order to advance your toon?

Um ok I'm very confused at this point.

Are you looking for old Warhammer reviews or Aion reviews, either can be googled.

Not sure what riftless zones has to  do with this.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

I've been told that you can reach max level in the riftless zones. The mobs there certainly do go quite high. However, I am unsure of how many quests are in these zones. There are certainly some.

edit: doing some searching it seems that some of the info is out of date. There are higher level quests in Theoboms for example 48+, etc. There are also some higher lvl pve only instances.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171
    Originally posted by MisterSr

Yah I know, but i did read a professional review that was quite terrible today, actually 2. But yah Tiph I do see what you are saying. I guess time is the only thing that will reveal what is in store for this game.

Can you link these professional reviews? just curious.

• 7earitup7earitup Member Posts: 48

Don't play if you do not like PVP. We do not want you here anyways.

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by MisterSr

I honestly DO NOT understand why it is getting so harshly rated. The PvP is not forced, but even official game reviewers are stating this is true. They say the graphics are cheap considering, no they are not by any means cheap considering. And may I ask considering what? Also, why is the rating dropping so drastically, about .3 points daily. This is the FASTEST drop in any rating I have ever seen, but there is absolutely no reason for it. Personally I've played the game to 34 and I am enjoying it immensely and see no forced PvP. and if that is the case, WoW also has forced PvP. This game was advertised as a game focused on PvP anyways so please stop your whining about it. The graphics are superb, the gameplay is enticing, and yes there is a grind of sorts, but the combat makes up for it. I am just dumbfounded at the reviews i have read. I understand the game is fresh to the market, but not even Warhammer (which failed at delivering much that was promised) received better reviews than Aion. I just want to understand why one of the best games out there is getting hit so hard.

Provide Links of all these supposed bad professional reviews please ...

Aion v3 "RELOADED" - A glimpse into the future of the MMO genre

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

Not hard to understand, reviewers are clueless. There, done

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• xcopymmoxcopymmo Member Posts: 70

OP:

I agree, I've not been forced into PVP as of yet. There's LFM for this and that all the time and it's for quests mostly. 

I'm having a blast, at first I was scared because of the little reminders that it may be a common grind game with a monthly fee but as of yet it's just another game and a fun one =) 

Like I always say, in a few months the haters will move on to the next release =) no offense intended.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think these harsh reviewers have a point. After the first 20 levels the game becomes an increasing grind and it is very linear; players are funneled into the Abyss for PvP and yet more grinding, before entering the mainly RvR endgame. Really what a lot of players are looking for is the next generation of mmorpg to come along, this isn't it. Not a bad game by any means, and there are some players who love to grind and will find the PvP a little different, but for the rest it will bore soon, so no surprise there is rating slides or bad reviews. A year ago Funcom amazingly got good reviews for a game that was partially finished on launch, hopefully more objective reviewing will save players from trying a game that won't suit them.

• Tenken29Tenken29 Member Posts: 151

You take those kind of reviews for what they are really worth, a review of lvls 1-20.

Pledge your support to creating a PvP Community on Aion. Join our server on release.
    http://aionfactions.homelinux.com

• gringemoregringemore Member Posts: 182

I played Aion in the beta but it didnt draw me in enough to purchase or subscribe. Reminds me alot of Lineage II for some reason. I can't say I'll never play it but as for now not for me.