Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom laying off staff

2»

Comments

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by finaticd

Originally posted by Crashloop

This wont be the last downsizing....after the expansion I imagine somewhere in the range of 90-95% of AoC's staff gone....so nothing to look foward to after but patches and the odd new instance.
    The issue is AoC does nothing better than any other MMO and a lot of things are much worse than other MMOs....if the game did well it would be expanding staff.
    It is sad but this reduction of force will let Funcom live a bit longer.

The fun part about you is that you have proven in other posts you are absolutely clueless about the game. So the red text I found to be extremely funny.

That is pure libel.

I have been dead on since I began posting, if anything the persons saying how great AoC is have been disproven time and time again.

I call that bullshit, the fun part about you was the firsts posts I saw from you were dead on. Yseemed to know things no one else did and when the financial report came, you were spot on. But after a while your attempts on trolling AoC became more and more desperate. You started to make claims that wans't really true, if people asked for something you would mention one thing of it and not the whole part. I'm sorry but your facts the last months have been nothing but assumptions and lies. Some times you are correct but often you are either lying or trying to spread false information. You have maybe been dead on, but that is in your own little happyland place where your words are the law. ;)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3093707#3093707 is a thread where I busted you so badly when it came to be clueless about the game.

"I just started playing AoC 5 minutes ago so I wrote a wall of text about how great it is"  or "AoC is growing" Those types of posts along with many other types have been disproven when players left en mass this month (AoC is affected by school but Aion is not, so Aion is a more mature game, i don't get it) and when free trials and win backs did not resubscribe.

If AoC was good it would not be borderline dead it would not have lost 33 million and the company would have fixed the game enough over a 1 year pepriod to win back some of the free trials and win backs and begin growing. So I am more right than you when it comes to Age of Conan and always have been.

A lot of posters have said how AoC is growing, that is the fun part about both fanbois and trolls, they will use the current situation the game is in and claim that it's proof of either this or that. Funcom isn't in a awesome financial position. This year they have a positive turnover so far, but they need to increase that by a lot. They will not be able to survive for years after years if they cannot start making more money. But it is not a sign they will go bankrupt anytime soon either. As long as they earn enough money to keep the production alivethey will be around.

AoC from launch and up to today is 2 different games, AoC today is a polished version of what the launch should have been. There is still bugs here and there, just like you find in any MMO, but the makority of the gamebreaking bugs is gone. The one thing they really needs to sort out now is the lag in sieges and making sieges playable. Sieges from what I have heard and understand is still the joke of the century with loads of lag. If they have fixed this lately that would be nice, but I haven't heard or seen anyone claiming that.  Funcom lost 34 million that is correct, but I have never denied this and this isn't a proof that you have been right. It's just a prrof that you try desperatly to stick to whatever "proof" you can to look less of a joke then you already do. :)

caps for emphasis.

WHAT YOU QUOTED IN RED IS 100 PERCENT CORRECT, IMPLYING THAT IT IS FALSE LOSES ALL CREDIBILITY WITH ME, FROM NOW ON YOU ARE BLOCKED.  I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR INFERIOR GAME WITH A VERY LOW AND DECLINING POPULATION AND BAD GAME MECHANICS.

Oh noes I'm blocked by a guy that totally fail at discussions. End of the world surely :)

p.s. I don't get the motive to defend this game, even the players know every area needs improvement and most should have been addressed before release. All AoC has is Conan lore all other aspects have been done much better in other games. Heck, Aion has a decision combat system where you have to weave auto attacks and you get boosts for the direction you are moving....blows AoC away, which is the only innovation AoC had.

The fun part here is the times I defend the game you will find me debate the arguments made by people that are either lying or not correct. Aion isn't a special combat system at all, sure it works and it wasn't too bad, yet AoC is a combat system I prefer due to several factors, but it's pointless to discuss these with you since you would never agree at all. your obsessed with hating AoC and I find that funny. :) Aoc needs improvements on several fields, but it is also a good game imo. The funny part is that I don't really even play the game much anymore. I have been on a brake since june and have played a few hours lately, but I won't start it upagain anytime soon. The game is good, but when you have done all that you can do and there isn't much more to do other then grind pvp xp to level 5 I rather play other games for a while. AoC have entertained me for a long time, and now these forums provide even more entertainment. The only downside is you and a few other posters who simply never reply to posts if they are proven wrong.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by emptyhand

Originally posted by Crashloop

This wont be the last downsizing....after the expansion I imagine somewhere in the range of 90-95% of AoC's staff gone....so nothing to look foward to after but patches and the odd new instance.
    The issue is AoC does nothing better than any other MMO and a lot of things are much worse than other MMOs....if the game did well it would be expanding staff.
    It is sad but this reduction of force will let Funcom live a bit longer.

The fun part about you is that you have proven in other posts you are absolutely clueless about the game. So the red text I found to be extremely funny.

I don't see what is so extremely funny about that comment. Sure it's a subjective opinion but it's an opinion shared my most players. AoC is a niche game designed for players who like graphics above all else. And layoffs are always a bad thing.

There definitely are some great aspects to AoC.  The actual combat mechanics and diversity of classes are some of the best in any MMO.

I can't really think of anohter mmo that combines the need to move while healing and anything like directional melee.  STO is coming out with directional shielding, but that's all I got.  Too bad so many other aspects just fell short at launch.  The game is much better now, but as MMOs go, it's hard to recover.

• SkellanSkellan Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Aercus

If you read the *whole* article, you will find at the bottom:
    "Funcom plans to hire 100 to 150 people in Canada over the next 18 months."

20% of 300 is 60 people laid off, which means 240 employees after. Then adding 100-150 people, the amount of employees goes up to 340-390, which is higher than the original 300. I know this is pretty difficult arithmetics...

Also to expand on this, the 60 employees who were made redundant (laid off for the Americans), could it be that this is what they preferred, instead of moving to a new country they would rather look for another job?  I know I have a workmate looking for exactly this scenario because if he is made redundant then his mortgage is covered.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,422
    Originally posted by Skellan

Originally posted by Aercus

If you read the *whole* article, you will find at the bottom:
    "Funcom plans to hire 100 to 150 people in Canada over the next 18 months."

20% of 300 is 60 people laid off, which means 240 employees after. Then adding 100-150 people, the amount of employees goes up to 340-390, which is higher than the original 300. I know this is pretty difficult arithmetics...

Also to expand on this, the 60 employees who were made redundant (laid off for the Americans), could it be that this is what they preferred, instead of moving to a new country they would rather look for another job?  I know I have a workmate looking for exactly this scenario because if he is made redundant then his mortgage is covered.

And for the non-Americans, "plans to hire" is a promise, and we all know how much a Funcom promise is worth.

Don't bet the ranch.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maakaatuumaakaatuu Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Anerelle

More stealth layoffs....Funcom is down to less than 250 employees...which means they fired more than 70 people.
    I really am starting to dislike the deception and blatant underreporting of important info. 

How many of those 250 are left working on Age of Conan?