Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caitian

you make caitian this how cool is that

Comments

• sdgdsdgd Member Posts: 19

I know caitan may be the official name, but they are Kzinti to me ;)

• NichodeamusNichodeamus Member Posts: 7

Caitians ARE cool..  I plan to have at least several bridge officers who are Caitian.  And I've been thinking I might even make my main character one.

--
    Nichodeamus

• HittingSmokeHittingSmoke Member Posts: 27

Aren't those the cat creatures?

• NichodeamusNichodeamus Member Posts: 7

Yep...  Cat people for the win.

--
    Nichodeamus

• slingbladezslingbladez Member Posts: 26

Having options other then various shaped ridges is certainly a welcome change.  The Caitian in the movie did look pretty mean looking and would certainly be pretty cool to see in game. I do worry about some people who  may pick female caitians though *shudder* .

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Nindran

you make caitian this how cool is that

Where was the confirmation of that?

I know there was a lot of talk about caitians recently (did you all get together and plan that or something ;)), but I may have missed the dev respones...

• ZerothLawZerothLaw Member Posts: 24

I don't think it has been explicitly confirmed, but I remember asking about tails and stuff and Matt hinted yes. That indicates a possibility for Caitians.

• jackel1981jackel1981 Member Posts: 4

I was hoping that the genesis system would pull user created races randomly. Would be a cool way for users to populate the game word

• KinneasKinneas Member Posts: 29

Weren't the caits the Lyran in Star Fleet Battles and the SFC series? 

• DarkCuddlesDarkCuddles Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Kinneas

Weren't the caits the Lyran in Star Fleet Battles and the SFC series? 

I have no idea... But I like Caitans <.< 

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by jackel1981

I was hoping that the genesis system would pull user created races randomly. Would be a cool way for users to populate the game word

Please for the love of god, no. I don't have an issue with user created content generally but you have to remember that there will be a lot of jokers, morons and idiots playing this game as well as there are in every game. I wouldn't mind them having a "submit a race" feature that a race could be submitted to add to Genesis after being approved by the devs/GMs. The last thing I want to do is go out exploring and find a planet populated by purple people eaters or Elvis clones... LOL 

As for Caitians I like the idea of being able to create them. I'm hoping that because of the way their Character generator works premade race choices will be nothing more than templates. This way they could possibly have dozens of premade races as they would be nothing more than seed numbers that would be fed into the character generator to get a general look and stats for a pre-existing Star Trek race. Then you would just have to tweak it a bit to make it unique to you.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• liquidblainoliquidblaino Member Posts: 10

Caitians would be a really nice addition.

• Thal69Thal69 Member Posts: 7

A mate of mine would always RP a caitian.

Would be cool if you could make them or if there is enough intrest cryptic might make it a "selectable" race.  At least add the parts anyway.

The Lyrians, from memory, where cat people or osmething like that.  Not sure if they are the same caitians.

-koraQ

• SuricataSuricata Member Posts: 89

I can't imagine i'd want one in my bridge crew, maybe they'd be a good bartender or something :-)

---- "Fate protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise" ----

• KamenevKamenev Member Posts: 7

I have never heard of this race (sorry!). Can someone tell me what series and/or episode they are in?

• phill59898phill59898 Member Posts: 15

This race should be in the game. I for one want to have a caitian as one of my Bo.

Originally posted by Kamenev

I have never heard of this race (sorry!). Can someone tell me what series and/or episode they are in?

They are the Cat race, you see then in the animated series, theres also one in Star Trek V that attacks kirk in the bar on Nimbus.

• ak_vaderak_vader Member Posts: 8

In the SFC games they would be the Lyrans I believe, whom had some very nice ships to fly, as well as some of the better taunts.

Actually in SFC2-OP there are something like nearly 2000 different ships to fly, some of those are just model variants, but never the less a ton of choices.

• OsiasOsias Member Posts: 14

To be completely honest i hope that It's very difficult to pull of a "caitian" appearance in STO. No offence to those of you who want them but they are VERY rarely seen in ST and i just can't wrap my head around having Dozens upon Dozens upon THOUSANDS of the darn things running around STO and coughing up furballs :(

Originally posted by Osias

To be completely honest i hope that It's very difficult to pull of a "caitian" appearance in STO. No offence to those of you who want them but they are VERY rarely seen in ST and i just can't wrap my head around having Dozens upon Dozens upon THOUSANDS of the darn things running around STO and coughing up furballs :(

Or worse, coughing up Tribbles!!!!!

• elionbelelionbel Member Posts: 9

Hey!! You only cough up furballs if you continually lick yourself! Caitians are more evolved than your standard Feline Predator :p

• KinneasKinneas Member Posts: 29

I think the ship in the background looks like a Lyran ship with an ESG on.

http://www.curse.com/media/p/580400.aspx

I am comparing it to this ship from SFC  http://www.strategy-gaming.com/previews/star_trek_starfleet_command/lyran.jpg

Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

• Breach+ClearBreach+Clear Member Posts: 7

I've got no problem with the Caitian's being creatable, but they are obscure enough that I'd hate to see them included out of the box.

I never did understand why the cat people were so popular. Were they prominent in the TAS or something?

I'm indifferent to them. I'm never going to create one and I'm not going to put one on my bridge crew because of limited space and there are other species I like far better. But I'm not going to go out of my way and say that they shouldn't be in the game.

• Cpt_ObviousCpt_Obvious Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Breach+Clear

.... Were they prominent in the TAS or something?

Yes.  Lt. M'ress was an occasional replacement for Lt. Uhura at communications.  Another crewman, Lt. Arex, a 3-armed, 3-leged Edoan was the replacement for Lt. Chekov. 

• le102071le102071 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Breach+Clear

I never did understand why the cat people were so popular.

Just my opinion, you understand... but I'd say look at the worshipping of Bast over 5000 years ago, and that might have a slight bearing on it.  People are facinated by the feline species.  In a lot of science fiction and fantasy that I am aware of feline humanoids are present.  Combine the long-standing facination with cats, and having the Caitians be a legitimate (albeit sparsely represented in the series) race gives these people a sense of true excitement. 

Depending on the number of characters you are allowed to make, I may make one myself...  I've always considered myself more of a "cat-person" than a "dog-person," but my true wishes are to play in the Romulan Empire...  <grin>

Peace